Barron

2014 Official MLB Thread

»Barron    7988

Since it's official the off-season a couple of people have been signed like Byrd to Phillies 2yr 16mil. Now there's a big rumor of the Phillies trading Dominic Brown for Jose Bautista within the next week. Though i'm excited for my Dodgers next season, 5-1 to win it all in Vegas and 7-1 from the MLB. We're trying to get that Japanese pitcher who's undefeated in Japan and possibly trade for David Price. 

HououinKyouma    815

I'll be so mad if Arte doesn't dish out the cash to get Masahiro Tanaka. Hopefully they at least get a Hudson tier pitcher without trading away important pieces and re-sign Vargas if they don't get Tanaka. I am also extremely hopeful that my boy Jerome Williams doesn't get non-tendered, and if he does hopefully the Angels re-sign him.

»Barron    7988

i heard something about if cardinals dont get troy tulowitzki from Rockies that the next deal they'll try to make is with the angels. 

Angels get:

Shelby Miller/Joe Kelly/Michael Wacha (only 1) and possibly another infielder

Cards get:

Eric Ayber and Burjos or w/e his name is.

Spreme    57

Masahiro Tanaka got his first loss.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/masahiro-tanaka-perfect-season-ends-loss-japan-series-183921227--mlb.html

Philles signed Marlon Byrd to a deal that seems pretty bad to me.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/24223641/phillies-sign-marlon-byrd-to-twoyear-deal

That's really about it right now. Lots of trade rumors I heard Lance Lynn was also being tossed around as trade bait. Tigers are looking to trade Max Scherzer. It should be a interesting off season this year. There are lots of great free agents right now. I really want to see where David Price goes.

»Barron    7988

aw damn. yeah a lot of players looking for big bucks this off-season though i don't think they're worth that. I mean you can look at the cardinals team and most of them are pretty much from their farm system. i think teams within the next few years will start working on that since a team like that went to the WS. 

»antispiral    1005

i honestly do not believe the dodgers will be able to sign tanaka. there are too many teams that want him more and also have the money.

out of all the teams being talked about right now, i would bet on the yankees. apparently they're going to reform the posting system, and one of the ways they might do it is by letting the player pick out of the top few bids.

it's hard to see a situation where he wouldn't pick the yankees (ichiro and kuroda both play there, he'll probably be the top dog if he proves himself, great city, etc.)

disclaimer: i'm a yankees fan.

• Upvote 1

HououinKyouma    815

i honestly do not believe the dodgers will be able to sign tanaka. there are too many teams that want him more and also have the money.

out of all the teams being talked about right now, i would bet on the yankees. apparently they're going to reform the posting system, and one of the ways they might do it is by letting the player pick out of the top few bids.

it's hard to see a situation where he wouldn't pick the yankees (ichiro and kuroda both play there, he'll probably be the top dog if he proves himself, great city, etc.)

Apparently it will still go to the highest bidder, but the highest bidder pays the average of the top two bids. So honestly even if I don't want it to happen, I agree that the Yanks will probably get Tanaka if they are willing to put up the cash.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/11/latest-on-the-mlbnpb-posting-system.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+MlbTradeRumors+%28MLB+Trade+Rumors%29

Spreme    57

Antispiral do you know Kuroda is a free agent? If not this may be a good read for you.

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2013/11/12/5095172/hiroki-kuroda-yankees-mlb-free-agent-rumors

7hhzz7 teams are always trying to get young talent and develop it. It's just a hard thing to do. You have to have the right guys scouting. Look at the Tampa Bay Rays they are also great at developing talent. Pitching flows out of them like crazy. Young talent is also cheap so teams can afford big name players. Thank you for making this thread. It is my favorite one on dg.

ATJdragon    967

should be a fun offseason as usual.

japanese imports via posting have been hit or miss so i dont know if its worthwhile to risk it for Tanaka if you can get a guy like David Price for 3-4 upper tier prospects. That being said, if one doesnt have the prospects to make that kind of deal I suppose theres no choice but to go for Tanaka. 

Byrd is definitely overpaid but im sure what made him attractive was the short-term 2 year commitment. all the other big time outfielders will cost 4+ years and/or many millions more in dollars. 

»Jhub    1074
too many question marks for me to sign byrd to that kind of deal, just goes to show how weak the power market it is this year. 

i honestly have no idea where price is going, although it's almost guaranteed they trade him this offseason. wouldn't be surprised if dodgers, angels, rangers, or the astros got him.

hoping giants make some better signings this year and increase payroll to at least try and compete with dodgers. need to get some good back-end starters and a better left fielder and we can hopefully get back in this thing.

»Barron    7988

Dodgers signed a 6 billion+ 20 year deal with Time Warner Cable, i think we have enough money for that lol. Yankees need a lot of stuff really.

Antispiral do you know Kuroda is a free agent? If not this may be a good read for you.

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2013/11/12/5095172/hiroki-kuroda-yankees-mlb-free-agent-rumors

7hhzz7 teams are always trying to get young talent and develop it. It's just a hard thing to do. You have to have the right guys scouting. Look at the Tampa Bay Rays they are also great at developing talent. Pitching flows out of them like crazy. Young talent is also cheap so teams can afford big name players. Thank you for making this thread. It is my favorite one on dg.

Yeah it's pretty hard but with the amount that players are wanting right now is pretty ridiculous (Byrd/Cano). 

Andrew81090    363

It doesn't look like the Red Sox are gonna resign Ellsbury. I think he is gonna sign with some team out west closer to his home in Oregon. 

Robinson Cano will most likely resign with the Yankees for a ridiculous price. I am guessing something really ridiculous like 10 year, 250 million.

»Barron    7988

why did they do that? They have Waino, Kelly, Wacha, Lynn, the other latino guy idr his name but they used him in the bullpen in the playoffs (martinez i think). They can also get other pitchers. JJ Hardy is pretty good (idk his contract status) but they are in need of a SS badly. Kozma is good defensively just not on offense. Descalso is balls on SS and isn't Furcal a FA now? or the next season is his last? Idk Shelby Miller was good at the start when they brought him up but i heard he didn't do to well after he got hurt. 

Spreme    57
Not sure. I can't believe they didn't. JJ Hardy is a stud. I would have done that trade in a hearbeat.

Descalso is a backup player only. He's okay and can play a little 2nd ss and 3rd. He's solid at what he is. Kozma is the worst ss in the game and furcal is a free agent.

»Barron    7988

Yeah JJ can supply what the Cards needs badly. I saw Descalso in the NLCS and he made many mistakes at SS than at 3rd. I don't think he's too comfy at SS. 

also Brian Wilson is open to staying in LA for non closer roll if paid like a closer, oh god yes please sign asap.

Spreme    57
Brian Wilson would be a great guy to re-sign. But yeah Descalso isn't a star player or anything for sure. He's a solid backup for what he is paid though. He's a player like a Nick Punto or a Skip schmuaker.

»Jhub    1074
I think you keep Miller, dealing for Hardy is tempting but he's in a contract year and I doubt they will be able to retain him after this year, Miller is a good young arm with lots of time to go before he's a FA, and I think he's done more than enough to lock up a rotation spot. I think if they do trade Miller, they would prefer a more cost-controlled contract in return such as someone like Jean Segura or Ian Desmond (neither is getting moved most likely, just listing examples).
  • Upvote 1

HououinKyouma    815

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/11/mlb-amending-posting-system-proposal-agreement-may-not-be-reached.html

[spoiler]Major League Baseball COO Rob Manfred spoke to reporters today, including Andy McCullough of the Star-Ledger, and said that MLB plans to amend its proposal for changes to the posting system after Nippon Professional Baseball took too long to inform MLB of a decision (Twitter link).

Manfred's comments come shortly after NPB Union executive director Toru Matsubara told the Japan Times that NPB has approved the proposed changes to the system in what was an "agonizing decision." Said Matsubara: "There was not enough time on our side and we haven’t got any more bargaining power than this. It was an agonizing decision (accepting the revisions)." However, as Dylan Hernandez of the L.A. Times points out (on Twitter), the lengthy delays might make NPB's decision a moot point.

Meanwhile, one owner told Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports that there are "serious reservations" regarding the posting system, and an agreement may not be reached at all. Should that be the case, coveted ace Masahiro Tanaka wouldn't be available to Major League teams this offseason at all (Twitter link). Newsday's David Lennon agrees (on Twitter), noting that MLB's new hard-line stance could pose a threat to Tanaka's ability to jump to the Majors.

According to the Japan Times report, the system that Matsubara reluctantly agreed to would have awarded the top bidding team exclusive negotiation rights with the posted player. However, the posting fee would have been reduced to an average of the top two bids, and MLB teams that weren't able to work out a deal with the posted player would be subject to a fine.[/spoiler]

More posting system news. The possibility that Tanaka might not even be able to be posted will really change the market for pitchers.

»Jhub    1074
Cutch and Miggy win the MVP awards. Can't say that I'm surprised, although I think Trout should have won over Miggy (in b4 stat head debate).

ATJdragon    967

last year the Trout vs Miggy debate wouldve been more legit since the Angels actually had more wins even though the Tigers made the playoffs. This year Miggy had an even better year and the Angels werent remotely close to the playoffs. Therefore, Im ok with it lol. 

Would be a damn shame if Tanaka cant come over this year. Im sure Tampa would rather have him not come over through, they can ask for the moon for David Price then

HououinKyouma    815

Trout was obviously the better player this year, his baserunning and defense was far superior to Miggys. Sadly, until stats are accepted by the "old school" there's no way that Trout will win. Which is sad because we are watching a present day Mickey Mantle in his prime.

ATJdragon    967

Trout could win it, just not as often as he should. If he continues putting up at least .330/30 HR/30 SBs each year he'll win an MVP sooner or later. Hell, Pedroia won one a few years ago (Not hating, that was just a bad year for AL MVPs haha)

»Jhub    1074
To me the team record should be completely disregarded (it basically says so in the MVP Ballot criteria), so you have to pick the best player in the game and no one in their right mind would argue that it's not Mike Trout, old and new thinkers a like. Honestly that's what most of these debates come down to, people will mention that Miggy's team made the playoffs and that Trout's didn't, but that doesn't seem like a valid argument IMO. You're arguing that because someone's team was better overall, they deserve to be recognized for an individual award over someone that is an undeniably better player but on a worse team. Switch Miggy and Trout's teams, and I'm sure the results remain the same. Take them away from both teams, and I'll gladly take the team with 3 Cy Young contenders and several all stars minus Cabrera.
  • Upvote 1

HououinKyouma    815

To me the team record should be completely disregarded (it basically says so in the MVP Ballot criteria), so you have to pick the best player in the game and no one in their right mind would argue that it's not Mike Trout, old and new thinkers a like. Honestly that's what most of these debates come down to, people will mention that Miggy's team made the playoffs and that Trout's didn't, but that doesn't seem like a valid argument IMO. You're arguing that because someone's team was better overall, they deserve to be recognized for an individual award over someone that is an undeniably better player but on a worse team. Switch Miggy and Trout's teams, and I'm sure the results remain the same. Take them away from both teams, and I'll gladly take the team with 3 Cy Young contenders and several all stars minus Cabrera.

This is pretty spot on. Sadly I feel that it will never be about the "best player" and that there will always be arguments over the semantics of "most valuable."