Kahu

Aldnoah.Zero

»infinite    2317

This is my first mecha anime I've really watched, do they generally all have the same plot or something? Just wondering.

Mech animes are usually broken down into two categories. Super Robot and Realistic robot anime

Super Robot animes basically are like sentai hero shit mechs. 

Real robo animes are usually about military shit, he antagonists are human, and the mech designs are more grounded.

• Upvote 1

»infinite    2317
Episode 5 pretty much stinks and ruling an otherwise great start for the series. This whole episode was pretty much phoned in.

Inaho is more or less Batman with prep time. while I enjoy him strategically ripping apart his adversaries it really makes them look like idiots in over powered suits. The drama and tension from the previous fights were pretty much non existent in this one. It was pretty anticlimactic.

The Martians and whatever is going on there seems written poorly

Episode 5 pretty much stinks and ruling an otherwise great start for the series. This whole episode was pretty much phoned in.
Inaho is more or less Batman with prep time. while I enjoy him strategically ripping apart his adversaries it really makes them look like idiots in over powered suits. The drama and tension from the previous fights were pretty much non existent in this one. It was pretty anticlimactic.
The Martians and whatever is going on there seems written poorly

Agree with everything still holding out hope tho

To be fair though, it was basically a given that the only reason Martians > Terrans was because of over powered suits/tech. 

I feel like the war potential was wasted. They could have pulled a Code Geass with the emperor sending the princess there to die as an excuse to create a war (creating a whole different dynamic). Instead its a usurping faction just manipulating the ranks. I feel like this point could still be salvaged with a coup on the emperor and one of the orbital knights usurping the throne of mars, but the former creates better character development. 

»victor    6400
I think they are going for a Yagami Light sort of effect, like a super calculating guy (who uses science), but it kind of comes across as Jesus Yamato.

He doesn't have a overpowered mech yet, but I bet you the Princess's "Aldnoah" power will come into play, when things are at their gravest.

I wonder if Slain is going to be the Athrun to the protagonist Kira, both protecting the Princess Lacus Clyne.

This is standard mecha plot points, if not cliche ones.

Candela    546

Is this going to be 12 episodes? The pacing seems exceptionally slow if that's the case.

»victor    6400

Is this going to be 12 episodes? The pacing seems exceptionally slow if that's the case.

24 split up with seasonal gap in between.

Drewsifer    49

I find it kinda weird that we know more about Slain than the martian princess or the main character.

Not bashing the anime or anything, I've just noticed that none of the characters seem very likable/memorable.

»infinite    2317

I find it kinda weird that we know more about Slain than the martian princess or the main character.

Not bashing the anime or anything, I've just noticed that none of the characters seem very likable/memorable.

that's fair. Everyone outside of Inaho also seem useless to varying degrees, especially the earth adults. 

Drewsifer    49

Yeah, but Inaho is so emotionless it's kinda distasteful to really protray him as the main character. Just my opinion, anyways. However the original creator of the series is known for his dark style so I'm probably just running my mouth too soon.

Yeah, but Inaho is so emotionless it's kinda distasteful to really protray him as the main character. Just my opinion, anyways. However the original creator of the series is known for his dark style so I'm probably just running my mouth too soon.

Did not know this, maybe theres hope!

»victor    6400

This series is becoming more and more like Gundam 00, with Aldnoah Drives being the equivalent of GN Drives.

Once the Princess activates an Aldnoah Drive, either Slain or Inaho will pilot a new mecha or Kataphrakt or whatever they are called.

Maybe they will awaken a dormant or ancient mecha of some kind.

Freedom and Justice 2.0.

Guru    736

So finally got around to watching all the eps for this out currently (ep6)...

It's not that good.  Sadly.  I'll probably keep watching but ya I'm a little disappointed.

»victor    6400

So finally got around to watching all the eps for this out currently (ep6)...

It's not that good.  Sadly.  I'll probably keep watching but ya I'm a little disappointed.

Production values and music are very good, but the story for now seems so predictable.

Maybe they will awaken a dormant or ancient mecha of some kind.

Lol, how did I know there would be a Martian mecha/battleship on that island?

Guru    736

Shit the last 2 eps have been pretty decent gotta say.

Telvin123    387

This episode was pretty good.

[Spoiler]It was really nice knowing that despite the guy's total cruelty, he really did pledge complete fealty to the princess.

I gotta say though, I was a little sad that he died so suddenly though; I was honestly expecting to see the rest of the episodes build up on a possible redemption route for him, where he would ultimately get back in our good graces, instead of having us continue to think he's a dick.[/spoiler]

• Upvote 1

Guru    736

Might wanna spoiler tag that for people who haven't seen it yet.

»PSK    4447

[spoiler]

I'm confused. Is Rayet a martian? The initial gang including her dad seem like Martians and her reaction to Yuki saying "I know you're lying. Martian" definitely makes it seem like she's martian but then what up will all the martian hate? It's not even like Saazbaum style hatred of the royal family either. She just hates martians. Enslaved terran maybe? 

Did not see that death coming though. I was honestly expecting Slaine to be killed by Seylum. 

Saazbaum's logic is confusing too. He disagrees with the motives of the royal family to instigate war in order to keep Vers as a unit with a common enemy, but instigates the war again himself later with the same goal? He's essentially helping the Vers Royalty in accomplishing their goals and maintaining power, just at the cost of one royal. Slaine even offered Saazbaum the opportunity to end the war when he spoke the the king, so the war against earth must have something to do with Saazbaum's plan for revenge.

Also Rayet is soooo fuuuucked like damn girl.

I'm pretty sure Inaho is going to be revealed as an anti-hero too or just plain villain when his intentions become clear. 

[/spoiler]

[spoiler]

I'm confused. Is Rayet a martian? The initial gang including her dad seem like Martians and her reaction to Yuki saying "I know you're lying. Martian" definitely makes it seem like she's martian but then what up will all the martian hate? It's not even like Trillram style hatred of the royal family either. She just hates martians. Enslaved terran maybe? 

Did not see that death coming though. I was honestly expecting Slaine to be killed by Seylum. 

Trillram's logic is confusing too. He disagrees with the motives of the royal family to instigate war in order to keep Vers as a unit with a common enemy, but instigates the war again himself later with the same goal? He's essentially helping the Vers Royalty in accomplishing their goals and maintaining power, just at the cost of one royal. Slaine even offered Trillram the opportunity to end the war when he spoke the the king, so the war against earth must have something to do with Trillram's plan for revenge.

I'm pretty sure Inaho is going to be revealed as an anti-hero too or just plain villain when his intentions become clear. 

[/spoiler]

[spoiler]

If this death sticks, I will be very surprised just given the OP scenes. However, if it does stick, than my god this is going to get good (altho I really don't want my poor Seylum-sama to die. Too much kawaiiiiii).

I feel like you're looking too much into this. Whether she is martian or terran, she likely has spent her entire life on earth. Her hatred stems from martians killing her family. She is in all liklihood martian (knows it), but hates martian due to the fact they killed her family. In this case, she wouldn't have any attachment to Vers.

Trillam knows the intricacies of the political balance. Killing Asseylum (god please no she makes this so much better, but her death could lead to an epic plot turn. Ugh) is a way to hurt and limit and weaken the royal family. However, he cannot completely destroy the royal family because without them they lose the advantages of the Aldnoah technology, which are still a necessity for life on Mars and to maintain power over Earth. 

Trillam likely wants to dominate the Earth to take advantage of its vast resources, and once in position of power, cripple mars by destroying the bloodline and the Aldnoah. That'd be my guess.

Inaho's reaction to all this next episode is going to be super interesting. We caught a glimpse of something when he shot down Slaine's fighter. He clearly has some connect or desire for the princess. 

[/spoiler]

Telvin123    387

[spoiler]

I'm confused. Is Rayet a martian? The initial gang including her dad seem like Martians and her reaction to Yuki saying "I know you're lying. Martian" definitely makes it seem like she's martian but then what up will all the martian hate? It's not even like Trillram style hatred of the royal family either. She just hates martians. Enslaved terran maybe? 

Trillram's logic is confusing too. He disagrees with the motives of the royal family to instigate war in order to keep Vers as a unit with a common enemy, but instigates the war again himself later with the same goal? He's essentially helping the Vers Royalty in accomplishing their goals and maintaining power, just at the cost of one royal. Slaine even offered Trillram the opportunity to end the war when he spoke the the king, so the war against earth must have something to do with Trillram's plan for revenge.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Yes, she is a Martian. I don't know the specifics, but I do know that due to the events of the previous war, they were stranded on earth as a result. Don't you remember her from one of the previous episodes? She was with her father and the group of conspirators, who plotted to assassinate the princess. And as we all know, once that job was done, Trillam went ahead and killed them. (By the way, the Trillam you're thinking of is Saazbaum. Trillam already died, at the hands of Slaine.) But yea, only Rayet managed to survive, so Trillam attempted to hunt her down and kill her as well, until she ended up meeting the Inaho and co. Now she obviously doesn't give a fuck if she is a Martian or not. Martians are what got her father killed, so she has a vengeance against them all.

And yea, that ending.... Damn. [/spoiler]

»PSK    4447

Oops my bad with the names. 

[spoiler]

And yeah obviously I remember her but like she either killed decoy seylum because she hates the royal family or because she hates humans and wanted the war to happen. If the first, you'd expect her typical anime ideology to be a saviour of the weak martian people, or if the latter, not to be like "screw my entire life of propaganda for hating earth, now I want to fight with the terrans to kill ALL martians, and not just those traitors that killed my father". Like it's not a political hatred like Saazbaum's, or one that reflects her dad's death....it's just like a general hatred for all martians which makes me think she's like either a captured terran or a lowly martian that hated the royal family, placed her trust in Saazbaum, and when betrayed by even him, despised all martians. Need to rewatch the earlier episodes to see which is more likely. 

The nice thing about the show is how complicated the characters are though. Like on the surface Inaho looks like cuddles filled protagonist, Saazbaum seems like typical bad guy just cuz he can be, and Slaine the white knight but now it's becoming clear that Inaho is self-absorbed, manipulative, and ruthless, Saazbaum is essentially the product of Vers' corruption and the avenger of its manipulated, oppressed population, and Slaine now has to change from having his sole interest lie in protection of Seylum to accepting her death and choosing a side between the royal family, Saazbaum, protection of earth, and Inaho. 

Also fuck the idea of Seylum not being dead. Her death makes this show so much better.

[/spoiler]

• Upvote 1

Telvin123    387

[spoiler]I highly doubt they're winning this war, much less coming to a favorable conclusion of any kind, if she's already dead.[/spoiler]

• Upvote 1

~ness00~    1013

I just want to say I love the ED.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHotKYwCPVw

I like the show but I hate Inaho as a character.