...Arson

NHL '13/'14 Season Thread

I'll give Johnson and Palat their due. They're very likely the future of Tampa after stamkos fades away, then again stamkos is young.

Killorn is on/off and idc about hedman

ATJdragon    967

stamkos is 24 this year lol. he'll be fine. hedman is showing signs of franchise potential, lets see if he can continue to improve but as it stands he currently isnt a franchise player (see Drew Doughty). 

generally speaking, learning from the detroit coaching tree is pretty damn legit. 

+Malcolm    4603

one good year turns you into a franchise player

interesting

• Downvote 1

»...Arson    7756

23 years old with 333 NHL GP so far, 144 pts in those games, 100+ with number one minutes... He's at the very least a number one defensemen, I'll concede the franchise tag because he isn't at the level of Doughty/Subban/Karlsson/Weber yet but he's friggin' close. I watched a fair bit of him this year and he's very, very good.

»...Arson    7756

one good year turns you into a franchise player

interesting

He was also Tampa's best D in the shortened season.

ATJdragon    967

neither 1.5 good years nor 'best d on team'  make him a franchise D either. he has that kind of potential but we shouldnt label that term on him just yet. 

+rei+    34637
jesus christ hedman is an advanced stats beast, 9-11th in the league in terms of D with >100 min played in iCorsi, iFenwick, and both stats/60min, third in pts/60min (only people in front of him are Chad BIllins and Mike Kostka and he's got ten times the sample size)

(TIL rather than contributing meaningfully to the 'is this second overall pick top of the league defenseman a franchise player' argument)

»...Arson    7756

i was gonna go the pedigree argument but meh. theyre right that it hasn't been long enough to dub him a franchise player... but being 23 with that much experience already and playing 100+ games at that level... likely a safe bet!

ATJdragon    967

from the looks of it, willie desjardins has spurned the pittsburgh penguins coaching job for the vancouver canucks coaching job. feels good lol. we should know by early next week. 

+rei+    34637
that awkward moment where the best available coaching candidate for pittsburg is dan bylsma

+rei+    34637
woah woah woah brad richards is being bought out?

ATJdragon    967
Super awkward indeed. Further reports have indicated that willie desjardins spurned the Pittsburgh offer because they only offered 2 years and no authority to hire assistant coaches.

Quite possibly the dumbest thing I've ever heard when trying to get your top coaching candidate

ATJdragon    967

yeah idk what pitty is doing. i sure hope they arent wasting the prime years of crosby and geno