DoubtFull

ARG Nasheville 3rd Place Report

DoubtFull    240

Before I get started I have to thank my best friend Jared Minderman for driving, James Frazier and Parker Roberson for their invaluable help in testing, and the staff of Alter Reality Games for hosting a fantastic tournament. Without these people my success in the event would not have been possible so thank you everyone!

After placing top 4 in the ARG 1k at indy the week prior to this event (losing only to James who piloted an almost mirror copy of the deck), I decided to spend the last week before nasheville testing like crazy on DN. These were my results.

untitled2.png

I was so frustrated in testing that it actually got to the point where I literally left a match against someone just because he opened the 3 axis combo on me. for the third time in a row. Anyways, come Saturday I ended up back where I started with 3/4 fists and made a few changes to trade power for consistency.

0cLb5m6.png

3/4 axis Fair fists

Main Deck 40:

3 bear, 2 wolfbark, 1 gorilla - standard

1 dragon- At the last minute I felt like I needed more monsters, so even though drawing into dragon sucks I decided to put him in to give myself easy cardinal plays.

1 spirit, 3 leopard - standard

2 rooster- drawing rooster usually sucks unless its with a tensu or a tenki, I dont think this should be run at 3.

1 veiler- This is a great card but I hate drawing multiple copies of it so I like to keep it as a 1 of in the majority of my decks. Sometimes traps that you can set are just better for the fear factor.

3 duality- this is a card that might seem bad in this type of deck but is actually amazing. In a combo deck you need to get certain pieces of the puzzle and upstart just isn't the same. Looking back, I can honestly say that this card was probably the MVP of the deck.

3 MST- so good I play 7

3 tenki- without this going to 3 this deck would not be half as good

2 tensu-  generally makes bad hands worse, consistency over power

2 gyokkou- I made fun of James for the longest time for only playing 2 copies of this card, but in the end the card clogs your own backrow and isnt needed at 3

2 rekindling- This card is the nuts. but consistency over power

1 BoM

1 forbidden lance- I found myself losing a lot on dn to hands traps and counter traps which lance is useless against. Amazing card, but I rarely want 2 copies in my hand at any given moment.

2 Dust- I was siding this in against borderline everything so I decided to save myself a step and just put them in the main

1 tt, 1 bth, 1mf, 1 warning- standard trap line up. fiendish can clog backrow and isnt great against hieratics or geargias so I decided not to main it.

2 black horn - really good card against the meta right now.

1 tensen- another card that you hate drawing but need for the utility of it. Genuinely cannot believe that people actually play 2 of this though.

Side deck is reflective of the pool of cards that was available to me an hour before the tournament.

side:

3 dyna, 2 barrier statue- wasn't losing to heiratics. wish it had been the dark statue but I couldn't get a hold of them in time

1 veiler- prophecies and other random crap.

1 dark hole- geargia, druler hieratics, mermails, some variants of fire fist

1 soul drain

1 horn- sup geargia. I see you hieratics

2 fiendish- had a nightmare about losing to inzektors. also good in a few random other match ups, this was a last minute addition.

2 mistake

2 rivalry

Extra deck is pretty standard, worth mentioning that I completely forgot to put cowboy in, so you could say I was really prepared for this tournament.

After some last minute scrambling for cards I eventually sat down across my round 1 opponent at around 10:30 and wished him luck.

Round 1: 0-0, Chain burn

Die roll lost (rolled snake eyes)

Game 1- He dualities into a morphing jar and then plays heat wave. I read the card, realize that he could set morphing jar and flip it without me being able to bear it, and decide its worth my time to call a judge over to explain to him that he cant play heat wave after playing duality. The game drags on for a few more turns because of cardcar d's but I take this one really easily. Worth mentioning that I tried to cowboy him for game at one point, so that was awkward.

Game 2- He sided in macro cosmos and mst's for my tenkis. 

All of my friends played meta and verbally abused me for getting the round 1 bye. I assured them that my next opponent would be more of a challenge 

Round 2: 1-0, Black wings

Die Roll won

Game 1- I open tensen and no monsters and set 3 pass. He summons the 700 attack guy, attacks and sets 3. I set a 4th card and get endphase'd harpies feather duster'd. I think for a moment and dust one of his cards and then he attacks and passes... Im pretty sure he didnt conduct his draw phase but I wasnt positive so I didnt say anything. Anyways a few good tenki topdecks make me take this game relatively easily from there.

Game 2- I open 5 or 6 spells and he flips curse of darkness on me. Sweet. He doesnt really have any cards to stop my plays though so after taking 5k damage I'm eventually able to clear the curse with gorilla and take the game easily.

By this point all of my friends hate me.

Round 3: 2-0, Evilswarms

Die Roll lost

This opponent was really nice and we kept up with each other's record throughout the day afterwards. 

Game 1- His hand is subpar and I topdeck 2 blackhorns back to back to win this one relatively easily.

Game 2- first turn thunder king set 3. at one point I'm forced to play tenki without searching and try to pop the tking with bear but I get breakthrough'd for game.

Game 3- I dont remember this one very well but I believe it was an easy win

round 4: 3-0, Harpies

Die Roll lost

Another pleasant opponent to play. i dont remember these games very clearly.

Game 1- after pushing back and forth for awhile I'm pretty sure I have the game and he goes on to make a dweller, misreading it thinking it would somehow stop my wolfbark/spirit combo in hand. I topdeck rekindling to make matters worse.

Game 2- I don't remember this one at all to be honest. I won though.

When I retell what happened game 1 to my friends there is talk of leaving me behind in Nashville.

Round 5: 4-0, Fire fist (Dalton Bouseman)

Deck Check

Die Roll lost

Going into this game I had mixed feelings about Dalton, but by the end of it I had learned a lot about what I need to improve on as a player and I had a new respect for him.

Game 1- he tenkis sets 2, I double mst, tenki for bear and bear to set another tenki. he double msts my backrow and gets his bear search, a few turns later the game is simplified to his 1 in hand, bear/tiger king on field, with a face up tenki and a face down tenki. I have a face down tensu that he had read as a bluff and a face up tenki. I topdeck the only card in my deck to save me which was a tenki, and after a lot of thinking search dragon. Summon dragon flip tensu set tensen, dragon eff send off 2 tenki for bear, bear effect over tiger king, dragon and bear poke to set gyo and lock his last tenki face down. I end up passing here but in retrospect I think the correct play would have been to make the bujin xyz. he wolfbarks into a maestroke to clear my dragon, which gets cleared by my bear and eventually I stab at his LP for awhile and get this one.

Game 2- I dont open great and he has a veiler for my horse prince. He topdecks tenki to seal the game and i scoop as we are about to enter time.

Game 3- I open 5 S/t, and for my 6th card draw duality, which gets me tenki. I rooster cycle the tenki and by my 2nd turn its my 7 cards in hand to his 4. This game is won shortly after as there wasnt really anything he could do.

Round 6: 5-0, Hieratic Rulers (Long Dao)

Die Roll lost

There should be a feature match of this somewhere.

Game 1- After a reckless and my cardinal he is locked out of resources and even though i topdecked 2 dead mst's in a row I was confident that this game was over. On his last turn before i had game he draws to 2 in hand, plays dragon shrine to dump tempest, special tefnuit, summon tidal by banishing tempest, search debris, debris grab laboradite, lab and tef make atum, atum bring out blaster, blaster tidal for draco, draco token and debris for black rose, summon back blaster to poker for 5400 and pass. I draw a tensu or something and scoop.

Game 2- I open up the combo followed by a dyna and he scoops

Game 3- He opens Atum bring out blaster set 2 and I'm able to clear his board with gorilla and bear. a few turns later I have the MST for his skill drain which seals the deal.

Round 7-8, Tie

At the end of the day I finish first in swiss with the same record as Carl manigat (prophecy) and Alex Keeler (mermail). After watching the JJ vs KS charity match, Jared, James and I all head to Fridays for dinner. After that we spend something like an hour trying to find a motel to sleep in for the night and I end up falling asleep at 2ish.

The next day we arrive back at the venue and talk with everyone for awhile and a few hours later I'm sitting across from Billy Brake at the live feed table waiting to start.

Top 16- Harpies (Billy Brake)

Die Roll Lost

Game 1- I open up Dragon, gyokou, gyokou, mirror force and duality. He opens dracossack set 4. I topdeck effect veiler for turn, decide that this cant get any worse, and then promptly get mistake flipped on my duality. This is where I would usually just scoop to avoid revealing what deck I'm playing, but since it was the ARGCS Nasheville top 16 and there were probably hundreds of people watching me on the live stream, I decided to stick it out. I pass without doing anything, and he summons 2 more tokens with draco before poking for 2600. I draw gorilla, gyo one of his sets, summon dragon and then gyo another. I try to trigger dragons effect to set tensen and he chains fiendish chain. I set mirror force and pass, he tries to pop my dragon but I use the effect veiler. On my turn i summon gorilla, run over one of dracos tokens, overlay for cardinal, and return his draco and mistake. I run over some more tokens for a turn or two until he uses hysteric party to make a chidori on me, returning my set mirror force and one of my face up gyos to deck. He cant run over cardinal because he is at 19 due to the other gyo, so on my turn i topdeck the gyo, lock the same back row, summon gorilla and lance over it to put me in a strong position. He draws for turn, shuffles and sets 2 new back row, and I endphase MST one of them to destroy a mirror force. "50-50 shot :/" he says. At this point im almost positive that the other card is also a mirror force, but because if I attacked with my cardinal, gorilla, and bear it would be exact game, coupled with the fact that I saw Jeff jones playing DP's and tons of fiendish chains, making me doubt that he even played 2 mirror force, further coupled with the fact that I'd still be in a winning positon even if it was mirror force, lead me to making the decision to get wrecked by his set mirror force. I end with warning set and rooster, he topdecks an out to my warning and summons cyber harpie lady to run over my rooster and i topdeck spirit for game.

Game 2- He opens draco, pop hysteric sign, set 2. I summon leopard to search gyokou to lock one of his backrow, tenki for spirit, tensu into divine vulcan to bounce my tenki and his draco. At this point I debate on whether or not I should play the rekindling in my hand and completely go off, but because I have dust tornado and bottomless, and a 2100 wall, I think that its actually impossible for me to lose on the next turn and that it would be better not to over extend into a dark hole or something. wrong. He topdecks an mst and with that and the field card is able to clear my backrow, make the ice winged beast whatever, and then hysteric party for 4 for game. 

Game 3- I open up the duality, rooster, +4 s/t combo. duality into tenki into bear, rooster into another tenki set 4. He searches the field card, plays it and I warning his dancer. On my turn I flip tenki to which he chains mistake, i chain mst, he chains another mistake, I chain dust tornado, and he finally chains mst on my tenki. I summon bear and search wolfbark with tenki. On his turn he hysteric party's me and my book of moon keeps him from doing anything. Wolfbark wins the game from there.

Top 8- Fire Fist (Brandon Ball)

Die Roll won (yessss)

Turns out we are the only match to not get a feature, and they actually just sit us at an empty table without a judge and say play. We joke around about how unofficial it is and then some kids walk up and ask us if we have trades (LOL). 

Game 1- I open something like dragon, spirit, and back row and set 3 pass. He mirrors me and we grind for a bit. I have the BoM/torrent to stop his cardcar plays and eventually the ball gets rolling on my side and he cant keep up. I drop him to 800 Lp, and he drops dark hole tking on me. I topdeck duality, obviously, and pass, and eventually topdeck an out to tking to deal lethal.

Game 2- He tenkis into bear and summons it, and then sets 4. I open leopard, rekindling, bear, mst, dust tornado, and something else. i decide not to blind mst, because I thought that he would let my bear summon go through so that i could minus by sending tensu to grave for effect and he would fiendish. So, I summon leopard which gets warning'd, bring it back with rekindling, search tensu and summon bear, use effect and mst the chain'd fiendish. This is one of those rare games where everything goes perfect. I get my search and pass, he summons gorilla, sends tenki to destroy my set dust which snipes the TT that he has set. He reveals the other set to be lance which he uses to run over my bear and search out his own tenki. By this point im up on advantage and have control of the game from here. I think I eventually topdeck rekindling for game.

Sucks having to play a friend but I had to get him back for beating me in the side event at Columbus! 

Top 4- Fire Fist (Dalton Bousman)

Die Roll Lost

I was reluctant to play Dalton again because of his ability to easily read me and the mind games but I was at least happy knowing that if he beat me he would almost surely go on to win it.

Game 1- I feel like this loss can almost completely be attributed to the die roll but unfortunately thats often how this mirror match works. My fate is sealed when I 50/50 blind Gyo the wrong card and he has the mst for tenki.

Game 2- I open 5 monsters and bottomless, including double rooster. Undoubtedly the worst hand I'd had all weekend. He has the mst for my bottomless and sets 3 before getting his +1 with cardcar. I summon bear and it goes through to search tenki. I realize at this point that at least one of his sets has to be overworked, but my hand is so terrible that I basically give up and ran into it anyways.

In hindsight I suppose that the correct play would have been to hope that against all odds he would not draw a monster for many turns and that I would somehow be able to chip away at his LP for game. Regardless, I wished him luck in the finals and prepared myself for the 3/4 place match. 

3/4 Match- Fire fist (Jacob)

Die roll lost (snake eyes...)

This guy made a point to say several times that he didnt care about the trophy, which was kind of annoying. He seemed nice enough but his 4 axis list was pretty bad and I was confident that I couldn't lose this one.

Game 1- He forgot to unside from his last match, so the judge rules that I would get to go first instead. I open up the combo to his set 5 and eventually slowly grind through everything for game. On the turn before game has has 2 set with 0 in hand, and so i gyo one of them, knowing that there was not a 2 card combination that could turn the game around for him.

Game 2- sets boar and 4 backrow and passes. I duality revealing bear, wolfbark, and leopard, and decide to take the leopard to couple the other one in my hand, in case he had the mst for the first tenki I set. He then mind crushes leopard and gets the free +1. Oops, guess I should have looked at his side deck. He also sees the torrent in my hand and chooses not to summon another monster and instead tries to poke me with boar to death. Fortunately for me he draws pretty much all monsters from that point on, and eventually I topdeck rekindling, clear his back row, bring back double leopard, tribute for tenki, spirit to bring back leopard, horse prince into rooster into bear, swap tenki for tensu, summon bear and pop boar, and leopard and rooster into lion emperor to return spirit to hand. I deal a lot of damage and pass with fiendish chain, torrent, and warning set and he draws for turn and scoops.

At the end of the day I walked away from the event with 300 credit, a trophy, and my third top under my belt. I also managed to meet a few new people and learn a lot about what I can do to improve as a player (thanks again Dalton!). It was great seeing everyone and I hope that we can do it all over again in Atlanta! Thanks for reading everyone!

• Upvote 25

Slashtap    2351

I've been following you with a close eye for some time (WOW creeper), though this is the first I've read from you.  It's refreshing to read a report that is oriented toward playing correctly.  The theme runs strongly throughout.  I am incredibly impressed at how many break points you got.  This is a truly terrible format specifically because break points are uncontrollable against competent opponents to a ridiculously high % of games, but you pressed through and punished.  I'm also delighted to read that you made the correct play twice vs. Billy, and even though he had the rare blowout answer both times, you still acknowledge it as the correct play.  Learn from this people: the outcome of your play does not dictate whether your play was correct.

There are some ideas I'm looking to discuss.  If you're interested in a little short-term collaboration please shoot me a PM.  If not, no offense taken.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

+Urthor    10206

Good report, great job.  Awful decklist, great report. 

DoubtFull    240

I've been following you with a close eye for some time (WOW creeper), though this is the first I've read from you.  It's refreshing to read a report that is oriented toward playing correctly.  The theme runs strongly throughout.  I am incredibly impressed at how many break points you got.  This is a truly terrible format specifically because break points are uncontrollable against competent opponents to a ridiculously high % of games, but you pressed through and punished.  I'm also delighted to read that you made the correct play twice vs. Billy, and even though he had the rare blowout answer both times, you still acknowledge it as the correct play.  Learn from this people: the outcome of your play does not dictate whether your play was correct.

There are some ideas I'm looking to discuss.  If you're interested in a little short-term collaboration please shoot me a PM.  If not, no offense taken.

Ironically your tournament reports from San diego and 2013 nationals have actually been a huge motivation for me to work towards perfect play. I'm very interested in a collab so expect to hear from me soon!

Why didn't you book the Queen instead of Dancer in top 16?

I probably should have mentioned this in the report. This actually was a misplay, somehow in the moment I convinced myself that if I booked his queen he would be able to just flip it back up (I get end phase party'd a lot at my locals). In the end it wasnt a huge deal because of the wolfbark in my hand but I definitely admit to the mistake. 

Proud of you bro! nice job! #FireBros

#ridetillwedie

902    1780

nice job man, i think i was the player who opened the combo 3 times against you where you eventually just quit lol. i think you were playing hieratics?

DoubtFull    240

I would be interested in hearing what you thought exactly was bad about my list. It is the result of a lot of testing and at the end of the day I was extremely happy with it. At least the main deck

DoubtFull    240

nice job man, i think i was the player who opened the combo 3 times against you where you eventually just quit lol. i think you were playing hieratics?

hahaha yeah it was you! It was a mirror match and I didnt even open bad but I was just already frustrated and was like "**** this im going to go play league".

Dont Forget    609

Ironically your tournament reports from San diego and 2013 nationals have actually been a huge motivation for me to work towards perfect play. I'm very interested in a collab so expect to hear from me soon!

>>Why didn't you book the Queen instead of Dancer in top 16?

I probably should have mentioned this in the report. This actually was a misplay, somehow in the moment I convinced myself that if I booked his queen he would be able to just flip it back up (I get end phase party'd a lot at my locals). In the end it wasnt a huge deal because of the wolfbark in my hand but I definitely admit to the mistake. 

Proud of you bro! nice job! #FireBros

#ridetillwedie

Alright I was just wondering. I haven't played with Fire much or against Harpie much and was trying to figure that out when I saw it. Good job op 3rd!

+Urthor    10206

I would be interested in hearing what you thought exactly was bad about my list. It is the result of a lot of testing and at the end of the day I was extremely happy with it. At least the main deck

1) you weren't playing 3 mistake.  Best side against prophecy ever made.  Card just scrapes that deck off, sticks it in a ditch, and it dies, especially because in Fire Fist you can do all SORTS of cute things to bait the mst.  Like how often do they just auto-mst your tenki on activation, then you flip Mistake on their turn.  

2) 

I was so frustrated in testing that it actually got to the point where I literally left a match against someone just because he opened the 3 axis combo on me. for the third time in a row. Anyways, come Saturday I ended up back where I started with 3/4 fists and made a few changes to trade power for consistency.

Like this is the second paragraph of your report and I 122.8784% agree with you, t1 wumbo combo vs the fire mirror and they have an obscene and ridiculous tempo boost you almost NEED to open one of your 3 sided overworkeds or dark hole to beat, or they need to open no defensive cards to stop you pushing back, and if they actually just open a single veiler they can shut you out completely.  Gyokkou/MST can't negate veiler and if you can't advantage up vs a t1 wumbo you lose.  

You played 1 veiler in the main to counter this.  You should have been playing like 4-5, but the rules don't work that way.  I'm honestly in the boat that would want to side a dd crow vs FF going second just so I can have a 4th veiler to shut them out.  Veiler's the actual stones and it stops you just losing to fire combo going second.  It still interacts fairly well with Prophecy/Hieratics/Geargia whcih are the actual problem decks regardless anyway.  The problem is the cards you justified playing over it are utter balls.

Black horn is immensely dislikable this format, like idk how you can say it beats the meta.  Obviously there's going to be a range of decks played and it's a different ole world out at Nashville, but were Mermail/Prophecy so underplayed that you could just maindeck a card like black horn and pretend they don't exist?  Vs Fire Horn is a definite side out anyway, you can easily easily lose games to fire without them XYZing.  Granted there will be plenty of gaems where horn goes off, in fact more than half probably, but a card that's bad for >40% of your fire games?  When it's such a common deck atm?  Not in the maindeck.  

Dust tornado is just bad vs almost every deck going second, and bad vs some going either way.  I could not maindeck that card it's too slow, going second in the fire mirror it's a complete liability, Hieratics=bad, etc.  

Mirror force is the best worst trap.  It's very average and gets there in most fire builds because you can't play 4 fiendish chain, but regardless of the fact every deck mains 3 counterspells for it. fiendish is an on summon trap that stops most of the monster effects that make you lose, and stops monsters attacking your life points, which also makes you lose.  Stopping on summon things is always going to be better than a battle phase trap because this isn't 2004 it's 2014.   

Duality is fairly here or there, like there is a lot more thought to go into that card, but 3 duality and 2 rekindling is just a cause for conflict and is going to lead to more of the brick hands that Fire is meant to dodge.
Especially going second, opening duality and like the spirit combo is just /wrists, because you need to comeback, you cannot afford a drop in speed you need to put a lot of card advantage onboard against fire.  But wait, you have this card that actually doesn't interact with your opponent for a few turns, so it is a situational -1 because the gamestate forces you into throwing out the spirit combo to not lose, and you'll have 1 less card to do things to your opponent. 

I honestly cannot see one reason to have the lvl 3 fire guy who steals level 3 monsters in your side this format, if that's what the card to the right of fossil dyna is.  So you're playing with a 13 card side deck.  

oic it's the barrier statue.  never mind thought it was something else.  Card's legit. 

You're not playing 3 overworked.  Like I've had a lot of bad people say to me "I can't side overworked in the mirror because it destroys my monster."  Newsflash, have you read torrential tribute?  Overworked is a straight up improvement to torrential.  Everyone and anyone I've talked to agrees they would have sided 3 overworked for the events the past weekend, if they found the card.  I hope not finding copies is your reason for not playing it like Brandon/Dalton/everyone else.     

The rest of your side seems to be like maindeck cards, so yeah work on those.  Black horn's a legit side card no doubt about it for hieratic/geargia, it's a question of, is it the best thing you can side for hieratic? 

Idk why you'd side rivalry tho.  Like why was everyone, is it just for mermails/rogue or something?  Because like you shouldn't need to strictly side a card that is only good vs mermail, that deck is actually just awful, plus you get a lot of side overlap on it with maxx/mind crush/soul drain if you play those.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

DoubtFull    240

1) you weren't playing 3 mistake.  Best side against prophecy ever made.  Card just scrapes that deck off, sticks it in a ditch, and it dies, especially because in Fire Fist you can do all SORTS of cute things to bait the mst.  Like how often do they just auto-mst your tenki on activation, then you flip Mistake on their turn.  

2) 

Like this is the second paragraph of your report and I 122.8784% agree with you, t1 wumbo combo vs the fire mirror and they have an obscene and ridiculous tempo boost you almost NEED to open one of your 3 sided overworkeds or dark hole to beat, or they need to open no defensive cards to stop you pushing back, and if they actually just open a single veiler they can shut you out completely.  Gyokkou/MST can't negate veiler and if you can't advantage up vs a t1 wumbo you lose.  

You played 1 veiler in the main to counter this.  You should have been playing like 4-5, but the rules don't work that way.  I'm honestly in the boat that sides a dd crow vs FF going second just so I can have a 4th veiler to shut them out.  Veiler's the actual stones and it stops you just losing to fire combo going second.  It still interacts fairly well with Prophecy/Hieratics/Geargia whcih are the actual problem decks regardless anyway.  The problem is the cards you justified playing over it are utter balls.

Black horn is immensely dislikable this format, like idk how you can say it beats the meta.  Obviously there's going to be a range of decks played and it's a different ole world out at Nashville, but were Mermail/Prophecy so underplayed that you could just maindeck a card like black horn and pretend they don't exist?  Vs Fire Horn is a definite side out anyway, you can easily easily lose games to fire without them XYZing.  Granted there will be plenty of gaems where horn goes off, in fact more than half probably, but a card that's bad for >40% of your fire games?  When it's such a common deck atm?  Not in the maindeck.  

Dust tornado is just bad vs almost every deck going second, and bad vs some going either way.  I could not maindeck that card it's too slow, going second in the fire mirror it's a complete liability, Hieratics=bad, etc.  

Mirror force is the best worst trap.  It's very average and gets there in most fire builds because you can't play 4 fiendish chain, but regardless of the fact every deck mains 3 counterspells for it is fiendish is an on summon trap that stops most of the monster effects that make you lose, and stops monsters attacking your life points, which also makes you lose.  Stopping on summon things is always going to be better than a battle phase trap because this isn't 2004 it's 2014.   

Duality is fairly here or there, like there is a lot more thought to go into that card, but 3 duality and 2 rekindling is just a cause for conflict and is going to lead to more of the brick hands that Fire is meant to dodge. Especially going second, opening duality and like the spirit combo is just /wrists, because you need to comeback, you cannot afford a drop in speed you need to put a lot of card advantage onboard against fire.  But wait, you have this card that actually doesn't interact with your opponent for a few turns, so it is a situational -1 because the gamestate forces you into throwing out the spirit combo to not lose, and you'll have 1 less card to do things to your opponent. 

I honestly cannot see one reason to have the lvl 3 fire guy who steals level 3 monsters in your side this format, if that's what the card to the right of fossil dyna is.  So you're playing with a 13 card side deck.  

You're not playing 3 overworked.  Like I've had a lot of bad people say to me "I can't side overworked in the mirror because it destroys my monster."  Newsflash, have you read torrential tribute?  Overworked is a straight up improvement to torrential.  Everyone and anyone I've talked to agrees they would have sided 3 overworked for the events the past weekend, if they found the card.  Like I kinda hope that's your reason for not playing it.  

The rest of your side seems to be like maindeck cards, so yeah work on those.  Black horn's a legit side card no doubt about it for hieratic/geargia, it's a question of, is it the best thing you can side for hieratic? 

Idk why you'd side rivalry tho.  Like why was everyone, is it just for mermails/rogue or something?  Because like you shouldn't need to strictly side a card that is only good vs mermail, that deck is actually just awful, plus you get a lot of side overlap on it with maxx/mind crush/soul drain if you play those.  

1.) I sided 3 mistake at the indy 1k and there was like, 1 prophecy in attendance at that event. It seemed that all of the good players jumped off the proph boat and that 3 mistake wouldnt be needed. I don't know the actually number but I only saw 2-3 prophecies at Nasheville.

2.) I should preface the rest of this with the fact that I built my deck expecting a lot of geargia and hieratics. I hadn't seen anyone else playing 3/4 fire fists prior to this event anywhere but on dn so maining multiple copies of veiler didnt seem like it was that needed. Post LVAL, I can agree with you that veiler should at the very minmum be played at 2 in the main. I can see myself playing 3 at Atlanta. 

Black horn was an easy side out against fists, but is the STONES against geargia and is one of the few traps that answers hieratics well while playing around wing beat. I expected to end up in the top cut of this tournament, and all of the hoban hype led me to believe that I would be surrounded by hieratics, which led to the maindeck horns, and the 5 fossil dynas in my side deck. Now that I think it is clear to everyone else that fire fists are the best deck of the format, I can assure you that my horns will remain in the side deck. 

Dust tornado is actually good against like, everything this format so I completely disagree with you there. You need it for hieratics to clear out skill drains, seals, and reckless. its good against geargias. Its great against fire fists. its great against harpies (I guess this is a relevant deck now), and its great against prophecies. Its bad against... mermails? Which reminds me, i didnt expect to see many mermails at this event (I think theyre really bad), which is why I was further comfortable with maining horns. Just in case, I decided at the last minute to side rivalries for them, evilswarms, madolches, and constellars. 

I agree that mirror force isnt the best trap right now, which is why I only ran 1 copy. I would much rather prefer to play disrupting trap, but at the same time I a huge fan of one of's and having options. In the end, I can agree that playing force was probably a mistake.

The idea to side overworked just never really occured to me to be completely honest. I guess I'm not in the 'in-crowd' so I missed that memo. i could see myself putting this in my side deck for future events. 

Duality is just literally the nuts in this deck. So many times you draw awkward hands and 9/10 times duality fixes those hands. In the 5% chance  (aprox math) that I do open the combo with duality, it doesnt matter that I cant play duality because I opened the combo so I win. 

I think I answered everything and I appreciate the input

• Upvote 8

+Urthor    10206

I think you're not quite getting how important the overall point of "I'm going second vs Fire Fist and they open the combo, how do I just not lose" is, but that's fine I'm sure one of us will be proven right and one will be wrong, and you'll keep grinding at the YGO and play out all those thoughts.  MST is a great card vs Fists, yes, but DT is slow, there are other things you want to maindeck, and post side you have other cards you want to bring in.  Forbidden lance and Gyokou also just do that job of interacting with backrow, even tho they can't block tenki, there's immense competition for those kind of slots, and you don't want to be weighed down by those kinds of cards.

"I'm going second vs Fire Fist and they open the combo, how do I just not lose," is just going to be the byword to live by.  I just feel planning to win the hardest games, not the easiest games, is better.  I don't mind duality, I just mind it as a 3 of, plus rekindling, when I'm hesitant about using it as a 1-2 of w/o rekindling.  

• Upvote 1

DoubtFull    240

I think you're not quite getting how important the overall point of "I'm going second vs Fire Fist and they open the combo, how do I just not lose" is, but that's fine I'm sure one of us will be proven right and one will be wrong, and you'll keep grinding at the YGO and play out all those thoughts.  MST is a great card vs Fists, yes, but DT is slow, there are other things you want to maindeck, and post side you have other cards you want to bring in.  Forbidden lance and Gyokou also just do that job of interacting with backrow, even tho they can't block tenki, there's immense competition for those kind of slots, and you don't want to be weighed down by those kinds of cards.

"I'm going second vs Fire Fist and they open the combo, how do I just not lose," is just going to be the byword to live by.  I just feel planning to win the hardest games, not the easiest games, is better.  I don't mind duality, I just mind it as a 3 of, plus rekindling, when I'm hesitant about using it as a 1-2 of w/o rekindling.  

I think that all things considered dust has more utility in across the board match ups than lance and playing all 3 gyo's has its inherent problems. There was a time or two when I would have liked the 3rd gyo but I genuinely dont think that it is necessary. You are correct that I didnt give the 3/4 mirror much thought, and I dont necessarily think that I was wrong in doing this -for this tournament- because there were not that many 3/4's in the tournament. Moving forward, its easy to predict a large increase in the number of 3/4 players (or fire fist in general) so preparing for that will make the difference atlanta I'm sure. 

Playing triple duality is my way of "planning to win the hard games". It would be cool if I could just always open up leopard or tenki, but in reality sometimes you just open up double rekindling dragon and traps. My best topdeck in these kind of situations is tenki or leopard, so playing a card that lets me pick a card out of my next 3 topdecks is just the absolute nuts and isnt comparable to a card like upstart. Yes, everyonce in a blue moon duality can hurt me, but the reward is sooooo much greater than the risk its not even a question to me that this card should at least be a 2 of staple in every 3/4 decklist. 

• Upvote 1

Jran    45

congrats bro! the 3 pot of duality seemed really interested at first but it seemed to have worked out for you fine.

DoubtFull    240

congrats bro! the 3 pot of duality seemed really interested at first but it seemed to have worked out for you fine.

It's the best!

team tempo rEPRESENT

not sayin we have had at least one top at every major event that we have attended since august format but...

Congrats on the top, hopefully will see u guys at next arg event

Thanks man! Can't wait for it!

i read ur report while eating at bk, gjob

More of a wendys guy myself but thanks all the same!