nathanial swank

current rappers

nathanial swank    7456
Since the yeezus thread was kind of turning into a discussion of current rappers we like, I thought that this thread would be a good idea.

What rappers are you currently into, and why?
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

»infinite    2317

Blu, Kendrick Lamar, and The Cool Kids

I like Blu and Kendrick because I basically get what I want from Lupe Fiasco out from them after Lupe produced 2 less than stellar albums and stopped caring.

Blu collaborates often with some of my favorite producers such as Madlib and because of him I now have a fondness for Exile as a producer. His flow is extremely competent and his lyrics are top tier while not trying to be overtly clever for the sake of being clever and relying on punchlines. He usually paints pretty descriptive imagery and tells really good stories with his rhymes. His subject matters are interesting to me he usually rhymes about his personal journey and experiences, relationships, and his attachment to jazz music and the beats he rhymes over suit this so well. He's been very consistent too.

Kendrick is a another lyrical monster I can't get enough of. His album GKMC reminds me of Lupe Fiasco's Food and Liquor in that it's an album with an overarching narrative with the difference being GKMC has better beats imo. What made me a believer in Kendrick was the track from section 80, Rigamortus this guys rhymes and flow just fucking made my brain melt.

I like the Cool Kids because of Chuck Ingrish's beats. It's very much old school inspired and often minimalist at times but it's so pleasing to hear and really fun to listen too. I would describe their music as fun and playful something you can bang at a party or in your car with the speakers on max.

• Upvote 3

Wunsen    229

Pro Era, Black Hippy, Rejjie Snow, Mac Miller and A$AP Rocky

I feel that these guys will be the next generation of hip-hop. Personally I feel that many of the biggest rappers are well out of there prime now, and so it is almost a perfect time for new rappers to take the mainstream limelight.

• Downvote 6

nathanial swank    7456

Lil B, Pro Era/Joey, and Action Bronson

Lil B continues to be amazing and I know a real album is in the works. 

Pro Era/Joey put out amazing, amazing things. Peep was so good and I really can't wait for Summer Knights, B4.DA.$$ and King Capital. Even the other members of Pro Era put out good songs of their own (CJ Fly and Dessy Hinds), and Nyck Caution and Kirk Knight are good rappers. I love 90s East Coast stuff so Pro Era refreshing to me.

How can you not like Action Bronson? Amazing flow (never listened to Ghostface too much so it's new to me) and I love his lyrics. Everything about his music is crazy.

»Ryu    2416

How can you not like Action Bronson? Amazing flow (never listened to Ghostface too much so it's new to me) and I love his lyrics. Everything about his music is crazy.

he doesn't actually even rap like ghostface. their delivery is kind of similar but i've listened to a lot of both and they are very easily discernible.

• Upvote 2

The Main Event    259

-Really like Black Hippy atm. It's been a while since the westcoast had real lyrical monsters in Kendrick and Ab Soul, and it's great to see Jay Rock and Q finally get the recognition their getting after putting in some underground work, and some features here/there. Kdot really does remind me of an early Lupe like someone said above, but he doesn't get put into that "conscious rapper" lane like a Talib or "new" Lupe. He can still get on tracks like Fuckin' Problem - ASAP Rocky, and kill it. Honestly the whole group meshes well together with the content Soul and Kdot provide, and the rugged/gangsta side with Rock and Q. If you've never heard them all on the same track, I recommend the U.O.E.N.O. (Remix) (Black Hippy version).

-Wale: I just feel like he's been overlooked as a good lyricist ever since his Attention Deficit album didn't push the numbers expected for whatever reason (it's a great album). It's not a lot of rappers out now with lyrics that give you that "oh shit" moment when you find out what he meant in the metaphor, and he gives you that. Probably his best projects are the More About Nothing mixtape, and the Ambition album

• Upvote 1

Soul    7944

Pro Era, Black Hippy, Rejjie Snow, Mac Miller and A$AP Rocky

I feel that these guys will be the next generation of hip-hop. Personally I feel that many of the biggest rappers are well out of there prime now, and so it is almost a perfect time for new rappers to take the mainstream limelight.

No.

• Upvote 9

nathanial swank    7456
A$AP Rocky is seriously overrated. But 1 Train is so amazing so I'm happy that he is popular lol. His producers really does carry him

»neptune    3789

a$ap

kanye

joey bad (sometimes the nigga gets redundant and it sounds like he's turning jamaican)

pusha t

drake (very rare)

action bronson

blu and exile

tyga

2 chainz

mac miller (sometimes)

tyler the creator (not as much)

kendrick lamar

heems

kool a.d.

j. cole (SOMETIMES, but i really need to listen to born sinner)

sometimes i like just listening to stupid shit.

edit: i think macklemore is a good rapper but becoming overrated.

brotacular7    1574

okay more in depth:

asap rocky's mixtape was honestly pretty unreal, it was absolutely the best mixtape of the last couple of years, and shitted on most rappers albums to be honest. i could probably listen to it a thousand times. his album was so-so, not as much as i was hoping for. asap mob put out a mixtape with some pretty dope tracks (bath salt comes to mind), and flatbush zombies also has a few entertaining tracks people should check out. 

joey badass has put out a couple of tracks recently (word is bond, 95 til infinity, UNORTHODOX!), and although his mixtape 1999 was pretty repetitive i liked it a lot. looking forward to an album. nafe, i hate to break it to you but i'm not sure if a capital steez mixtape is going to be released :s

pusha t's album is coming out pretty soon, numbers on the board is dope and millions and blocka are fire, that album should hopefully be solid

don't sleep on danny brown, he has a couple projects releasing soon, just dropped a track called kush coma with rocky, and his album XXX is honestly great

action bronson has the potential to be one of the greatest, his flow and wordplay really are a step above a lot of other guys doing it right now, everyone should listen to SAAB Stories if they haven't yet. 

j cole's old mixtapes are his absolute best work, the warm up is a personal favorite tape of mine

schoolboy q is fun as fuck to listen to, yay yay is nuts.

logic is meh but his mixtape is worth a listen. welcome to forever

gunplay is seriously underrated

i haven't listened to as much blu as i want to, i'll get to it

jay rock and ab-soul are overrated, kendrick is the messiah tho

grizzly - curren$y feat. young roddy

=-|

• Upvote 1

nathanial swank    7456

it's going to be released it's called King Capital. it was supposed to be released 7/1 for free but it's pushed back and it's not going to be free (money will go to his family probably) also it would be his second mixtape, the first is Amerikkkan Corruption 

• Upvote 1

Living Legend    3798
Y'all talking in circles about the same people. Rappers I care about:

Tree
Deniro farrar
Antwon
Cities aviv
100s
Robb bank$
Lil ugly mane
Sparkmaster tape
  • Upvote 3

iNetdeck    102
Logic

Dizzy Wright

Lloyd Banks - never seen this dude release a song that wasn't fire

Rich Homie Quan
  • Upvote 1

»orangeeyes    11863

Danny Brown

Mellowhigh (Troublesome2013, Larry Fisherman, Go)

The Underachievers

Jet Age of Tomorrow

Vince Staples

ASAP is really good at A) riding hype waves and B) hiding the fact that hes a very average rapper. its not hard to see why hes so successful but I don't think he's that great nor that he has staying power

Wiggles    1370

I'm disappointed no one has mentioned Chance the Rapper. Acid Rap (imo) is the best album/tape that has come out this year  =-| If you haven't listend to it you really should.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

»orangeeyes    11863

I assumed Chance had been mentioned

Let me put my mouth where u potty boo

Sexified    244

Bronson is fun I was really into Hot Chips when it dropped felt eh about rare chandeliers tbh and havent listened to his new tape yet.  Im getting tired of his character but solid flow and rhymes tho and he seems to be having a good time doing his thing so good for him

Im on the fence about ASAP, his persona/beats are hype but he's really just not THAT good of a rapper (I dig the bone thugs flow though).  livelove was pretty good but not as amazing as a lot of people like to make it out to be, I didnt have super high expectations going into longlive and it pretty much hit that mark for me he was striving for that mainstream appeal with the album and Id say he accomplished it for sure.  also the radio edit of fuckin problems is hilarious I cant not listen to it whenever it comes on in the car

Joey is alright I mean he has great rhymes/wordplay but sometimes I feel like he tries to fit too much into each line and it can be overwhelming and I'll just stop paying attention ya know?  He needs someone to take him under their wing and work with him and give him that push, I think he made a mistake by not signing with a label and staying independent but I can see why he did it: he wanted to stay with his friends/crew (actually pretty good for what they are) which is understandable.  Anyway he's young and thirsty and Im looking forward to the tape/album hes dropping this year.

Danny brown is the man he's hilarious definitely knows what he's doing and what he wants.  Ive dug the songs hes released so far for Old cant wait for that to come out XXX was so so good.

Chance is nice and different adlibs are obnoxious.  Acid rap was good but I just stopped going back to to it after like 5ish listens through.  Pretty excited to see how he grows and develops as he gains more play/recognition.

Schoolboy is great, knows how to get people hyped and is a pretty solid rapper imo, Habits was prob my 3rd fav of last year looking forward to his new album its gonna be something to get ignant to for sure which is always fun.  Absoul is alright Control system was pretty good but I just cant get into him as much and his features lately have been ehhhh but I guess he's saving the good stuff for an album or something. 

Kendrick is tha gawd obv

Really cant wait for Run the Jewels to drop Killer Mike and Elp are great together RAP Music was fanfuckingtastic

»infinite    2317

Gave J Cole's album a listen and I thought it was meh. You would think that a brother who graduated college with high honors can rap about something other than the women he fucks and the money he's gonna spend on shit. Not that that's a deterrent it just made the album run of the mill type of shit from me especially considering this dude thinks he's the second coming of Nas and markets himself as a lyrical rapper. Also the first song almost ruined the album for me with him dropping the f-bomb left and right. Some songs was ok others flat out bored me. Over all it wasn't very memorable for me.

»infinite    2317

Run the jewels is redic good and free btw yall in here should pick it up

Here's the link to this if anyone is interested [X]

Soul    7944

Gave J Cole's album a listen and I thought it was meh. You would think that a brother who graduated college with high honors can rap about something other than the women he fucks and the money he's gonna spend on shit. Not that that's a deterrent it just made the album run of the mill type of shit from me especially considering this dude thinks he's the second coming of Nas and markets himself as a lyrical rapper. Also the first song almost ruined the album for me with him dropping the f-bomb left and right. Some songs was ok others flat out bored me. Over all it wasn't very memorable for me.

my sentiments exactly. the old cole (lost ones) had very meaningful lyrics that hit home for people going through those situations. ya kno, situations that normal people go through? now its just run of the mill fame rapping.