Jazz

Troop Dup Format - March 2007

60 posts in this topic

wat

machines were definitely top tier lol. people didn't just play them because they were cheaper than dheroes. they were legitimately good enough to beat dheroes. 

Machines were a hard as fuck counter to T-heroes due to 3x Dustshoot, idk what you're talking about.  Also in my opinion, this was one of the worst formats back in the day, otk's out of nowhere, dustshoots nonstop, it was just not fun at all.  I never wanted to quit as much as I did after Nationals that year

[quote name="TheNewGuy" post="3596737" timestamp="1381781827"]Machines were a hard as fuck counter to T-heroes due to 3x Dustshoot, idk what you're talking about.  Also in my opinion, this was one of the worst formats back in the day, otk's out of nowhere, dustshoots nonstop, it was just not fun at all.  I never wanted to quit as much as I did after Nationals that year[/quote] This

Fine machines can be tier 1. I still think they were overrated and over-represented as all balls, and that they are inferior to hero variants and possibly womack.dek.

I don't consider "3x dustshoot" a "machine" card. Dustshoot can be splashed in any aggressive deck in this format. The only thing machines have going for them are machine dup and limiter, which can steal a couple games. Having played them a lot back then, and now having played mostly heroes, I can say I hate playing machines in this format. Not only are they subpar, but they're too simple to play.

When I played this format, I didn't like it much at all, but I think it was the best one since goat format. If you compare it to goat format, obviously it was inferior. But what isn't? This format is different from goat format. You need to understand, accept, and embrace the strategy of it before you write it off. It sounds like you guys don't get that. As far as best since goat control, maybe the flip flop format comes close, but I haven't played that in ages. Someone should make a page for it.

To the "otk's come out of nowhere" comment, yes they do, but they are so frequent they are predictable, and thus they are an intricate part of playing this format that must be mastered. The moves you make need to anticipate this simple fact. For example you should expect to get otk'd by a brain control when you have 4000 lp, so maybe set your monster f/d instead of attacking directly...

If you play this format with a goat control mentality, you will get OTK'd, plain and simple. 

My friends and I are planning on picking up this format as a second old format deck to play irl, what are the most skillful decks, after reading all this stuff about machines i'm thinking of avoiding this. We currently have 2 DDT decks atm but thats it

My friends and I are planning on picking up this format as a second old format deck to play irl, what are the most skillful decks, after reading all this stuff about machines i'm thinking of avoiding this. We currently have 2 DDT decks atm but thats it

In terms of skill id say PCM is probably the most because of all the different options you have on a turn to turn basis. Standard Monarchs are pretty skill based too knowing how to get the most of your monarchs is really important and knowing whether to set treeborn/deko/spy/tomato is also pretty important. Gadgets and Machines aren't completely straightforward to play (especially the spy/raiza builds) but they are also not the most complicated deck in the format either. Generally Demise and standard Thero are pretty opening hand dependent. DDT is pretty under-powered in the format especially after people learned to play against it and Dustshoot  became a 3 of in every deck.(hence the lack of tops towards the end of the format) It can still win games vs the best decks but in reality it gets out tempoed by PCM Thero Machines and Gadgets. DDt is also pretty unforgivable if you dont play it perfectly.

Id recomend making 2 machine(a peddle and a raiza/gkspy build), a pcm , and a standard monarch deck and play those against each other maybe also some mirrors too of thoese 3 those are the most fun and less sacky match ups in the format imo. If youd like to play hit me up on dn jser12

Thanks a lot, i think i'd rather play a few fun games first and work out some of the basics before i start embaressing myself. The first time i played goat control i activated duo, my opnened typed 'lol' into the chat and just discarded the serpent before i targeted :[

The format was obnoxious. It was incredibly swingy because either player could win out of the blue.

Chain Disappearance was a very sideboard option to beat Trooper and Malicious.

I guess lots of the people here who play old formats or visit this sub forum are not comfortable adjusting their play styles???

imo to be a master of yugioh through the ages you have to understand that each format is literally a different game. That's what makes them so fun.

What was the last legal set for this format?

TAEV came out in mid august but that's kinda goofy to use that. Otherwise FOTB in June

I tend to find to be a master of the game you just grind the current format until your eyes bleed -________

Generally the best way to improve i feel is to raise the standard of play in one format to a really high level more so than sample lots of old formats.

idk am I the only one who thinks a name like Troop Dupe Scoop isn't the most attractive thing in the world

Lol no I agree. Would edit out the word scoop if I could. But troop dup is pretty accurate and catchy.

Also I am mostly talking about ppl who just write an old format off without even trying it bc it's not goat control.

uh having played this format very very intensively i can pretty much agree with what treadwell said. at the time, i thought this was a good format (simply because i won a lot, and it's how i truly begun to gain any sort of recognition in warring here), but the fact is, it was literally atrocious. the amount of games lost to brain control alone were obnoxious in itself. it's not simply "writing it off", it's just facts man. you don't have to be a genius to just look at the decks and see where it'd begin to get gay.  like this format is very nostalgic for me, doesn't change the fact it was terrible. i love this sub forum and i think it's a really good thing. but i hate to see people label formats "good" or "skill-intensive" just because they can't overcome their nostalgia. 

i also agree with pennington. that is a bad sample list for anyone trying to pick up this format. it really isn't indicative of the format at all. it just looks like a bad PC/T mashup. 

Well that sounds more like an opinion than "just facts" but that's totally ok. If you've tried the format recently that's one thing, but I know there are some people here who hate it from the memory of playing it in the past. Remember, the majority of players hated goat format when it was played as well...

I disagree about brain control, it's pretty predictable (like predicting goats in goat format, bc the typical deck plays 2x brain / 1x snatch) and easy to play around. Sometimes the best thing to do is set monsters and build up for a single game push.

Also, yeah my deck is weird, but I'm weird. Maybe it's too advanced. Or maybe it's not that good. I like to experiment. Going back, I find it a bit weird everyone is complaining about 3x dustshoot and running 20 monsters, so I wanted to see what would happen if I tried 16. Maybe it's not the best "sample for beginners" but I also linked a bunch of metagame decks. I would recommend copying one of those if you are just starting I guess.

Kind of annoying that you guys are just dismissing a PC/T hybrid without any merits to your arguments, too.

really enjoyed this format and enjoy replaying it, despite some of the bullshit ways you can end up losing. the womack burn deck is one of my favorite decks of all time. 

i've tested this deck a fair amount and really like it. side is just thrown together. 

aII82Bi.png

Looking to build something irl for fun that isn't goats and can't be teledad because people in my area hate it. Is it worth my time to build up a pool of decks from this format (if so which ones) or should i look somewhere else?

So, what's Womack Bum Rush?  I know what the others are, but I've never heard of that one.  This time was during my break, but I enjoy PC/Thero so I'm down anytime.  DN:  [Vampiric]Kulkulkan

Thanks, that's definitely interesting.

My favorite part about the list is that 3 Trooper = 5700, and + Goldd = 8000. It's like it was meant to be. + Lily is 8100, which is just as good.

Thanks, that's definitely interesting.

My favorite part about the list is that 3 Trooper = 5700, and + Goldd = 8000. It's like it was meant to be. + Lily is 8100, which is just as good.

Yeah, that's definitely really cool.  A deck made to dup troop, and then just drop game, like it's no big deal.  Definitely really interesting that one guy made a variation of a deck, and that deck became it's own deck in name.

I was digging through some old pages about this format and found some good stuff about Theerasak whom perhaps was the greatest player during this format.  Below is an article about T-Hero.  It's nothing groundbreaking but it does give an outline of what the deck should be doing in a game.

http://www.pojo.com/yu-gi-oh/garage/peanut/2007/7-5.shtml

Theerasak Poonsombat is perhaps the most accomplished Yu-Gi-Oh player in history. His credentials are staggering. He won the 2004 U.S. National tournament and has eight (yes eight) Shonen Jump Top 8 performances. He is a monster in the game. One thing Theerasak, or “T” has always been known for is excelling with standard cookie cutter decks. He plays cookie better than perhaps any other player in the world, isn’t it ironic that the one time he creates a completely new deck it’s completely…broken?

http://yugioh.tcgplayer.com/db/deck_search_result.asp?Creator=Theerasak%20Poonsombat

Above you'll find three decks from this format by Theerasak. 

I'll probably post my own T-Hero build soon (which is perhaps my favourite deck of all time).  I hope more people start playing this format.  A lot of the Goat Control players are probably turned off by the aggressive nature of the format.  Nevertheless I think if you give it a chance it will be a lot of fun.