Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dubkdad1

raigeki break vs dragon ruler

8 posts in this topic

Player A has redox and tempest in grave and no other monsters, with Blaster in hand raigeki break set

Player B (me) Yamato with emptiness set

player A activates the summoning effect of blaster to summon from hand

player B activates emptiness on the chain.

player A chains 'geki break targeting emptiness using blaster in hand as the cost.

my question is, does the blaster get summoned?

misread the question

No.

Compare Dragon Ice

[spoiler]

When your opponent Special Summons a monster (except during theDamage Step): You can discard 1 card; Special Summon this card from your hand or Graveyard.

[/spoiler]

with Blaster

[spoiler]

If this card is in your hand or Graveyard: You can banish a total of 2 FIREand/or Dragon-Type monsters from your hand and/or Graveyard, except this card; Special Summon this card

[/spoiler]

Because Blaster declares where it is activated (i.e. "If this card is in your hand or Graveyard:"), it must be in the same place. 

You can't compare it with Machina Fortress, Fortress is not an effect which activates. 

You can Summon it. Dragon ice even has a specific ruling saying that you can discard him for his own cost and then Summon him from the graveyard.

OMG! This is the 1st time in 2 years that I actually need/want Earl level gobblety-gook explanation for a ruling >.<

OMG! This is the 1st time in 2 years that I actually need/want Earl level gobblety-gook explanation for a ruling >.<

I think probbaly the best explanation you'll get is that Machina Fortress and Dragon Ice just have the right properties to get away with being dumped in the Graveyard, while other effects don't.

Those right properties would be that the place where you can activate the effect (or initiate the Summon) and the place where the monster may end up after paying the cost do match.

I.e. Dragon Ice tells you that you can Summon it from the Graveyard, and its cost can make it end up in the Graveyard, therefore the resolution would assume Dragon Ice was there in the first place. Blaster would consider that its effect would Summon itself from the Hand, and if it's in the Graveyard, it doesn't work.