rei

Mafia Rules / 101

+rei+    34494

These rules are adapted from the old YF - full disclosure that's where I cut my teeth on Mafia and while they're our competitors in a lot of ways, they do mafia well and I'm willing to admit they're my inspiration here. 

1: Mafia is a pretty big time commitment, with games going for a couple weeks frequently. Please don't sign up if you don't want to play, and if you believe you wont be able to participate mid-game, request to be subbed out. Substitutions are acceptable and encouraged

2: Please don't ragequit and get yourself intentionally modkilled. Be a good sport as if you basically turf a game because things weren't going your way we may limit your participation in future games. Don't complain about the role you were given either.

3: Don't spam sign up threads too much. People like seeing who signed up for their games and dont want to dig through pages of idle banter

4: Don't post in a game you're not involved in or have already been killed in (A single OMGUS post after dying is usually ok, depending on host)

But the real question is "How do I play?"
Here is a simple flash video to help you out
Link which hopefully hasnt turned into an embed

It'll help break down the game and what to do. 

Here is a faq lifted from YF, I believe it was written by Saint CHristopher there (former ETC admin too).

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. I'm new to the game. What should I do?
There is no single correct way to play Mafia. All players have their own styles, and Mafia is a matter of being able to read through those styles. There are some conventional wisdoms, however, which you may find useful for starting out. For an explanation of how the game works/how to play, refer to the explanation above or to the Flash tutorial linked also above. Read through some past games to see examples of how the game runs. Once you know the basics, go sign up for a game!
Also, make sure to pay attention to all rules for the game you are in. And be active.

Q. What does FoS and HoS mean?
FoS stands for "Finger of Suspicion." It's a way of pointing out who you think is scummy without actually committing a vote. HoS, or "Hand of Suspicion" is a "stronger" version of the FoS.

Q. What does WIFOM mean?
WIFOM stands for "Wine In Front Of Me," a reference to the movie The Princess Bride. Mafiascum defines it as:

Originally Posted by Definition of WIFOM
WIFOM is the circular reasoning that results from trying to determine the choices of an opponent who acted with full knowledge that their behavior would be subject to scrutiny.

LINK to the page about WIFOM

Q. What does OMGUS mean?
This will usually appear in the context of an "OMGUS vote." OMGUS stands for "Oh My God! You Suck!" Basically, an OMGUS refers to voting someone just because they voted for you.

Q. What does PBPA mean?
Post-By-Post Analysis. This is the process of examining all of a player's posts, one at a time, as a means of judging whether or not he/she is Mafia.

Q. What does "LyLo" or "LoL" mean?
Both abbreviations refer to a "lynch or lose" game state. This is when the Town is met with the ultimatium of correctly lynching a Mafia member or losing the game, as a mislynch in this state will result in the Mafia having equal to or a greater number of votes than the Town the next day (meaning the Mafia will control the Day votes and thus the Town no longer has a way to kill Mafia members).

Q. What is a "modkill"?
A modkill is an instant kill on a player by the host of the game; this is done if the player breaks a major rule or if he is inactive and there are no reserve players to take over for him.

Finally MafiaScum is a reasonably good resource for understanding the game and roles - here's their wiki http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Main_Page
and here's their newbie guide - http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Newbie_Guide

Beyond that, any questions about gameplay or stratagy can be posted and talked about here.

Games are now approved by the mafia committee who also moderate games - rei, Mr Cook, xxMalcolm, My Bloody Arcanine, and Logic - they will be given powers in the section to assist with games and will be adding and appending rules

• Upvote 17
  • Downvote 1

IonCharge    691

Oh neat, I used to play a variant of this on an IRC I used to frequent a while back, but instead of Mafia it was werewolves. 

Sykotic    7973

rei, why are you against role claiming? im not an experienced player but it seems like it can be pretty beneficial at certain points in the game, and can at least make things more interesting. especially if someone claims detective/seer.

Mr Cook    473

This sounds awesome, I played for a while on Wrestling Forum, and the games there are really good, so I could really get into this :)

Also, its worth noting that you should probably have a stickied thread for "General Mafia Discussion" so we can talk about games and other stuff while being outside the game threads (obviously not mentioning the specifics if those games).

And another good sticky thread idea is "Mafia Rankings" - this gives it a competitive edge, where players are given 1 Point for fulfilling their win condition in a game (i.e. Town wins, and you are a town member) - and the Top 3 performances (granted by the host) are also given an additional point, and players compete in a kind of ranking system (just for fun) if this takes off and we have a devoted core-base.

Just some suggestions for you guys :)

• Upvote 2

JackNBox    616

This sounds awesome, I played for a while on Wrestling Forum, and the games there are really good, so I could really get into this :)

Also, its worth noting that you should probably have a stickied thread for "General Mafia Discussion" so we can talk about games and other stuff while being outside the game threads (obviously not mentioning the specifics if those games).

And another good sticky thread idea is "Mafia Rankings" - this gives it a competitive edge, where players are given 1 Point for fulfilling their win condition in a game (i.e. Town wins, and you are a town member) - and the Top 3 performances (granted by the host) are also given an additional point, and players compete in a kind of ranking system (just for fun) if this takes off and we have a devoted core-base.

Just some suggestions for you guys :)

These are actually really good ideas I think

• Upvote 1

JackNBox    616

Could we get that general discussion thread stickied please? :D

Also, general rules question:

Townies in the pokemon mafia just took a bit of a hit from mafia sniping.  Fair play to them for the co-ordination.   Should sniping be allowed though?  Would a general rule whereby if there's a vote in the last 10/15 minutes, the end of day is extended by 15 minutes or so be a good idea?

+Urthor    10200

lol that game is just a joke.  The way Drew is doing ties is actually the fucking worst and has just ruined it for everyone. 

Ye vote sniping should be die as well I fully support this.

+Urthor    10200

I'll look at the queue, maybe.  

It honestly hurts no1 really if the round is extended by an entire day over a tie, maybe it gets slower but it's obv better than what just happened.  

Townies in the pokemon mafia just took a bit of a hit from mafia sniping.  Fair play to them for the co-ordination.   Should sniping be allowed though?  Would a general rule whereby if there's a vote in the last 10/15 minutes, the end of day is extended by 15 minutes or so be a good idea?

You're right that sniping is an issue. I kind of regret not setting a rule against it at the beginning, but I will add that to the following day phases.

I would suggest the following: The deadline should be prolonged by 10 minutes in case at least two votes are within 1 minute from each other, during the final 10 minutes of voting.

Splatt    338

I'd suggest prolonging the voting if the tie has been set at most before X(10 ish) mins before the deadline.

JackNBox    616

You're right that sniping is an issue. I kind of regret not setting a rule against it at the beginning, but I will add that to the following day phases.

I would suggest the following: The deadline should be prolonged by 10 minutes in case at least two votes are within 1 minute from each other.

I think the day mentioned by Urthor might be a bit much. But thinking about it, if the games are relatively small, and we have people from so many time zones playing, I'm not sure if 10 or 15 minutes would be enough.  I know that at the moment there are usually a few people in the threads around the close of day, but as the game goes on and gets smaller, that obviously changes.

Would something like 3 hours be way too long?  If the time limit was something big like that, I think people in general just wouldn't even attempt to snipe.  Then we have to decide how long before the close of day the snipe rule comes into play.  And then finally, does the time extension take effect in the event of a tie also?

Personally I think that something like a 3 hour extension for votes in the last half hour before close of day, with the same 3 hour extension for a tie, might be ok.

Personally I don't think it matters if there's a tie or not. A host can add a rule about ties in the beginning of the game if they want. The real problem is the act of sniping itself, not ties.

+Logic    2033
Putting a time limit doesn't solve anything because then the ones who want to snipe can just force it again.

There are cons. 'sniping' raises suspicion of all who does it.

I think the two best solutions are to either not announce the exact time of the end of the day, or to not put a limit and wait for majority votes.

+rei+    34494
elaborate on what you mean by sniping

JackNBox    616
I'd describe sniping as last minute voting. Say the deadline for a day is 8.00, player A has 3 votes and player B has 1 vote. Players C, D and E then vote at 7.59 for player B. There's no time for anyone else to vote, or for player b to further defend themselves. It basically turns a game that's based on misdirection and logic into a mechanical game of needing to be online at a certain time to avoid sniping. It turns strategic voting into a simple timing exercise IMO.

IonCharge    691

I think sniping is fine. Changing votes I disagree with. FoS and HoS exist for a reason, and changing votes is one of the more scummy ways to snipe. Sniping only really works best in Lynch Or Lose situations, because like it has been said, it easily shows which plays are mafia members and which are not. 

+Urthor    10200

I think sniping is fine. Changing votes I disagree with. FoS and HoS exist for a reason, and changing votes is one of the more scummy ways to snipe. Sniping only really works best in Lynch Or Lose situations, because like it has been said, it easily shows which plays are mafia members and which are not. 

Lynch or lose is exactly why it shouldn't be allowed.  Not much more to say about it.  

If people are taking this seriously we should have a vote on these subjects, separately: Sniping, Ties, and Vote Changing. Exactly like they do things on smogon 

+Logic    2033

I'd also like to see discussion on 24 hour days vs 48 hour days and when 1 is more or less applicable than the other based on factors like game size, activity minimums, and some of the factors above.

Mr Cook    473

In my experience the best way to do Mafia, is have a set requirement of a majority of the votes (over 50% of the number of players) for someone to be lynched. If at any point in the Day, someone goes over that threshold, they are lynched. If no-one reaches that threshold, then no lynch. This encourages voting, and the importance of bandwagons and pressure from those bandwagons. This works better in an environment where you can freely claim your character/role though.

+rei+    34494
Sniping is going to remain allowed - disallowing it just gives unnecessary advantage to the town - if town is not in LyLo its inherently suspicious, and if it is then the mislynch was likely going to happen anyway.

Mr Cook's idea is how I run all games I play and have played in - day ends when majority is reached regardless. I am NOT a fan of no-lynch, especially if its just because of lack of majority however.

+Urthor    10200

No-lynch should only ever to happen if a majority votes for no-lynch.

Not lynching on tied votes is pretty wrong on a number of levels, it hurts the town immensely plus it allows individual players to force a no-lynch on its own.   3 votes for player a, 2 votes for player b and 1 player supporting no lynch can easily be sniped and turned into a no-lynch "undemocratically."

LyLo its inherently suspicious, and if it is then the mislynch was likely going to happen anyway.

wat.  "the mislynch was probably going to happen anyway," if Town was going to mislynch on LyLo Mafia wouldn't need to snipe in the first place​.  Sniping on LyLo does nothing but steal games unfairly.