.ben.

Blackwing Maybe

».ben.    7438

I don't even think this is a good deck, but there's nostalgia associated with it. I haven't tested this at all, it's pure theory-oh. Dig to see Whirlwind and Emptiness as soon as possible. Proceed from there.

9eJijVG.png

3 Blackwing - Shura the Blue Flame

3 Blackwing - Bora the Spear

3 Blackwing - Kalut The Moon Shadow

2 Blackwing - Sirocco The Dawn

2 Blackwing - Blizzard the Far North

1 Blackwing - Zephyros The Elite
1 Blackwing - Gale The Whirlwind

1 Blackwing - Kochi The Daybreak

1 Dark Armed Dragon

3 Pot of Duality

3 Black Whirlwind

2 Cards for Black Feathers

1 Allure of Darkness

1 Book of Moon

1 Dark Hole

3 Fiendish Chain

2 Vanity's Emptiness

2 Icarus Attack

2 Mirror Force

1 Bottomless Trap Hole

1 Compulsory Evacuation Device

1 Solemn Warning 

1 Crimson Blader
1 Scrap Dragon

1 Colossal Fighter

1 Blackwing Armor Master
1 Black Rose Dragon
1 HTS Psyhemuth
1 Blackwing Armed Wing

1 Armades, Keeper of Boundaries
1 Ally of Justice Catastor

1 Number 66: Master Key Beetle

1 Abyss Dweller 

1 Diagusto Emeral 

1 Gagaga Cowboy

1 Maestroke the Symphony Djinn

1 Ice Beast Zerofyne or Lavaval Chain 

---

- The monsters are pretty reasonable. Besides Shura, Bora, and Kalut, they are all flawed in one way or another, so use Whirlwind to toolbox them as required.  (Gale being flawed in that you can only play 1 of him). 

- Since this is untested, I don't have anything to back up this statement: It seems like trip Icarus Attack would lead to some shitty situations in a deck that is already on the weak side. 

- Zerofyne or Lavaval Chain both have merit. Chain is more combolicious where Zerofyne could occasionally help to get you out of situations (MKB+Safe Zone, Dracossack) where this deck struggles. 

- I don't really like Vayu. It's a shitty draw. There's no Oppression to combo with. And a 2300 or 2500 Vanilla beater really isn't very intimidating. 

- BWAM seems kind of bad too. 

Jazz`    222
2 Icarus Attack and 0 MST mained..?

».ben.    7438

Yeh? Besides hitting the card you know is Spellbook of Fate and opposing BWWs, I'm not sure what else it's doing unless you're just Blind MST'ing (which is less useful b/c you aren't OTKing with this deck anyway) /serious question

And I've always found 3 Icarus really heavy handed. 

Jazz`    222

Yeh? Besides hitting the card you know is Spellbook of Fate and opposing BWWs, I'm not sure what else it's doing unless you're just Blind MST'ing (which is less useful b/c you aren't OTKing with this deck anyway) /serious question

if all you play is prophecy then yeah i guess you dont but this is such a diverse meta and there are so many decks with backrows that i'm sure i dont have to explain to you.

ibot    225

Don't like delta crow?

I've been testing Delta Crow for the past few days and, even against the decks it should be effective against, it's pretty awful. Only hitting face-up cards ruins the flexibility, especially nowadays where face-up spells and traps are everywhere. 

The only deck it might be good against is Infernity and they're not even a bad matchup.

• Upvote 2

Jazz`    222

Your first mistake is not maxing Sirocco. That card wins the mirror 90% of the time.

The mirror is the least of a BW players worries.

• Upvote 8

»canasian    4105

if all you play is prophecy then yeah i guess you dont but this is such a diverse meta and there are so many decks with backrows that i'm sure i dont have to explain to you.
The meta is relatively the same as last format, Mermails and Fire Fists are a little bit more even with Dragons and Prophecy now but any "diversity" you've observed is a product of a)people being overly optimistic at the start of the format and b)testing on DN.

@ben: my main deck is literally exactly the same -1 compuls +1 Icarus, compuls is just so subpar against Prophecy and Icarus is actually decent against them since they often set exactly 2: Fate and something purple. End Phase hit those two then get in an attack over Magician is often the best you can do against them.

If people stick to triple Temperance over Justice I might toy with DDV since that's half their monster lineup and it can be kinda crippling to flip DDV when they resolve Secrets to grab Magician.

guylaroche5    558

i'm running a similar build with x2 cardcars in over 1 sirroco and a chain. i found when i played bwings back in the day a major issue with them was that if you don't run into whirlwind you're just 1 for 1ing with everything until the gamestate is just you and your opp topdecking. cardcars help keep the train going

JustBeKrillin    375

I'd remove cards for black feathers, really just dont like this card at all in here. I'd also cut a fiendish chain for 3 veiler for the replacements. Dracossack is an issue and i just think veiler is a must for any deck honestly. 

Edit: MST is also good vs mermails when you have it to wait for sphere plays. 

Wild Caniac    421

Your first mistake is not maxing Sirocco. That card wins the mirror 90% of the time.

The mirror is the least of a BW players worries.

I understand Justin, but I see no reason not to max him right now. The mirror will be heavily played early on. The card also has potential to get over bigger monsters when backed with a bora, gale, or kalut, or hell even gladius if you play him. Nothing in Fire Fist gets over him except Tiger King or Cardinal backed by Fire Formations. I can't think of many matchups where I wouldn't want him. He isn't terrible in the Constellar or Mermail matchup either. He also gives easier access to DDV in the side, which is still very good against stuff like Mermail, Gadgets, and T.G.

• Downvote 2

»canasian    4105

To be perfectly frank if you're building any deck other than Prophecy, Mermail, and Dragon (and maybe Fire Fist) with a mirror match in mind, you're building your deck for an imaginary meta.

Aside from that, in three years of playing Blackwings I don't think I've ever once said to myself "gee I'd feel so warm and fuzzy inside if I drew two copies of Sirocco in my opening hand."

Especially without Vayu, for the most part I don't even care whether or not I draw Sirocco; it's pretty much all about Bora, Shura, and Kalut.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Wild Caniac    421

I've played Blackwings for about 5, and I can tell you that Sirocco is a great card. Back in 2009, 2010, maxing 3 made even more sense because you had Brionac and other ways to get the extra Sirocco in grave if you didn't want two. And, the mirror match was more prevalent than ever. Now, I can see a point to not maxing them if you run 0 Vayu, which he does. I disagree with that as well. I view Vayu as a card that again is a free target for Icarus, easy GY control, and the best Shura target. Nowadays Kochi can be due to access to Key Beetle, but Armades and a Vayu in grave for a later Sirocco is solid too when you don't have Emptiness.

ibot    225

@canasian

Sorry for the accidental neg.

I've played Blackwings for about 5, and I can tell you that Sirocco is a great card. Back in 2009, 2010, maxing 3 made even more sense because you had Brionac and other ways to get the extra Sirocco in grave if you didn't want two. And, the mirror match was more prevalent than ever. Now, I can see a point to not maxing them if you run 0 Vayu, which he does. I disagree with that as well. I view Vayu as a card that again is a free target for Icarus, easy GY control, and the best Shura target. Nowadays Kochi can be due to access to Key Beetle, but Armades and a Vayu in grave for a later Sirocco is solid too when you don't have Emptiness.

I'm loving Sirocco atm just because there aren't enough big BWs to trigger Black Whirlwind consistently.

Wild Caniac    421

Shura is definitely big enough, but yes, of course that's another good reason to max sirocco.

Jazz`    222
Yeah sirocco is alright but idk about maxing it. We all have our preferences though. Mind controls amazing in this deck if youre still messing with it, ben.