FinalValkyrie

Starting up Yugioh again... need pointers.

Oh, its that one guy.

Topic. Ive been sucked back into playing the Yugimons and Im starting from scratch. Any tips on where to get started?

+Urthor    10227

um

well

ok

How long were you gone?

+Urthor    10227

0.o

man, you'd almost have to just read the rulebook again.  Things are infinitely different, and most people would say things have gotten dramatically worse from YGO's heyday. 

• Synchro and XYZ monsters are things, basically they're sort of like contact fusions in that they come from the xyz, and they just dominate the game in every way shape or form
  • The rules for priority changed dramatically, you can't use ignition effects on summon before Bottomless trap hole say
  • Cards are very different to read.  There's a thing called Problem Solving Card Text that if you know it makes the rulings for them make sense, but because of it all the old cards have been errata'd mostly
  • Basically the card pool is dominated by extremely powerful things released in the last year and that's more or less been the case for the last 5 years, only the most current cards are good enough to keep up so you'll need to learn all of them.  

website is bad    2172

Here's my advice to you:

QjuiFaJ.png

But seriously, you're gonna have a LOT of catching up to do. Forget pretty much everything you've learned, and just relearn it. 7 years is such a long time to wait before getting back into it.

• Upvote 19

Model    866

holy shit FV

• Upvote 1

Conspire    2391

The best advice I could give to someone coming back from that long ago is that Yu-Gi-Oh! is no longer about preventing yourself from losing and is entirely about going for the win.

• Upvote 6

Dank Memeston    1716

"Run."

Do not listen to Chris, he is biased. Join us! ;D

212kygaming1    35

Dont know if you're familiar with resources like Dueling Network and Devpro, these helped me when i was getting back into the game. 

With these you can learn to play,  test a deck before investing in it, and get an idea of what decks are popular in the current meta.

Devpro is automated similar to the old GBA yugioh games, its best to learn how things in the game function again.

Dueling Network is completely manual and is ideal if you're practicing for offline duels. It is also more popular than devpro.

I wouldn't recommend jumping into "Ranked" Dueling Network if you aren't familiar with how the game works...people are assholes

feel free to Pm me if you want to test it out, you can find me on Dueling Network as kairu11. 

• Upvote 1

Navarre    179

But seriously, you're gonna have a LOT of catching up to do. Forget pretty much everything you've learned, and just relearn it. 7 years is such a long time to wait before getting back into it.

This. It literally is a completely different game. It can't be stressed enough. Use DGZ, Duelingnetwork.com, read the whole rulebook again, and good luck.

ecko    25
FV!!

I am also returning this ban list.

To everyone else:
Duelingnetwork is great, is there anything that works on iPad or Android tho??

+Urthor    10227

FV!!

I am also returning this ban list.

To everyone else:
Duelingnetwork is great, is there anything that works on iPad or Android tho??

Plenty of people get DN running on various android tablets, it's not that hard iirc as long as you have a good one.

Obviously it's a flash program so you will have to pull some next level shit to get it to run on Ipad.  

And yeah no there's no alternative to DN for mobile.  

+Urthor    10227

God who are all these oldfags with "I'm 16 and what is this" sigs from a decade ago

• Downvote 3

ecko    25
Why the fuck wasn't DN designed on html5..

~NeoArkadia~    2794
Most of this stuff gets done in Flash I think for the same reason people used to do everything in Visual Basic:

"It's Baby's First Coding Language and easier to work with."

+Urthor    10227

what 

+Urthor    10227

What kind of an awful educational institution teaches Visual Basic or flash at the start of any serious computing course.  

He did it in Flash because Chris started making DN in 2010 

~NeoArkadia~    2794

What kind of an awful educational institution teaches Visual Basic or flash at the start of any serious computing course.

Whatever shithole MykeXero porked his knowledge for YVD from.

»canasian    4105

I took a whole course on Visual Basic this semester because BC felt the need to stress even more strongly that IS majors are not CS majors.