...Arson

NHL '13/'14 Season Thread

Matt Bishop    2377

Saleh, I think there are few similarities to Versteeg if any at all.  The Versteeg deal ended up being a first and a third for Stalberg, which I am more than okay with considering he was a sixth round pick and looked pretty average when he was here.  That and they gave up a second, fourth, and next year's fourth for a proven NHL player, that a lot of teams were reportedly going after.  There is a reason why a lot of teams were after his services.  Given that and the fact that he is a hometown guy and likely to re-sign here, I think it was a pretty good pickup.  I mean I am not going to try to tell you they just traded for Wayne Gretzky, but the deal worked well for both teams.

The Canucks got fleeced for Schneider, that is really all there is to it.  I thought it was a little funny too that the Oilers were reportedly going hard after Cory Schneider and then stopped because the asking price was too high, and then he got traded for so little to New Jersey.  To me it seemed like Gillis just ran out of options and could not have both Schneider and Luongo coming back to the Canucks this season, realized that and pulled the trigger to get Horvat.  For Schneider it is a little funny, because he makes a lateral move for a year into a situation similar to the one he was in, in Vancouver, where instead of being behind Luongo, he is behind Brodeur now.  Given Brodeur will likely retire at the end of next season though, he is going to be "the guy" going forward for them, and I cannot see them letting him get away to free agency either.  I wouldn't be surprised if we see Schneider make a good number of starts either, especially with Brodeur getting older and next year is an Olympic year, so a more condensed schedule as a result.

I truthfully feel like the Islanders got robbed blind today by trading Niederreiter for Clutterbuck/3rd.  However, Niederreitter did not want to sign there so obviously opposing gms would be dealing in a position of strength knowing this information.  Regardless, I feel like they should have tried to get more than they did.  Great trade for the Wild overall.

»...Arson    7756

There was an article I read once about 1st rounders that we're traded within the first 2 years of them being drafted. Large majority were busts. Makes me wonder about F.Forsberg, J.Morrow and now Nino. Nino was drafted in 2010 though, so it's 3 years... and he seemed to do well in the AHL. Never heard anything about him not wanting to sign, can't imagine why. They're getting a new Arena and you'll live in NY.

I'm not huge on Montreals draft day, but I'm not upset by any means. I wanted a big winger, just maybe with a bit more goal scoring... Really hopes McCarron plays on the Knights next year. He'll see alot more hockey there, and if you're gonna draft a guy to be a goon then let him learn in the best environment available.

Drafting goalies high isn't usually smart (lol, carey) but they maintain their valuable pretty well. Fucale is a good asset.

Artturi Lehkonen and Jacob De Le Rose were great picks. Habs needed to stock the cupboards with some skilled wingers. De La Rose is also big, which is nice.

Then the Habs went and drafted two over-agers... in the 3rd fucking round. Are you kidding? Doesn't make any sort of sense to me. Neither player (Connor Crisp or Sven Andrighetto) seem to be all that great either. Fuck. Take them with late picks or invite them to camp and sign them. Terrible asset management IMO.

Martin Reway is small, but scored ppg in his rookie Q season. Timmins is money with these picks. (Hudon, Gallagher.)

Gregoire I don't really don't have much of an opinion. average size, not the best scorer. apparently "gritty". great.

Matt Bishop    2377

There was an article I read once about 1st rounders that we're traded within the first 2 years of them being drafted. Large majority were busts. Makes me wonder about F.Forsberg, J.Morrow and now Nino. Nino was drafted in 2010 though, so it's 3 years... and he seemed to do well in the AHL. Never heard anything about him not wanting to sign, can't imagine why. They're getting a new Arena and you'll live in NY.

I'm not huge on Montreals draft day, but I'm not upset by any means. I wanted a big winger, just maybe with a bit more goal scoring... Really hopes McCarron plays on the Knights next year. He'll see alot more hockey there, and if you're gonna draft a guy to be a goon then let him learn in the best environment available.

Drafting goalies high isn't usually smart (lol, carey) but they maintain their valuable pretty well. Fucale is a good asset.

Artturi Lehkonen and Jacob De Le Rose were great picks. Habs needed to stock the cupboards with some skilled wingers. De La Rose is also big, which is nice.

Then the Habs went and drafted two over-agers... in the 3rd fucking round. Are you kidding? Doesn't make any sort of sense to me. Neither player (Connor Crisp or Sven Andrighetto) seem to be all that great either. Fuck. Take them with late picks or invite them to camp and sign them. Terrible asset management IMO.

Martin Reway is small, but scored ppg in his rookie Q season. Timmins is money with these picks. (Hudon, Gallagher.)

Gregoire I don't really don't have much of an opinion. average size, not the best scorer. apparently "gritty". great.

They are the Islanders, nobody ever wants to sign there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nino_Niederreiter

Note near the end of professional career.  I know wiki isn't really a source, but if you fully believe that Garth Snow was never aware that he was "unhappy" then you are very naive.  The guy was not invited to camp post-lockout.  What 5th overall pick would not be unhappy with that?

Wild Caniac    421
Still disappointed at the way the Hurricanes were 1 pick from Jones. However, Lindholm will be great. Loved the Clutterbuck trade.

ATJdragon    967

I was originally quite underwhelmed by the haul for Cory but after reading an article regarding trades for goalies in the past 2 seasons the only haul that is probably better is the 1st and 2nd rounder for Varlamov. however, 2013 is a deep draft while 2012 was known to be pretty shit. 

could the luongo/cory saga been handled better? most definitely yes, that is quite obvious. did we get ripped for cory? at most we wouldve gotten another pick thats at best in the 2nd rounder. given the timing ordeal the canucks' backs were to the wall so at least we resolved the situation and got a good asset back. keep in mind, luongo is the undisputed best goalie in franchise history and when he signed that contract he was a top 5 (and is still at least a top 10) goalie in the league. therefore, it was kind of lucky that cory panned out the way he did but keep in mind cory has yet to play even 35 games in the NHL so in some ways hes still unproven (albeit with amazing potential). Erikson and Lack are on the way, they have a similar level of promise that Cory had when he was younger

tl:dr

goalies arent worth as much as skaters so what Vancouver got for cory was ok but not the best. 

Winnipeg got a good deal for Frolik, wow. 

Toronto made a good move getting Bolland, dont need to overpay for Bozak. hopefully Bolland doesnt require too many dollars to re-sign

Minnesota got a good deal trading away Clutterbuck

San Jose got a 2nd rounder and Tyler Kennedy for 4 months of Douglas Murray lol

»...Arson    7756

Had no idea Nino wasn't invited to camp. That's insane, he was playing full-time during the lockout. Getting Nino for the rights to Clutterbuck was a pretty decent deal for Minny.

Horvat has some hype, anyone in that top ten is highly touted prospect. Not a bad return, and I agree with everything else. Was it Vancouver who turned down the Kadri deal or did the Leafs?

I thought that was a great deal for Frolik too. This guy has scored 20 goals twice and he's 25. Career 14 goals, 35 point/82 games average. He scored 20 in his rookie/sophomore seasons. Production went down when he came to Chicago... Wasn't getting top lines minutes maybe? lol

The Sharks still have a cup run in them. That team needs to go for it. Kennedy being signed makes me think bye-bye Gomez. Unless they want him on the 4th line. He can kill penalties. Give Jumbo and Couture the juicy minutes.

ATJdragon    967

im pretty sure the Leafs never formally made an offer involving Kadri. most likely gillis had a trade offer that involved Kadri and toronto said no. 

Frolik has been deployed as a checker ever since he got to Chicago. I dont know why, his pedigree is to be a scorer.  Over the last two seasons he has totaled 20 minutes in power play time. That's total. Not per season - both seasons.

+rei+    34512

I like Frolik and he will be good in Winnipeg because someone gotta shoot 

ATJdragon    967

yeah, i think hell probably play with Jokinen and Kane so they can keep the Ladd/Little/Wheeler line intact

[quote]

4. Quote of the draft from one executive on seeing Nashville Predators GM David Poile's reaction to getting Seth Jones: "I've never seen him so giddy in public."

5. Predators head coach Barry Trotz immediately said Jones would partner with Shea Weber, which would create a rare righty-righty defensive pairing. Phil Housley, just hired to tutor Nashville's defencemen, said he wasn't worried, pointing out that playing on the off-wing will allow Jones to see the ice better as he carries it through the neutral zone. Housley added that Jones and Weber are so lengthy that it will allow both to play at the top of the power play, which lessens the concern of two right-handed shots hurting the ability to create one-timers.

[/quote]

Wow. two righties on the same top pairing. needless to say thats rare. 

[quote]

18. I don't have a problem with no-trade clauses, but sometimes they burn the player as much as the team. Luongo could have gone to the Toronto Maple Leafs at last year's draft, but he was focussed on Florida and declined. The Panthers, knowing they were in a position of strength, drew a hard line. Just before the lockout, it was believed both Toronto and Edmonton were possible destinations. Again, it didn't happen. Toronto left the picture once team president and GM Brian Burke was fired. 

[/quote]

Intriguing. maybe it is luongo's fault vancouver doesnt have bozak and/or kadri

+rei+    34512

TJ Galiardi to Calgary for a pick 

kovah    25

I have been hearing that Oilers offered their first pick, 2nd pick and maybe a prospect for schneider but Vancouver didn't want to trade him interdivision, and thus took the lesser return from NJ.

ATJdragon    967

i heard EDM didnt actually offer it but that was the asking price for cory. when they found out thats all NJ gave for him, EDM was floored. the 2nd rounder + prospect would be the supposed 'inter-division tax', vancouver wouldnt want to play in the playoffs against him and that was enough to not get the extra asset. 

i heard carolina considered picking bo horvat at #5 but went with lindholm. some teams had horvat rated very highly due to his ohl/memorial cup performance. 

Matt Bishop    2377

Vinny to Flyers 5yrs, 22.5, 4.25 cap hit.

ATJdragon    967

eww 5 years but good cap hit. 

now the flyers have Giroux, Couturier, Lecavalier, Schenn, and Talbot at center. Im guessing Schenn moves to the wing permanently. 

Matt Bishop    2377

Leafs compliance buyout Komisarek (surprise, surprise)

»...Arson    7756

habs development camp roster already released. im gonna love this short summer.

»...Arson    7756

so dumb. so fucking dumb.

they're closing libraries. the fire chief says he's understaffed. 90% of the public speakers weren't even from glendale.

Arizona Coyotes.

christ.

• Upvote 1

ATJdragon    967

that team needed to be moved. the city has an out-clause after 5 years if they lose too much money if i read correctly

• Upvote 1

»...Arson    7756

basically they have a budget for 6 million. if after 5 years the team moves, anything they spend over 6 million will be reimbursed.

so they're still out 30 million if they leave lol.

»...Arson    7756

what's a libraries budget for a year? how many firemen can 6 million pay in a year? dumb.