Patrick Hoban

1st Place North American WCQ Report

+Urthor    10204

Round 6
Vs. Dragons

Game 1: I open one of the best hands possible with Rejuvenation for 6. I take the game fairly easily.
Game 2: I read he has an Electric Virus so I make Big Eye with Emptiness set so he can’t break the lock. It works for a couple turns, but he draws Dark Hole before I can kill him which breaks the lock and I get OTKed.
Game 3: I get another lock with Emptiness early on and take the game fairly easily.
6-0

Round 7
Vs. Spellbooks

Game 1: I start with double Dracossack with a Veiler in hand. He starts with Magican and I Veiler. He plays Power and kills a token and then combos out and I lose.
Game 2: He has too many backrow and winds up pulling it out.
6-1

Round 8
Vs. Dragons

Game 1: We have a very long and back and forth mirror. Other than how much time it took, I don’t remember much about it, but I get it.
Game 2: We’re about to go into time and I briefly consider scooping after he Crimson Bladers me so we don’t draw, but I draw Book for my turn and am able to live. I verbally express my thoughts in scooping and try to sell the fact that I don’t think I can live. He specials Blaster and I Maxx “C.” He thinks he can win that turn so he pushes through. I could live with the Book, but draw Scarecrow off the Maxx “C.” I think that I can play around Book stopping my Scarecrow by taking one of the first attacks, but forgot I already took 200 so the remaining attacks would have been game regardless, so I took his first attack for no reason which could have really hurt with time approaching. Fortunately the Maxx “C” gives me enough advantage to put him in a Thought Ruler Emptiness lock as we go into time.
7-1

I finish day 1 in 10th place. Johnny finished 8-0. We try to look for food, but everything on the pier had just closed so we end up having to take a taxi to McDonalds. Then we head back to the hotel.
The next morning we wake up at 6:30, shower, resleeve, and head back to the pier.

Round 9
Vs. Evilswarm

Game 1: I start with Stream because I have Sword. He plays Maxx “C” and I assume that I’m playing a mirror. I Sword and don’t play Card Destruction since I think it’s a mirror. Instead I set it hoping that he pops it with Dracossack instead of just killing me. Instead, he summons Rabbit and attacks me for 3900 and makes Ophion. Next turn I flip Card Destrctruction and set Stream hoping to not die, then double Rejuvenation for 8 total. He just attacks. Next turn I use Blaster, discarding Guard to try to pop Ophion, but he has Dress. The following turn I try to Blaster it again, but he makes another Ophion. I use Redox and Stream to make Pearl, but he has Compulsory and I have no outs.
Game 2: I open with Card Destruciton, Burner and Blaster, and debate not playing Card Destruction since I have an out to Ophion, but decide that it’s worth it. It pays off and I get Heavy Tsukuyomi and he can’t keep up even with Ophion.
Game 3: He starts with Ophion set 2. I play Heavy and summon Psi Blocker to call Ophion. I discard for Stream and he plays Maxx “C.” I don’t want him to run over Blocker with something and then me not have an out to Ophion, so I decide I have to make Dracossack and attack over Ophion. He makes Bahamaut and takes Dracossack. I can’t capitalize and he attacks for game the following turn.
7-2

Round 10

Vs. Dragons

Game 1: He starts with double baby and Rejuvenation for 4. When I do anything he plays Maxx “C” and I lose the following turn.
Game 2: I open decent and set up an Emptiness lock to take the game.
Game 3: I open very weak and he discards for Burner and after a moment I decide I have to Maxx “C” it. He goes for it and uses his whole hand to make Dracossack and set Emptiness. I Space the Emptiness and take the game easily.
8-2

Round 11:

Vs. Spellbooks, Ali Yassine

Game 1: I win the dice roll and look at the most beautiful hand I’d opened all day; Card Destruction, 2 Rejuvenation, and 3 big Dragon. I play Card Destruction and off of it, he draws Droll & Lock Bird, which turns my absolute God hand into an awful hand and he takes it easily.
Game 2: I open with Big Eye and Eradicator and hit most of his hand. He scoops on my next turn as he is concerned about time.
Game 3: I look at my opening hand and realize that if he opens the combo, I’m going to lose. He starts with Priestess and then the combo… for only 2 and is unable to special Jowgen. He then sets a Mind Drain that he flips as soon as I draw. I activate MST on Mind Drain, discard for Stream, special a Dragon, make Big Eye and take Priestess. Then I tribute Priestess for Horus and attack over Magician. I set Book and level up in the end phase. He summons Jowgen and I Book and win the following turn.
9-2
After swiss I finish in 15th place, one of the higher x-2s. Top 64 starts shortly after.

Top 64

Vs. Dragons

Game 1: I play this game very poorly. I did multiple things wrong and got punished for it big time.
Game 2: I discard to Special Redox and he Maxx “C”s. He plays Electric Virus on my Dragon and specials a Redox of his own. I know he’s going for the OTK so I Maxx “C” hoping for Scarecrow. He summons Blaster and tributes his two tokens for another Blaster and tries to attack for game, but realizes he forgot to turn my Redox to attack mode. He had game on board, and accidently messed it up. At that point I know that I should be out of the tournament and decide that I’m not going to play like I played game 1.
Game 3: I decide to not play my Maxx “C” on his Stream and then make a read on him having Electric Virus. I make Big Eye with Emptiness so he couldn’t Virus a Dracossack and break it up. I slowly gain advantage as he’s forced for keep setting monsters which I can run over.

Top 32

Vs. Dragons, Agustin Herrera

Game 1: He wins the dice roll and starts out with Stream. I figure that must mean he has Sword in hand, especially when his follow up play was Burner. He eventually plays all but 1 card in his hand and brings out Dracossack in attack mode. The 1 card winds up being Rejuvenation which nets him 6 cards. I’m not really sure how he was making such basic mistakes. Luckily my hand was strong too and I make Gaios to kill his Dracossack and double Rejuvenation for 4 each. The following turn I’m able to answer his field and then make one of my own with a set Emptiness to give me the game.
Game 2: This game gets to a point where I had the potential of winning, but am unsure and decide that I will strategically scoop with roughly 5 minutes left.
Game 3: Time is called on his first turn and he’s doing things, but I make Gaia and Thought Ruler to push for damage on the final turn and win in time.

Top 16

Vs. Dragons, Carl Manigat

http://www.konami.com/yugioh/blog/?p=14801
The only noteworthy thing I feel that is worth explaining is that by making Big Eyes when I had Emptiness I was trying to play around Electric Virus.

Top 8
Vs. Dragons, Robbie Boyajian

http://www.konami.com/yugioh/blog/?p=14860

Top 4

Vs. Dragons, Stephen Silverman

Game 1: I start with Sword, but still have a weak hand so I decide to Card Destruction. He Chains Maxx “C” and only pitches 1 big Dragon. I draw Rejuvenation for 5 into another. He tries to do something the next turn and I Emptiness. I turn it off on my turn and then kill him.
Game 2: He opens pretty weak again and I take the game quickly.
The Finals
Vs. Spellbooks, David Keener
http://www.konami.com/yugioh/blog/?p=14881
There’s not much to say here. I knew he was playing Spellbooks and didn’t want to leave tokens on the field for him to Power, so I tribute for Blaster in game 1. I believed that I was going to win game 2 until he played Kycoo to attack for game the turn before I added Heavy off Sarcophagus. Had he not been able to win that turn, I would have played Heavy and summoned a baby to attack over Jowgen and made Big Eye with Eradicator in my hand. In game 3, I had an opportunity to make Big Eye, but decided it would be safer to set Eradicator and wait a turn. He had Mst and didn’t play it in the end phase, which allowed me to blow him out with Eradicator when he tried to Compulsory my Big Eye. The energy of the crowd when I flipped the Eradicator was amazing. They knew I won as soon as I did and after the match was over several friends rushed on stage to congratulate me. It’s been a long road to get to this point and it took a lot of preparation. I’m very glad that my hard work finally paid off and that I was able to win my first major championship. I look forward to doing my best to represent North America at the World Championship in 3 weeks. Thank you to all of those that have continued to read my articles from the beginning and I look forward to being able to continue helping out the community. Thank you all for taking the time to read this and until next time, play hard or go home!

Wow Hoban congratulations on not being a faggot today

• Upvote 51
  • Downvote 5

Patrick Hoban    6406

I'm not sure why you would do something like this. It was clearly my intention to have people click on the link. ARG does a lot for me, so if I can give back in a small way, then why not? I've linked to Dgz plenty of times in my articles if it's appropriate to do so. It's actually just not a big deal.

Dale Bellido

[spoiler]

X YCS

X SJC 

X WCQ

X ARG

[/spoiler]

Adam Corn

[spoiler]

X YCS

X SJC

[/spoiler]

Lazaro Bellido

[spoiler]

X YCS

x SJC

[/spoiler]

• Upvote 17
  • Downvote 3

+Urthor    10204

I'm not sure why you would do something like this. It was clearly my intention to have people click on the link. ARG does a lot for me, so if I can give back in a small way, then why not? I've linked to Dgz plenty of times in my articles if it's appropriate to do so. It's actually just not a big deal.

The bait and switch wasn't advertising, I just got trolled halfway through a fucking tournament report and now have a legitimate reason to not shop at ARG for all the Goat Format singles I need to pick up.  If you wanted to say, post the report and then put the deck analysis/list in another linked article I can fully respect that.  But this shit? I was halfway through reading that and you pull this?  Fuck you.  

• Upvote 12
  • Downvote 36

»Pharaoh Atem    15831
Aye, but Ash may not tolerate it anyway, and I will have to ask him if he does or doesn't, just to make sure no one gets in trouble over doing something they didn't know they ought not do.

Patrick Hoban    6406

The bait and switch wasn't advertising, I just got trolled halfway through a fucking tournament report and now have a legitimate reason to not shop at ARG for all the Goat Format singles I need to pick up.  If you wanted to say, post the report and then put the deck analysis/list in another linked article I can fully respect that.  But this shit? I was halfway through reading that and you pull this?  Fuck you.  

That's quite alright, I think they'll do just fine without your business.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Brandon Wigley    3433

Duelistgroundz is turning into the biggest group of bitches i've ever come across. Poor you, having to click on a link to read the rest of the report it must be so hard on you. 

• Upvote 23
  • Downvote 11

Patrick Hoban    6406

gj pat and thanks for winning me $15 :)

Thanks! Looking forward to seeing you in a couple weeks in Vegas!

gj man :)

Thanks!

• Upvote 1

+Paraliel+    8021

Duelistgroundz is turning into the biggest group of bitches i've ever come across. Poor you, having to click on a link to read the rest of the report it must be so hard on you. 

It's less about clicking on the link and more about the no advertising rule.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

+Paraliel+    8021

Regardless, congratulations on you winning Nationals. Hope you'll rep us well at Worlds. Good luck Patrick

Brandon Wigley    3433

It's less about clicking on the link and more about the no advertising rule.

People advertise things on this site all the time, this is the only time it's become an issue

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 7

fractal    2515
And even if advertising is an issue, Urthor's post was just one of the worst fucking things to say about his post, saying he got trolled into half a report. Wtf is that even. As for the advertising, is linking to an article even advertising? I mean, sure, he could C&P it here, but is it really that big of a deal?
  • Upvote 4

+Urthor    10204

It's the exact same as linking people to a Konami article

Konami aren't going to bump up $5 a month for a DGz banner ad, ARG could.  The fact that Hoban's been on staff and knows exactly how this works is pretty much the point for everyone but me and you probably know better yourself.  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Kanade    1595

Congratulations Patrick. You have been deserving of a first place finish for a very long time and there was no better stage for you to achieve this than nationals. Now go and do North America proud.

Brandon Wigley    3433

It's the exact same as linking people to a Konami article

Konami aren't going to bump up $5 a month for a DGz banner ad, ARG could.  

So now what you're saying it's not about advertising, it's about what's getting advertised. And that isn't up to you to decide if it's right or wrong, if you don't like it don't click the link and don't read the rest of the report, but i don't see why everyone isn't more than willing to contribute to a company that is (at this point in time) the closest thing yugioh has to star city. They've actually done more for people like you then you give credit for so quit bitching

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

+rap tap    20134

you broke the bubble at nats

now break it at worlds w/ me

• Upvote 1

Punpun    428

Congratulations, couldn't have gone to a more deserving player.

Make the US proud at worlds. :)

Squiddy    9277
hahahahha haters fail

pat RIBBED .. very well deserved for the amount of time spent playing the game. hopefully can beat those japanese guys and win the new prize cart !!
  • Upvote 1