yellowlink

Official Chaos Return Format - April 2006

TheNewGuy    18

I played a few matches of this format only to remember how mediocre it is compared to Goats, Reaper/Return/Cyber Dragon are just not very fun, and there's always that asshole who is maining Stein

Faint    5507

I played a few matches of this format only to remember how mediocre it is compared to Goats, Reaper/Return/Cyber Dragon are just not very fun, and there's always that asshole who is maining Stein

This was arguably the most fun and versatile format in yugioh, given the amount of competitive decktypes. Ban stein: simple!

TheNewGuy    18

I personally prefer goat format over any other and have no desire to play any other at the moment, and to me this format is not even remotely close to the most fun format, but we all have our opinions

Jazz    4706

agree with the people bashing on this format, that said I will still play it whenever.

The problem with this format is it's way too brainless. It doesn't take any kind of deep thought to use goldd, reaper, smashing ground, etc. And the mirage dragon type monsters are sickening. The decks play themselves. Every move is way too obvious.

I'm pretty sure a 10 year old won nationals in 2006. Just goes to show.

Also, # of viable deck types =/= skill required to win in said format.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Stinkynutz    121

Hey DGZ I'm really happy to see this thread and see that there are others in the community who still like this format. 

This will always be my favorite format bc it was the first time i had ever topped a jump.  Also my team mate James Naughton "Kreator" won SJC arlington. 

SJC arlington was one of the last events of the format so the tech choices and play style had evovled a lot.  To elaborate further, people changed their play style from the traditional "T-set" became set 1-2 backrow and pass turn,  The reason the pros stopped setting a monster turn 1 was because everyone was playing 3 cydra.  Cyber reaper NoC was almost an auto win back then,  The only time we set a mosnter was if we had a saku or other forms of protection.  Heres James decklist and my current build I pilot...

James Naughton

Monsters: 22

1 Blade Knight

2 Zaborg the Thunder Monarch

2 Cyber Dragon

1 Breaker the Magical Warrior

3 Chaos Sorcerer

1 Tsukuyomi

1 Magical Merchant *2 merchants not 1*

1 Morphing Jar

2 Spirit Reaper

1 D. D. Warrior Lady

1 Magician of Faith

1 Asura Priest

1 Treeborn Frog

1 Sangan

3 Dekoichi the Battlechanted Locomotive

Spells: 12

1 Enemy Controller

2 Nobleman of Crossout

1 Snatch Steal

1 Graceful Charity

1 Confiscation

1 Scapegoat

1 Metamorphosis

1 Smashing Ground

1 Heavy Storm

1 Book of Moon

1 Mystical Space Typhoon

Traps: 6

2 Sakuretsu Armor

1 Return from the Different Dimension

1 Call of the Haunted

1 Torrential Tribute

1 Mirror Force

Fusion:

1 Cyber Twin Dragon

1 Thousand-Eyes Restrict

2 Dark Balter the Terrible

1 Fiend Skull Dragon

1 Karbonala Warrior

2 Ryu Senshi

Side: 15

2 Banisher of the Radiance

2 Dust Tornado

1 Poison of the Old Man

1 Mystic Swordsman LV2

2 Waboku

1 Ceasefire

1 Des Koala

2 Goldd, Wu-Lord of Dark World

1 Royal Decree

1 Stealth Bird

1 Don Zaloog

IMO there was not a better chaos return than this build.  Whats funny is that this exact build card for card topped the philadelphia SJC the very next month. 

In conclusion, if anyone wants to play on DN let me know,  Also if you're in the DFW area let me know because all the greats in Texas come by and play old formats with me (Fili, Jason, Spicer etc)

• Upvote 1

Jazz    4706

3x Chaos Sorc?? Clog city, in my opinion.

I also don't like all the card drawing (3 deko, 2 merch) with MJ.

Otherwise not a bad build.

Faint    5507

Yeah, I know blade knight was used, but I really disliked it. I also strongly feel that Cyber Dragon should be maxed out in this format, you could get away with two - but three was always better. Gave you an successful out if your opponent ever used Dimeonsional Fissure etc and gave you field presence that only realistically a sorc or monarch could cope with.

Tom Brady    73

Did you guys prefer the recruiter version or the return build?

Sorry for the bump, but I have recently been playing this format again and am having a blast. Would love to see more people talk about it.

For your question, I have been using the recruiter build with 3 Royal Decree. Think Duncan's build. 

ralfiano    43

I wasn't in the game for this format but it looks fun         DN name: ralfiano

Tom Brady    73

2 Asura Priest
2 Chaos Sorcerer
2 Cyber Dragon
1 Cyber-Stein
1 D.D. Warrior Lady
1 Exiled Force
2 Magician of Faith
1 Mystic Swordsman LV2
2 Mystic Tomato
1 Sangan
2 Spirit Reaper
1 Tsukuyomi
1 Zaborg the Thunder Monarch 

1 Book of Moon
1 Confiscation
2 Creature Swap
2 Enemy Controller
1 Graceful Charity
1 Heavy Storm
1 Last Will
1 Mystical Space Typhoon
2 Nobleman of Crossout
1 Reinforcement of the Army
1 Scapegoat
1 Smashing Ground
1 Snatch Steal

1 Mirror Force
2 Royal Decree
1 Torrential Tribute

I have been playing this format a ton lately. been playing Longo's worlds deck, and am 9-0 in matches with it. anyone like his deck better than the standard chaos return and chaos recruiter?

Edited by Tom Brady

OD Superman    1125
On 4/6/2017 at 7:02 PM, Tom Brady said:

2 Asura Priest
2 Chaos Sorcerer
2 Cyber Dragon
1 Cyber-Stein
1 D.D. Warrior Lady
1 Exiled Force
2 Magician of Faith
1 Mystic Swordsman LV2
2 Mystic Tomato
1 Sangan
2 Spirit Reaper
1 Tsukuyomi
1 Zaborg the Thunder Monarch 

1 Book of Moon
1 Confiscation
2 Creature Swap
2 Enemy Controller
1 Graceful Charity
1 Heavy Storm
1 Last Will
1 Mystical Space Typhoon
2 Nobleman of Crossout
1 Reinforcement of the Army
1 Scapegoat
1 Smashing Ground
1 Snatch Steal

1 Mirror Force
2 Royal Decree
1 Torrential Tribute

I have been playing this format a ton lately. been playing Longo's worlds deck, and am 9-0 in matches with it. anyone like his deck better than the standard chaos return and chaos recruiter?

I topped SJC Indy with his list and remember hating it. Don't know how I'd go about revisiting the format now though. So much of it at the time was "do you think this event will have more Decree or more Return?"

• Upvote 2

Tom Brady    73
6 hours ago, OD Superman said:

I topped SJC Indy with his list and remember hating it. Don't know how I'd go about revisiting the format now though. So much of it at the time was "do you think this event will have more Decree or more Return?"

Interesting. Do you remember why you hated it at the time?

+Gemstone Mine    2582
6 hours ago, OD Superman said:

So much of it at the time was "do you think this event will have more Decree or more Return?"

Jazz    4706

Dimension Fusion was still at 3 in this format as was Trap Dustshoot. Surprised that combination didn't see more play, and given the single copy of Scapegoat, I think it would easily be the deck to beat. I suppose the biggest problem is that if everyone is playing Chaos, then bringing back every body else's monsters is not as good. Trap Dustshoot should prevent a lot of them from getting removed from play though, if you can send back a Sorcerer or the single Light/Dark in your opponent's hand that makes the Sorcerer live.

I think hindsight theory could potentially break this format wide open. People would still run Chaos, but my gut tells me that neither Chaos Return nor Chaos Decree should really be the "deck to beat" of the format.

+ACP+    33886

With hindsight, the deck to beat is cyber stein variants and it's not even close. Just look what happened next format.

• Upvote 1

Azn_Boy    385

You just play a chaos deck with stein that smokescreens into a full stein deck, it's not that hard. Cyber Dragons in the main and 3 Trunades in the transformational sideboard is going to shit on just about any rogue deck. Their only outs are usually Kuriboh, Scapegoat, or Threatening Roar if you didn't EoT Decree.

Jazz    4706
1 hour ago, ACP said:

With hindsight, the deck to beat is cyber stein variants and it's not even close. Just look what happened next format.

Perhaps. The next format though, Chaos Sorcerer was banned, so the Stein decks were primarily competing with Monarch decks for superiority. I think they deserved more play than they received, though. Perhaps because people did not have enough time to develop the deck, with Last Will only changing to the current ruling in May 2006.

I just did a quick search--there was a single Cyber-Stein in a single side deck in t8 of US Nationals in June 2006. By the final SJC of the format in August, there were 8 copies of Cyber-Stein in the top 8. So clearly, it was untapped at the time of US Nationals.

On 8/18/2013 at 8:22 AM, Suicidal said:

anyone not running reaper in 3's in this format is retarded

reaper defined this format more then any other card

Correct me if I'm wrong but Dark Worlds were a thing.  And getting hit by Sillva is quite brutal.

I remember playing this format.  At the time I didn't like it.  Cyber Dragon x3 made the player who was behind on the summon take a lot of damage.  The Monarch engine was often inconsistent but players had to run it because it was the most powerful.  Confiscation was annoying.  The mix of inconsistency plus a fast format made the game a bit less skillful in my opinion.  On the upside, non-floater monsters became more valuable due TER not being able to suck them up.  I probably would have preferred if each of the Monarchs were limited so that players could try out spicy tech Tributes.

If there was a modern adaptation of this format, I would propose the following adjustments to the F/L list:

Forbidden:
Confiscation
Cyber-Stein 
Metamorphosis

Limited:
Brain Control
Dark Hole
Granmarg the Rock Monarch
Mobius the Frost Monarch
Sinister Serpent
Spirit Reaper
Time Seal
Thestalos the Firestorm Monarch
Trap Dustshoot
Zaborg the Thunder Monarch

Semi-Limited:
Book of Moon
Call of the Haunted
D.D. Assailant
Drop Off
Exiled Force
Injection Fairy Lily
Lightning Vortex
Mask of Darkness
Scapegoat

Unlimited:
Thousand-Eyes Restrict

I tried to eliminate dominating strategies to foster variety.  The absence of power cards in the format meant it was a straight-forward aggro beatdown.  I added a 2nd Call of the Haunted to make up for the loss of Premature Burial, to make non-Monarch tribute monsters more viable and to have a method of Special Summoning that's not Cyber Dragon.  The second major revision of Dark Hole to 1 will give players another power card to conserve.  It also is a counter to over-extending with Cyber Dragon + another monster and will give players an opportunity to recover from an uneven board.

Brandis72    7
5 hours ago, banefulscolumn said:
If there was a modern adaptation of this format, I would propose the following adjustments to the F/L list:

Forbidden:
Confiscation
Cyber-Stein 
Metamorphosis

Limited:
Brain Control
Dark Hole
Granmarg the Rock Monarch
Mobius the Frost Monarch
Sinister Serpent
Spirit Reaper
Time Seal
Thestalos the Firestorm Monarch
Trap Dustshoot
Zaborg the Thunder Monarch

Semi-Limited:
Book of Moon
Call of the Haunted
D.D. Assailant
Drop Off
Exiled Force
Injection Fairy Lily
Lightning Vortex
Mask of Darkness
Scapegoat

Unlimited:
Thousand-Eyes Restrict

I tried to eliminate dominating strategies to foster variety.  The absence of power cards in the format meant it was a straight-forward aggro beatdown.  I added a 2nd Call of the Haunted to make up for the loss of Premature Burial, to make non-Monarch tribute monsters more viable and to have a method of Special Summoning that's not Cyber Dragon.  The second major revision of Dark Hole to 1 will give players another power card to conserve.  It also is a counter to over-extending with Cyber Dragon + another monster and will give players an opportunity to recover from an uneven board.

If you're going to fix the format, then you should probably fix it the whole way: don't semi/limit cards that could be at 3 and not cause any harm whatsoever (Mask/Goat/Drop Off/etc)... don't Konami this.

I really don't get your love of DHole: the card is quite simply broken in every pre-modern format that doesn't have at least 4 power floaters (Critter) or is just in a format so slow and so weak that it isn't usable to anywhere near it's full potential (YKL). It's a power card that makes you lose when you play around it because it literally hard-prevents you from extending and weakens all your aggro plays, and a power card that wins games by itself when you don't play around... all it is at this point is a sack enabler, because it almost becomes partially correct to not play around it.

Why would you LIMIT dustshoot? Banning it is understandable, and having it at 3 is also undestandable, but having it at 1 turns it into an obnoxious sack card in much the same way that confiscation was. Then again, dustshoot wasn't even THAT strong this format because it isn't all that fast, so it isn't hitworthy.

Umm... you do realize that you left CyDra at 3... right??? The card's power level is through the roof compared to every other monster, and, as such, is basically a sack enabler in much the same way that TGU was in original Newgioh. CyDra is decent at 1 as a powerful light beater in a staple-heavy format, but if that isn't your vision of the format, just go ahead and ban it.

In addition... are we both talking about Spicer Monarchs here? Because Exiled was already at 2 at this time, and Vortex was already unlimited.

Oh.... yeah... I forgot... why even bother fixing this format when it's meh even in principle: you're better off playing a variant of Goat Format then you are a variant of a lousy, worse version of it (there are surprisingly few differences to the playable cardpool, except for treeborn frog).

It's worth the trouble to experiment with pre-chaos formats because those actually have radically different cardpools and are quite unique in their own way, but it's pointless to experiment with post-goat pre-HERO formats because fixing them basically means turning them into Goat clones.

Edited by Brandis72