Saiko

Force of Will

Saiko    231

(note: not to be confused with the magic: the gathering card)

Lore:

In ancient times, there was a land where Gods and Demons would wage war. A land that was graced by the five Elements, Valhalla. After a long period of time, the fighting never ceased, and would repeat itself time after time. Soon enough, the war itself would involve the people living in Valhalla.

The Gods and Demons would then develop techniques to summon and reincarnate strong, radiant souls, into battlers and soldiers to aid them in their cause.

A whisper was heard... "In exchange for your soul, I shall bestow upon you power unimaginable..." In order to pave a new path to a brighter future, people gathered, and made pacts (Judgement) that would grant them new powers.

Those who fight for their own beliefs, Those who fight for the Gods, Those who fight against the Gods,

Their spirit drives them into Battle, and the Battle, has just begun

Quick Overview:

[spoiler]Gameplay is like Magic: the Gathering but with similar elements of Yu-Gi-Oh and Card Fight: Vanguard

40-60 Card Decks

No side deck from what I know at the moment (nothing in the rule sheet)

20 Card Magic Stone Decks

5 card starting hand

Can Mulligan once 

Victory Conditions: Reduced all 4000 Life Points of your opponent to 0 or when unable to draw you lose.

Magic Stones: Similar to Land in MtG, can tap to create 'Will' which is used to cast spells and resonators there are 5 types; Fire, Water, Wind, Light, Dark. The big difference to MtG is that Magic stones have their own deck! Once per turn you can tap your Ruler to draw a card from your magic stone deck and place it in your magic stone zone. 

Resonators: These are your monsters which you summon to attack/defend. They each have a Will cost which must be paied to summon them, unless stated otherwise.

Ruler: Each player starts with a Ruler Card which acts as an avatar. The Ruler has its own zone and has special abilities which affect the game (eg, all 'certain monster type' gain X attack, Your opponent plays with the top card of their deck revealed). Some have more abilities which you can tap the Ruler to activate.

Judgement Ruler, J-Ruler: If you play your Rulers J-Activate Cost you flip it over and summon it as a J-Ruler to the field (Rulers are double sided cards which is pretty cool). J-Rulers are usually an upgraded version of the Ruler and are the boss cards of the game with high attack and stunning abilities. However if you J-Ruler gets destroyed you lose half your life points and it returns back to the ruler zone but loses all its abilities.

Spells: Their are 3 Types of Spells; Instant, Chant and Standby. They, like resonators, have a Will cost to be played. Instants, like in MtG, can be used almost any time in either players turn. Chant can only be used in your Main Phases. Standby are like Trap Cards from Yugioh. You set them by paying 2 Will and can only be used when their activation condition is fulfilled (eg if you control no resonators and you're opponent does).

LIfe Break: At the start after drawing your hand each player puts the top 4 cards of their deck into the Life Break zone face down in a pile. Players can 'Life Break' in either player turn. To 'Life Break' you take the top card look at it and if it has a Break ability activate it. If not send the card to the grave. 

Chase System: Pretty much like Chain links in yugioh and the stack in magic the gathering. When a player does something you can respond to it with a card like an instant or life break etc. Then resolve the chase backwards. [/spoiler]

Japanese Site

http://fow-tcg.com/

English Site

http://fowtcg.com/home

Wikia

http://force-of-will-tcg.wikia.com/wiki/Force_of_Will_TCG_Wiki

Rule sheets from starter decks

[spoiler] rule-01.jpg

rule02.jpg

[/spoiler]

Product

[spoiler]

Archangel%2C_Michael.jpg

ST01-box.png

[/spoiler]

In about a week my local card shop is hosting a release event for Force of Will TCG

Prior to this I haven't heard of it but apparently its big in Japan? Does anybody else have any information about this game or have heard of it?

• Upvote 3

»Satchmo    3224

This game actually looks pretty cool. I think I might look more into this

Saiko    231

Seems cool. Hopefully they have some good Dark monsters.

from what I can tell the first set only has a couple dark and wind compared to fire water and light but they make up for that in the second set

»Satchmo    3224
I normally gravitate toward Black, but this time I'm not to into it to other civilizations. Red/Blue look nice though.
(Art wise)

I didn't want to read 300 card effects, but I noticed Green spells are pretty rediculous.

Saiko    231

green looks to be all about prevention where as water is disruption and fire is damage

the cancel any summon and cancel any spell cards seem op, not to mention they both have life break to draw 1 card

france has already got a player base for this game since they've been importing the ocg cards since the game came out which is kind of cool.

I was reading through one of the tournaments they had and wind decks make 6/8 in the top 8

»Satchmo    3224

So it'll end up like Z/X where Green makes up a staple part of most tiered decks (at least at first)

Miss Click    2475

Didn't realize this had an English Release coming. Might pick up a TD or two (though honestly I'm not all that impressed).

Saiko    231

Set 4 is soon to be released in japan (september 12th), on the japanese site there are some small previews of the cards. http://fow-tcg.com/news/

I'm wondering if anyone can or knows someone who can and would be willing to translate the cards into english to give the european players a heads up before the world championship on the 22nd sep. I dont know how long it takes to translate cards but theres a far few of them so I'm not really expecting anyone to go out of their way to help but anything is appreciated.

+Gojira    1708

So this is magic, yugioh, kaijudo, and vanguard mashed together?

Not necessarily a bad thing, and the art looks amazing.

Miss Click    2475

I've seen this before and I knew the art was good but the pictures in those links are just wow, great vibrancy and depth.

Saiko    231

So this is magic, yugioh, kaijudo, and vanguard mashed together?

Not necessarily a bad thing, and the art looks amazing.

kinda 
its a lot like hearthstone with magic, even getting dual stones like magics dual lands in this set 

its a fun game, its more popular in Asia than in europe and i dont think its been released in america yet? I know there was something at GenCon tho :)

Saiko    231

I think its because of low supply that they are that much online

my locals sell them at £10 which is about $15 I think.

Anyways if there are any UK guys here thinking about playing there is a UK national championship happening in Manchester at the end of august (30th). Winner gets flight+accommodation to japan to compete in the world championship

also a cool resource http://force-of-will.com/site/card-database/card-database.php

So I went to an open day at my local card store to learn to play this and it's actually the nuts. So much fun. I picked up one of the English Structure Decks and then I'm going to start building one of the new decks from the Fairy Tale set. Probably going to go for a Green deck since I pulled a Puss in Boots today and got some of the commons for the deck (like the Musketeers).

Is anyone here still actually playing and could give me some advice as a new player?

zubby    234

Saiko on here is (UK Champ) he'll be able to help you. I would love to play this more but I've never managed to found a store in south UK which supports the game, I came lucky to stumble upon some of the starter decks which I play every so often with friends.

Saiko    231

So I went to an open day at my local card store to learn to play this and it's actually the nuts. So much fun. I picked up one of the English Structure Decks and then I'm going to start building one of the new decks from the Fairy Tale set. Probably going to go for a Green deck since I pulled a Puss in Boots today and got some of the commons for the deck (like the Musketeers).

Is anyone here still actually playing and could give me some advice as a new player?

Good to hear that you enjoyed it.
I think I was the only one who was playing it seeing as its only be out in the UK and Australia and not America which make up a large amount of dgz members.
My advice would be to get as many as your friends playing as possible, its a new-ish game and needs a player base.

For the game itself I'd advise you only buy Crimson Fairy tale set and make decks using that one set (soon to be 2). Simply being there are 2 different formats, Valhalla and Bifrost. Valhalla was for the first 3 sets and plays slightly differently to Bifrost which will be used for new sets and card design.
Its as though the first 3 sets where like playing alpha, the game needed some changes so they re-released it and started a fresh block called Grimm block (similar to magic the gathering, 4 sets to a block) Crimson moon is the first set of Grimm block.

However you can mix the cards but if you do you can make some really imbalanced decks since Valhalla had a lot of broken cards. Most official tournaments will be ran as Grimm block constructed under Bifrost rules but there is valhalla+grimm constructed etc

The following is some information I got while at the world championship in Tokyo
The organisers are planning Grand Prix events around the world (like mtg) where the winner earns a place at the world championship 2015. There will be one in Venice Italy (since Italy have hundreds of players compared to UKs 20-ish). One in America and a couple in Japan/Indonesia.
There will be regional events where you can win flights and free entry in the Grand Prix's also National Championships where the winner goes to Worlds as well.

Playing the game is a lot like playing hearthstone but with 5 colours for mana like magic.

Any more questions just ask, I can invited you/link you too groups on facebook as at the moment there isnt really a good forum for the game.

Saiko    231

Most up to date rules 
https://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dropbox.com%2Fs%2Fligmjksqbdp2uel%2FFoW_CR_4.02_141010_e.docx%3Fdl%3D0&h=kAQGHFA6c

Saiko on here is (UK Champ) he'll be able to help you. I would love to play this more but I've never managed to found a store in south UK which supports the game, I came lucky to stumble upon some of the starter decks which I play every so often with friends.

Lack of product being sent to the UK coupled with a nondelivery and Italians stealing most of the European supplies means we cant send product out to other stores to start the game up.
We were meant to get about 8 cases, we got 2. Only got 8 boxes left in Manchester.

Good to hear that you enjoyed it.
I think I was the only one who was playing it seeing as its only be out in the UK and Australia and not America which make up a large amount of dgz members.
My advice would be to get as many as your friends playing as possible, its a new-ish game and needs a player base.
For the game itself I'd advise you only buy Crimson Fairy tale set and make decks using that one set (soon to be 2). Simply being there are 2 different formats, Valhalla and Bifrost. Valhalla was for the first 3 sets and plays slightly differently to Bifrost which will be used for new sets and card design.
Its as though the first 3 sets where like playing alpha, the game needed some changes so they re-released it and started a fresh block called Grimm block (similar to magic the gathering, 4 sets to a block) Crimson moon is the first set of Grimm block.
However you can mix the cards but if you do you can make some really imbalanced decks since Valhalla had a lot of broken cards. Most official tournaments will be ran as Grimm block constructed under Bifrost rules but there is valhalla+grimm constructed etc

The following is some information I got while at the world championship in Tokyo
The organisers are planning Grand Prix events around the world (like mtg) where the winner earns a place at the world championship 2015. There will be one in Venice Italy (since Italy have hundreds of players compared to UKs 20-ish). One in America and a couple in Japan/Indonesia.
There will be regional events where you can win flights and free entry in the Grand Prix's also National Championships where the winner goes to Worlds as well.

Playing the game is a lot like playing hearthstone but with 5 colours for mana like magic.

Any more questions just ask, I can invited you/link you too groups on facebook as at the moment there isnt really a good forum for the game.

Awesome, thanks for that. A link or invite to those groups would be awesome. I'd love to get more involved. I'm current at locals for FoW at the moment. Small amount of players but they seem fairly close knit so it's nice.

Saiko    231

Awesome, thanks for that. A link or invite to those groups would be awesome. I'd love to get more involved. I'm current at locals for FoW at the moment. Small amount of players but they seem fairly close knit so it's nice.

Fow community, probably the first one set up. Cards get spoiled here, rules, tournament talk, deck lists etc
https://www.facebook.com/groups/ForceOfWillCommunity/

Italian Fow group, loads of things get posted here, questions, rulings, decks etc (make sure you have translate)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/484898544978146/

Everything is going well, got myself a couple of Bifrost decks now (Grimm, Vampire and Musketeers), but still running into issues with Bifrost only being run every 3 weeks at my local store and then having to play something from that format in Neo-Standard/Standard which kinda sucks because I know it's a big part of the game but it's quite expensive given the pull rates in some of the older boxes. Any recommendations?

»Satchmo    3224

looks like this is finally coming to the US

Saiko    231

looks like this is finally coming to the US

aye, you tried the trial decks out yet?

so we have a big event over here soon and it's not even in bi-frost? whyyyyyyyy? what is the point of releasing the new sets if you're just going to make people play with standard life-break format? -_-"