α

Majesty's Fiend

α    340

300px-MajestysFiend-PRIO-JP-R.png

LIGHT

Fiend/Effect
Level 6
ATK/DEF 2400/1000
Cannot be Special Summoned. Neither player can activate monster effects.

Angel O7 on crack. A "you don't get to play yugioh" card. I'm surprised there hasn't been a discussion yet. It seems amazing against Mermail. Thoughts?
  • Upvote 20

Fatty 2x4    76
Return of the monarchs can search it in frog decks.

Any deck that can summon this can also use jinzo and vanity fiend obviously, giving a wide range of side deck answers against almost any deck
  • Upvote 2

+Satchmo    3220
Luckilly, tribute summons aren't very meta relevant anymore. Because this card is more dangerous than Vanity's fiend in a lot of ways.
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

lordTyranus    713
[quote name="「Satchmo」" post="3693407" timestamp="1392752811"]Luckilly, tribute summons aren't very meta relevant anymore. Because this card is more dangerous than Vanity's fiend in a lot of ways.[/quote]um tributes summons Aren't relevant? What are hieratics?
  • Downvote 23

MrMcThrasher    1274

Luckilly, tribute summons aren't very meta relevant anymore. Because this card is more dangerous than Vanity's fiend in a lot of ways.

um tributes summons Aren't relevant? What are hieratics?

Those aren't tribute summons.  They're tributes for special summons.  SLIGHTLY different there.

• Upvote 3

lordTyranus    713

um tributes summons Aren't relevant? What are hieratics?

Those aren't tribute summons.  They're tributes for special summons.  SLIGHTLY different there.

well fair enough, I just mean that tributing for a summon is still thing, and some one posted above, this card in frog narchs? That sounds pretty nasty

enyad    64

It's funny cause this card is more vain than the actual Vanity's Fiend with all its gold and sparkles and whatnot

• Upvote 5

Plsnobully    776

So what happens if you get this, Jinzo, Vanity's Fiend, Silent Swordsman LVL 7 on the field?

Does that mean you win the game?

In all seriousness though, I'm surprised that this card is being really overlooked. An easier to summon and searchable version of Angel O7 is really great, I mean with 2400 it can get run over by a lot of cards; but even-so this can put a lot of hurt on certain decks. Water would have to use a trap or spell to get over it or Sphere into Megalo and crash with it.

α    340
[quote name="dexer008" post="3693546" timestamp="1392763869"]ghostrick monarchs anyone?[/quote] this seems to be the safest bet in town, frog monarchs aren't really able to play return and ghostrick monarch can play return which can search this (and dark armed). it can arguably even trump vanity's fiend at times since they wont be able to use any mermail effects and such. it does fall prey to traps though as does vanitys fiend. oh well. imagine this card in march dragon format lol

»Relianah    4515

ghostrick monarchs anyone?

this seems to be the safest bet in town, frog monarchs aren't really able to play return and ghostrick monarch can play return which can search this (and dark armed). it can arguably even trump vanity's fiend at times since they wont be able to use any mermail effects and such. it does fall prey to traps though as does vanitys fiend. oh well. imagine this card in march dragon format lol
would have been just as shitty as angel 07 :<

EnigmaMemory    83

So what happens if you get this, Jinzo, Vanity's Fiend, Silent Swordsman LVL 7 on the field?

In all seriousness though, I'm surprised that this card is being really overlooked. An easier to summon and searchable version of Angel O7 is really great, I mean with 2400 it can get run over by a lot of cards; but even-so this can put a lot of hurt on certain decks. Water would have to use a trap or spell to get over it or Sphere into Megalo and crash with it.

Pls, make this happen. MAKE IT HAPPEN. xD

α    340
well you only need 1 tribute. vanity's fiend saw some play while kristya or even better, vanity's ruler, didn't see any

»Relianah    4515

well you only need 1 tribute. vanity's fiend saw some play while kristya or even better, vanity's ruler, didn't see any

no, it means you get lava golem'd.
v fiend saw play at nats/testing? Funny you mention krystia didn't considering Jeremy and I were likely maining a set if Toronto was March 13 format because it just went on top of deck and people were maining msts for emptiness. Tributing 1 instead of 2 literally was not a problem at all

α    340

I'm pretty sure Vanity's Fiend saw more play than Kristya (despite both not seeing much play)

If tributing 1 vs 2 was not a problem at all, everyone who played Vanity's Fiend would have played Vanity's Ruler instead

OT: chaos dragons have a new toy

»victor    6400

Nobody played vanitys fiend is my point

There was a time everybody was playing Vanity's Fiend. If I recall correctly. I think it was Scott Page who topped ARG Dallas with it, and he exploited the fact that people were playing Emptiness and few real traps (also as you said, sided MST). I also remember harig saying that he really liked Vanity's Fiend at YCS London. 

It didn't come up much in competitive play, but people used to side it in Dragunity variants with Electric Virus.

The idea was that you could play Brandistock over Corsesca (WIND LV 1 Tuner), and get the benefit of Dux being a 1900 ATK double attacker to accompany Vanity's Fiend. That was a niche synergy there that a lot of people didn't realize. 

------------

The reason people played Vanity's Fiend was that you could wall off Dyna with Guard or Debris, but you couldn't with Fiend. Although, admittedly, Fossil Dyna won out, because it could be Redoxed...

------------------------

On point though, I feel that this card works best in a deck with:

300px-LightandDarknessDragon-AP02-EN-C-U300px-PhotonSanctuary-BP02-EN-C-1E.png300px-MausoleumoftheEmperor-BP02-EN-C-1E

I remember making a deck like this before, although I had to play subpar Tributes like Kaiser Glider. Zaborg was a possibility, but I needed to Tribute Summon it, didn't work with Mausoleum.

You basically play cards to abuse Photon Sanctuary.

Like Cyber Valley + Token + Machine Dupe - one of the key plays was Tour Guide into Leviair to reuse Cyber Valley to draw 2 cards.

One of the better cards was Kuraz the Light Monarch, being able to pop Tokens to draw.

Card Trooper to Dupe into Leviair + Valley, or simply to set up COTH and Kuraz.

----------------------

It was a really fun deck with potential, but was missing power plays outside of Photon Sanctuary + LaDD.

Now with Majestic Fiend, you can win outright.

The logic is that you burn their resources with LaDD, and then drop Majestic.

• Upvote 3

guylaroche5    558

lol what is everyone talking about, vanity's fiend was used a lot in very recent side decks. this card is very, VERY good and will be used in a lot of side decks.

• Upvote 2

~NeoArkadia~    2794
Both this and Vanity strike me as being very nasty to the ZEXAL era's more Monster Effect heavy format.

Perhaps they're planning to use it along with other stuff to encourage a return towards more backrow dependency (basically less Bear/Bujin/What Have You Tricks) and Pendulum Spells and Field Spells?

I was also discussing this earlier with guys from the Org, kind of a narrow view point, but it and Vanity's Fiend completely dick-roll Artifacts, and thus probably most similarly Monster Effect/Special Summon Dependent decks.

[/Captain Obvious]
  • Upvote 1

Groot    526

If this card isn't Ulti (to match my Vanity's) when the set drops TCG-wise, I'm going to be one unhappy dude.

Sangi    5

If this card isn't Ulti (to match my Vanity's) when the set drops TCG-wise, I'm going to be one unhappy dude.

This guy would look very nice as a secret.
  • Upvote 2

~Deadborder~    5156

It's funny cause this card is more vain than the actual Vanity's Fiend with all its gold and sparkles and whatnot

now it's time for a fun yugimans name history lesson! (not trying to call you out here, just something I wanted to mention)

The Japanese name for Vanity's Fiend was 虚無魔人(ヴァニティー・デビル). Basically you read the kanji for the meaning, but read the small text above it for its name. In this case, the name is read as "Vanity Devil", hence the name "Vanity's Fiend" in English.

But the kanji themselves have the meaning of "nihility demon". In other words, the "vanity" referred to is similar to the concept "vanity of vanities, all things are vanity".

This is also reflected in Vanity's Emptiness: 虚無空間(ヴァニティー・スペース) is read as "Vanity Space" and the kanji read "nihility space".

Incidentally, the kanji for Majesty's Fiend, 威光魔人, mean something like "authority demon". But again, it's read as "Majesty Devil". (so going by previous patterns, we picked the English name "Majesty's Fiend".)

• Upvote 7