Barron

2014 Official MLB Thread

»Barron    7988

was that the guy who got his ankle ran over by eric young from the Mets? Also Skippy signed with the Reds for a 2 year deal. He did alright here in the season though struggled offensively in the playoffs :( 

»Jhub    1074
Yes he is. Still should be a good signing, it was a freak injury and shouldn't hamper Hudson that much come next year. A bit overpriced, but honestly I wouldn't be surprised if most signings this year are above market price. Decent FAs are a dime a dozen these days, and as the Red Sox showed last year you can't afford to miss out on these low risk, high floor contracts.

ATJdragon    967

i think most teams are more worried about the term than the dollars on contracts these days. theyll pay more per year for less total years. In this case, an aging veteran would command less years anyway so if i were san francisco i would be thrilled with the hudson signing. 

i just wonder who will pony up for david price. 

HououinKyouma    815

Wish the Angels pursued Hudson more, oh well. Great signing by the Giants. It looks like if the Pads send a good offer Josh Johnson's way it they'll be able to sign him.

»antispiral    1005

Antispiral do you know Kuroda is a free agent? If not this may be a good read for you.

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2013/11/12/5095172/hiroki-kuroda-yankees-mlb-free-agent-rumors

I do, but there hasn't been any indication he would go back to Japan this year. And I think the fact that kuroda enjoyed playing here and signed here for a few years would influence Tanaka positively, even if Kuroea decides to switch teams or retire.

»antispiral    1005

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/11/mlb-amending-posting-system-proposal-agreement-may-not-be-reached.html
[spoiler]Major League Baseball COO Rob Manfred spoke to reporters today, including Andy McCullough of the Star-Ledger, and said that MLB plans to amend its proposal for changes to the posting system after Nippon Professional Baseball took too long to inform MLB of a decision (Twitter link).
Manfred's comments come shortly after NPB Union executive director Toru Matsubara told the Japan Times that NPB has approved the proposed changes to the system in what was an "agonizing decision." Said Matsubara: "There was not enough time on our side and we havent got any more bargaining power than this. It was an agonizing decision (accepting the revisions)." However, as Dylan Hernandez of the L.A. Times points out (on Twitter), the lengthy delays might make NPB's decision a moot point.
Meanwhile, one owner told Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports that there are "serious reservations" regarding the posting system, and an agreement may not be reached at all. Should that be the case, coveted ace Masahiro Tanaka wouldn't be available to Major League teams this offseason at all (Twitter link). Newsday's David Lennon agrees (on Twitter), noting that MLB's new hard-line stance could pose a threat to Tanaka's ability to jump to the Majors.
According to the Japan Times report, the system that Matsubara reluctantly agreed to would have awarded the top bidding team exclusive negotiation rights with the posted player. However, the posting fee would have been reduced to an average of the top two bids, and MLB teams that weren't able to work out a deal with the posted player would be subject to a fine.[/spoiler]
More posting system news. The possibility that Tanaka might not even be able to be posted will really change the market for pitchers.

This is just posturing. Having a deal fall through would be a PR nightmare and a serious detriment to the NPB and even the MLB.

HououinKyouma    815

Pads get Josh Johnson for 1 yr/ 8mil and 4mil club option. Super solid signing by Byrnes. The Pads have been getting pretty darn good deals on solid starting pitchers. The Kennedy trade before this was a fucking steal.

Spreme    57
Holy shit Prince Fielder to the Rangers for Ian Kinsler just happened. This trade is unreal. I cannot believe this just happened. Profars fantasy value just shot through the roof.

HououinKyouma    815

Holy shit Prince Fielder to the Rangers for Ian Kinsler just happened. This trade is unreal. I cannot believe this just happened. Profars fantasy value just shot through the roof.

Wow. Watch Fielder have a bounce back year and just slaughter the Angels. /salt

»Barron    7988

cespedesflip_medium.gif

»Barron    7988

well that ends the Andre Ethier talk now. Would have liked Ian on the Dodgers to play 2B (If Guerrero doesn't pan out) 3B or even LF just in case.

Spreme    57
He will have a better year just from leaving detriot. Smaller fields for more homeruns from him. Rangers just got a ton better. Profar will get solid playing time at 2nd. Im not even a rangers fan but omg im excited. Tigers are looking into juan uribe now.

HououinKyouma    815

Kind of scared about the Angels with Hudson/Johnson/Vargas off the table. Hopefully this is a sign that the Angels are going to pursue Tanaka.

»Jhub    1074
I presume that they will probably have to trade Trumbo at this point unless they break open the bank again for guys like Nolasco and Jimenez. Trumbo package for Price seems pretty likely to me.

HououinKyouma    815

Gave up Fleet Pete and Grichuk for Freese... Fucking Dipoto man. Bourjos is easily more valuable than Freese. He's younger, has better defense, is under team control for longer, and will be cheaper than Freese. God dammit, I think I've lost all hope for Dipoto and the Angels.

»Barron    7988

Yankees sign Officier McCann to 5 yrs 85m (6th year option that'll tally to 100m), jesus christ lol. Then Peralta is close to signing with the Cards for a 4 year deal (playing SS?)

»antispiral    1005

i'm not too thrilled with the mccann deal. it's moderately priced and could be seen as a good deal, but i like other free agents more. 

i don't know if the steinbrenners are still imposing a 189mm cap, but we'll see. signing mccann might take away money from signing our other targets, like cano. 

Angeles    213
@Ken_Rosenthal: Sources: Haren to #Dodgers, one year, $10M plus 2015 option that vests at 180 innings. Pending physical.

I like that for a #4 and good depth.

»Barron    7988

Yeah i'm okay with that. Tanaka might not be available until next year. Also Bills won't be able to start until early June so it's all good.

ATJdragon    967

thats a good amount for haren. ive never really been a fan of vesting options. 180 innings isnt easy, id laugh if the dodgers purposely shortened his starts so he'd only finish with like 175 innings lol

»Barron    7988

thats a good amount for haren. ive never really been a fan of vesting options. 180 innings isnt easy, id laugh if the dodgers purposely shortened his starts so he'd only finish with like 175 innings lol

MIGHT HAPPEN SINCE JAP EXECS ARE COMING TO NEW YORK TO FINALIZE THE TANAKA ISSUE THIS WEEK @_@

Yanks/Dodgers are at the top of the list for posting bids.

»Barron    7988

Tigers traded Doug Fister to Nationals. Looks like they're making room to Max Max.