Jazz

Troop Dup Format - March 2007

61 posts in this topic

I loved this format when I was a kid playing it. But replaying it it's actually just aids lol. T-Hero was my favorite deck though.

I'm starting to think PCM is just a less sacky version of this format. But I do love all the power plays of a T-hero deck with 3 malicious and 2 meta available.

Was trying to retroactively apply some PCM format concepts like PWWB and Soul Exchange onto a PCM deck in Troop Dup format, but the problem is you can still get blown out too quickly. It is cool that PWWB is an out to Card Trooper+Machine Dup though.

really enjoyed this format and enjoy replaying it, despite some of the bullshit ways you can end up losing. the womack burn deck is one of my favorite decks of all time. 

i've tested this deck a fair amount and really like it. side is just thrown together. 

aII82Bi.png

Does anybody know what the trap card in the bottom left that's like a golden explosion is?

NVM I worked it out

If anybody is down for playing this format that'd be chill

Edited by ralfiano

Would love to play this format or Jan 08. Someone hit me up if you see me on dn: JazzDgz

(it's such a nice change of pace from goat/newgioh)

Just wondering, were there any sort of guides/articles or anything when it comes to playing DDT? I know there's a handful of features of it, a few with some good explanation of thought processes, but I can't find any really indepth stuff on why monster lineups looked how they did, tech choices, technical play or anything like that

Just wondering, were there any sort of guides/articles or anything when it comes to playing DDT? I know there's a handful of features of it, a few with some good explanation of thought processes, but I can't find any really indepth stuff on why monster lineups looked how they did, tech choices, technical play or anything like that

You should talk to Perovic, he loves that deck.

You should know that the win condition is to OTK or overwhelm with advantage generated from Return or DF. It's really rare to win any other way. The deck is designed to set up the GY and the RFG pile quickly to get massive pluses off it.

Divine Sword Phoenix Blade is probably the key to the entire deck that most people overlook. I won a game against *Sinister Serpent* recently by preemptively using 2 DD Crows to banish 2 copies of Divine Sword after someone flipped a Morphing Jar. He and I have been playing this format a lot lately and having a total blast. It's really great once you delve deeper into it and get over the opening Dustshoot and Troop+Dup shenanigans. We're hoping to update this intro in the near future with some "modern" lists. There are a lot of solid decks.

Another amazing thing about the deck is it is a great anti-meta choice against all the 3x Trap Dustshoot. It runs 2 RotA and a very low monster count. RotA is the single best answer to Dustshoot and the fact that all Hero decks didn't run 2 is the single biggest mistake I see people making in the old top cut lists on metagame.

Preaux I'm *Sinister Serpent* on DN and I'll gladly discuss DDT with you and help you test etc. I'm no Kris Perovic when it comes to DDT but it is the deck I have played the most next to the deck Jazz and I are building, so just hit me up next time you're on DN.

You should talk to Perovic, he loves that deck.

You should know that the win condition is to OTK or overwhelm with advantage generated from Return or DF. It's really rare to win any other way. The deck is designed to set up the GY and the RFG pile quickly to get massive pluses off it.

Divine Sword Phoenix Blade is probably the key to the entire deck that most people overlook. I won a game against *Sinister Serpent* recently by preemptively using 2 DD Crows to banish 2 copies of Divine Sword after someone flipped a Morphing Jar. He and I have been playing this format a lot lately and having a total blast. It's really great once you delve deeper into it and get over the opening Dustshoot and Troop+Dup shenanigans. We're hoping to update this intro in the near future with some "modern" lists. There are a lot of solid decks.

Another amazing thing about the deck is it is a great anti-meta choice against all the 3x Trap Dustshoot. It runs 2 RotA and a very low monster count. RotA is the single best answer to Dustshoot and the fact that all Hero decks didn't run 2 is the single biggest mistake I see people making in the old top cut lists on metagame.

Yeah, it seems like he'd probably be the guy to go to. Like, every metagame feature is pretty much him and Marc Glass iirc. 

Oh, to clarify, I do understand the high-concept of what the deck does. I played around with it for a bit a year ago on DN and there were so many turns that looked like "put 4-8k on the board, with Storm and/or Vortex, and enough spells to do about that much next turn". It's pretty jarring when you look at some PCM or something trying to crank out +1/+2 off their single summon, and then watch DDT cycle through tons of cards and fill the board/hand. What I'm wondering about is the more granular and specific things. Like, for example, there was some feature that noted that some player's list was running Exiled Force, while another was running Dasher. I wonder why those cards specifically compete for slots. Or how sideboarding works for a combo deck that's so dependent on the relative composition of its monster lineup and has to maintain a certain quantity of engine pieces. Or if you have hands of Normal Summons and Reasonings, how do you evaluate which ones to lead with or how to build optimal sequences. I was hoping there'd be some kinda equivalent to the JaeKim/Tele-Dad guide out there for DDT, but I've had no luck finding one

I agree that Phoenix Blade is definitely the underlooked engine piece. While it doesn't represent quite as much raw advantage as Diamond Dude letting you skip the cost of 2k life or discarding 1 or 2 cards (D-Dude being the flashier and titular engine piece), the fact that Phoenix Blade can be used multiple times out of nowhere, while quickly setting up Dimension Fusion, can represent huge swings.

RotA aside, I thought the deck was pretty vulnerable to Dustshoot? Iirc, the use of Dustshoot cropped up because it, in conjunction with Mind Crush, could cripple DDT and Demise decks? Or do I have that wrong? Granted, having 50% of your "summons" be in the form of Reasoning/RotA certainly helps, though, it just seems like it'd be a particular headache post-board having to go second and lose your hand to Shoot+Crush or something. Though, going first, you could probably drop half your hand anyway... 

Preaux I'm *Sinister Serpent* on DN and I'll gladly discuss DDT with you and help you test etc. I'm no Kris Perovic when it comes to DDT but it is the deck I have played the most next to the deck Jazz and I are building, so just hit me up next time you're on DN.

Is DN still up and running? I've only been skimming the C&D posts on the DN thread. I'll definitely pop in and ask about it/spectate games if you're online.