Ray

Lou Reed died. Lets mourn together.

»Ray    1998

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/uVcRvrmj0OM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Upvote 1

»Ray    1998

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ffr0opfm6I4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

c'mon people this is like the saddest day

• Upvote 1

»Ray    1998

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/kTrG9z2AWxQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I don't think there's a single person who loves every thing the man put out, but I don't think anyone would deny that he's one of the bravest musicians to live. From the mix of frantic noise and beautiful ballads that VU produced, to massive concept albums with maximalist instrumentation like Berlin, to pure feedback on Metal Machine Music and the weirdest collaboration with Metallica you can ever imagine, the guy clearly didn't give a fuck about expectations and just did what he wanted for his entire career. That's a better legacy to leave behind than a perfectly consistent but unimaginative and repetitive discography, if you ask me.

I don't think there's a single person who loves every thing the man put out, but I don't think anyone would deny that he's one of the bravest musicians to live. From the mix of frantic noise and beautiful ballads that VU produced, to massive concept albums with maximalist instrumentation like Berlin, to pure feedback on Metal Machine Music and the weirdest collaboration with Metallica you can ever imagine, the guy clearly didn't give a fuck about expectations and just did what he wanted for his entire career. That's a better legacy to leave behind than a perfectly consistent but unimaginative and repetitive discography, if you ask me.

The only other musician I can think of who did kind of this same thing is Neil Young - his electronic music was pretty cool

»Ray    1998

yeah Neil Young does seem to have just done whatever, though there are a few albums that while good feel a bit like "hey I still like acoustic guitars and pretty things!" (I'm lookin' at you, Harvest Moon). even Bowie had a few sell out albums for christ's sake.

»Ray    1998

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/XPgGjUSEWss" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Final mourning song of the evening. Feels kind of poignant.

»Ray    1998

Nah, I think Lulu is an utterly perfect final record for him. One last fuck you to anyone who expected something else of him, and one last way of saying "I'm doing what I want and I don't care who else likes it". Besides, Junior Dad was a bit of a tune, in retrospect.