slickz

Dna Surgery vs Rivalry of Warlords

slickz    4307
If Dna Surgery and Rivalry of Warlords are face-up on the field, and Dna Surgery has declared Dinosaur, can I summon any monsters from my hand that aren't Dinosaur?  

Dna Surgery: Activate by declaring 1 monster Type. All face-up monsters become that Type.

Rivalry: Each player can only control 1 Type of monsterSend all other face-upmonsters they control to the Graveyard.

Actually you can normal and special summon monsters that dont have that type still. I know its wierd and I tried to find explanations as to why but yeah I really cant. 

• Rivalry of Warlords: When "Rivalry of Warlords" is active, and you change the Type of all of your monsters with "DNA Surgery"...you now only have 1 Type so you are OK and no monsters are destroyed, and you can also Summon, Flip Summon, and Special Summon additional monsters that do not have that printed Type on the card and they will be considered that Type and are not destroyed.

»Relianah    4515
That legit makes no sense :| but most rulings are like that

dexer008    805

If you read the cards it makes sense. DNA surgery changes all face-up monsters to the declared type. Rivalry prevents a player from even attempting to summon a different monster from the hand if not the declared type, and since monsters in the hand don't count as being face up, they therefore are unaffected by surgery at the time and thus go against rivalry's effect.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

»Relianah    4515

If you read the cards it makes sense. DNA surgery changes all face-up monsters to the declared type. Rivalry prevents a player from even attempting to summon a different monster from the hand if not the declared type, and since monsters in the hand don't count as being face up, they therefore are unaffected by surgery at the time and thus go against rivalry's effect.

heh well if you read the ruling it says you can summon monsters

»Pharaoh Atem    15769

And I trump unsourced silly rulings that likely went out of date years ago.

You can't summon something of the wrong type, period.

Konami's own FAQ page is law on this now, not old rulings.

• Upvote 4

You can't summon a monster with a different type than w/e was declared by DNA surgery. Like if you have Castor in your hand  and DNA Surgery called Wing Beasts or something and you have an irrelevant monster on the field, then you can't summon Castor. I don't understand why this is complicated O.o Maybe if you could provide a link or something, preferably not something unreliable or outdated..

Posted (edited)

Ok everybody...... I'll put this to rest... rivalry of the warlords states "control" it does not say " players can only summon the declared type". And since they are both continuous traps that do not conflict effects they both are on the field always... heres a breakdown... 

Rivalry is played then dna surgery is played (doesnt matter which order of play happens, unless involving chains to summon..) since both trap card effect field presence in non conflicting ways they can both resolve.

Dna surgery declares machine (for efs sake)

Now because monster are not being "prevented" from being summoned they can actually attempt to be summoned. When they hit the field, a field check is made and dna surgery will change the monsters type before rivalry notices it's not a machine.. this can happen because rivalry states the it only effects cards you "control" monsters are not "in control" in your hand, graveyard, deck etc... you can only " control a monster whilst on the field... 

Soooo to shorten it.. yes dna surgery gets around rivalry because once the monster becomes in your "control" it is the type declared by dna surgery.. it's very simple but overcomplicated because it's not read carefully.

Edited by Panda_sanin11
Mispell
  • Downvote 3

55 minutes ago, Panda_sanin11 said:

Ok everybody...... I'll put this to rest... rivalry of the warlords states "control" it does not say " players can only summon the declared type". And since they are both continuous traps that do not conflict effects they both are on the field always... heres a breakdown... 

Rivalry is played then dna surgery is played (doesnt matter which order of play happens, unless involving chains to summon..) since both trap card effect field presence in non conflicting ways they can both resolve.

Dna surgery declares machine (for efs sake)

Now because monster are not being "prevented" from being summoned they can actually attempt to be summoned. When they hit the field, a field check is made and dna surgery will change the monsters type before rivalry notices it's not a machine.. this can happen because rivalry states the it only effects cards you "control" monsters are not "in control" in your hand, graveyard, deck etc... you can only " control a monster whilst on the field... 

Soooo to shorten it.. yes dna surgery gets around rivalry because once the monster becomes in your "control" it is the type declared by dna surgery.. it's very simple but overcomplicated because it's not read carefully.

this thread is literally 5 years old 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

»JC.    4972
On 10/6/2018 at 6:27 AM, The Antagonist said:

this thread is literally 5 years old 

you're literally 5 years old

• Wow 1
  • Haha 1