• Announcements

• rei

Battle of the Anime Characters   02/10/17

THE BATTLE OF THE ANIME CHARACTERS HAS BEGUN   Find it here http://duelistgroundz.com/index.php?/forum/615-battle-of-the-anime-x/
Jazz

Format Library (a website)

17 posts in this topic

http://formatlibrary.weebly.com/

I got the idea for this from the sticky in this forum. The goal of this website is to be a resource for players interested in playing old formats and making old decks. Ideally this information should be integrated into dn, but for now here is a simple text based website. Most information is compiled from the yugioh wikia, with a few exceptions (i.e. when they are wrong).

I plan to add more stuff in the future, such as card pools and some sort of search mechanism. Oh and future dates, but it's hard for me to get past 2007 since that's when I quit.

Please send me comments and help check for errors if you notice any.

Enjoy.

This is awesome. If you need any help with the formats you're missing, PM me! 

Wix.com is better in general. You can do some awesome stuff with Wix. Aren't those lists on other sources already? Wikia/Shriek?

You have to do a lot of unnecessary digging and piecing together of different types of information to figure out an old format in terms of the ban lists and cards available and the dates.

The point is to make that easier.

The wikia is also full of errors and gaps and it is very poorly organized.

Also, apparently wix has a really low limit on HTML characters, and my code is way longer than that. If you know a way to get around that I'd take another look at it.

IDK if you're still working on it, but I'm trying to provide decklists and summaries for the blank formats. So far, I've done these 2:

Yata Warrior - July 2003

[spoiler]

VxobjGA.png

17 Monsters:
1 Cyber Jar
1 Exiled Force
3 Goblin Attack Force
1 Hayabusa Knight
1 Injection Fairy Lily
1 Jinzo
1 Kycoo the Ghost Destroyer

2 Magician of Faith
2 Marauding Captain
1 Sangan
1 Throwstone Unit
1 Witch of the Black Forest

1 Yata-Garasu

18 Spells:
1 Change of Heart

1 Confiscation

1 Dark Hole

1 Delinquent Duo

1 Graceful Charity

1 Harpie’s Feather Duster

1 Mage Power

1 Monster Reborn

2 Mystical Space Typhoon

1 Pot of Greed

1 Premature Burial
1 Monster Reborn
1 Raigeki
2 Reinforcement of the Army

1 Snatch Steal

1 The Forceful Sentry

1 United We Stand

5 Traps:
1 Call of the Haunted

1 Imperial Order

1 Mirror Force

1 Ring of Destruction
1 Torrential Tribute

Side:
Gemini Elf

Airknight Parshath

Bazoo the Soul Eater

Dark Ruler Ha Des

Sinister Serpent

Spear Dragon

Graceful Charity

Nobleman of Crossout

Swords of Revealing Lights

Ceasefire

Magic Cylinder

Magic Jammer

Solemn Judgment

Waboku

This deck was made possible following the release of the Legacy of Darkness booster pack. The pack gave warriors support in the form of REINFORCEMENT OF THE ARMY, EXILED FORCE, MARAUDING CAPTAIN, THROWSTONE UNIT, THE WARRIOR RETURNING ALIVE and more. It also had notable cards such as AIRKNIGHT PARSHATH, INJECTION FAIRY LILY, DARK RULER HA DES, LAST TURN & FIBER JAR. It also introduced a new concept: spirit monster, including the ever infamous YATA-GARASU.

We should also note that the deck conforms to the July 2003 banlist made to accommodate the new set’s release. The changes were as follow: EXILED FORCE, FIBER JAR, INJECTION FAIRY LILY, TWIN-HEADED BEHEMOTH & YATA-GARASU all got limited whereas CREATURE SWAP, MARAUDING CAPTAIN, LAST TURN & REINFORCEMENT OF THE ARMY got semi-limited. While all these changes were understandable, TWIN-HEADED BEHEMOTH was simply limited for being the first ever monster with a  “once per duel” effect and limiting it was the only option, at the time, to make sure the effect was already used (It was “once per duel” for each copy, which is different from later monsters such as GLOW-UP BULB).

The deck is centered around the warrior type monsters. ROTA allowed us to search any warrior we wanted. EXILED FORCE served as an answer to any monster on the field, regardless of position, level or power. THROWSTONE UNIT wasn’t the staple Force was and did nearly the same thing, albeit with more restrictions, but balanced by better stats. GOBLIN ATTACK FORCE was now a searchable 2300 ATK behemoth, but with the drawback of returning to defense after an attack. HAYABUSA KNIGHT could put up to 2000 damage by itself and coupled with UNITED WE STAND or MAGE POWER could get nasty.But the most important of all was MARAUDING CAPTAIN. The latter helped you put monsters on board if you needed more aggression or swarm, helps protecting your other warriors from battle (which meant the opponent had to waste resources or attacks on it to get rid of your defense position GAF) and obviously the lock it formed when you had two copies of it on the field. While it could still get broken by card effects, the attack lock could become quite a nuisance at times.

FIBER JAR was a more extreme version of CYBER JAR. The former could even the playing field and reset the game if you ever were in an unfortunate position. While it doesn’t mean you’ll necessarily win the game, it does give you another chance when things weren’t looking so good. INJECTION FAIRY LILY was another notable power card for the deck, while it’s a weak monster at first glance, it can pack quite a punch: at the cost of 2000 LPs, it meant that it could beat any monster by battle and put up to 3400 LPs worth of damage.

YATA-GARASU introduction to the game will be very significant until it got eventually banned. Being a spirit monster meant the opponent had few ways to stop it if it can hit directly and can’t get rid of it during his turn and it was searchable with WITCH OF THE BLACK FOREST and SANGAN. While a weak card on its own, its combination with other power cards (RAIGEKI/DARK HOLE/CHANGE OF HEART/SNATCH STEAL…etc) that can clear the field made it a very threatening presence that could put the opponent on a significant disadvantageous position, or just win the game. Also, we can add other benefits to it being a spirit such as being CREATURE SWAP bait, being impossible to be stolen by CoF or Snatch and the opponent couldn’t revive it with MONSTER REBORN and poke you.Anyway, its simple existence changed a lot of stuff.

The spell and traps lineup are the staples being played at the time, no real explanation needed. Please not this was still when IMPERIAL ORDER had its old errata/effect which prevented you from “switching it off” when you wanted. You had the obligation to pay as long as it was affordable, but it was still a power card.

The side deck really isn’t one, but a list of other notable card choices. GEMINI ELF was still a very main worthy card for the time, especially if you needed more aggression as it is a 1900 body with no drawback. AIRKNIGHT PARSHATH wasn’t as good as it would become over the next formats, its 1900 body for a tribute is low when GOBLIN ATTACK FORCE could run over it and GEMINI ELF/SPEAR DRAGON could crash into it without needing a tribute, but it could nonetheless prove to be efficient at times. Speaking of SPEAR DRAGON, it was another somewhat popular choice due to it being a piercer that could inflict damage against defensive monsters, although it’s drawback can be very costly, most times it’d be just a one shot monster before dying. BAZOO THE SOUL EATER was a great choice for the time, being able to run over pretty much any meta relevant monster at the time, decks would often main 2 or 3 copies of it. DARK RULER HA DES was also an interesting tribute monster. It’s 2450 ATK offensive power meant it could beat the ever-so popular JINZO, it also could beat over the likes of searchers (SANGAN & WITCH OF THE BLACK FOREST), batte recruiters (MYSTIC TOMATO, SHINING ANGEL, GIANT RAT) and flip effect monsters (MAGICIAN OF FAITH, CYBER JAR, FIBER JAR, MAN-EATER BUG) and other stuff (WALL OF ILLUSION) without giving them the chance of activating. SINISTER SERPENT would become much better with time when the game shifted towards more hand control and served as an answer to multiple DON ZALOOG, SPIRIT REAPER, DROP OFF..etc or combined with other cards (TRIBE-INFECTING VIRUS, METAMORPHOSIS, discard traps/spells). At the time it could still be an answer to DELINQUENT DUO and at times, CONFISCATION if it was the lone card in your hand. It should be noted that it gave you more incentive to play the second copy of GRACEFUL CHARITY you were allowed to.

NOBLEMAN OF CROSSOUT gave more options to avoid flip effects being triggered, not to mention getting rid of face-down walls, not as good as it will become later, but still worth a shot. SWORDS OF REVEALING LIGHT served as not only proptect your monsters from attack, but also potentially being locked by Yata. However, HARPIE’S FEATHER DUSTER and HEAVY STORM were still in the game and MYSTICAL SPACE TYPHOON was unlimited so it might not pay off at all times. If worried about that, WABOKU comes as a natural alternative that is chainable to destruction and lets you be safe for a turn. CEASEFIRE not only serves as a potential game ender, but it can also be used to prevent flip effects from activating. MAGIC CYLINDER can not only protect you from an attack  (which would mean a destroyed monster or even a Yata-lock), but also potentially win you the game. MAGIC JAMMER and SOLEMN JUDGMENT acted as negation, although the latter could be very costly, so use it wisely.

Other notable cards include DUST TORNADO which can act as an out to IMPERIAL ORDER, SEVEN TOOLS OF THE BANDIT which can negate any trap card and used at key moments in the game, SKULL LAIR being another out to YATA, FISSURE as an answer to various monsters, KURIBOH as a way to prevent you from losing or taking a hit from YATA. CREATURE SWAP was nifty combined with YATA or recruiters while possibly taking one of their key monsters and the list goes on.

[/spoiler]

Mad Scientist – November 2003

[spoiler]

6KOmK1X.png

12 Monsters:
2 Cannon Soldier

3 Catapult Turtle

3 Gilasaurus

3 Magical Scientist
1 Sangan

25 Spells:

1 Card Destruction

1 Change of Heart

1 Creature Swap

1 Dark Hole

1 Graceful Charity

1 Heavy Storm

3 Last Will

1 Monster Reborn

3 Mystical Space Typhoon

1 Painful Choice

3 Poison of the Old Man

1 Pot of Greed

1 Premature Burial
1 Monster Reborn
1 Raigeki
3 Reasoning

1 Snatch Steal

3 Traps:
1 Call of the Haunted

2 Waboku

Side:
1 Jinzo

2 Jowgen the Spiritualist

2 Inspection

3 Messenger of Peace

2 Metamorphosis

2 Last Turn

3 Solemn Judgment

Extra:

Bunch of 2000+ ATK LV6 or lower fusions and Thousand-Eyes Restrict

October 2013 saw the release of Magician’s Force booster pack which had notable cards such as DARK MAGICIAN GIRL, BREAKER THE MAGICAL WARRIOR, TRIBE-INFECTING VIRUS, WAVE-MOTION CANNON, APPRENTICE MAGICIAN, DARK PALADIN and  many more, it also introduced the concept of union monsters (and the XYZ series) and support for the AMAZONESS archetype. But most importantly, it had MAGICAL SCIENTIST which is the main part of the Mad Scientist deck.

In exchange of paying 1000 of your LPs, Scientist let you summon an LV6 or lower fusion monster from your fusion deck. The summoned monster cannot attack directly and gets back to where it came from as soon as your end phase came. That ddidn’t sound very promising but with the help of CATAPULT TURTLE (didn’t have the OPT clause yet), it became a formidable tool of FTK/OTK.

If you’re not familiar with that the mechanical turtle could do, you’ll want to know that it ca “launch” monsters at the opponent and inflict half of their ATK power as damage. So, in order to deal more damage than what you’d pay with Scientist, we need to have fusion monsters with more than 2000 ATK. The 3 available at that time were: EMPRESS JUDGE, PUNISHED EAGLE & ROARING OCEAN SNAKE. All had 2100 ATK which was enough to inflict more damage than what we were paying in LPs. More will come to the game later but these were the only ones filling the bill at the time. Fill the rest of the fusion deck with the likes of RYU SENSHI, FIEND SKULL DRAGON, DARK BALTER THE TERRIBLE & THOUSAND-EYES RESTRICT (which could steal monsters and buff itself).

To get both Scientist and Turtle on the field as fast as possible, we can use several of these cards. GILASAURUS provided easy fodder for Turtle and LAST WILL. It can easily be special summoned with no condition and its drawback isn’t really one since you’ll usually try to get it before they have a graveyard or just don’t care about what they summon, as long as you can execute your plan. It can even turn beneficial as you can take that monster with CHANGE OF HEART, SNATCH STEAL or CREATURE SWAP to tribute it.

Another way to trigger LAST WILL would be summoning CANNON SOLDIER and tributing itself. Not only you’ll inflict a bit of damage but also fulfill the condition of LAST WILL. Remember that you had to activate it before the monster is sent to the graveyard and multiple copies stack, which meant you could summon 2 monsters if you played 2 copies, or 3 if you used 3 copies of it.

SANGAN is better for the deck than WITCH OF THE BLACK FOREST as it can do everything the latter can with the added effect of actually being able to search out CATAPULT TURTLE. As for CANNON SOLDIER, not only is he used because he can easily trigger LAST WILL but he can help with pushing for more damage.

REASONING also is one of the main helpers in achieving the kill as it can help put either Scientist or Turtle or provide tribute fodder, as long as the opponent doesn’t call the right level. POISON OF THE OLD MAN not only helps recovering LPs for more Scientist uses, but can also push for that little bit of damage remaining. The revival cards purposes is getting back the kill pieces that happened to either be tribute or sent to the grave thanks to CARD DESTRUCTION, GRACEFUL CHARITY or PAINFUL CHOICE. WABOKU is in case you can’t get the OTK off soon enough and prvent you from dying or take more damage than needed. Other notable cards that could be mained include CYBER JAR which can put monsters on the field for use or LIMITER REMOVAL which can buff Soldier or Turtle for more damage.

With the side deck, you could smokescreen into LAST TURN OTK. Scientist could burn through your LP faster to get off LAST TURN, as can SOLEMN JUDGMENT or INSPECTION. Coupled with JOWGEN THE SPIRITUALIST, it gave you an automatic win. METAMORPHOSIS becomes way better if you’re playing with unlimited fusion deck like it used to be.[/spoiler]

They might contains some errors or not be as accurate as wanted, but I'm willing to make corrections, and that's the reason I posted them here. If you're not updating the website anymore or don't plan to do it, please tell me so I won't go on with this.

Whoaa thanks. I will add this to the site for sure. It's fairly easy to add stuff like this, but the reason I have not updated the website in a while is because writing the content is what takes lots of time, and I am fairly busy with other stuff at the moment. I will definitely read this over in detail and add it to the site, and I would love to see more. Thanks a bunch!

Whoaa thanks. I will add this to the site for sure. It's fairly easy to add stuff like this, but the reason I have not updated the website in a while is because writing the content is what takes lots of time, and I am fairly busy with other stuff at the moment. I will definitely read this over in detail and add it to the site, and I would love to see more. Thanks a bunch!

No problem. I've been reading the site a lot not only for a dose of nostalgia but to remember some of the rulings about GOAT format. Since I can dedicate time to this and I wanted to contribute to the site, I can provide summaries for the formats that weren't done yet.

Vampire – February 2004

[spoiler]

E4ZIqKG.png

16 Monsters:
1 Breaker the Magical Warrior

2 D.D. Warrior Lady

1 Injection Fairy Lily

1 Jinzo

1 Magician of Faith

2 Pyramid Turtle

1 Sangan

1 Sinister Serpent

2 Spirit Reaper

1 Tribe-Infecting Virus

1 Vampire Lord

1 Yata-Garasu

20 Spells:

1 Book of Life

1 Change of Heart

1 Confiscation

1 Creature Swap

1 Dark Hole

1 Delinquent Duo

1 Graceful Charity

1 Heavy Storm

1 Mirage of Nightmare

1 Monster Reborn

3 Mystical Space Typhoon

1 Painful Choice

1 Pot of Greed

1 Premature Burial
1 Raigeki

1 Snatch Steal

1 The Forceful Sentry

4 Traps:
1 Call of the Haunted

1 Imperial Order

1 Mirror Force

1 Torrential Tribute

Side:
1 Dark Ruler Ha Des

2 Despair from the Dark

1 Patrician of Darkness

1 Pyramid Turtle

2 Book of Life

2 Call of the Mummy

2 Card of Safe Return

1 Creature Swap

1 Dust Tornado

1 Ring of Destruction

1 Waboku

February 2004 refers to the mini-format following the release of Dark Crisis and before Invasion of Chaos, which will introduce the concept of chaos monsters. The set introduced archetypes such as Guardian and Archfiend and had several notables cards like: D.D. WARRIOR LADY, REFLECT BOUNDER, BUTTERFLY DAGGER – ELMA, TSUKUYOMI, SKILL DRAIN among others, and also had VAMPIRE LORD which will make an immediate impact. The February 2004 list was made as a response to this set’s release: BUTTERFLY DAGGER – ELMA, MAGICAL SCIENTIST, REFLECT BOUNDER & VAMPIRE LORD all got limited, while MORPHING JAR went from limited to semi-limited.

Zombies had already received plenty of support thanks Pharaonic Guardian: SPIRIT REAPER, PYRAMID TURTLE, BOOK OF LIFE and even CALL OF THE MUMMY all made an “undead” deck a possibility. PYRAMID TURTLE was one of the best searchers in the game at that time, being able to fetch any zombie with 2000 or less defense. This included SPIRIT REAPER, which was already a very lethal card on its own, itself or even monsters such as PATRICIAN OF DARKNESS or SHADOW GHOUL, if you had a deck around it. DC gave us a new toy to use with it: VAMPIRE LORD and you had a solid core for a deck.  Vampire’s strength was how it played around several prominent cards at the time. RAIGEKI, DARK HOLE, MIRROR FORCE, RING OF DESTRUCTION, EXILED FORCE, TRIBE-INFECTING VIRUS all dealt with it for a short time before the pesky zombie would show up again. And even in the case vampire got dealt with by other means, BOOK OF LIFE gave you more options to retrieve it and start from scratch.

Another notable introduction was D.D. WARRIOR LADY which acted as a different EXILED FORCE. While the latter was easier to use opposed to the former, Warrior Lady was far more efficient in dealing with threats. It could effectively remove any monster it battled with and made it a non-factor for the rest of the game, and unlike Force, it was better to use against the likes of SANGAN, WITCH OF THE BLACK FOREST or VAMPIRE LORD (which would come back if you used Force on it).

Several cards from Magician’s Force left their mark on the game by that point. MAGICAL SCIENTIST (which could be used in this deck) OTK earned the card a limit status while BREAKER THE MAGICAL WARRIOR acted as a MYSTICAL SPACE TYPHOON with a body, and finally TRIBE-INFECTING VIRUS benefitted from the increasing popularity of SINISTER SERPENT.

Other than all the staple spells and traps, MIRAGE OF NIGHTMARE in combination with MYSTICAL SPACE TYPHOON was a very neat trick to replenish your hand if needed, with MST getting rid of Mirage as to not get its drawback.

The side deck showed a transition to a more zombie-based deck. Having 3 copies of BOOK OF LIFE meant the deck had more revival power than any other deck and could abuse CARD OF SAFE RETURN to out-advantage the opponent (although this strategy would really become popular years later thanks to the release of ZOMBIE MASTER, IL BLUD & MEZUKI). DESPAIR FROM THE DARK added a lot of muscle to the deck, being at a very beefy 2800 ATK power and acted as a counter to popular deck and hand destruction strategies and cards, even though it had the disadvantage of not being able to be summoned by Turtle or being a dead card to draw at times, fortunately, CALL OF THE MUMMY could make use of them.

There were plenty of other notable cards to use at the time. DARK RULER HA DES could deal with flip effect monsters, searchers, DDWL and a host of other cards. AIRKNIGHT PARSHATH could run over the majority of monsters and even an encounter with DDWL would net you a draw to replace itself. NOBLEMAN OF CROSSOUT was still a very good card and now in DDWL had an additional target it could deal with. Coupled with the likes of BOOK OF MOON or TSUKUYOMI, it could get rid of any monster. CYBER JAR and FIBER JAR were still very strong card, especially FIBER, which was easily main worthy. REFLECT BOUNDER was a solid option, especially late game when the opponent couldn’t afford attacking it, but will get arguably better during the chaos format for being one of the best lights in the game. ROYAL DECREE was an answer to lock or trap heavy decks, but wasn’t that great other than against a select decks.

BEATDOWN, MACHINES and FIENDS were also notable decks one could use at the time.[/spoiler]

Worlds – August 2004

[spoiler]

nqqQxuQ.png

18 Monsters:
1 Black Luster Soldier – Envoy of the Beginning

1 Chaos Emperor Dragon – Envoy of the End

3 D.D. Warrior Lady

1 Jinzo

2 Kycoo the Ghost Destroyer

1 Magical Scientist

2 Magician of Faith

1 Sangan

1 Shining Angel

1 Sinister Serpent

1 Spirit Reaper

1 Tribe-Infecting Virus

17 Spells:

1 Book of Moon

1 Confiscation

1 Creature Swap

1 Dark Hole

1 Graceful Charity

1 Heavy Storm

1 Mirage of Nightmare

1 Monster Reborn

3 Mystical Space Typhoon

1 Nobleman of Crossout

1 Pot of Greed

1 Premature Burial
1 Scapegoat

1 Snatch Steal

1 The Forceful Sentry

5 Traps:
1 Call of the Haunted

1 Mirror Force

1 Ring of Destruction

2 Torrential Tribute

Side:
1 Airknight Parshath

1 Berserk Gorilla

1 Don Zaloog

1 Exile Force

1 Mystic Tomato

1 Reflect Bounder

2 Book of Moon

1 Creature Swap

1 Nobleman of Crossout

1 Swords of Revealing Lights

1 Magic Cylinder

2 Royal Decree

1 Waboku

Fusion:
3 Thousand-Eyes Restrict

3 Dark Balter the Terrible

3 Ryu Senshi

And a bunch of other fusions

The 2004 worlds format was an interesting one, because it wasn’t really a proper format to speak of and it last for the total of one tournament: the 2004 world championships. The difference between this list and the April 2004 list is that it included the banned cards in the OCG into its banlist, whereas the TCG didn’t have any banned card at the time. The cards that got banned were: CYBER JAR, FIBER JAR, INJECTION FAIRY LILY, YATA-GARASU, CHANGE OF HEART, DELINQUENT DUO, HARPIE’S FEATHER DUSTER, PAINFUL CHOICE, RAIGEKI and IMPERIAL ORDER.

What this meant is that the CHAOS EMEPROR DRAGON – ENVOY OF THE END + SANGAN\WITCH OF THE BLACK FOREST -> YATA-GARASU (for lock) or INJECTION FAIRY LILY (for possibly game) were no longer playable. It also got rid of some power spells in RAIGEKI, HARPIE’S FETHER DUSTER and CHANGE OF HEART and that a player could no longer use IMPERIAL ORDER to lock his opponent from playing spells then turn it off for his own use. PAINFUL CHOICE being gone meant you couldn’t use it to immediately setup a BLS or CED to hit the field.

Despite all these changes, there was simply no way to make chaos decks any less dominant than they were and they swept the format. YATA or LILY bans didn’t stop CED from still being one of the most broken cards in the entire game, neither did they reduce anything of BLS’ capabilities. CHAOS EMPEROR DRAGON – ENVOY OF THE END could still end games by itself while BLACK LUSTER SOLDIER – ENVOY OF THE BEGINNING was still a very dominant card, too.

KYCOO THE GHOST DESTROYER remained one of the best monsters in the game, being able to prevent chaos monsters from being summoned while absolutely killing the opponent’s graveyard. D.D. WARRIOR LADY was still extremely good and decks would use SHINING ANGEL to gain quicker access to it while putting lights in the grave, as well. MAGICAL SCIENTIST was used in combination with THOUSAND-EYES RESTRICT to act as monster removal, DARK BALTER THE TERRIBLE served as an out to flip effects and the likes of SANGAN, WITCH and DDWL and, finally, RYU SENSHI was used for its trap negation in case one wanted to go for a push. Alternatively, you could use Scientist to put lights and dark in grave (using other cards or killing them..etc).

SCAPEGOAT was seeing play for being a chainable answer to attacks or other situations, as it could prevent you from losing the game or taking direct damage from the likes of SPIRIT REAPER or DON ZALOOG. METAMORPHOSIS wasn’t really being used at the time, so token + meta into TER would only become a legit strategy a bit after that. It also formed a nice combination with CREATURE SWAP by taking a valuable monster in exchange of a puny token. Well, CREATURE SWAP, for the most part was a very good card due to the high number of floaters the deck played, by swapping them for something like a KYCOO, BLS or AIRKNIGHT, among others.

As for other notable cards, AIRKNIGHT PARSHATH was definitely something to consider at the time due to the presence of SCAPEGOAT and weaker floaters, it could also punish sitting on a SPIRIT REAPER for example. BERSERK GORILLA served as a formidable tool of aggression being able to run over KYCOO, PARSHATH and tie with VAMPIRE LORD and was often used even if it was neither a light or a dark. EXILED FORCE was a bit redundant with 3 DDWL still being permitted in the game at the time. MYSTIC TOMATO was another floater and combined with CREATURE SWAP could easily create situations where you were able to hit directly with a DON ZALOOG or SPIRIT REAPER. Another notable card was ENEMY CONTROLLER. Combined with goat tokens, it could be used as a pseudo CHANGE OF HEART and in some cases; it could be used as 1-for-1 removal against REAPER or GORILLA. You4d need to remember that pre-June 2005, a monster that got its battle position changed by a card effect couldn’t be manually changed back, even if it wasn’t summoned that turn.

VAMPIRE LORD wasn’t as good as it was due to the many ways to play around its effects and the presence of GORILLA that could easily crash into it. Unless you’re using a dedicated zombie build, you always had better options to go for. REFLECT BOUNDER was a good light that made opponents hesitate before attacking it, but it could easily be played around aswell.

Some of the interesting techs were: BARREL BEHIND THE DOOR, while being a bit situational, could deflect the damage caused by CED, BOUNDER, CATAPULT TURTLE, CANNON SOLDIER or CYLINDER back to their owner, and could be used to inflict all the damage resulting from a RING OF DESTRUCTION burn to your opponent, whether it was you or him/her who activated it. Although unfortunate to have in a lot of occasions, THEBAN NIGHTMARE served as a great alternative to LILY/YATA in case you did the CED + SANGAN/WITCH play, as you were able to put 3000 damage on board and hopefully finish the game, although I don’t advocate using it for consistency reasons.[/spoiler]

CRV Goats – September 2005

[spoiler]

5kxoxow.png

16 Monsters:
1 Airknight Parshath

1 Asura Priest

1 Black Luster Soldier – Envoy of the Beginning

1 D.D. Assailant

1 D.D. Warrior Lady

2 Exarion Universe

1 Jinzo

2 Magician of Faith

1 Sangan

1 Sinister Serpent

1 Spirit Reaper

1 Tribe-Infecting Virus

1 Tsukuyomi

17 Spells:

2 Book of Moon

1 Delinquent Duo

1 Graceful Charity

1 Heavy Storm

1 Lightning Vortex

2 Metamorphosis

1 Mystical Space Typhoon

2 Nobleman of Crossout

1 Pot of Greed

1 Premature Burial
3 Scapegoat

1 Snatch Steal

7 Traps:
1 Bottomless Trap Hole

1 Call of the Haunted

1 Dust Tornado

1 Mirror Force

1 Ring of Destruction

1 Torrential Tribute

Side:
1 Chiron the Mage

1 Kycoo the Ghost Destroyer

1 Mobius the Frost Monarch

1 Morphing Jar

1 Spirit Reaper

1 Book of Moon

1 Metamorphosis

1 Swords of Revealing Lights

1 Ceasefire

2 Cursed Seal of the Forbidden Spell

1 Dust Tornado

1 Magic Cylinder

1 Threatening Roar

1 Waboku

Fusion:
Same fusion deck as “Goat Control”, with the addition of 2-3 Cyber Twin Dragon

CRV Goats refer to the “mini-format” between September 1st (CRV & EXARION UNIVERSE being legal for competitive play) and October 1st (which marked the end of Goat Control as we know it). Cybernetic Revolution brought 2 cards that will define the format, those two being CYBER DRAGON and CYBER TWIN DRAGON. Other relevant cards included CYBER END DRAGON, ELEMENTAL HERO BUBBLEMAN, MIRACLE FUSION, DRILLROID and THE SPIRITUAL ART cards. The major point of the “format” was SJC BOSTON 2005, which was the only SJC it covered.

EXARION UNIVERSE was notable for its great stats and ability to inflict piercing damage, on top of being a DARK monster aswell. Its defense meant it could wall all common LV4 or lower monsters (save for BERSERK GORILLA and a few others that really weren’t played that much) and even the popular AIRKNIGHT PARSHATH. It also meant that players could now run 3 or even 4 piercers to punish stalling through SPIRIT REAPER or SCAPEGOAT.

CYBER DRAGON instantly became one of the best light monsters in the game. Its stats meant it could beat over a host of commonly played monsters and walls (EXARION UNIVERSE, GRAVEKEEPER’S SPY, SKILLED WHITE MAGICIAN..etc), even a few tribute monsters such as AIRKNIGHT PARSHATH while rendering monsters such as BERSERK GORILLA or VAMPIRE LORD more and more obsolete. The other relevant part is that it could be easily put on the field without wasting your normal summon or resources! It also could serve as great tribute or METAMORPHOSIS (into DARK BALTER THE TERRIBLE) or if it dies, you could still summon or set a monster. CYDRA would go on and have a more meaningful impact on several following formats aswell.

Finally, CYBER TWIN DRAGON was a formidable tool of aggression. After using BLACK LUSTER SOLDIER – ENVOY OF THE BEGINNING’s effect, you could just use META on it to get TWIN and put up to 5600 LPs of damage, which more often than not would end game. That included revived or stolen BLS, too.

All of these elements made BOTTOMLESS TRAP HOLE and to some degree, SAKURETSU ARMOR,  more valuable cards. All of these monsters fell into Bottomless’ trap and relied on offensive power and attacking, which made Sakuretsu armor a better pick for someone looking to defend against them.

As for the rest, It’s for the most part the same as standard goats that preceded this mini-format. Other great techs could include: DON ZALOOG which could plus off an EXARION looking to pierce, CHIRON THE MAGE which was another way to deal with backrow (by possibly pitching spells you didn’t need or could retrieve with MAGICIAN OF FAITH) with good stats, WABOKU and THREATENING ROAR, chainable traps to curb the increased aggressiveness of the format and the list goes on.

Even though it’s frowned by the GOAT CONTROL community, CYBER-STEIN OTK could be an alternative due to LIMITER REMOVAL, MEGAMORPH or LAST WILL being unlimited (and GIANT TRUNADE semi-limited), and various ways to deal with backrow. LIMITER on TWIN could put up to 11200 damage whereas it allowed CYBER END DRAGON to perform a one attack kill, and with piercing damage, it could even push for games through goat tokens.

[/spoiler]

Stein Monarch  – September 2006

[spoiler]

wgraVZ6.png

22 Monsters:
2 Apprentice Magician

3 Cyber Dragon

1 Cyber-Stein

1 D.D. Warrior Lady

2 Dekoichi the Battlechanted Locomotive

1 Exiled Force

1 Magician of Faith

2 Mobius the Frost Monarch

2 Old Vindicative Magician

1 Sangan

1 Thestalos the Firestorm Monarch

1 Treeborn Frog

3 Zaborg the Thunder Monarch

11 Spells:

1 Book of Moon

1 Confiscation

1 Creature Swap

1 Graceful Charity

1 Heavy Storm

1 Last Will

1 Mystical Space Typhoon

1 Nobleman of Crossout

1 Pot of Avarice

1 Premature Burial
1 Scapegoat

7 Traps:
1 Bottomless Trap Hole

1 Call of the Haunted

1 Mirror Force

1 Ring of Destruction

2 Sakuretsu Armor

1 Torrential Tribute

Side:
2 Cyber-Stein

2 Mystic Tomato

1 Creature Swap

2 Giant Trunade

1 Limiter Removal

2 Megamorph

1 Dust Tornado

2 Royal Decree

2 Waboku

Fusion:
Cyber Twin Dragon, Cyber End Dragon, Blue-Eyes Ultimate Dragon, Super Vehicroid Jumbo Drill and other staple fusions.

The main change the September 2006 list did bring was CHAOS SORCERER being banned, which meant the effective death of chaos decks and their domination over the game. Other hits were the bans of THOUSAND-EYES RESTRICT, TSUKUYOMI and TIME SEAL.

Soon enough new contenders would rise, such as Monarchs and a very powerful card would shape the format: CYBER-STEIN.

CYBER-STEIN was a high risk, high reward card. You had to have more than 5000 LPs to use it and the guarantee that its use won’t backfire on you. But the sheer power and OTKs it provided were just too good that the card would soon become a staple played in pretty much every deck, including its own OTK-based deck and Monarchs which would tech in a copy or a few of it for the game ending possibilities it gave the deck.

TREEBORN FROG, released a few months ago in SHADOW OF INFINITY, was the go-to card if you wanted reliable and re-usable tribute fodder. It made Monarchs a true force to be reckoned with. Other tribute engines included CYBER DRAGON and the spellcaster engine (APPRENTICE MAGICIAN getting OLD VINDICATIVE MAGICIAN or MAGICIAN OF FAITH from the deck, to not only use their effects but as tribute fodder, too).

One of the most lethal combos the deck had was using any monster to summon ZABORG THE THUNDER MONARCH or MOBIUS THE FROST MONARCH to clear the field, the using LAST WILL and summon CYBER-STEIN to get CYBER TWIN DRAGON for game.

Other relevant decks included WARRIOR TOOLBOX or you could just play a deck based around using CYBER-STEIN for its OTK power. For reference, here’s DAVID RODRIGUEZ’s SJC winning deck for SAN JOSE:

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Decklist_-_David_Rodriguez_-_SJC_San_Jose_2006

The “format” would end on December 21st following the emergency ban on CYBER STEIN.

[/spoiler]

Chimeratech  – January 2007

[spoiler]

OqGd3JP.png

17 Monsters:
2 Apprentice Magician

3 Cyber Dragon

3 Cyber Phoenix

3 Dekoichi the Battlechanted Locomotive

1 Jinzo

1 Magician of Faith

1 Morphing Jar

1 Spell Canceller

3 UFO Turtle

17 Spells:

1 Card Destruction

2 Dimension Fusion

3 Enemy Controller

1 Future Fusion

2 Giant Trunade

1 Graceful Charity

1 Heavy Storm

1 Limiter Removal

3 Overload Fusion

1 Premature Burial
1 Swords of Revealing Light

6 Traps:
3 Jar of Greed

1 Mirror Force
2 Reckless Greed

Side:
2 Des Wombat

3 Snipe Hunter

1 Scapegoat/Mystical Space Typhoon

1 Gravity Bind

1 Ring of Destruction

3 Royal Decree

1 Torrential Tribute

3 Waboku

Fusion:
3 Chimeratech Overdragon

2 Cyber Twin Dragon

2 Cyber End Dragon

Possibly Gatling Dragon

This mini-format saw its birth when CYBER-STEIN’s dominance was cut short by its emergency ban on Decembet 21st. The deck is based around Power of the Duelist (which saw release just before the end of the April 2006 format) cards such as CHIMERATECH OVERDRAGON, OVERLOAD FUSION and the infamous FUTURE FUSION. It is interesting to note the latter got instantly limited for the September

2006 format, due to the pack being released months before in the OCG and FUTURE FUSION being a very impactful card back then.

The deck is without surprise based around a MACHINE core: CYBER DRAGON was an all around great monster in the game and needed for CHIMERATECH OVERDRAGON, CYBER PHOENIX was also a staple in machine based decks as it protected your machines from the likes of BOOK OF MOON, ENEMY CONTROLLER, RING OF DESTRUCTION, SAKURETSU ARMOR, BRAIN CONTROL and much more. It was also a floater as it replaced itself by a draw when destroyed by battle. UFO TURTLE served as a way to get PHOENIX on the field and acted as a mean to fill the grave with machines. DEKOICHI THE BATTLECHANTED LOCOMOTIVE needed no explanation as it was a great way to dig more for power cards. Finally, both JINZO and SPELL CANCELLER provided ways to control the field and make sure your plays go through.

What helped put this all together were the 2 power cards of the deck: FUTURE FUSION and OVERLOAD FUSION. The former served as the best way to instantly fill the graveyard for your fusion plays, it’d usually send enough materials as you wanted for CHIMERATECH OVERDRAGON, which were used then for OVERLOAD FUSION (please remember that If your CHIMERATECH OVERDRAGON was summoned with FUTURE FUSION’s effect, it’d simply send everything else to the grave, including FUTURE FUSION, so it was important to use OVERLOAD FUSION to prevent that). It could also be used send materials for CYBER TWIN DRAGON or CYBER END DRAGON, both of which didn’t make FUTURE FUSION go away, nor could they be summoned with OVERLOAD FUSION, tho. Another possible use for OVERLOAD FUSION would be to summon GATLING DRAGON, but that’d require you to use BARREL DRAGON and BLOWBACK DRAGON.

Another card worthy of mention was DIMENSION FUSION. It was used in 2 or 3 copies for its compatibility with OVERLOAD FUSION banishing targets for it. It’d be used as a finishing tool by bring more muscles to perform the kill or monsters like SPELL CANCELLER and JINZO for more insurance of your pushes being meaningful.

GADGET based decks could also be used as fodder due to the high deck thinning prowess they have. An interesting tae was PAUL LYNN’s ANCIENT GEAR deck that took the crown during SJC ORLANDO:

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Decklist_-_Paul_Lynn_-_SJC_Orlando_2007

The ANCIENT GEAR cards provided support for the deck. ANCIENT GEAR CANNON could be tributed to avoid any battle traps from being activated, while ANCIENT GEAR SOLDIER could only prevent them on his own attacks. But most importantly, both permitted the use of ANCIENT GEAR DRILL. Even though you couldn’t use the spell you set during that turn, it was still a very important way to get any power spell quickly than you would have otherwise. The deck also contained the BARREL DRAGON/BLOWBACK DRAGON/GATLING DRAGON combination mentioned earlier.

It is important to note that the final SJC of the format (SJC ST LOUIS) saw the birth and rise of the very explosive AIRBLADE TURBO deck, mainly due to ELEMENTAL HERO STRATOS still being at 3 for that very short period of time. For reference, here's CARLO PEREZ SJC winning deck:

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Decklist_-_Carlo_Perez_-_SJC_St._Louis_2007

[/spoiler]

Perfect Circle  – September 2007

[spoiler]

ODKBaUo.png

21 Monsters:

1 Card Trooper

3 Cyber Dragon

1 Destiny HERO - Disk Commander

2 Destiny HERO - Fear Monger

2 Destiny HERO - Malicious

1 Elemental HERO Stratos

1 Jinzo

3 Raiza the Storm Monarch

1 Sangan

1 Snipe Hunter

1 Spirit Reaper

2 Thestalos the Firestorm Monarch OR 2 Zaborg the Thunder Monarch

1 Treeborn Frog

12 Spells:

1 Brain Control

3 Destiny Draw

1 Enemy Controller

1 Heavy Storm

1 Lightning Vortex

1 Mystical Space Typhoon

1 Pot of Avarice

1 Premature Burial

1 Reinforcement of the Army

1 Scapegoat

7 Traps:
1 Call of the Haunted

1 Crush Card Virus

3 Phoenix Wing Wind Blast

1 Mirror Force

1 Torrential Tribute

Side:
2 Banisher of the Radiance

2 D.D. Crow

1 Mei-Kou, Master of Barriers

1 Mobius the Frost Monarch

1 Twister

2 Cursed Seal of the Forbidden Spell

1 Dust Tornado

2 Pulling the Rug

2 Royal Decree

1 The Transmigration Prophecy

The perfect circle deck wasn't introduced during the September 2007 format, but during the one before it. Some key cards got hit such as DESTINY HERO - DISK COMMANDER bing limited or DESTINY HERO - MALICIOUS semi-limit, but it didn't prevent the deck from functioning.

The name "Perfect Circle" comes from the deck ability to control many aspects of the game and deal with several threats aswell. The DESTINY HERO engine provided interesting things to the deck; DESTINY HERO - DISK COMMANDER was one of the main parts of the deck as it allowed the player to quickly gain advantage by reviving it from the graveyard (DESTINY HERO - FEAR MONGER, CALL OF THE HAUNTED and PREMATURE BURIAL all did that), DESTINY HERO - FEAR MONGER would not only revive Disk it fit wasn't possible but could also revive MALICIOUS for tribute fodder. MALICIOUS by itself was great fodder even if it's semi-limit made it less effective than it was. All of these obviously served as discard fodder for DESTINY DRAW and were searchable by ELEMENTAL HERO STRATOS, or in the case of Disk and Monger, REINFORCEMENT OF THE ARMY.

Other tribute fodder came in the form of the ever-recurring TREEBORN FROG, CYBER DRAGON or SPIRIT REAPER, which could also deal with the hand via its effect. BRAIN CONTROL, aswell as SOUL EXCHANGE, also provided the player with monsters to use. RAIZA THE STORM MONARCH, released a few months earlier in Force of the Breaker, was by far the best monarch in the deck and one of the best monsters in the game. While ZABORG THE THUNDER MONARCH or MOBIUS THE FROST MONARCH could only deal with either monsters or spells/traps, RAIZA could deal with both, not o mention spinning cards was a powerful effect too (which is why PHOENIX WING WIND BLAST was widely used at that time). THESTALOS THE FIRESTORM MONARCH could be used to hit the hand, and as a result, limit the opponent's possible plays, whereas SNIPE HUNTER, even being luck-based, was great removal for monsters or backrow.

Another power card for the format was   CRUSH CARD VIRUS  . It had a host of targets from the  DESTINY HERO  monsters to   SPIRIT REAPER  and SANGAN, and if it c ame to it, you could even use a D.D. CROW that was sitting on your hand. It could hit a large number of monsters (Monarchs, PLASMA, LaDD, STRATOS, JINZO, BREAKER..etc) and give valuable information about your opponent's hand. Add in another amazing hand control card in TRAP DUSTSHOOT and you could play MIND CRUSH to further deplete your opponen'ts options.

A few weeks into the format, we saw the release of MARSHMALLON and especially LIGHT AND DARKNESS DRAGON. The former could provide nice tribute fodder by being immune to battle destruction on top of inflciting burn damage, while the latter was an incredibly powerful and impactful card. It provided all-around negation to several effects and threats and in the situation it got destroyed, it could revive any monster, which included plussing off DESTINY HERO - DISK COMMANDER, search power with ELEMENTAL HERO STRATOS, beatsticks with JINZO or any monarch and so on. It also saw the rise in play for cards such as SOUL EXCHANGE seeing as LaDD needed 2 tributes, rather than 1 for the Monarchs, but was definitely worth it.  DESTINY HERO - PLASMA  was also an interesting tech piece as it was  searchable thanks to STRTAOS and could be summoned  with SCAPEGOAT, or serve as  TRADE-IN / DESTINY DRAW fodder.

Other notable cards used in the deck included: SPELL STRIKER which was searchable via REINFORCEMENT OF THE ARMY and could provided instant tribute material, MORPHING JAR as hand control or advantage maker or GOLD SARCOPHAGUS to access to your key cards faster.

As for other relevant decks, we can mention: ZOMBIES ( IL BLUD, ZOMBIE MASTER, BOOK OF LIFE  and CARD OF SAFE RETURN) proved to be a great fast and aggres sive deck that could quickly generate advantage, DEMISE, KING OF ARMAGEDDON OTK based decks were still contending despite the limit on MEGAMORPH, mainly thanks to the release of  SWING OF MEMORIES  (and ADVANCED RITUAL ART and DEMISE still being unlimited) , other various MONARCH decks, including  MACRO COSMOS  and DIMENSION FISSURE based decks and even BABOON BURN decks.  Towards the end of the format, PHANTOM OF DARKNESS would bring a card that will severly impact the game and following formats: DARK ARMED DRAGON, and as such "DAD" decks began to take form.

[/spoiler]

Didn't Perfect Circle play Light and Darkness Dragon, or am I mistaken?

Didn't Perfect Circle play Light and Darkness Dragon, or am I mistaken?

Yeah, I mentionned it. LaDD was released like 2 months into the format and I said it became used. The deck posted is pre-LaDD, I might also post a LaDD deck but its nearly the same. Just replace the 2 Thesta/Zaborg with 2 LaDD and find space for Marshmallon and 1-2 Soul Exchange.

I've been actively updating FL again since playing DN is not so fun. What else would I do with my free time, go outside? No thanks.

Here's a sortable, filterable table of all the cards in the goat format pool:

http://formatlibrary.weebly.com/goat-card-pool.html

If only TFJ wasn't banned, I know he was asking for this to be coded into DN. Too bad.

Theoretically I could do this for other formats (barf), or I could add a "release date" column that could filter away anything released after a specified date. I realize a table isn't the easiest thing in the world to read, but it's a bit laggy as is. Imbedding images would probably be a nightmare. I'm not about to pay for a better server...

Here's a more expansive modern +exarion goat format deck gallery with some short essays discussing them:

http://formatlibrary.weebly.com/goats/goat-control-deck-gallery

It's obviously not done. I'm aware the recruiter build sucks and is not as good as Kris's recent version. I'm aware one of the decks has 2x ceasefire xD. I write them in my free time when I'm feeling inspired. It's annoying that I can't edit the builds because of lack of images on DN. Maybe I should take screen captures from Percy.

Any comments greatly appreciated!

Thanks for the love on the monarch discussion <3

You should have an old list too.

Sorry to necro, but I found your site to be of great use and helped get a friend into the format using it since I couldn't ask him to read a bunch of hella long threads on the subject.
Much appreciated reference point.