Metal Gear Salad

Super Smash Bros Melee

SSBM.png

Pretty much confirmed for MLG and with a massive showing at APEX'14, melee seems to be taking off again. For guys like me who only got into it after the smash documentary, it appears smash is entering it's second golden age which is rare for any game once popularity falls. For anyone interested, I'll be maintaining this thread and updating it with current live streams. Whether you play or not, it's a fantastic spectator e-sport anyway. I watched it way before I actually decided to pick it up lol.

Upcoming Tournaments

Streams

Resources

• Upvote 15

+Gojira    1706

Project M ftw.

I main Marth with Charizard and link backup. I guess I'm an adequate player, no where near "good" yet. Going to a tournament tomorrow with people from my uni.

Forlum    9162

dude solhath vs oro project m

sonic v zero suit

the speed of these two was crazyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Forlum    9162

NOOO

an accidental gimp on denti's tether knocked him out

now its hbox v. mew2king, and mew2 has been wiping the floor hbox all night

• Upvote 1

Candela    546

I was really surprised that m2k gave up that stock in GF...

try melee then

also, for the first time ever nintendo are actually backing melee at evo 2014 and MLG

"The fact that Super Smash Bros. Melee is being used to help determine champion status for competitive gamers so many years after it was released is a testament to the strong fan passion for both this individual game and the Super Smash Bros. franchise overall," a representative for Nintendo told Polygon. "Nintendo is happy to work with both Evo and Major League Gaming to help make their tournaments come to life using the game, and we hope it helps make their events enjoyable for video game fans everywhere. Nintendo will be releasing a new Super Smash Bros. game for both Wii U and Nintendo 3DS this year."

• Upvote 1

Naythin    4650

Are there good online resources for learning technical skills? I've been trying to pick melee up for awhile but outside of simple stuff like wave dashes haven't had a good place to learn

Go to a tournament.

I've only attended one but my tech skill has gone through the roof since meeting other players.

+Gojira    1706
Wow what a team For publicity, you can't do much better. Also I remember watching that cap falcon side b in your sig on stream, that was sick.

It's a huge step for Melee, along with MLG, Evo and some sort of half arsed but better than nothing Nintendo support. What a great time to be getting into the scene tbh. If you're thinking about it, just do it already. Game is so damn technical and so rewarding once you finally beat that first tech skill hurdle.

Some are calling 2014 'The Diamond Age' of Melee. I am definitely in agreement!

Naythin    4650

What are some good twitch streams to watch melee?

Also, Paul, how often/when do you usually stream? I started following you the other day so I could watch your streams

What are some good twitch streams to watch melee?

Also, Paul, how often/when do you usually stream? I started following you the other day so I could watch your streams

every other week i get together with a friend of mine. He's best in our region and a solid t10 in the country. He batters me most games lol!

other than that i don't bother streaming solo movement practice as its boring but may start doing a few retro consoles now and then.

Candela    546

Are there good online resources for learning technical skills? I've been trying to pick melee up for awhile but outside of simple stuff like wave dashes haven't had a good place to learn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n4s5yB7ZkE

those are the bare basics that you should try to master...some stuff like L-Canceling, SHFFL, and DI are more important than others

tournaments are good to measure your ability in relation to others, but it's not a good way to learn tech skill 

also just as a heads up, it's handy to learn how to wavedash using the trigger that you don't shield with