rei

Mafia New Games Hosting Queue

+mmf    23483

Settle on some kind of ranking system. I don't care if you guys use the Elo system that Allen made for you years ago or something else, just make some kind of consistent, recurring ranking system. Every year, when MafiaUniverse has their annual championships, you send the #1 ranked player on this site to that game. Alternatively, you do what I suggested and what was shot down by PSK and other idiots last year, which is host a DGz Regional Mafia Qualifier, and give the invite to the MVP of that game as determined by every Mafia Mod. It doesn't matter which one of these you guys do as long as you do one of them.

[1:46 PM] Sophocles: How about we let the ppl who actually use the mafia section decide how to run it

On 12/11/2017 at 3:40 PM, Jazz said:

What's up with the queue it hasn't been updated since I was a mafioso

hmm...

• Upvote 2

Jazz    5113
1 hour ago, Sophocles said:

i think that's very town favored but I'm willing to give it a try  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

how is it town favored? what would you suggest to balance it?

Solstice    378
9 hours ago, Jazz said:

Solstice posted about remaking witch hunt a while back to be less shitty so I made this the other day:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Yj1MqqBFOeQhSXu91Rlg1vt9qTutF_MTdJScVRkRec0/edit#gid=331702482

Undecided if keeping angels/demons and fake kill is a good idea or not. Could go either way. Thoughts?

Key differences:

- Lynches always flip but other deaths are hidden (flips given to gd)

- Judge is fixed for forum (cannot lynch a third party, must break the tie)

- Peeping Tom is nerfed to not work on dead people

- Bomber is randomized n0

- I chose what I think are the best combination of roles to fill out a 13 player game with 3 witches

I think the key is making the game lynch flip. Playing games where the lynches don't flip is super shitty. Sure it would be great info for town to know what the flips of the vigilante and night kills are too but I think this solves the top complaint about witch hunt while still keeping the gravedigger somewhat useful. So witches effectively have an unlimited janitor but there are multiple ways to counteract it including gravedigger, an apprentice who chose gravedigger, peeping tom, and spiritualist. I think it could be fun to try

You remembered. :wub:  I still do think something like this would be fun to play, but there are some changes I'd make to what you have in the docs.  I don't think it's necessarily town sided like soph said, I think it's more whoever gets emissary sided personally.  

In the google docs you have apprentices learning the identity of judge/gravedigger, but it doesn't say anything about them taking over the role once that player dies (as they do in normal witch hunt).  Was this just accidentally left off, or something you actually wanted to change?  I prefer the old way as this majorly nerfs the role and makes it a lot less useful (especially with your judge nerf).  

Peeping Tom working on dead players and being able to carry out their night action for them is literally the best part of the role, and changing it is a major nerf.  As the role works by calling a character name (hunter, bomber) as opposed to player name, they may end up calling the role of a dead player without knowing it if they're killed at night as that won't flip.  I can't tell if your change in the docs meant it to go by player name instead of role (Jazz, Solstice) in which case I'm not sure if that makes the role more or less powerful.  It'd be worth trying it once to find out I suppose.

I know the randomized bomb thing became part of the section rules, but I've personally always hated it.  Giving the bomb to yourself to start the game is a very good strategy as you can pass it off to whoever's likely to be the next lynch and then nuke them right away, effectively saving town a day.  (Or if you're scum, whoever is the biggest threat, or just pass it around your teammates to maintain control)  Or even just start it off on a stronger player who will likely have better reads then you and pass it off to scum to be blown up.  I think there should be as little RNG in games as possible; it's one of the reasons I usually have ties end in no lynch as opposed to coinflipping it.  

You nerfed gambler to only to only work the FIRST time they would be killed, but left in emissary as an unlimited 3 day & night immunity!?  Either revert gambler back to normal, nerf emissary, or take emissary out for something less OP.  Emissary would personally be one of the last characters I ever pick to put in due to how strong it is.  I'd only ever put it in over instant use roles like assasin and spiratulist, and even then only because the hosts aren't always home when the players are, so that info wouldn't likely get to the players until hours later.  

Those are my major gripes, otherwise I think it's fine and would definitely play it.  (I'd probably play it even if you left it like this.) 

Edited by Solstice
  • Upvote 3

Jazz    5113
3 hours ago, Solstice said:

You remembered. :wub:  I still do think something like this would be fun to play, but there are some changes I'd make to what you have in the docs.  I don't think it's necessarily town sided like soph said, I think it's more whoever gets emissary sided personally.  

In the google docs you have apprentices learning the identity of judge/gravedigger, but it doesn't say anything about them taking over the role once that player dies (as they do in normal witch hunt).  Was this just accidentally left off, or something you actually wanted to change?  I prefer the old way as this majorly nerfs the role and makes it a lot less useful (especially with your judge nerf).  

Peeping Tom working on dead players and being able to carry out their night action for them is literally the best part of the role, and changing it is a major nerf.  As the role works by calling a character name (hunter, bomber) as opposed to player name, they may end up calling the role of a dead player without knowing it if they're killed at night as that won't flip.  I can't tell if your change in the docs meant it to go by player name instead of role (Jazz, Solstice) in which case I'm not sure if that makes the role more or less powerful.  It'd be worth trying it once to find out I suppose.

I know the randomized bomb thing became part of the section rules, but I've personally always hated it.  Giving the bomb to yourself to start the game is a very good strategy as you can pass it off to whoever's likely to be the next lynch and then nuke them right away, effectively saving town a day.  (Or if you're scum, whoever is the biggest threat, or just pass it around your teammates to maintain control)  Or even just start it off on a stronger player who will likely have better reads then you and pass it off to scum to be blown up.  I think there should be as little RNG in games as possible; it's one of the reasons I usually have ties end in no lynch as opposed to coinflipping it.  

You nerfed gambler to only to only work the FIRST time they would be killed, but left in emissary as an unlimited 3 day & night immunity!?  Either revert gambler back to normal, nerf emissary, or take emissary out for something less OP.  Emissary would personally be one of the last characters I ever pick to put in due to how strong it is.  I'd only ever put it in over instant use roles like assasin and spiratulist, and even then only because the hosts aren't always home when the players are, so that info wouldn't likely get to the players until hours later.  

Those are my major gripes, otherwise I think it's fine and would definitely play it.  (I'd probably play it even if you left it like this.) 

I have apprentice as absorbing the role on death. It might have be worded awkwardly or something.

I was really not sure what to do about peeping tom because it seems too easy to use in conjunction with priest. How is this not totally busted? What would you do?

I really strongly believe in RNG. Luck is part of life. If RNG can be used to enhance the experience of a game it should be used in my opinion. That's what RNG does with forum mafia ties and night zero actions. Ties because forum mafia is too slow and we have people in many different time zones, if we were playing in real life and everyone was required to vote at the end of the cycle, it would not be a problem at all. I don't think RNG for ties compromises the quality of the game--in fact it enhances it greatly. n0 actions unfortunately need to be randomized because of the out of game info / targeting problem. It's cute to use strategy but often the wording of the text suggests you cannot give items to yourself either.

I could get rid of emissary. I don't know what to replace it with off the top of my head. I didn't mean to nerf gambler.

Jazz    5113

Tempted to get rid of angels + demons and keep the fake NK to throw a bone to scum. I think angels + demons just makes the game more swingy and more tedious. The main reason I included them is to keep the fake NK, which I think is a pretty fun part of witch hunt. The problem is without angels a fake NK is only believable if the target has an extra life or an ability that lets them survive. There are no other doctors in the game.

Solstice    378
21 hours ago, Jazz said:

I have apprentice as absorbing the role on death. It might have be worded awkwardly or something.

I was really not sure what to do about peeping tom because it seems too easy to use in conjunction with priest. How is this not totally busted? What would you do?

I really strongly believe in RNG. Luck is part of life. If RNG can be used to enhance the experience of a game it should be used in my opinion. That's what RNG does with forum mafia ties and night zero actions. Ties because forum mafia is too slow and we have people in many different time zones, if we were playing in real life and everyone was required to vote at the end of the cycle, it would not be a problem at all. I don't think RNG for ties compromises the quality of the game--in fact it enhances it greatly. n0 actions unfortunately need to be randomized because of the out of game info / targeting problem. It's cute to use strategy but often the wording of the text suggests you cannot give items to yourself either.

I could get rid of emissary. I don't know what to replace it with off the top of my head. I didn't mean to nerf gambler.

1. If you meant apprentice to get their role on death that's good, I just didn't see that mentioned in the docs at all.  Glad it stayed that way.

2. Peeping Tom can only target NON HOLY (so not priest or acolyte) characters.  So he can't spy on the priest if that's what you were worried would be busted.  If you meant something else I don't follow and am going to need a better explanation.

3. I'm going to have to agree to disagree with you on the RNG thing, if you're hosting it's ultimately up to you and I don't want to derail the thread. I just would rather lose/win because of play based reasons then RNG.

4. Glad you reverted gambler.  As for a replacement for emissary...  Oracle / watchman / benevolent old dame / acolyte / nurse / inquisitor / fortune teller.  Take your pick.  Inquisitor would personally be my preference, but any of them work.  I think oracle and watchman are in the core set (generally meant to be used before the bonus characters) if that affects your decision any.  There are even a few others I didn't list like loose cannon, assassin, etc.) 

5. I'm ok with getting rid of angels and demons (that way priest doesn't have to second guess every scan), but like you said without them the fake NK thing is only believable as a real NK if they want to claim survivor/gambler/emissary or someone who received an extra life from nurse/benevolent old dame (but I think the recipient of both of those are announced publicly if I remember correctly) or fanatic who got an extra life via priest check.  You could keep it in as wifom for if they fake killed a town to make you think they were scum I guess. 

Edited by Solstice

+Sophocles    3001
12 hours ago, mmf said:

hmm...

The section doesn't even keep a simple list up to date, imagine what'd happen to an irrelevant ranking system no one cares about (|:|)

1 hour ago, Faint said:

Someone make a game

Just in case I'm gonna prepare something but hopefully, someone has their act together and I won't have to host right now. 

• Upvote 1

Jazz    5113

Mafioso mods are supposed to handle this. That is a big part of their job.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 3

»JC.    4858

@Jazz consider your witch hunt game approved

im gonna nuke the queue and reread the past few pages

sometimes i cry a little inside

F5wtqsL.png

• Upvote 2

So tbh I'd rather not host if I don't have to right away and Jazz doesn't want to be the host of his setup right now so perhaps someone can take his setup and host it themselves as Jazz has suggested on Discord 

»JC.    4858

haven't checked the discord but i might just run a 9 or 11 player game and start signups tomorrow if i can design it quick enough

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

Jazz    5113

The setup I posted is open. I cannot host any time soon unfortunately.

»JC.    4858

I don't really like witch hunt so idk if I would want to run it myself.

Will do an open setup, though. Thoughts on:

9 players, 2 scum

1 joat (cop/doc/vig)

1 scum joat (godfather/strongman/roleblock)

Vanillas

»JC.    4858

Actually, we'll do a community game, I think. It'll be a fun/casual one for the holidays.

+Sophocles    3001
On 13-12-2017 at 11:15 PM, Jazz said:

how is it town favored? what would you suggest to balance it?

re: this

Wasn't Witch hunt extensively playtested to end up with something balanced? 

I just think if you change something as significant as this it probably will need to include another change to favor witches

ニック    17

When can mafia games be expected to start back up?

If someone needs someone to host it, they can PM me the theme to host, and ill run it if anyone wants to do that.

Not so good at "creating" but I am good at hosting.

"Prefer without Host requiring to be online based on actions, so I can take it at leisure so plz no inno child" lol

ニック    17
On 12/17/2017 at 3:53 PM, JC. said:

I don't really like witch hunt so idk if I would want to run it myself. 

Will do an open setup, though. Thoughts on:

9 players, 2 scum

1 joat (cop/doc/vig)

1 scum joat (godfather/strongman/roleblock)

Vanillas

Looks good mate.

Vote: Jap Nick for Host

• Thanks 1

»JC.    4858
14 hours ago, ニック said:

Looks good mate.

You can post signups if you want.

• Thanks 1

+Sophocles    3001

I was thinking about posting signups for a simple set-up tomorrow or smth, after sleeping in, but yea you're very welcome to post something sooner if you want to

ZeroPassion    697
16 hours ago, ニック said:

Looks good mate.

I can host instead so you can play. My schedule is going to be rather thin as I prepare for my next semester of college and you haven't played in ages.

ニック    17
On 12/31/2017 at 11:29 PM, ZeroPassion said:

I can host instead so you can play. My schedule is going to be rather thin as I prepare for my next semester of college and you haven't played in ages.

Okay I remember those periods, the periods where you barely have time to host, and never have time for the game :D

On 12/31/2017 at 11:29 PM, ZeroPassion said:

And by thin, I mean that I'd rather host than play, tbh.

Figures

On 12/31/2017 at 8:43 PM, JC. said:

You can post signups if you want.

But I lack imagination and don't want to bore people D:

If someone has a good idea for a non boring setup then i'll host it?