...Arson

NHL '13/'14 Season Thread

+rei+    34656

GRABOVSKI BEING BOUGHT OUT DAVE NONIS IS THE FUNNIEST PERSON IN THE NHL RIGHT NOW TAKE THAT FEASTER. 

+rei+    34656

From Reddit:

I'm going to let the leafs be my palbearers so they can let me down one last time 

• Upvote 1

+rei+    34656

"Hey Nonis suck it!"

-Peter Chiarelli trading Tyler Seguin to the Dallas Stars. 

+rei+    34656

Seguin and Peverly for Eriksson, Fraser, Morrow, and Smith

»...Arson    7756

please dont sign briere fuck

»...Arson    7756

hey how about

dont sign briere

claim grabovski.

+rei+    34656

I'd take briere's 15-20 goals for 4 mil over Grabbo's 16 for 5.5 

+rei+    34656
I am officially crossing off Daniel Briere's name from my list of "names to always boo on bell centre ice"

ATJdragon    967

horcoff to dallas. high cap hit but only 3m and 4m in actual salary

wow dallas is aggressive, jim nill is making shit happen. 

trades and signs sergei gonchar

drafts nicushkin with gonchar as a mentor

trades eriksson and propsects for seguin and peverley

trades for a 3rd line center

team looks solid now

• Upvote 3

Matt Bishop    2377

The Briere signing was far better than the idea of picking up Grabo.  That and they could just sign Grabo after his compliance buyout for way less than what the Leafs just bought him out of.  But I wouldn't be that surprised if he went the KHL route either.

That said, I am unsure on who I think "won" the Seguin trade.  I mean, while I think that Seguin is probably the best player in the deal, the rumors of off-ice distractions cannot be ignored.  Eriksson is also just coming into his prime and this deal allows them to sign Rask better.  Although Peverley was a pretty decent third-line center on that team, he was expendable.  The jury will remain out for now, but if Seguin turns into the player people think he will be then this trade could go sour for Boston pretty quickly.  And although Seguin has off-ice issues, another young player that came into the league a few years ago had off-ice issues from his hometown in Buffalo.  Same young player went on to hoist his second Stanley Cup earlier this spring for the Chicago Blackhawks and first Conn Smythe trophy.  (Patrick Kane, of course) 

• Upvote 1

ATJdragon    967

Dallas won the deal.

Hockey-wise, Seguin is the best player in the trade, very rarely do you get a player of that caliber and potential while so young and at center. Eriksson is a fantastic 2-way top line winger at a great cap hit but hes not nearly as offensively dynamic. 

Peverley is well worth the remaining 2 years of 3 million per year so hes not a negative. Dallas gave up prospects that arent necessarily blue chippers (even joe morrow, traded twice so soon is concerning)

Boston had to do it to shed some salary so they can re-sign other players so they accomplished their goal. ergo, their team got slightly worse due to the cap haha. 

• Upvote 1

»...Arson    7756

I'd take briere's 15-20 goals for 4 mil over Grabbo's 16 for 5.5 

i'll take Grabovski's 20 goals (pace over last 122 games) while getting tons of tough minutes and defensive zone starts over Briere's 17 (his pace over last 104 games) on the powerplay. I mean it's not like Galchenyuk/Eller would do well with those minutes.

Also Grabovski has missed 9 games in the past 3 seasons. 

»...Arson    7756

The Briere signing was far better than the idea of picking up Grabo.  That and they could just sign Grabo after his compliance buyout for way less than what the Leafs just bought him out of.  But I wouldn't be that surprised if he went the KHL route either.

Grabovski for 5.5 wasn't a horrendous over payment, he was used terribly. He'd be 1.5 million more expensive than Briere for 2 more seasons... he's 29!

I'd rather have the better player and deal with the mess then. Also the only way this Briere signing isn't a complete disgrace is if DD gets traded. If you knew you could move that contract, there's soooo many better alternatives than fucking Briere.

Joe.    4932

Seguin could score 40 goals in Dallas and I am fine with the trade. He would have never developed into that type of player in our system, just wasn't going to happen.

ATJdragon    967
Grabo for 5.5 for 4 more years is fine. I'm surprised the leafs couldn't find a taker even if its only a draft pick. Hope the Canucks get him.

You'll become a briere fan when he scores playoff goals lol

And agreed, Tyler wouldn't develop to his full potential on Boston.
  • Upvote 1

»...Arson    7756

It was a great deal for both sides. Seguin has more value, but Boston got an elite winger and 2 pretty decent prospects in return. Peverly is an underrated part of this trade.

Dallas had to do something though. Eakins isn't a #1. They lost Richards and Ribeiro... they were lost at centre. Now their middle looks amazing. They've got a couple young D who are up and coming (I know Dillon had a great year, even had a few Calder votes from some western writers I think.)

They also needed a marketable star. Benn is great, but kind of a boring dude. Seguin is a former #2 overall 21, year old with a cup and 2 full tattoo sleeves. He's perfect.

Wild Caniac    421

Yeah, i like the trade for both teams too. It's rare that a blockbuster trade involving such highly touted prospects (in this case Seguin and Eriksson) ends up being pretty fair. The other prospects included so far even it out as well. Dallas was atrocious at center last year, but now Dallas is looking up. Definitely the surprisingly agressive team here. New coach, uniforms, and a whole batch of new players to build around Benn and Seguin is insane.

»...Arson    7756

Reilly Smith is 23 scored like 35 pts in 45 games in the AHL and then played the rest of the year with Dallas.

Other guy is 22 and scored 30 in the AHL. He might have done it twice, not 100%.

oh yeah and joe morrow. although being traded twice doesn't bode well.

Matt Bishop    2377

Dallas won the deal.

Hockey-wise, Seguin is the best player in the trade, very rarely do you get a player of that caliber and potential while so young and at center. Eriksson is a fantastic 2-way top line winger at a great cap hit but hes not nearly as offensively dynamic. 

Peverley is well worth the remaining 2 years of 3 million per year so hes not a negative. Dallas gave up prospects that arent necessarily blue chippers (even joe morrow, traded twice so soon is concerning)

Boston had to do it to shed some salary so they can re-sign other players so they accomplished their goal. ergo, their team got slightly worse due to the cap haha. 

I mean, Eriksson has scored 26+ goals in each of the previous four seasons, is a fantastic defensive forward.  Seguin had a down year last year and a really bad playoffs.  I'm looking forward to how he does on Dallas though, them being one of my favourite teams. :)

+rei+    34656

Philly, a team already in negative cap space and who's starting goaltender this season is currently Steve Mason,  throws 8.25 mil a year for 8 years at Giroux

+rei+    34656

Signing Emery is a good move esp for 1 year though.

Nabokov resigns with the islanders AND WE'RE OFF> 

+rei+    34656

Grabovski clears waivers.