itswhatever

March 2010 "Edison" Format

captainameowica    3770
7 hours ago, Gemstone Mine said:

I'm confident quickdraw varients are better than bws, flat out.

Glads are the absolute best deck no one's playing, and it's not even close. I'd have to see a lot more of it, but I think there's a decent argument that glads are the third best deck in the format.

GB definitely has the best game 1s vs frogs and quickdraw which makes the deck quite enticing to play. just sucks that it gets torched by gadgets and blackwing

captainameowica    3770
1 hour ago, Ehren said:

This is my take on an Edison format decklist. 

https://imgur.com/MZ6dX3y

black horn of heaven isn't nearly as powerful to warrant using it over dimensional prison. also playing salvo is basically playing a 1 push stall deck and idk how you'd keep up with frog/quickdraw/blackwing

Ehren    96
7 hours ago, captainameowica said:

black horn of heaven isn't nearly as powerful to warrant using it over dimensional prison. also playing salvo is basically playing a 1 push stall deck and idk how you'd keep up with frog/quickdraw/blackwing

I was originally running Royal Oppression in place of Black Horn. Is Dimensional Prison still stronger that format?

+Gemstone Mine    2596

nope. It's not very good vs frog monarchs or quickdraw. It's way better vs the lower tier stuff like glads BW and flamvell, but not maindeckable imo.

Shaneth    0

Hi everyone.

Literally just made an account for the Edison format.

I played and quit YGO so many times, but the most fun I've had with the game was at the 75th SJC, my first tournament back in awhile.

I have decks built for the following:

Quickdraw
Blackwing
Frog Monarch
Synchro Cat
Gadgets
Flamvell
Gladiator Beasts
Lightsworn

Are there any other decks worth building for this format? I have seen Disaster Dragon but not sure how effective it is. I am also interested in a HERO beat build. 
A friend of mine played an Exodia Blue Eyes deck at the 75th SJC. I would love to see a list for that. Also, is Chain Burn still an effective deck in the Edison format?
I'm looking to build all of the viable decks from this beautiful format and create a gauntlet of decks.

Thank you in advance for any help!

+Urthor    10227

Hero Beat is the only deck not on that list that's worth playing I'm pretty sure.  Hero beat's pretty okay though.

Ehren    96

Lightsworn is not worth playing in Edison format. The last f/l list neutered that particular archetype the most. Lumina, charge, and Necro Gardna are some of Lightsworn's best cards and Konami acted accordingly. 

Disaster Dragon does not have Pot of Duality or Effect Veiler. Without these cards, you are forced to stick to a LADD build with Totem Dragon. You also don't have as much versatility in synchro summoning due to not having Delta Flyer and the restriction on Totem Dragon. I think the deck can work if it incorporates techs like Royal Oppression and Burst Breath to counter the faster decks of the format. Burst Breath is a neat card, it works well with Red-Eyes Wyvern. 

A Blue-Eyes Exodia deck is about using spells to draw through your deck, with the addition of Super Rejuvenation. It is pretty consistent for an FTK deck but risky. If it does not draw through the deck in 1 turn, it will for sure lose the duel and if it goes second against any deck with disruption, it will also lose. 

Here are a bunch of Dragon Exodia decks and their duels. There are no deck profiles shown, but that's not necessary as they draw through their entire deck in the duels shown in the video. Be sure to add Royal Magical Library to the deck, since the players in the video are not running it for some reason. 

Edited by Ehren

+Gemstone Mine    2596

neither cat synchro or hero beat are worth playing imo.

LS is barely playable. You will lose 100% of games vs frog monarchs, before or after board imo, but you might be able to get through quickdraw/glads/bw with a good enough hand. More playable than hero beat, less than basically every other deck.

Shaneth    0

Does anyone have a good starting point for a Hero beat deck?

I'm thinking it might be a deck that utilizes both Skill Drain (with Barbaros) and Royal Oppression.

Or maybe anti-meta with Fossil Dyna.

captainameowica    3770

3 Thunder King Rai Oh

3 Elemental Hero Neos Alius

1 Elemental Hero Stratos

2 Honest

2 Cyber Dragon

1-2 Crusader of Endymion

3 Gemini Spark

1 Reinforcement of the Army

2-3 E - Emergency Call

2 Hero Blast

2 Royal Oppression

2 Skill Drain

That's the basic "core" of the deck. It's obviously not as powerful as its later incarnations but it's still pretty good. 

mark    3105
On 26-10-2017 at 8:48 AM, captainameowica said:

GB definitely has the best game 1s vs frogs and quickdraw which makes the deck quite enticing to play. just sucks that it gets torched by gadgets and blackwing

What are the best cards to side in / out for frog monarch vs GB to make G2/3 different from G1? 

captainameowica    3770
6 minutes ago, mark said:

What are the best cards to side in / out for frog monarch vs GB to make G2/3 different from G1? 

For the frog player or GB player?

+Gemstone Mine    2596
27 minutes ago, mark said:

image.png

+Gemstone Mine    2596

While obelisk is actually sick if you can put it on the field, there's no way in hell it's actually going to work consistently enough to justify putting that in your deck.

but there's not a whole lot you can do about it imo. The inability to run traps takes most gb options off the table.

I would board in cydras, vanity's fiends, and prayer.

mark    3105
1 hour ago, captainameowica said:

For the frog player or GB player?

For the frog player 

+Gemstone Mine    2596

-2-3 LaDD

-1-2 Dark Dust

-1 morphing jar if you play it

+2 Vanity's Fiend

+2 Cyber Dragon

+ whatever number of ryko you play since that seems to be a thing

Would be what I would do.

captainameowica    3770
4 hours ago, Gemstone Mine said:

-2-3 LaDD

-1-2 Dark Dust

-1 morphing jar if you play it

+2 Vanity's Fiend

+2 Cyber Dragon

+ whatever number of ryko you play since that seems to be a thing

Would be what I would do.

141s are also great to clear war chariot.

3 hours ago, Nula Trijes Pet said:

if somebody wants to teach me more about this format pls pm me

what's up homie :)

2 hours ago, Shaneth said:

Do you guys think Jinzo or Vanity's Fiend is worth maindecking in Frog Monarchs?

wasn't necessary truthfully, frog monarch is so dominant game 1 that those cards wouldn't be THAT helpful. much better sided imo

Soul    7944

BW actually just sucks. Your only good matchup is basically GB. Unless you are straight up OTKing your Quickdraw or Gadget opp, or drawing RO/Drain (playing both is pretty awful imo since Drain, given the prevalence of Book is just not good out of a few matchups), those matches will always be an uphill battle since they will trade all their cards for free. Your matchup against Frognarch is absolutely terrible barring few situations.

As far as Frognarch being the best deck, I'm far from convinced. Summoning double Dupe and dumping Frog is not that good. Winning post sideboard is extremely hard as well since you are limited to 1 summon per turn. I guess most people don't realize you can actually just summon 1 monster at a time against pure Frognarch and actually get there, especially if you go 1st. 

Quickdraw Frog built correctly (not saying I've built it correctly either) seems like it might be a tier 0 contender since you can play minimal tribs, anti-meta cards and have at least 2 plays a turn. 

• Upvote 2

captainameowica    3770
3 hours ago, Soul said:

BW actually just sucks. Your only good matchup is basically GB. Unless you are straight up OTKing your Quickdraw or Gadget opp, or drawing RO/Drain (playing both is pretty awful imo since Drain, given the prevalence of Book is just not good out of a few matchups), those matches will always be an uphill battle since they will trade all their cards for free. Your matchup against Frognarch is absolutely terrible barring few situations.

As far as Frognarch being the best deck, I'm far from convinced. Summoning double Dupe and dumping Frog is not that good. Winning post sideboard is extremely hard as well since you are limited to 1 summon per turn. I guess most people don't realize you can actually just summon 1 monster at a time against pure Frognarch and actually get there, especially if you go 1st. 

Quickdraw Frog built correctly (not saying I've built it correctly either) seems like it might be a tier 0 contender since you can play minimal tribs, anti-meta cards and have at least 2 plays a turn. 

Depending on builds, I would say that typically blackwing would split the QD/gadget matchup 50/50. Obviously they'll be at a disadvantage against frog monarch game 1 but which deck isn't? 

Blackwing shines through its side deck against just about any deck. The fact that they can use antimeta cards to their maximum capabilities without missing a beat is quite awesome. 

I've always said that frog monarch is the best deck game 1 but post side is always extremely difficult, especially now that everyone knows the deck exists. Everyone and their mother will side the most hate for that deck.

Quickdraw Frogs is an extremely strong deck but I wouldn't say tier 0. If anything, I'd thing that deck gets hurt more by GB than standard QD and frog monarch do.

Soul    7944
1 hour ago, captainameowica said:

Depending on builds, I would say that typically blackwing would split the QD/gadget matchup 50/50. Obviously they'll be at a disadvantage against frog monarch game 1 but which deck isn't? 

Blackwing shines through its side deck against just about any deck. The fact that they can use antimeta cards to their maximum capabilities without missing a beat is quite awesome. 

I've always said that frog monarch is the best deck game 1 but post side is always extremely difficult, especially now that everyone knows the deck exists. Everyone and their mother will side the most hate for that deck.

Quickdraw Frogs is an extremely strong deck but I wouldn't say tier 0. If anything, I'd thing that deck gets hurt more by GB than standard QD and frog monarch do.

How is it 50/50? Fortress trades with everything and Gearframe trades for free essentially. All a QD player needs to do is pop your field 1-by-1. I feel like people forget things like Hamster, Ryko and BoM are @ 3. Unless you open BWW early, there is no way you keep up early game barring Skill Drain (even then).

Again idk what you are talking about. No BW is really free, and Icarus Attack is easily played around. Again, only cards you have at your disposal are Drain and Oppression, both of which probably result in a fairly inconsistent deck overall/all current meta considered. 

Frog Monarch is not the best game 1 deck even, but if you think so go, sure. The deck can draw worse than many others and you can simply be locked out of games. Play against a competent player who will lock you out of Soul Exchange/E-Con plays early on and you are fucked. 

Quickdraw Frogs would not lose to GB more than standard QD for sure, since QD plays more 1-for-1 removal, but more than Frog Monarch is ridiculous. You can literally play around Chariot if you have QD, not to mention you play the best of both decks in E-Con, etc. 

• Upvote 1

captainameowica    3770
12 hours ago, Soul said:

How is it 50/50? Fortress trades with everything and Gearframe trades for free essentially. All a QD player needs to do is pop your field 1-by-1. I feel like people forget things like Hamster, Ryko and BoM are @ 3. Unless you open BWW early, there is no way you keep up early game barring Skill Drain (even then).

Again idk what you are talking about. No BW is really free, and Icarus Attack is easily played around. Again, only cards you have at your disposal are Drain and Oppression, both of which probably result in a fairly inconsistent deck overall/all current meta considered. 

Frog Monarch is not the best game 1 deck even, but if you think so go, sure. The deck can draw worse than many others and you can simply be locked out of games. Play against a competent player who will lock you out of Soul Exchange/E-Con plays early on and you are fucked. 

Quickdraw Frogs would not lose to GB more than standard QD for sure, since QD plays more 1-for-1 removal, but more than Frog Monarch is ridiculous. You can literally play around Chariot if you have QD, not to mention you play the best of both decks in E-Con, etc. 

I guess it depends on builds then because fighting against bw with either QD or gadget isn't like a gimme. There are few scenarios in which I feel comfortable against the deck, especially when I don't see backrow removal.

What do you mean by "no blackwing is free"? If you're referring to the fact that it's a normal summon deck then yeah you're 100% right, no denying that. But you can't assume QD will always have its power plays at any given moment. From what I remember of the DCS and the retro warring we did, QD wasn't doing wombo combos every turn. Unless the player has QD in hand, the player will end his turn/push if the normal summon gets answered. And even if they have QD, they'll be going -2 or -3 depending on their opponents field.

Frog Monarch is definitely the best game 1, what deck truly counters it pre-side outside of GB? Like yeah the deck can brick and that's totally understandable but literally every deck in the format could. Gadgets could open 4-5 monsters, blackwing could open all the little guys, QD could open all the big guys, etc... Also if I'm not mistaken, Allen never lost a game 1 when we tested as well as during the DCS.

I might be out of the loop but doesn't QD frogs normally play 23-25 monsters, 12-15 spells and 0-1 traps? That probably isn't the optimal build but I haven't seen the deck played in a while. If it is structured like that though then your only really 141 removal is ryko/e-con/book? Again I haven't seen the deck in action in over 2 years so if I'm wrong lemme know.