[NEEDS UPDATE] Geargia - Discussion

Suuwo    647

I would honestly just wait a week or whatever for the list to come out before making any big purchases.

uNFrozen    19

I would honestly just wait a week or whatever for the list to come out before making any big purchases.

Yeah I know. I'm just asking because I can start playtesting / getting used to the deck, which would be a waste of time otherwise :)

Candela    548

Bujin is actually a lot of trouble for the pure variant - no more Nishipachis/Bureis to make the match-up easy. 

Loukas Troll    136

Honestly, I don't think Auger will make the deck any better than it already is. It's just that Fire, Water, and Dragon Rulers are problematic for this deck.

Auger will increase the decks consistency to an extent letting you run a full 12 cards that can get you going -although that might not be optimal-

If we are talking about Gears vs Fire/Water I'd say Auger definitely makes a difference because he replaces himself turn 1 and not turn 3 like Armor so popping it is practically empty advantage

Loukas Troll    136

Bujin is actually a lot of trouble for the pure variant - no more Nishipachis/Bureis to make the match-up easy. 

I try to spam 101/Strokes and crash them to strip them off Relics but you got it right, no Burei makes it a lot tougher

The fact that you cannot OTK easily in pure and actually have to play the grind game vs Bujins -which I always tried to avoid when I was playing against them using Kuri- makes the matchup really difficult cause they're pretty damn good at playing the grind game.

Not ending the game quickly also increases their chances of them resolving Carnation which is pretty hard to answer and a blowout if you can't

Rahxen    14

I've just come from a locals tournament. I played Pure Geargia without neither Exciton nor 101. Luckily, I traded a card to get an Alucard =)

I went undefeated and got second place. I tied vs. Ruler Lightsworn because my rival won G1 after wasting a lot of time.

I won against Bujin, which surprised me. I had always a way to get Yamato off the field, though. Maestroke and GGX are your best options vs. Bujin.

Sometimes I needed a 3rd accelerator when I used all my monsters. But I think this is because I didn't play Emeral (I don't have it).

I tested a ratio of 2 prison 1 mirror force. There are situations where a battle trap can save you. Also I mained 2 veiler. I'll test the third one, but I only had two.

And my two favorite cards in the extra deck: Leviathan dragon and Acid golem. Big beaters out of one card. That's perfect. You have to play Acid golem carefully, though.

So I think I said all my thoughts about my first playing pure geargia irl =) 

I've seen some people playing Dire Wolf in Pure geargias. Is it better than in karakuri geargia?

TcHa    132

Auger does make the deck better, it itself makes a turn one GGX which speeds up the deck. With that you can search another Auger or a Ancient Gear Box, which searches Auger, to make another xyz next turn. Auger makes Pure the best variant by far, whether it be for his awesome search capabilities or the fact it speeds up our GGX/rank 4 plays.

First turn Auger is amazing but mid to late game I don't know if its as good because of its limitation on summoning on Machine monsters. GGX is amazing but there are times you need to access the 101s, Excitons, Dweller, etc and it won't allow you to.

The Ancient Gear Box play is nice but I really am hesitant to add an additional normal summon to the deck and another sub-par card to draw into.

Geargiagear and Armor are still the best cards in this deck and adding Auger does make it more consistent but I don't think it will make the decks matchup against Fire and Water significantly better if the decks are left untouched.

• Upvote 1

+scuzzlebutt    23607

-some crap I wrote that was found a bad idea later on-

edit:
On a more serious note, I have found that sleep depravation and general loss of focus make this deck lose even if you open godly, which, in my opinion, makes it a skill deck. Not just random machine spamming. DN 1600+ is some beautiful Yugioh right now, with a lot of firefist and if you try just a little bit you can be a very serious contender with pure.ut

It definitely feels like March 2013 Wind-Ups.

yes, absolutely this! i'm not sure if this is what you were getting at, but windups in that format had become noticeably underpowered compared to the other star decks at the time (ironically, both previous incarnations of water and fire, and later infernity and some might say evilswarm). it had become extremely difficult to play correctly, and in a different way than it had been in the formats before. in the previous format, "playbooks" were a huge thing: a bunch of players, myself included, took it upon themselves to record as many different plays with as many different starting fields as possible to maximize efficiency in wide swaths of in-game scenarios. this wasn't as much of a thing in the new windup decks because as it was no longer the most powerful deck in the format, its plays became much more reactive and responsive in nature. you were expecting to play a more controlling game, and as a result, a lot of the time when you were comboing off you were comboing to "play out of" a board that your opponent had already established. the "correct play" depended more on what that board was than what you were starting with. i think geargia is a lot like that right now. it pushes "through" established boards well, and can comfortably fall behind during the opponent's fundamental turn as long as the geargia player can be "the last player to go off." shades of teledad mirrors without oppression too.

Auger does make the deck better, it itself makes a turn one GGX which speeds up the deck. With that you can search another Auger or a Ancient Gear Box, which searches Auger, to make another xyz next turn. Auger makes Pure the best variant by far, whether it be for his awesome search capabilities or the fact it speeds up our GGX/rank 4 plays.

First turn Auger is amazing but mid to late game I don't know if its as good because of its limitation on summoning on Machine monsters. GGX is amazing but there are times you need to access the 101s, Excitons, Dweller, etc and it won't allow you to.

The Ancient Gear Box play is nice but I really am hesitant to add an additional normal summon to the deck and another sub-par card to draw into.

Geargiagear and Armor are still the best cards in this deck and adding Auger does make it more consistent but I don't think it will make the decks matchup against Fire and Water significantly better if the decks are left untouched.

Well, with Auger you don't have to keep using him. After you use him to go into GGX you can search armor. That opens your ability to use him to go into whatever you want, since personally I feel that going turn one into GGX is better than setting an Armor. Auger has it's good points, but it also has some downsides, the biggest one is the Machine only clause, but it does increase the consistency of the deck.

yeah, it's a pretty nice card. It does give some kind of good options with the deck. It's not needed though, since you can just search out whatever you need through GGX most of the time. I would mostly just use it with the Machina's though.

Well, honestly I don't think they will leave Mermail and Fire untouched. Both of those decks have had there times. They are honestly the only decks that need or deserve a hit. So trying to see if Auger helps against those decks isn't necessarily a bad thing to do, but I don't see the need when those decks will more than likely be hit. The real decks you should worry about are Artifact variants and Madolche.

• Upvote 4

Wiz Khalifta    73
How do you guys feel about a second 101? I've found that it's the best answer for a lot of monsters that are bigger than yours and there were some times where I felt like a second one could have won me a couple games

How do you guys feel about a second 101? I've found that it's the best answer for a lot of monsters that are bigger than yours and there were some times where I felt like a second one could have won me a couple games

In Pure a lot of people have like running two. If you have enough space then, yes run 2. They can help a lot throughout the duels, it's one if the best generic Xyz that was made. It can literally help in so many situations against a lot of decks. I have found myself needed two sometimes, so if you can get two and fit them in then yes. But it's ultimately up to the players budget and if they think they will need it.

• Upvote 3

Candela    548

Karakuri is the way to go for next format. 

• Downvote 6

Farester    821

Lol can you elaborate?

ranseiryu    1

Nishipachi and Burei definitely make Bujins much easier to beat, but I can still see Fire Fist being a very prevalent matchup. The Tenki-Bear interaction is the biggest reason that they're strong and good at beating Gears and limiting Wolfbark didn't do anything to that. I'll probably stick with the pure build until the format starts to become more defined because even without the Karakuri engine Bujins are the easier matchup of the two.

Candela    548

Lol can you elaborate?

fire/water will be less popular

bujin will be more popular

Farester    821

Lol can you elaborate?

Yeah I assumed that's what you meant just making sure. Like I understand Bujin is a pain but its mainly because of Kaiser and the synchro build still loses to that granted the match up becomes much easier when they don't have Kaiser.

Pure is just a better deck than the synchro build in terms of consistency and versatility. Would it really be wise to give that up to improve one potentially bad match up? I don't think so at all.
  • Upvote 2

Candela    548

Lol can you elaborate?

Yeah I assumed that's what you meant just making sure. Like I understand Bujin is a pain but its mainly because of Kaiser and the synchro build still loses to that granted the match up becomes much easier when they don't have Kaiser.

Pure is just a better deck than the synchro build in terms of consistency and versatility. Would it really be wise to give that up to improve one potentially bad match up? I don't think so at all.

The deck was consistent enough with tuners before the advent of super consistent decks like Fire and Mermail. Clearly the pure build is most consistent, but the breadth of plays you can make with Karakuri are more relevant, provided Bujin becomes fotm. The problem in the Bujin match-up isn't just Kaiser. Obviously that card is a huge threat, but one of the big differences is that Karakuri can put out three threats to Yamato in one turn, one of them being Burei. It's way more favorable to generate multiple threats in one turn as opposed to generating a threat each turn against Bujin. It's much easier for a Bujin player to deal with GGX, each turn, until they draw something that will just outright win them the game, as opposed to summoning multiple monsters that can deal with a Yamato. The problem with the pure build in that aspect is that it simply isn't well designed to grind with Bujin. One resolved Bujincarnation -> Susanowo alone can just be a complete blowout against an established pure field, and that same Susanowo becomes near impossible to kill without an already estabilshed field. 

It's not just the fact that Nishipachi and Burei can bait out negations, it's also the fact that Karakuri variants can generate multiple immediate threats that can bait out multiple relics, where as pure focuses on a strategy that is just ineffective/very risky against the Bujin strategy.

• Upvote 5

M.C.B.    172

Lol can you elaborate?

that's the thing, nothing would improve really by going back to karakuri

Bujins use Kaiser a lot and with firefists gone they will use it even more

karakuri under kaiser just loses, while pure can at least fight a little and not be smothered by it's own dead topdecks

I love the list! I love how geargia is in top 3 decks now because of it and I love how everyone will go to some form of dragons again so we can beat the crap out of them with pure (or machina).

Candela    548

Lol can you elaborate?

karakuri under kaiser just loses, while pure can at least fight a little and not be smothered by it's own dead topdecks

I love the list! I love how geargia is in top 3 decks now because of it and I love how everyone will go to some form of dragons again so we can beat the crap out of them with pure (or machina).

It's not fair to use Kaiser as an argument. Regardless of what variant you are playing, you are going to lose if you can't get rid of Kaiser. It's simple as that. If I draw a Saizan or something under Kaiser, it's going to be the same as drawing any other card that isn't called Mystical Space Typhoon. You're going to lose.

The only difference that you should be considering, is how the game is affected when not under Kaiser depending on what variant you are playing. Am I going to want to try to plow through Yamato with slower advantage with multiple GGX or am I going to want to brute force my way in one turn? If I can't break it up in one turn, am I going to want multiple guys 2500+ or am I going to want guys ranging from 1800-2300? 

• Upvote 2

M.C.B.    172

Lol can you elaborate?

It's not fair to use Kaiser as an argument. Regardless of what variant you are playing, you are going to lose if you can't get rid of Kaiser. It's simple as that. If I draw a Saizan or something under Kaiser, it's going to be the same as drawing any other card that isn't called Mystical Space Typhoon. You're going to lose.

The only difference that you should be considering, is how the game is affected when not under Kaiser depending on what variant you are playing. Am I going to want to try to plow through Yamato with slower advantage with multiple GGX or am I going to want to brute force my way in one turn? If I can't break it up in one turn, am I going to want multiple guys 2500+ or am I going to want guys ranging from 1800-2300? 

the attak should not matter, as long as it is above 1900-2000 (briliant, gigant...)

When do we lose to bujins? When they get their ball rolling, after turn 3, when they accumulate all th bujingis they need. To beat bujins we need to improve our game vs them for the early game, setup phase, first two turns. And I dont think that playing a deck that requires setting up to work accomplishes that.

Candela    548

Lol can you elaborate?

the attak should not matter, as long as it is above 1900-2000 (briliant, gigant...)

When do we lose to bujins? When they get their ball rolling, after turn 3, when they accumulate all th bujingis they need. To beat bujins we need to improve our game vs them for the early game, setup phase, first two turns. And I dont think that playing a deck that requires setting up to work accomplishes that.

It does matter. Anything that is below 2400 (in most cases 2500 because of Tenki) is susceptible to Susanowo. Pure Geargia, more often than not, will end boards with one or more GGX+a rank 3. Susanowo has the ability to dump a relic and then wipe the whole board. Once that happens, it's essentially game over. The nature of the deck just does not do well against a Susanowo, simply because you are limited by the inherent nature of the deck and its reliance on normal summons when an Armor is not already on the field. You will at most be able to summon another rank 4 or rank 3 each turn, in which case, Turtle deals with most of them. If it gets to that point Bujin have already won. It's not just Yamato that is important, 2400 is a huge threshold in that match-up. 

I don't get why you think Karakuri requires anymore setup than pure Geargia. Unless if you draw Gear, you're still reliant on a monster that has to be set before it even does anything. It requires the same amount of set-up, and the problems lies in the fact that pure variants excel in creating threats turn after turn, where as Karakuri creates multiple threats in one single turn. The latter's playstyle is much more suited to beat Bujin. 

• Upvote 4