Sign in to follow this  
Laser Cat

Fortran

Laser Cat    5610

Need to start learning and coding in Fortran.  I just downloaded Simply Fortran, but it's only a 30 day trial (afterwards it's 65$ to register...); anyone knwo of a good yet not too complicated compiler + editor/debugger for fortran (that's also ideally free).

I need it to work on windows 7 sp2 and windows 8.1 as well.

+rei+    34655
hilariously my mom knows fortran.

Ill do some digging - im assuming both those oses are x64
  • Upvote 1

+rei+    34655
oh notepad++ has syntax for fortran I BELIEVE in it already

»Ryuuzaki    2545

why are you such a programming god, Ash?

I feel like you're the programming equivalent to Red, and you have been honing syntax since the beginning of your adult life on Mt. Silver.

please respond with ....

+rei+    34655
Nah I can't because I'm not actually a very good programmer. Think of me as a master of metadata - I know a shit ton ABOUT a lot of programming languages; I'm much more 'administrator'-y; I know how systems work and I know their components well. And from that it's very easy to know what you're looking for/

As for how I got good

1: Family got a computer when I was 5 (1993) - needed to figure out DOS to do anything fun like play Doom that my uncle hid in C:\WORK\
2: Find this shit legitimately cool. I spent hours reading The Jargon File because the stories were interesting as shit, the koans were hilarious, and i LOVED KNOWING THAT SHIT. I binged harder on the jargon file than anything else except TVTropes.
3: Grandfather into computers though he hasn't realized how much deeper I went - he worked at Control Data (major computer mainframe company from 60s-90s) for like 30 years so he was always exposed to the tech early. He made the 1993 computer happen. When he was semi retired running a Radio Shack/Computer store (it was in the boonies so it was kind of both and branded as such) when I was ten he basically brought out a box of hardware and was like 'if you build it its yours. Ill help but you gotta do the work' - that was a pretty big fucking motivator.
  • Upvote 4

»Paxman    4776

How good of a career path do you think data analysis is? It's the sort of direction I'm heading. Administrator/Data Analyst types of roles. I'll actually show you the job description of what I'm applying for as my big future career (if I get it, hoping I do).

I know this is off topic but whatever. We IT bros do what we want.

Administer system access including access reviews, and generate audit reports for management verification to ensure appropriate access to project management systems.

Monitor system operation against organisational IT guidelines and service level agreements to ensure the effective utilisation of Unit information technology systems and liaise with vendor(s) re requirements and system support.

Contribute to the accuracy of data by continuously monitoring data integrity and resolving discrepancies quickly.

Contribute to the successful integration of project management systems with other enterprise systems such as SAP by providing advice regarding the systems aspects of proposed business process improvements.

Contribute to the effectiveness of regulatory practice and related technology and systems by identifying and proposing improvements to work practices in consultation with key internal and external stakeholders.

Support the successful implementation of new processes and applications for different roles by preparing system administration and user guidelines.

Contribute to the development of staff in the Branch by providing technical advice, training and coaching on the project management systems.

Manage and/or participate in major and minor system upgrades.

Development of new reports or enhancements to existing reports.

It's mostly very high level descriptions. But this may be my life. Tell me if it sounds good, since you have more workplace experience than I in IT.

• Upvote 1

+rei+    34655
that is all the work i literally had my eyes glaze over for in college

Looks more or less the equivilent of a systems analyst in terms of responsibilities - you're prob better at googling comparative payband in AU than I am

»Paxman    4776

The official role title is Toolset Administrator (oooooooo). Yeah I'll google the payband, though this is a government systems analyst type role and is paying seemingly extremely well.

»Paxman    4776

Just googled it. Average salary is $75k

This one pays $105k

• Upvote 1

ZeroSleep    79

Curious, what type of project are you working on that would require Fortran?

Laser Cat    5610

Monte carlo based simulation for determining electric pulses needed to increase n and l states for rydberg atoms.

• Upvote 1