itswhatever

March 2010 "Edison" Format

171 posts in this topic

u mean blackrose dad n sorc? no crush

I thought crush was legal at the time, mb. BRD didn't do much in that deck. It had a big issue with field presence. It was literally just all floaters and useless advantage outside of caius, dad, sorc.

na it was a better blackrose deck than quickdraw guaranteed ;)

Soul is right, it was kinda all card advantage no real win con deck. Sure, it made Black Rose more easily than Quickdraw did, but Black Rose was limited to 1 at the time and Starlight Road made Black Rose a much more risky endeavor after it came out. At least Quickdraw had multiple Avarice to recycle your one copy of Black Rose.

no one's going to argue that it's actually a good deck, it's just fringe playable and I felt like it should be listed for completion's sake.

Although there might be a way to make it playable, in later formats (I believe it was pre-STOR), there was a chaos stun deck that was a combination of DCK, TK, rykos, and the salvo engine. Idk how good it would be since dck and tk aren't great in edison and lacking duality and warning reduces it's consistency, but it's still a possiblity.

Frogs and BW are easily the top 2 decks in the format. I would also argue that tempo heavy GB and light-beat lists are tier 2, or higher based on the particular decks in your metagame. 

i def wouldnt even say it was the "better BRD" deck. it had access to a 1 card BRD, same as quickdraw, except you didnt get the two tokens, meaning you couldnt make plays after the fact. this is opposite of plants since they could make a play with just quickdraw in hand at that point. in salvodad you were open afterward and needed to have fader/gorz in hand. as allen pointed out, you had avarice in quickdraw too. although some salvodad people were opting to play avarice as well. 

im not sure substitoad was legal at this jump? i think i recall peddle and jae running frognarch although im not sure if that card was around until the ycs after. 

if i had to make a list of viable decks for that small amount of time it'd probably just be BW, GB, QD, Machina and Cat. 

Substitoad came out in light of destruction and was legal. All of the frogs except ronintoadin had been released by the time of Edison

yah see the problem with the frog deck is that it couldnt really do much against drill warrior, not to mention, i did not see it built any other way other than monarchs at the jump, and everyone was playing rug + crow. 

You could play 3 Substitoad, 3 Swap Frog, 2 Treeborn. The mechanics of the Frog Monarch deck were by far the most broken.

As far as the Edison format meta on DGZ goes, I would recommend checking out these lists: http://duelistgroundz.com/index.php?showtopic=164496&p=3930782

Edit: @Soul, Quickdraw is basically a bye for a well-constructed Monarch deck. Drill Warrior itself is not at all difficult for the deck to out.

idk ive played a ton of games from that format. i think you underestimate how vulnerable the deck is post-board. drill warrior can remove all of your frogs by just seeing 1 crow. 

If the only sideboard that you have against Frogs is Rugs and Crows, you're going to get absolutely crushed. Don't take my word for it though, ask all of the Quickdraw players in our DCS/war league who started out siding Rugs and Crows, were getting absolutely crushed, and could not win a single match until they switched over to crows+masks+dyna.

we should play later if you arent busy. i should be getting home around 6 pm our time (est). havent played this in a long time so it should be fun. the top cut representation in that tournament, deckwise, was pretty cool to see. what ended up winning?

Fuckin Urthor won with Blackwings. Just message me on facebook later tonight if you want to play some games.

DD crow almost isn't worth siding in, it's basically an anti QuickDraw card that's better vs monarchs than like, dust tornado, but is so far from a hard side it isn't funny.

Playing the counter tree born game fucking sucks, frogs will always construct a way to tribute summon eventually crow just slows them down a little. Fossil dyna is one of the better cards of the format and a massive part of the reason I won that tournament is fossil dyna getting in.

This format was a lot of fun and it's legitimately the best deck building format I'm moderately sure. The thing is playing in the tournament probably sucked almost all my will to play Yugioh away in hindsight because I realised if this was the absolute peak if Yugioh ever, Yugioh isn't amazingly fun to play.

BW/QD/Frogs are just better than every other deck except for counter picking shenanigans tho. BW is straight up better than every other deck that uses pink cards except light beat, which is an honourable mention. DGz underrated QD massively as well.

The only other thing I have to add is that no matter how bad you think Cat is, it's worse than you think.

I think I played DDT for that tourney. That was fun.

Oh wait no this was the tournament I hosted that Muki talked to me tons about. Yeah this was a good format.

... I really like this format as an awesome bridge between old formats and newer ones, and would happily play it as much as possible.

However, it kinda seems dead here?

Is that effectively the case, and if so, why?

all old formats besides goats are inactive. It's that simple.

I would love to play this format again though.

i still don't understand dgz's hard on for light beat in this format though. Every time I've seen it makes it look awful.

Posted (edited)

Light Beat?

How is that deck supposed to be consistent without duality? Does it just play upstarts instead or something? What do the prominent lists look like?

And yeah I'm always down for Edison games; love the format, although, just like goat, the banlist is shitty at times.

The thing I like the most is just how consistently controlly and interactive it is, especially compared to damn near every single format afterwards.

Frogmonarch seems kinda broken tbh thanks to all the ridiculous subby loops into multiple dupe frogs, and triple avarice literally being PoGs, but just about everything else is usually fair game.

Also bugs me just how overhit all the dark.deks (except for Blackwings which are arguably underhit) are.

Would there be any way to bring this format back to life?

I'm sure there's people out there who want to play it, after all. It's even kind of alive on DB right now.

Edited by Brandis72