ACP

100 Reasons Why Your Game is Awful

beetle    1115

I would like this better if it wasn't a free advert for MTG.  I do believe for post 10k you could have at least made a list of 1k reasons why YGO sucks.

This ban list almost tricked me to getting back into the game.  Almost.

Also comparing YGO to MTG is like comparing Fedoras to Neckbeards. 

Lux    1558
I agree that Magic is indeed a better structured game, in every aspect. But like it's previously been said, you can't really go around a ygo forum gallivanting your points. It's like trying to convert Catholics to Athiests.

It all stems from Trollnami, back during UDE's reign I'd say the games were closer. One thing I like about MTG is that card legality is determined by set rotation, meaning that all the cards legal in standard (the main format) are readily available. I also like that sealed and draft are a huge part of Magic.

Back during UDE YGO, you didn't really need sealed or traditional because the main format was so fucking fun. I had a blast trying to beat Stein OTK and Chaos Return, as well as running them both. It's unfortunate that the game will never be like that again, but it is what it is. And that's the main reason I like Magic more now. It's hard to make the transition, but it's totally worth it.

My favorite move was the whole "what card do you want to be reprinted?" survey that had CCV on it. Apparently everyone and their mother voted for CCV, it was announced awhile later to be reprinted as a TU01 Rare, and then banned mere weeks after being reprinted.

»ACP    33422
Ok guys, I meant to post this last night, but I got busy and forgot so I'll post it now. This post was originally made by me in the staff forum 3 days before YCS San Diego and gives a good background as to why I have always disliked Konami. I originally didn't made it public because I didn't want some drama to go down in San Diego for posting all of this sensitive information. I feel like now is a good time to share it with the rest of the site. There's just one part that I had to remove, but it's not very important to the story.

Ok, so bottom line: YCS San Diego is this weekend and this is going to be my last competitive ygo event (in the foreseeable future). I'm posting this here because I don't exactly want to share my life story with the masses but I want the staff to know what they can expect of me in the future. This is going to read a lot like a "stream of consciousness" and I'm probably going to explain how I got to this point in reverse chronological order. Bear with me. Also, obligatory "don't tell people this stuff" because a lot of my story contains information that Konami would probably not like to be public.

Last weekend:

I attended the StarCityGames Open Series in Orlando, which is a 10K Magic tournament being run by an independent company (that doesn't actually make the cards). I didn't really know what to expect beforehand. I played Junk Reanimator because I didn't feel confident and felt that the consensus "best deck" tuned to my liking would be able to get me the best finish. The Saturday Open was 380 people, 9 rounds. I started 5-1, a handful of people didn't really know what they were doing. Then I lost 2 in a row and dropped. I was very tired after this tournament and considered not showing up on Sunday and just going home. However, when I woke up Sunday morning I felt refreshed enough to go through another day of Magic.

I started 5-1 again. The experience felt very similar to Saturday. I was mostly blessed with good matchups and a lot of my opponents weren't as good as I was expecting. Round 7 I got an on-camera feature match which you can watch here: http://www.twitch.tv/scglive/b/384933442 (fast-forward about 30 minutes into the video). I won a very close match. After getting home and watching the video it was apparent that both myself and my opponent made some mistakes; my opponent's were just more detrimental.

You may be aware that the commentators look at the decklists of the people they are featuring. Well there was an error on mine. In round 8 they deck checked me and I started with a game loss (this is the third decklist penalty I have ever gotten in my life). I was 6-1 now, allowing myself and opponent to intentionally draw into the top8. However, given that I was starting down a game, my opponent opted to not do that. I lost g2 in a favorable matchup due to not seeing an Angel of Serenity or Craterhoof Behemoth in my first 20 cards or so. Despite the fact that I got screwed out of top8 due to shitty situation, I was very happy with my finish, frankly because I didn't have very high expectations to begin with. Oh, and I also won $100.

My friends were also pretty surprised with how I did and asked if I was going to go to the Open/Invitational this weekend in Atlanta. Of course I told them that I had already bought my ticket to San Diego. You know how when you buy a plane ticket they always give you that option to pay $30 and then you have the ability to cancel last second for a refund? Well yeah I decided not to buy that privledge. I figured there was no way I would last second decide to not go. Well, shit happens I guess. Long story short, this was one of the most well run, fun TCG tournaments that I had ever been to. And that's when I knew I was going to drop yugioh and take up competitive MTG. This is what my MTG sechedule looks like: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsLYKVcwcHQddEJNTFRrYnFXWVVqcWIyUFJsNVZSREE&usp=sharing.

Moral of the story: Sometimes things go way better than expected.

About a month ago:

I was really excited for the first sealed ygo event ever (despite the fact that the tournament structure could be a lot better). I booked my flight and playtested a lot of irl sealed. As of today, I've tested 16 different pools in total. I'm extremely confident in my ygo sealed ability. For the constructed portion I'll probably play some pile of bad cards. I didn't really test, I'm just there for sealed.

I'd been grinding a fair bit of MTGO (Magic the Gathering Online) to the point where I now had every standard deck. Someone mentioned to me that Orlando was having an SCG Open coming up, so I decided to borrow a deck (I basically have no irl cards) and go.

3 months ago:

I was scheduled to head judge one of The Game Academy's regionals in Orlando in late January, right before YCS Miami. It was pretty much a no-brainer that I was the head judge. I'd done a great job for all of their other regionals and all of the staff loved me. About a week before the regional, my Tournament Organizer, Alex Evans, gets a call from Konami stating that I am no longer allowed to judge events (note: Konami didn't even call to tell me this themselves). Their reasoning? "Allen has said some inappropriate things about Konami on the internet, and we do not feel he is a good representative to judge our events." Their word-for-word, according to Alex. I could've actually not been more mad. Not because I cared a ton about judging the regional, but how poorly Konami handled the situation in my eyes.

Conveniently before the regional, trynet showed me Gishki FTK. As soon as I saw the deck, I knew there was no way I'd be playing any other deck. It was the best way to give Konami the finger that I could think of. You all know the story of what happened: http://duelistgroundz.com/index.php?showtopic=149540. The aftermath of this event involves a lot of talks of alledged cheating, to the point where I had to frantically call up all of my Konami contacts and explain how the deck works and why nothing I was doing was cheating. People at Konami's offices were literally panicking because they had no clue how the deck worked.

For YCS Miami, I was going to play in the event, but [44 omitted words]. I was approached by Frank Debrito and he explained that he literally sat in his room for hours goldfishing Gishki to try to understand how the deck works. Once he figured out, he managed to explain it to R&D and that they were going to hit the deck. My balls felt so big. I find it interesting how when trynet goes 6-3 at a regional with a deck, no one turns their head, but when Allen Pennington goes 7-2 at a regional with the same deck, it suddenly becomes ban-worthy. Between this and the whole "guess what? you can't judge anymore!" thing, this only reaffirmed the fact that Konami just tries to ruin my experience playing their game as much as humanly possible. After Miami I lost a lot of interest in Yugioh.

Moral of the story: I ball so hard motherfuckers wanna ban my ygo decks.

16 months ago:

A lot of things happened at once. I was in the race for something called "FNM Championships", which is basically a contest of the best bad player. As of today, they have discontinued this series. I was in great position, but The Game Academy forgot to sanction their last month of FNMs, meaning that I basically had no hope of winning the race, since a month's worth of progress was lost. Oh, and then TGA also fired me for no reason. So that caused me to quit MTG for awhile. I started grinding MTG again in the summer after the format was all Delver and Wolf Run, before M13 came out.

I also took over the warring at DGz and had fun with that. I played a lot more ygo as a result and eventually lead me to get my first YCS top cut. It was great to finally get that out of the way and gives me a little more closure if I decide to actually never play again.

Moral of the story: Sometimes the easiest way to lose motivation is to simply achieve your goals.

19 months ago:

I was maintaining a blog at alwaysaduelist.com. The content was not particularly noteworthy. It was mainly just tournament reports, thoughts on ygo and mtg, me doing math, and various news and relevant info copy/pasted from other places. Anyways, Generation Force was coming out, and as you know, spoilers will often circulate. Once the full spoiler was posted on Pojo, I decided to copy/paste it on to my blog. Within 12 hours of me doing so, The Game Academy was contacted by Konami. Not me, The Game Academy. At the time, I was working for them. Konami threatened lawsuit over breach of contract (apparently one of the things that an official tournament store agrees to is to not post non-public spoilers). They explained that I had simply copy/pasted it from Pojo and was therefore effectively public. They said they didn't care. The Game Academy was then told to (in this order).
1. Tell me to delete the post from my blog
2. Fire me.

If they didn't not both of these things, they would no longer be an official tournament store. I removed the post from my blog, and they told me Konami that they fired me, but actually just didn't. It's not like they had anyway to confirm.

Moray of the story: copy/pasting things from Pojo gets Konami's panties in a bunch.

25 months ago:

A local store was going out of business. Well not really, just massively downsizing. Long story short, they were no longer going to run ygo, as The Game Academy was dominating the yugioh scene in Tampa and they could not feasibly compete. However, they had already ordered Sneak Peek product for Extreme Victory from Konami and Konami would not let them get a refund and cancel their order, because Konami is obviously run by Jews. So this store had to try to sell the sneak peek product that they ordered and cut their losses. A friend of a friend told me this scenario and I decided to buy them out. Originally the plan was to just crack all of the product, go to The Game Academy's sneak peek with multiple copies of every card from the set already, then just uptrade the shit out of everything and come out way ahead.

But then I got a brilliant idea, why not just run a sneak peek myself? I'm not a Konami official store, so I can just do whatever the fuck I want! I'll run the awesome sneak peek that Yugioh players never had. So the deal was, $3 a pack, any number of packs. We don't limit your shit to 5 packs. We also had 8-man win-a-box tournaments, $10 entry a piece. And we did this all Friday night, because anyone who plays MTG knows that midnight pre-releases are awesome! Well as you may well imagine, this didn't sit well with Konami. Despite the fact that I technically did nothing wrong (I just bought some booster packs, once they're mine I can do whatever I want with them, right? The only one who broke any rules was the store that sold them to me), this started the train of gay from Konami that ultimately lead to my demise (and by "demise" I mean realizing that ygo is pile of garbage).

By now you already know how this story goes. "Hey Allen, we're going to give you the dick, but we're not going to actually tell you that we're giving you the dick" (Yes, that's basically the definition of rape). So The Game Academy gets called up and accused by Konami of selling me sneak peek kits. Yes, Konami is literally too stupid to figure out that the store that tried to get a refund 2 weeks prior and was denied might be the one who sold me the product. TGA obviously says they didn't sell me shit. Konami then says, "You either need to tell us who did or we're going to suspend your OTS privledges." TGA then calls me, explains the situation, and says, "Tell us who the fuck sold you your product." I then call them back and say, "Tell Konami to call me themselves and I'll gladly tell them." It's not like I care if the other store gets in trouble. They don't do ygo anymore anyways. TGA then calls me and says, "Konami says they won't call you. Tell us who the fuck sold you the product." I then say, "Sorry, can't do that." They then say, "Well we'll have to make something up then." I then say, "Ok, fine with me."

So they decide to tell Konami that Alterealitygames sold me the product. Jim from Altereality then calls me up and threatens to sue me for libel (thinking that I was the one who lied rather than TGA). I explain the situation and the fact that he's just an unfortuate victim of the fact that The Game Academy doesn't like him and Konami is incredibly stupid. Jim never forgave me because he thought I tried to set him up. So now Konami hates me, The Game Academy hates me, and Alterealitygames hates me. TGA forgave me pretty quickly though once I got a chance to fully explain the situation.

Moral of the story: When you're too stubborn to give Allen C Pennington a simple phone call, you drag a lot of unfortunate bystanders into a shitty situation.

8 years ago:

I wanted to be the very best at yugioh (like no one ever was). However, I had this unfortunate obstacle in my way called "high school." No one was a duelist, and everyone played some game that I had never heard of called Magic: The Gathering. I decided to give it a shot, and it didn't seem that bad. Later on in my high school years, I made a name for myself as one of the better ygo duelists and MTG was kinda put on the back burner. I went to few nearby MTG events when I could but nothing too big. I had just been introduced to MTG at a horrible time. By the time I had a clue what being good at MTG meant I was already topping ygo regionals and had convinced myself that this was the game that I was going to be a master at. I'd like to think that over the years, I made very reasonable decisions given the information that I had at the time.

Moral of the story: Don't live life regretting things only due to hindsight bias.

So I mean, I'm not really going to play more ygo, but I'm going to keep up with things in the ygo world. After all, I still plan on buying and selling ygo cards for a living, which means that I kinda need to have a clue what's going on in the ygo world.

I'll take questions now. I'll fill in more details for my ygo/mtg career if possible. I'll share stories, dispel rumors, etc. I'll also recommend cost-efficient strategies based on your situation for getting out of ygo and getting into mtg, if that is what you would like to do. I'm very convinced that ygo is not getting better anytime soon. If Konami has an epiphany, then it's not too hard to come back. But until that time, I'll not going to waste my time donating money to a corporation that has told me to go fuck myself at every possible opportunity.

• Upvote 19

IAmTheGreat    3772

You care WAY too much Allen

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

+Gojira    1706
Slightly off-topic I'm still pissed about gishki getting hit tbh.

droll and lock was a legitimate 1-card answer to the deck, it would have either become a good combo deck or would have died on it's own, didn't need to be limited.

I really like fighting against/playing combo decks. It's one of the best things about Legacy (even though I rarely play combo). Show and tell is eh because it's so easy to play, but having the different storm decks, painter, and elves makes the format a lot deeper.

Dank Memeston    1716

watt

POLLUTEDxDELTA    1887

You care WAY too much Allen

You may or may not disagree with Allen on certain things, which is fine. But on a moral level I don't see anything wrong with what he does. Allen clearly is passionate about card games and seems to be transparent about everything he does. Being credible and intelligent is more rare in the Yugioh community than it should be.

It's not like Allen is the Jesus Christ of Yugioh, I know that there is a laundry list of players who have done more for the game (and I imagine in more fucked up situations too). But none of them take the time or the risk to post it. Saying Allen cares too much is horse shit, imo

• Upvote 6

IAmTheGreat    3772

However shoving his opinion down everybodys throats every chance he gets and trying to make people feel bad about playing a game they enjoy is obnoxious as fuck.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

POLLUTEDxDELTA    1887

I could see how he is being obnoxious in that sense. I know that for 90% of my Yugioh career I looked own on Magic players and didn't give a shit about what they had to say. 

But there is a certain feeling of liberation in switching from Yugioh to Magic. The literal only bullshit I have encountered in Magic is opening an unplayable Sealed pool 1/5 times I play Sealed. The bullshit I've encountered in Yugioh... doesn't need to be rehashed. Every player knows it. Konami has made me playing my favorite hobby a miserable experience - and Magic has let me enjoy my favorite hobby without the bullshit. 

Patrick Hoban said a while back that he wouldn't quit Yugioh because he is at the top of his game, and it would make no sense to throw it all away and begin something new. I completely agree with him - for some people it is that skill set, and for others, Yugioh represents their social circle. It was both things for me for a long time, until I realized that by still playing card games, I will still see most of my friends at stores (i.e. Yugioh and FNM events being run together). And as it has been said before, many Yugioh skills transition into Magic.

There is a fine line between providing the community with information and jamming it down our throats, and Allen has crossed that line at different times. I'm giving him a pass on it because of my own experience in what it took me to quit competitive Yugioh (getting nut drawn and 2-0ed by a known retard, despite me outplaying him in every sense of the word). Reading 100 reasons may not have immediately changed my mind in the past, but all it takes is a couple things to stick and for a player to start questioning things deeper than "lol Magic is for basement dwellers".

• Upvote 1

+scuzzlebutt    23501

allen im not really sure where the best place to say this is but im just going to say it here, a while ago i commented on one of your photos on facebook when your profile picture was the nazi occupy yugioh logo and the next morning my parents like freaked out and asked me why i was friends with a neo nazi and i had to explain to them that my 'yugioh friends' or whatever weren't all insane racists. idk how thats really relevant to the topic but i think its a hilarious story that i felt like i needed to tell you.

• Upvote 30

jaymiechan    13

Most people ITT already have the view that Magic is in fact a better game, they just continue to play YGO for one reason or another (commonly "friends" or "I'm too good to quit"). I was trying to use my persuasive powers of logic and reasoning to convince people to abandon Yugioh and join Magic so we can make the world a better place together.

Or money issues. i still play YGO because for the most part i can still use the cards i already own, with minor updating (since what i play isn't usually seen as the most desirable).

What do you think of regarding the idea that, when MTG hit its Combo Winter (Urza) they were like "damn, we screwed up", but when YGO hit its Combo Winter (Chaos), they were like "Damn, look how much we sold!"?

»ACP    33422

allen im not really sure where the best place to say this is but im just going to say it here, a while ago i commented on one of your photos on facebook when your profile picture was the nazi occupy yugioh logo and the next morning my parents like freaked out and asked me why i was friends with a neo nazi and i had to explain to them that my 'yugioh friends' or whatever weren't all insane racists. idk how thats really relevant to the topic but i think its a hilarious story that i felt like i needed to tell you.

You're no fun. Should've taken the "How DARE you judge my friends!" approach to that situation.

Most people ITT already have the view that Magic is in fact a better game, they just continue to play YGO for one reason or another (commonly "friends" or "I'm too good to quit"). I was trying to use my persuasive powers of logic and reasoning to convince people to abandon Yugioh and join Magic so we can make the world a better place together.

Or money issues. i still play YGO because for the most part i can still use the cards i already own, with minor updating (since what i play isn't usually seen as the most desirable).

What do you think of regarding the idea that, when MTG hit its Combo Winter (Urza) they were like "damn, we screwed up", but when YGO hit its Combo Winter (Chaos), they were like "Damn, look how much we sold!"?

Sell yugioh cards, buy Magic cards. Not hard.

Konami is too results oriented, whereas Wizards is concerned about the big picture. Magic consistently reports higher revenue than Yugioh though, so clearly their approach has worked better.

MrMcThrasher    1274

Oh my god, the DNF response has been ridiculous.  I like the guy that seemed like he wanted to counter every single point and then just kinda ended up saying "You're wrong" without explanation.

SERIOUSLY, it's a game.  I don't care if somebody likes Magic over Yugioh, and I don't care if somebody likes Yugioh over Magic.  The people at DNF are not a great judge for how normal Yugioh players would react to this list.

»ACP    33422
Someone posted this thread on YCM and their responses were surprisingly reasonable... especially compared to DNF.

Justin.    735

I find it funny that he missed his Ravager triggers knowing that you had Bloodline to take care of his Huntsmasters Allen lol.

»Pharaoh Atem    15772

I agree that Magic is indeed a better structured game, in every aspect. But like it's previously been said, you can't really go around a ygo forum gallivanting your points. It's like trying to convert Catholics to Athiests.

It all stems from Trollnami, back during UDE's reign I'd say the games were closer. One thing I like about MTG is that card legality is determined by set rotation, meaning that all the cards legal in standard (the main format) are readily available. I also like that sealed and draft are a huge part of Magic.

Back during UDE YGO, you didn't really need sealed or traditional because the main format was so fucking fun. I had a blast trying to beat Stein OTK and Chaos Return, as well as running them both. It's unfortunate that the game will never be like that again, but it is what it is. And that's the main reason I like Magic more now. It's hard to make the transition, but it's totally worth it.

My favorite move was the whole "what card do you want to be reprinted?" survey that had CCV on it. Apparently everyone and their mother voted for CCV, it was announced awhile later to be reprinted as a TU01 Rare, and then banned mere weeks after being reprinted.

Konami's always had full control over the game, so acting like things were different during the UDE years because UDE had power is horribly wrong of you. If you don't mean to imply that, I apologize for misunderstanding you - but "trollnami" has never not had power over this.

Set rotation is alright for a game that wants to redefine what each format IS every so often. YGO obv doesn't want to do that: when you tell players "your cards will be usable forever (unless shit hits the fan)," that also means "the game will be the same at heart forever (unless shit hits the fan)". YGO now isn't that different from other formats, and considering how attached the playerbase is to personal choice in card use, this is the right choice for YGO's playerbase. (older players are a disproportionately small portion of the ygo base, and they're also disproportionately whiny - DG would have less than half its membership if it didn't rely on a thriving manchild population)

You having fun with those past decks while not having fun with the present isn't something you can argumentatively defend well: the differences between past and present are mere gloss - the mechanical core is ultimately the same, battle damage, primarily through the direct attack. Everything else is gloss, and because of that, I can say with conviction that YGO hasn't really had any fundamental changes since 1999. There've been plenty of changes that're deeper than others: Forbidding Storm is deeper than Forbidding BLS, for example. But nothing is fundamental change.

The CCV survey is for the best. If a stupid motherfucker wants a card worth Forbidding to get reprinted just so they can play it, and doesn't pay attention to when the list is going to hit, then I feel he deserves to lose out on cash when the list hits, for being so dense about what ought and ought not be.
  • Downvote 4

+scuzzlebutt    23501

YGO now isn't that different from other formats,

oh, honey

• Upvote 7

Jordan123    1536

The CCV survey is for the best. If a stupid motherfucker wants a card worth Forbidding to get reprinted just so they can play it, and doesn't pay attention to when the list is going to hit, then I feel he deserves to lose out on cash when the list hits, for being so dense about what ought and ought not be.

No one "deserves" to lost money because they didn't predict a card that was recently reprinted would get banned. This game is a hobby where you pick up cards you need because you want to play them not the stock market.

• Downvote 1

»Pharaoh Atem    15772

No one "deserves" to lost money because they didn't predict a card that was recently reprinted would get banned. This game is a hobby where you pick up cards you need because you want to play them not the stock market.

and you can still play the card, outside of a sanctioned event (since trad events have no presence).

but guess what?

players don't see it that way, because 

1) they often feel that their right to do as they like, regardless of who says otherwise 

2) a smaller part of the playerbase feels entitled to never "losing money" on the game 

specifically, that smaller part of the playerbase isn't just wrong, it's so wrong it hurts. This is a hobby, not the stock market: you are right about that. But you aren't entitled to not losing money: losing money is the entire damn point. Hobbies of consumption are all about the expending of money for the sake of enjoyment.

And any rational and well-minded player who isn't new to the game is going to realize "this card isn't guaranteed to be legal for use forever, so unless I like the aesthetics of just having it, I'd better be able to handle "losing money.""

If someone isn't rational and well-minded, and still buys the CCV in that case, then I'm of the opinion that they're too silly a person for me to feel sorry for them about their purchase. They did it to themselves, out of their own stupidity.

If someone's new, THEN it's tragic.

• Downvote 1

beetle    1115

I've always seen Ygo as a semi stock market.  The only exception was pre ban-list.  

+scuzzlebutt    23501

you have no understanding of how markets work and your post is stupid for many additional reasons

»orangeeyes    11863

yeah typically in real life markets don't have a player (e.g. Konami) that can crash it whenever they want however they want at everyone's expense and still make profit

• Upvote 2