Kahu

Aldnoah.Zero

ozy    724

Not the hugest fan of A-1 but they're very far from being a bad studio, so I guess we'll see how it goes.

I also hear/see that it's going to be hyped up in Animate stores which leads one to believe it will lean towards being a show marketed more towards fujoshi and stuff, which I'm also hesitant about.

Add that to my "meh" attitude towards mecha in general.

However, it is the Urobutcher so at the very least it'll be worth checking out, even if Gargantia was really underwhelming.

ozy    724

That first episode tho.

Strong OST, strong production values (even the CG mechas looked okay), strong voice acting, strong ED (<3 kalafina).

We'll see if it can keep it up, because despite the fairly generic opening sequence it was a really good episode imo. I didn't think I'd enjoy it that much.

»infinite    2317

First episode was decent; world building and all that. Although the male main characters both seemed emotionless. I hope that's not a trend.

HououinKyouma    832

First episode was decent; world building and all that. Although the male main characters both seemed emotionless. I hope that's not a trend.

Main character might actually be an aspie.

»infinite    2317

Ok so overall I liked the second episode episode. Lots of entertainment and I felt the cinematic direction was top notch. They really brought it home how under powered the earth forces are. I like the summer blockbuster feel to the episode which is not a common thing you get in animes.

My problem with the episode though is the writing. It's so heavy handed. Like why are the martian cats not simply military leaders in opposing factions? Why they gotta be Saturday morning evil doers? The characters were also over explaining shit. Like we know you guys are ass compared to the martians you don't need you to remind us verbally. 

Candela    546

Hiroyuki just fucking goes in. This clip from the first episode gives me chills.

[spoiler][media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xoqly3cifCs[/media][/spoiler]

Matticus    2253

Show is pretty good, nothing godlike but I'm expecting it to pick up.

The OP gave me chills though, Kalafina nailing at usual.

Drewsifer    49

Interested in how they're going to make the characters up to scale with the martian mechas. I don't really like the whole taking down an obviously stronger/OP force similar to AoT, so i'm hoping they introduce some new elements. 

Telvin123    387
My goodness. Episode 3 is a clear sign that this anime is definitely going somewhere. If I had any doubts beforehand, they're definitely gone now.

I'm also really glad that it doesn't seem to draw too strong of a parallel to AoT, as in that it appears that the main characters will win through skill and intellect, instead of through some convientent plot device

»PSK    4454

Slaine is love. Slaine is life 

»infinite    2317

Liked how episode 3 played out like a heist film. Enjoying this anime so far. 

ozy    724

We'll really see how it goes from here forward though. Urobuchi's involvement is basically over from what I understand. He was only ever doing the first 3 eps. So we'll see if it maintains it's good status from 4 on.

Tsunayoshi    104

We'll really see how it goes from here forward though. Urobuchi's involvement is basically over from what I understand. He was only ever doing the first 3 eps. So we'll see if it maintains it's good status from 4 on.

Sadly this really could go the same route Gundam AGE did. Hope it really doesnt though.

»infinite    2317

Sadly this really could go the same route Gundam AGE did. Hope it really doesnt though.

Gundam Age was fucked from the first episode. 

Tsunayoshi    104

Gundam Age was fucked from the first episode. 

Well yeah. Which is why I really hope this series doesnt follow that lead 

Drewsifer    49

This is my first mecha anime I've really watched, do they generally all have the same plot or something? Just wondering.

Candela    546

This is my first mecha anime I've really watched, do they generally all have the same plot or something? Just wondering.

many of them are very very similar since if you're dealing with mechas, realistically the only antagonists can be aliens or other mechas - this leads to a lot of plots that center around mecha warfare, hence you get the typical commander, royalty, average joe characters, etc

and if you're dealing with mecha technology, most of the time space is involved; if you're dealing with space then you're probably dealing with interplanetary warfare

so yeah mecha animes can be very very similar

• Upvote 1

Kahu    2419
Mecha anime questions to ask:

1. Fantasy or Science?
2. Alien/Monster things or Humanoids?
3. Super Robo epics or Real Robo army stories?
4. Straightforward conflict with the occasional bullshit, or social/political/philosophical undertones?
5. HAMBRIGHT or GRIMDARK?
6. Crazy Conspiracies that turn out to be true, or a straightforward struggle?
7. More crazy inhuman sociopaths and near naked characters written by closet fujoshi and old perverted men with psychological issues, or less?

Occasionally things mix it up, but a mix of these is the general formula.

Drewsifer    49

"old perverted men with psychological issues" reminds me of Eve of Evangelion aha :)

• Upvote 1