• Announcements

• rei

Battle of the Anime Characters   02/10/17

THE BATTLE OF THE ANIME CHARACTERS HAS BEGUN   Find it here http://duelistgroundz.com/index.php?/forum/615-battle-of-the-anime-x/
Jazz

Troop Dup Format - March 2007

60 posts in this topic

~Official March 2007 Ban List~

I. Forbidden Cards
Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of The Beginning
Breaker The Magical Warrior
Butterfly Dagger - Elma
Change of Heart
Chaos Emperor Dragon - Envoy of The End
Chaos Sorcerer
Cyber Jar
Cyber-Stein
Dark Hole
Delinquent Duo
Exchange of The Spirit
Fiber Jar
Graceful Charity
Harpie's Feather Duster
Imperial Order
Last Turn
Last Will
Magical Scientist
Magician of Faith
Makyura The Destructor
Mirage of Nightmare
Monster Reborn
Painful Choice
Pot of Greed
Raigeki
Sinister Serpent
The Forceful Sentry
Thousand-eyes Restrict
Time Seal
Tribe-infecting Virus
Tsukuyomi
Victory Dragon
Witch of The Black Forest
Yata-Garasu

New! - Breaker The Magical Warrior, Graceful Charity, Last Will, Magician of Faith, Victory Dragon

II. Limited Cards
Book of Moon
Call of The Haunted
Card Destruction
Ceasefire
Chain Strike
Confiscation
Crush Card Virus
D. D. Warrior Lady
Dark Magician Of Chaos
Dimension Fusion
Elemental Hero Stratos
Exodia The Forbidden One
Future Fusion
Giant Trunade
Gravity Bind
Heavy Storm
Jinzo
Left Arm of The Forbidden One
Left Leg of The Forbidden One
Level Limit - Area B
Limiter Removal
Mage Power
Magic Cylinder
Mind Crush
Mirror Force
Morphing Jar
Mystical Space Typhoon
Neo-Spacian Grand Mole
Night Assailant
Nobleman Of Crossout
Overload Fusion
Pot of Avarice
Premature Burial
Protector of The Sanctuary
Right Arm of The Forbidden One
Right Leg of The Forbidden One
Ring of Destruction
Sangan
Scapegoat
Snatch Steal
Spirit Reaper
Swords of Revealing Light
Torrential Tribute
Treeborn Frog
Twin-Headed Behemoth
Ultimate Offering
United We Stand

New! - Chain Strike, Crush Card Virus, Dimension Fuison, Elemental Hero Stratos, Giant Trunade, Mind Crush, Neo-Spacian Grand Mole, Overload Fusion, Snatch Steal

III. Semi-limited Cards
Apprentice Magician
Creature Swap
D. D. Assailant
Deck Devastation Virus
Good Goblin Housekeeping
Manticore of Darkness
Mask of Darkness
Metamorphosis
Reckless Greed
Reinforcement of The Army
Wall of Revealing Light

New! - D. D. Assailant, Mask of Darkness, Metamorphosis

New! - The Following Cards Are No Longer Limited: Exiled Force, Injection Fairy Lily, Sacred Phoenix of Nephthys, Upstart Goblin

This format notably saw the introduction of Card Trooper, Destiny Heroes (Stratos, Malicious, DDraw, Diamond Dude, Disc Commander, Dasher, Fear Monger), and Raiza. 2-3 Trap Dustshoot finally broke through as a near staple. Confiscation was legal. Breaker was not. Chaos remained banned. Return from the DD was weak. LADD and zombies were not out yet until the Fall list. Synchro's/XYZ's did not exist.

Tier 1 decks:
T-Hero
Perfect Circle
Monarchs
Machines
Womack

Gadgets
Beasts (Baboon was included in last SJC of format)
Diamond Dude Turbo
Big City

Tier 2 decks:
Demise OTK
Burn
Gravekeepers

Dark World
Six Samurai

Nationals Top 16 Lists:
http://kperovic.com/metagame/yugiohdd98.html?tabid=33&ArticleId=8632

Final SJC of Format Top 16 Lists:
http://kperovic.com/metagame/yugioh3f64.html?tabid=33&ArticleId=8867

My current Deck Pic (Updated as of February 2016):

8933765.png?1052

Typical Game Summary:
8-12 turns, sometimes shorter, sometimes longer. As resources: card advantage, life points, and field presence are about equally crucial, but you certainly need to keep your life points high enough for anything else to matter.Carefully planned monster-based OTKs are a common win condition. 5000 lp puts you in vulnerable territory, 3000 lp is easy to do in one turn. Special summons happen from D-hero Malicious, D-hero Dasher, Cyber Dragon, Premature, Call of the Haunted, and infamously Card Trooper + Machine Duplication. Your opponent usually has a Brain Control or a Snatch Steal, too. This is how big damage plays usually go down.

Control of the game is based on setting yourself up for the big play, while also defending yourself against it. Typically, "game" requires a lot of cards to pull off (this is where card advantage matters) and getting through your opponent's unknown backrows and facedown monsters. Snipe hunter, Heavy Storm, MST, Dust Tornado, Raiza, Zaborg, Nobleman, and Ring of Destruction work wonders here.

You can most effectively protect yourself with Torrential Tribue, Mirror Force, Sakuretsu Armor, Scapegoat, and floater monsters to absorb potential damage. Trap dustshoot and Raiza can buy you time as well, and they were absolutely everywhere.

The most common opening moves are (1) Reinforcement -> Stratos -> Malicious/Disco -> DDraw; (2) one set monster like spy/dekoichi/tomato with a set s/t; (3) summon trooper + mill 3 with a set s/t; or (4) a sole set s/t. Saving your power cards like Premature, Call of the Haunted, Torrential, Mirror Force, and Ring of Destruction is great, but not always at the expense of losing life points.

The most common second move was flipping a trap dustshoot.

To me, this format represents a nice alternative to goat format. Games are much faster paced, yet the moves you make against your opponent are still critical. Interaction with your opponent and how you react to their moves is still relevant, unlike in today's current bastardization of yugioh. Special summons are important, but they don't happen every turn. By mid-format Return from the DD wasn't a popular win condition like in other past formats (with only Bazoo and no more Chaos Sorc, it was largely tossed aside). Card advantage still means a great deal, though not nearly as much as in goat format. Momentum swings are common, as are big plays. To me, looking back on this format, main decking that one copy of scapegoat is a must, as is keeping a life point buffer, because random shit like troop+dup does happen. This format keeps you on your toes, for sure.

Popular Main Deck choices:
Ehero Stratos
Dhero Disc Commander
Dhero Malicious
Dhero Fear Monger
Dhero Dasher
Snipe Hunter
Mystic Tomato
Spirit Reaper
Cyber Dragon
GK Spy
Hydrogeddon
Cyber Phoenix
Dekoichi
Treeborn Frog
Sangan
Jinzo
DMoC
Mobius
Raiza
Zaborg
Thestalos
Granmarg
Morphing Jar
Goldd Wu Lord
Drillroid

Smashing Ground
Metamorphosis (to be used on Malicious/DMoC, not scapegoat)
Scapegoat
Destiny Draw
Pot of Avarice
Brain Control
Soul Exchange
Snatch Steal
Machine Duplication
Reinforcement of the Army
Lightning Vortex
Limiter Removal
Premature Burial
Nobleman of Crossout
Confiscation
Heavy Storm
MST
Overload Fusion
Dimension Fusion
Creature Swap

Sakuretsu Armor
Torrential Tribute
Mirror Force
Ring of Destruction
Trap Dustshoot
Call of the Haunted
Widespread Ruin
Dust Tornado
Return from the DD

Popular Side Deck choices:
Banisher of the Radiance
D.D. Crow
Kinetic Soldier
Pulling the Rug
Des Wombat
Royal Decree
Dust Tornado
Mobius
Mind Crush
Threatening Road

Popular Fusions:
Chimeratech
Cyber End Dragon
Cyber Twin Dragon
Ryu Senshi
Dark Balter
Reaper on the Nightmare
Dark Blade the Dragon Knight
Ojama King
Gatling Dragon
Fiend Skull Dragon
Steam Gyroid

Cards that were underplayed (open for suggestions):
D.D. Warrior Lady
D.D. Assailant
Magical Merchant
Transmigration Prophecy
Phoenix Wing Wind Blast
Back 2 Square 1
Enemy Controller
Book of Moon
Scapegoat
GK Guard
Dark Blade the Dragon Knight

A final notable quirk about this format was the release of Crush Card Virus as the SJC prize card. CCV was incredibly good in the mainstream decks played, especially T-hero & PC. However, it was very rare. I generally favor banning it, but I'd leave that to you guys. I personally don't like playing against it because there is little that can be done to play around it.

You use the spoiler tag.

IIRC, what drove this format (especially near the end) was trip Dustshoot + Confi (Matt Peddle's invention if memory serves).

'Warriors'

Yea, that used to be a deck.

Maybe not, my memory on decks was a bit fuzzy. Didn't some people still play DDA, Don, Exiled, MS Lv2, aggro type stuff that was not based around D-heros?

I suppose I could alternatively say "Jank Aggro" as a misc. category for people who used lots of obligatory 1-1's and Hydrogeddons.

I was mostly just citing the games progression to the point where 'Warriors' doesn't even sound like something real anymore like, "Wait, was that ever a deck before? Yes, yes it was".

Magical Explosion was a very real deck toward the end of this format, with access to Troop Dup, triple Reasoning, triple Monster Gate, and the D-Hero engine.

Ben, I totally agree, although I think Confi was less good because 1000 lp was pretty steep. Not sure who gets credit.

KS, yeah, it's hard to believe that qualified as an archetype. It sounds ridiculous to me too seeing that in print.

Darkblaze, Yeah, definitely. Although was it a win condition for the DDT engine, or was it a deck on its own? I can't remember. I feel like it might warrant a player agreed upon ban.

EDIT: a quick search of the final 3 SJC's (all after nats) reveals exactly 0/48 top deck lists running magical explosion. There was one in the top 16 of USA nats, however.

3rd favorite format. I love my build and it's heartbreaking that someone took a shitty version of it to nats and did well with it.CxudMpI.png

Cool deck, are you referring to Womack?

Indeed.

Darkblaze, Yeah, definitely. Although was it a win condition for the DDT engine, or was it a deck on its own? I can't remember. I feel like it might warrant a player agreed upon ban.

EDIT: a quick search of the final 3 SJC's (all after nats) reveals exactly 0/48 top deck lists running magical explosion. There was one in the top 16 of USA nats, however.

It was a deck on its own. It did have a very hard time against hand control, which is likely why it fell out of contention.

Iirc, it was something like this:

[spoiler]

3x Card Trooper

3x Diamond Dude

1x Morphing Jar

1x Dark Magician of Chaos

3x Destiny Draw

3x Reasoning

3x Monster Gate

3x A Feather of the Phoenix

3x Dark World Dealings

3x Magical Stone Excavation

2x Spell Reproduction

3x Machine Duplication

1x Limiter Removal

1x Heavy Storm

1x Giant Trunade

1x Card Destruction

1x Premature Burial

1x Ring of Destruction

3x Magical Explosion

[/spoiler]

Yeah, that was basically co-op'd onto DDT though. Even DDT wasn't that good upon second thought, I'm downgrading it to Tier 2. It only topped that one spot in nationals for the final 3 months of the format.

The deck was an OTK, yes, but it has some serious inconsistencies that made it almost completely non-viable. I think the version without Magical Explosion was potentially more consistent and less sacky. Either way, DDT and Magical Explosion were not as prominent as you might think.

DDT had a resurgence in the Fall 07 format, IIRC, but I quit IRL shortly after that list was introduced, so I'm not sure.

Yeah, that was basically co-op'd onto DDT though. Even DDT wasn't that good upon second thought, I'm downgrading it to Tier 2. It only topped that one spot in nationals for the final 3 months of the format.

The deck was an OTK, yes, but it has some serious inconsistencies that made it almost completely non-viable. I think the version without Magical Explosion was potentially more consistent and less sacky. Either way, DDT and Magical Explosion were not as prominent as you might think.

DDT had a resurgence in the Fall 07 format, IIRC, but I quit IRL shortly after that list was introduced, so I'm not sure.

I think the main issue with DDT is that it was also vulnerable to hand control. Dustshoot sending back your monster not only reduced your plays to rota/e-call/reasoning, it also gave the opponent perfect info on reasoning calls and future plays. Mind Crush/Dustshoot was also devastating, and, iirc, became popular when DDT and Demise were both options.

A few quick things

- Dark World and "warriors" weren't decks.

- Bazoo Return was a very relevant deck, although less influencial as the format went on.

- There needs to be a distinction between Perfect Circle and T-Hero. They were no where near the same deck.

- Womack.dek needs a profile/explanation. It only had 1 top, but I would expect it to be more popular now. It was also very important historically, being the first Sligh-style deck in yugioh as far as I'm aware.

- Gadgets were tier 1. They won/got the most tops in virtually every nationals besides US Nationals.

Also your deck is actually terrible lol. It's like a really bad version of T-Heroes with 3 Raiza, 2 Cyber Dragon, a bunch of 1-ofs that make no sense, and 0 Confiscation 2 Trap Dustshoot lol.

It should definitely have 3x dustshoot, but i've had space issues and have been tweaking a lot. I don't like confiscation, I think it's over rated. I'm down to play whenever though. What's your dn name?

I personally don't see much distinction between Thero and PC, b/c the engines are the same, although the tech cards might be different. I don't think there's a clear enough definition, unless you care to offer one.

Finally, you're right, womack.dek deserves an explanation, I'll try to write those at a later date. I actually didn't write any explanations of archetypes, I only gave a glimpse of the format as a whole. I figured this format was overdue for someone to make a page about it, so I put one together in something like 20 minutes.

T-Hero and PC are radically different. It's not "tech" choices, it's pacing and structure. The may 2007 event gives us a perfect example with Jessy Samek and T's lists.

Theerasak Poonsombat

Monsters

3 Card Trooper

3 Destiny Hero — Malicious

3 Cyber Dragon

1 Sangan

1 Destiny Hero — Disk Commander

1 Destiny Hero — Fear Monger

1 Jinzo

2 Destiny Hero — Dasher

1 Dark Magician of Chaos

2 Snipe Hunter

1 Elemental Hero Stratos

Spells

2 Brain Control

3 Destiny Draw

1 Giant Trunade

2 Metamorphosis

1 Mystical Space Typhoon

1 Scapegoat

1 Limiter Removal

1 Heavy Storm

1 Reinforcement of the Army

1 Premature Burial

1 Pot of Avarice

1 Snatch Steal

Traps

1 Ring of Destruction

1 Torrential Tribute

1 Call of the Haunted

1 Crush Card Virus

1 Mirror Force

Side Deck

2 Royal Decree

2 Cursed Seal of the Forbidden Spell

2 Threatening Roar

1 Confiscation

1 Nobleman of Crossout

1 Smashing Ground

2 D.D. Designator

2 Twister

1 Morphing Jar

1 Dekoichi the Battlechanted Locomotive

Fusion Deck

1 Fusionist

1 Flame Ghost

1 Dragoness the Wicked Knight

2 Darkfire Dragon

3 Dark Balter the Terrible

2 Reaper on the Nightmare

2 Cyber Saurus

1 Fiend Skull Dragon

2 Dark Blade the Dragon Knight

2 Dark Flare Knight

2 Steam Gyroid

3 Ryu Senshi

1 Twin-Headed Thunder Dragon

1 King Dragun

1 The Last Warrior from Another Planet

1 Cyber Ogre 2

1 Skull Knight

2 Gatling Dragon

1 Super Vehicroid Jumbo Drill

2 Cyber Twin Dragon

1 Cyber End Dragon

Jessy Samek

Monsters

3 Cyber Dragon

3 Thestalos the Firestorm Monarch

1 Sangan

1 Treeborn Frog

3 Zaborg the Thunder Monarch

2 Destiny Hero — Fear Monger

2 Card Trooper

1 Elemental Hero Stratos

3 Destiny Hero — Malicious

1 Destiny Hero — Disk Commander

Spells

3 Destiny Draw

2 Brain Control

2 Smashing Ground

1 Snatch Steal

1 Heavy Storm

1 Mystical Space Typhoon

1 Reinforcement of the Army

1 Premature Burial

1 Pot of Avarice

Traps

1 Ring of Destruction

1 Torrential Tribute

1 Mirror Force

3 Sakuretsu Armor

1 Call of the Haunted

Side Deck

1 Confiscation

1 Banisher of the Radiance

1 Mobius the Frost Monarch

1 Threatening Roar

1 Winged Kuriboh

3 Pulling the Rug

1 Mind Crush

2 Trap Dustshoot

2 Cursed Seal of the Forbidden Spell

You can see how the PC deck uses Malicious/Disk to support Monarch plays and how the T-Hero deck instead uses Metamorphosis for "1-card" extra deck offenses (what is this, tele-dad?). t-heros 1 dasher + 1 monger is a clearly more aggressive line than PC's double monger, sakuretsu is way more defensive than the troop-dupe maneuver of t-hero. limiter removal and metamorphosis mean that even though t-hero and PC both ran triple cyber dragon, you can tell they serve different purposes. even the sidedeck is more aggressive and forceful than the set-pass kinda shit that rug and dustshoot represent. even though the "engines" are the same, they take radically different approaches to the game.

I loved this format, feel free to message me for games if I'm online on DN, or alternatively, message me on here if I'm online ^_^

DN: DGzFaint

Also, gadgets were SO GOOD this format!!! I remember making a deck with Mirror Link of a gadget build siding into an Explosion/DDT build, hell that was fun back in the day.

To the above dissenting posters, a few points:

1. May 2007 was pre-Raiza. Obviously Raiza changed the format a bit, as it was vastly superior to zaborg.

2. Those decks were established early in the format. In fact, I don't believe the term Perfect Circle was even used in reference to Samek's. While the names may be catchy, those deck lists were not necessarily the best options toward the end of the summer. Of course they deserve credit for being innovative, but that's beside the point.

3. I will give in to the fact that T-hero and PC are quite different as defined by those original May deck lists, as were some subsequent spin offs. So I've edited the "Tier 1 Deck" category accordingly.

4. However, hybrid decks were played quite frequently.

5. It's a mistake to think of the game back then with today's mentality of rigidly distinct archetypes, with many cards belonging to specific decks exclusively.

6. Logically it follows that the decks and cards I've listed above are in no way all encompassing. This was only meant to provide a rough overview of the format.

If anyone cares to do it, by all means write up a review of any of the popular decks, and I'll add it to the OP.

Emon's Bazoo Return started this format and brought trooper to relevance before everything else. How can that get left off the OP?

Yo how did noone mention he forgot machine.dek in the OP?

would love to get into this format again. its not fresh in my mind but i enjoyed it very much and would like to get back to the point where i can think about the intricacies of the format. DN: LILB"THEBASEDGOD"

Ok, Bazoo return was completely irrelevant by mid-format (i.e. us nationals). It was only around in the period of the first events where people were experimenting with what was good, and we all know Emon was a massive stacker/magician anyway.

But machines is fine.

Another note about this format is the great discrepancy between ideal decks (online) and IRL decks. Many people could not afford 3x Ddraw, 3x Malicious, and 3x Card Trooper (which all came out within about a month of each other and were in the $40-60 range) and certainly not CCV ($1000+). In my case I played maybe one IRL event with Thero's and usually had to resort to monarchs or machines, which were much cheaper. Another dirt cheap option was gadgets. Keep that in mind when you evaluate top 16 deck lists, there is certainly an affordability bias.

I'll add "machines" to the OP, but I don't really think it's top tier. Second tier, sure. I believe it falls into the same category as gadgets, being decks that were just good enough to win, but over-represented in the IRL meta due to cost prohibition of the superior decks.