itswhatever

March 2010 "Edison" Format

+mmf+    23117
u mean blackrose dad n sorc? no crush

Soul    7988
I thought crush was legal at the time, mb. BRD didn't do much in that deck. It had a big issue with field presence. It was literally just all floaters and useless advantage outside of caius, dad, sorc.

+mmf+    23117
na it was a better blackrose deck than quickdraw guaranteed ;)

+ACP+    33890

Soul is right, it was kinda all card advantage no real win con deck. Sure, it made Black Rose more easily than Quickdraw did, but Black Rose was limited to 1 at the time and Starlight Road made Black Rose a much more risky endeavor after it came out. At least Quickdraw had multiple Avarice to recycle your one copy of Black Rose.

+Gemstone Mine    2583

no one's going to argue that it's actually a good deck, it's just fringe playable and I felt like it should be listed for completion's sake.

Although there might be a way to make it playable, in later formats (I believe it was pre-STOR), there was a chaos stun deck that was a combination of DCK, TK, rykos, and the salvo engine. Idk how good it would be since dck and tk aren't great in edison and lacking duality and warning reduces it's consistency, but it's still a possiblity.

itswhatever    3285

Frogs and BW are easily the top 2 decks in the format. I would also argue that tempo heavy GB and light-beat lists are tier 2, or higher based on the particular decks in your metagame. 

Soul    7988

i def wouldnt even say it was the "better BRD" deck. it had access to a 1 card BRD, same as quickdraw, except you didnt get the two tokens, meaning you couldnt make plays after the fact. this is opposite of plants since they could make a play with just quickdraw in hand at that point. in salvodad you were open afterward and needed to have fader/gorz in hand. as allen pointed out, you had avarice in quickdraw too. although some salvodad people were opting to play avarice as well. 

im not sure substitoad was legal at this jump? i think i recall peddle and jae running frognarch although im not sure if that card was around until the ycs after. 

if i had to make a list of viable decks for that small amount of time it'd probably just be BW, GB, QD, Machina and Cat. 

itswhatever    3285

Substitoad came out in light of destruction and was legal. All of the frogs except ronintoadin had been released by the time of Edison

Soul    7988

yah see the problem with the frog deck is that it couldnt really do much against drill warrior, not to mention, i did not see it built any other way other than monarchs at the jump, and everyone was playing rug + crow. 

+ACP+    33890

You could play 3 Substitoad, 3 Swap Frog, 2 Treeborn. The mechanics of the Frog Monarch deck were by far the most broken.

As far as the Edison format meta on DGZ goes, I would recommend checking out these lists: http://duelistgroundz.com/index.php?showtopic=164496&p=3930782

Edit: @Soul, Quickdraw is basically a bye for a well-constructed Monarch deck. Drill Warrior itself is not at all difficult for the deck to out.

Soul    7988

idk ive played a ton of games from that format. i think you underestimate how vulnerable the deck is post-board. drill warrior can remove all of your frogs by just seeing 1 crow. 

+ACP+    33890

If the only sideboard that you have against Frogs is Rugs and Crows, you're going to get absolutely crushed. Don't take my word for it though, ask all of the Quickdraw players in our DCS/war league who started out siding Rugs and Crows, were getting absolutely crushed, and could not win a single match until they switched over to crows+masks+dyna.

Soul    7988

we should play later if you arent busy. i should be getting home around 6 pm our time (est). havent played this in a long time so it should be fun. the top cut representation in that tournament, deckwise, was pretty cool to see. what ended up winning?

+ACP+    33890

Fuckin Urthor won with Blackwings. Just message me on facebook later tonight if you want to play some games.

+Urthor    10206
DD crow almost isn't worth siding in, it's basically an anti QuickDraw card that's better vs monarchs than like, dust tornado, but is so far from a hard side it isn't funny.

Playing the counter tree born game fucking sucks, frogs will always construct a way to tribute summon eventually crow just slows them down a little. Fossil dyna is one of the better cards of the format and a massive part of the reason I won that tournament is fossil dyna getting in.

This format was a lot of fun and it's legitimately the best deck building format I'm moderately sure. The thing is playing in the tournament probably sucked almost all my will to play Yugioh away in hindsight because I realised if this was the absolute peak if Yugioh ever, Yugioh isn't amazingly fun to play.

BW/QD/Frogs are just better than every other deck except for counter picking shenanigans tho. BW is straight up better than every other deck that uses pink cards except light beat, which is an honourable mention. DGz underrated QD massively as well.

The only other thing I have to add is that no matter how bad you think Cat is, it's worse than you think.
  • Upvote 2

Brandis72    9

... I really like this format as an awesome bridge between old formats and newer ones, and would happily play it as much as possible.

However, it kinda seems dead here?

Is that effectively the case, and if so, why?

+Gemstone Mine    2583

all old formats besides goats are inactive. It's that simple.

I would love to play this format again though.

+Gemstone Mine    2583

i still don't understand dgz's hard on for light beat in this format though. Every time I've seen it makes it look awful.

• Upvote 1

Brandis72    9

Light Beat?

How is that deck supposed to be consistent without duality? Does it just play upstarts instead or something? What do the prominent lists look like?

And yeah I'm always down for Edison games; love the format, although, just like goat, the banlist is shitty at times.

The thing I like the most is just how consistently controlly and interactive it is, especially compared to damn near every single format afterwards.

Frogmonarch seems kinda broken tbh thanks to all the ridiculous subby loops into multiple dupe frogs, and triple avarice literally being PoGs, but just about everything else is usually fair game.

Also bugs me just how overhit all the dark.deks (except for Blackwings which are arguably underhit) are.

Would there be any way to bring this format back to life?

I'm sure there's people out there who want to play it, after all. It's even kind of alive on DB right now.

Edited by Brandis72
  • Upvote 1

Just stopping by to share a few deck lists and hopefully spark a little discussion on this fantastic format.

Standard Disaster Dragon: Fun and the recommended choice again a Blackwing and Monarch heavy meta.

ZfEK6Hu.png

Light & Disaster: My favorite of the two variants and the most solid against a Quickdraw and Anti-meta heavy meta, not amazing against Monarchs but Fiendish Chain can get you there. I feel multiple burst breath is very noteworthy in this list for the following reasons. It kills almost every thing in the format even when tributing a small dragon, it lets you dodge Prison, Bottomless and Fiendish Chain. Finally and this comes up more than you would think, it lets you tribute your LADD as a cost if they get it low and try and run it over for the board nuke.

N2nvGQf.png

Flamvell: First off, shoutouts to Soul for the initial concept. I really like the Flamvell engine but everyone always seemed to add so much unneeded fat to the deck in Caius, Cydra, Cat engines etc. But I noticed Soul testing a list that was far more streamlined so I decided to give it a go and after a month of testing this is what I believe is the perfect result. I love that it has the strong 9 card first turn sets, I feel they are particularly strong in this deck because you have the Fiendish Chains to protect them from the feared Caius and Ryko and they all have synergy with your Flamvell engine. I also love how easy it is to hide Jar in this deck. Spell lineup is all pretty self explanatory. I will point out that Trunade has far more purpose in this deck than most, it does the standard blowing away of backrow but it also extends my control by blowing back dead Fiendish Chains (This happens all the time) and turning off my own Oppression. The Trap lineup is also self explanatory but again I will explain Trap Stun. I have discussed this with Soul briefly on DN, and he is adamant that I should play Dust Tornado over Stun because of the Ryko problem. I will grant him that a Trap Stun facing down a Ryko is way worse than Dust Tornado but I think Stun has more versatility and power in almost every other situation. I enjoy the blanket coverage over a 4 back row field, I don't have to guess the threat, or lets say if I go Rekindling and they Oppression, if I just have dust down and they then have Bottomless I'm fucked but not with Stun. It also turns off my own Oppression, play aggressively with Fire Dog etc.sively

BnIyZLb.png

Fiendish Quickdraw: Saving the best for last is my Quickdraw list, I really do think this is the most well thought out and tested variant out there. There is too much to say about this deck for one post so feel free to fire away with any explanations you need. The long and short of it is Fiendish fixes all the weak points the deck had, and as you can see I favor Trap Stun in this as well as it suits the aggressive nature I play the deck with.

BnGnuaV.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

+mmf+    23117

so you just took fiendish and added it to quickdraw? you're welcome for finding that card for you then ;)

+mmf+    23117

i GUESS i can share my blackwing list, if we're gonna let the fiendish chain cat out of the bag

hR11g7K.png

i think blackwings are the best deck in the format. trap stun sucks in this deck imo because if you icarus attack and they starlight, a trap stun won't help you resolve the icarus but a seven tools will. you also don't get blown out by solemn.

you know how good fiendish+firedog is? fiendish+shura is like that, except with better support, and your rekindling is built in via vayu (you dont have to draw another spell card, just a sirocco or blizzard)

blackwings side better than any other deck in the format, not even close. plants and gbs are a minigame for bw. machina gadget matchup is even at best for blackwing, but gadget has only gotten worse the more that ppl have played the format and it's definitely not worse than like 45-55. monarch is somewhere around even at absolute worst, and if anyone still thinks heroes are good, blackwings destroy that too.

• Downvote 1