...Arson

G2 vs. GS5 vs. XperiaZ2 vs. One(M8)

»...Arson    7758

I've already reserved the GS5, but the M8 is fucking beautiful and it won't get out of my brain.

What eventually made me choose the GS5 was durability (semi dust/waterproof, not made of glass) and removable battery.

I'm wondering what all of you think?

(ps iphones blow)

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

brawlballs    1586

Doesn't the One have a really terrible camera? That's a deal breaker for me. Let us know how the GS5 is!

+rei+    34452
Apple master race

-glares derisively at the nexus 4-

»...Arson    7758

yeah i sure want an overpriced phone with no expandable memory, small screen, average (and non removable) battery, terrible gimmicks that's also fragile as fuck.

i want that so badly.

• Upvote 6

»...Arson    7758

Doesn't the One have a really terrible camera? That's a deal breaker for me. Let us know how the GS5 is!

it's got a pretty good front facing camera which is nice for apps like snapchat and skype etc. the camera is smaller, yeah but they use a different technology called "ultrapixel".... which basically just lets more light into the shots and works really well for low-light stuff. theyve also got a 2nd camera thats designated solely to provide depth so you can refocus shots. it's pretty cool, but still a ways away from the 20mp beauties on the xperia or even the lumia 1520.

»...Arson    7758

in fairness to shitty gimmicks samsung is the king. but i'm turning those off anyways.

reshinov    17

I haven't decided whether to get the GS5 or M8, but I'll definitely agree that the M8 is beautiful as hell. The biggest issue I've had with Galaxy is that they feel a little cheap and plasticky despite what's going on underneath, but they still have that great camera, waterproofing, heart monitor and all that other quality stuff. 

One thing I really noticed is that HTC downplayed the focus on the concept of megapixels during the M8's release, considering their cameras are not even there in that department (4/3 mega for back cameras, 5 for front), but ultrapixel just sounds like a different concept with doubling the pixel size and other DSP qualities. I think initial tests showed that the dual cameras are still pretty shoddy at capturing zoomed-in images, though.

Form factor is absolutely huge for me for a phone I'm going to be using for several years, though, and the M8 just might win me over with that. 90% aluminum casing sounds ridiculously nice, especially when compared against Samsung's wholehearted reliance on polymers and faux leather, and it seems like HTC really put some thought into modelling their phones to sit perfectly in human hands.

»...Arson    7758

yeah comparing the s5 and one aesthetically is a gong show. it's the far and away worst vs the stand out best.

but i've resigned myself to buying a slim otterbox this time round... i've been cruel to my previous cell phones. so i'd be covering up the one anyways.

Lauren    510

I don't know if its the same IRL, but from what I have seen online, the M8's screen isn't as vibrant as compared to the S5.

The back camera on the M8 is really quite terrible as compared to its competition, and the refocusing thing isn't that amazing either, the pictures look really artificial, and I think the S5 has that function to a small extent too.

If I would get the M8, I would get it solely for its design and nothing else. Though the Dot View case is really cool, using a plasticky case like that goes against the entire point of purchasing the M8. Its similar to the S View Case for Samsung devices, but the S View Case has more functionality as compared to the Dot View (The dot view only works with native HTC Apps I think).

HTC introducing gestures is cool, but Samsung has done stuff like that long before HTC. From there, Samsung has way more experience and has invested a lot more in advancing the Gesture technology (In addition to answering calls by bring them up to your face, you can also call people directly by bringing the phone up to your face. You can take Screenshots by swiping your palm over the phone, and many other more functions which HTC is still a far off from) 

Air View is another thing which Samsung has, meaning you can preview videos or zoom in on text just by hovering your finger over the screen.

This might change in the future, but Samsung rolls out updates at a much faster pace as compared to HTC, so if that is your thing it might affect your decision.

I know this might sound like I'm a Samsung fanboy or something, but Samsung produces such great phones on both the Software and Hardware sides that I think it might be the best phone out of these 3 (I don't think anybody will get the Xperia Z2 lol). When Samsung designed the S3 and said it was "Designed for People", they really meant it, by making the user have the most natural and comfortable experience using its interface.

Though the design is outdated, and HTC beats it hands down on the design department, I think I'll just get a nice case to go over it.

• Upvote 1

»...Arson    7758

i really appreciate that post and wish i could up-vote it twice. makes me feel at ease with my decision.

the only reason i mentioned the xperia was that it wins out in the specs. biggest battery, nicest camera... but software often has more to do with how long a phone lasts and how well a camera works and i agree that samsung takes the cake there too.

edit- i also don't see the logic between having a phone that's semi waterproof but made of glass (LITERALLY)... if you're going for durable then go for it. 

+rei+    34452

yeah i sure want an overpriced phone with no expandable memory, small screen, average (and non removable) battery, terrible gimmicks that's also fragile as fuck.

i want that so badly.

im sorry i couldnt hear you because android is a buggy piece of shit that crashed again

Lauren    510

i really appreciate that post and wish i could up-vote it twice. makes me feel at ease with my decision.

the only reason i mentioned the xperia was that it wins out in the specs. biggest battery, nicest camera... but software often has more to do with how long a phone lasts and how well a camera works and i agree that samsung takes the cake there too.

edit- i also don't see the logic between having a phone that's semi waterproof but made of glass (LITERALLY)... if you're going for durable then go for it. 

No problem. I'm also trying to make a decision on what should I get, going to re-contract soon. I'm still using my S3 atm.

G2 and X2 have kind better specs (specs don't really matter nowadays, since we are at a level where all the phones are so powerful that we can hardly notice a difference) but their designs look to generic imo, I don't really like them. And I don't trust LG and Sony to provide adequate support for their phones (I may be wrong, didn't research about it).

I was actually thinking of getting the Note 3 in Rose Gold Black or Rose Gold White. It looks really great and I can see a use for the extra screen size a S Pen. So I'm pretty much deciding between the Note 3 or S5.

Note 3 Rose Gold Black/White

But the S5's Copper Gold phone looks really great from some photos I have seen, though it looks quite bad from some others too, so I'm not sure what it looks like IRL (there aren't any reviews on it at all)

If it looks like this, it really increases the probability of me getting it. But if it looks like this, I'll most probably give it a pass.

Hope you are happy with your decision, have you decided on which colour you are getting?

»...Arson    7758

we're in canada so it's black or white. I went with black so the bezel and stuff blends in with my otterbox.

captainameowica    3770

glad you made this denis as i'm in the same boat. right now i'm leaning towards the z2 or g2 rather than s5 or m8. (i actually don't like the m8, looks absolutely stunning though)

»...Arson    7758

the m8's only real hit is the camera, but it's a big one. it's apparently "alright" but for zooming it's brutal. the front facing camera is great for "selfies" and snapchat etc though, across the board. so if you're a big instagram/snapchat/selfie person that's a plus?

other than that it seems like a stellar, stellar phone.

the g2 seems alright but spec wise it's a bit less so than the other 3 phones i mentioned. i really want to spend some time with it and the xperia though, to see... but i doubt i will.

captainameowica    3770

the m8's only real hit is the camera, but it's a big one. it's apparently "alright" but for zooming it's brutal. the front facing camera is great for "selfies" and snapchat etc though, across the board. so if you're a big instagram/snapchat/selfie person that's a plus?

other than that it seems like a stellar, stellar phone.

the g2 seems alright but spec wise it's a bit less so than the other 3 phones i mentioned. i really want to spend some time with it and the xperia though, to see... but i doubt i will.

having compared both the g2 and s4 in person, i loved the feel of the g2 over the s4 and the overall look. not to mention the g2 is essentially the s4 but 150 dollars cheaper. hell even compared to the s5, it isn't too far behind.

• Upvote 1

Nygas    390

i want that so badly.

Oh, so HTC Ones and LG G2s have removable batteries and expandable storage? The Xperia has a removable battery?

»...Arson    7758

I've already reserved the GS5

1aedfe2d_D-X.gif

Lauren    510

Just went down to the one of the Carrier's store to check out the M8 and was surprised to see the S5 on preview there too.

The M8's screen isn't as bad as it seems on the videos I have seen, not too bad actually but the S5s screen was phenomenal. I don't know if it was just the White S5 used in conjuction with that colourful prism wallpaper, but it was really beautiful. I think I might just be getting the White S5.

In terms of build quality, of course the M8 looks much more premium as compared to the S5. But the new dimpled backplate design is really a great improvement from the glossy finished backplates of past models.

This might just be personal preference, but although the M8 is theoretically easier to hold in the hand due to its curved back, I found it too thick for my liking while the S5 was thin and just nice for my hands.

There is also the matter of weight with the M8 and S5 at 160g and 145g respectively, the difference can actually be felt quite easily. It depends, some people like their phones to be heavier, but for me prefer the lighter option.

The only area where the S5 loses out is in terms of pricing being a tad more expensive as compared to the M8, even when using less premium materials. 

Hope my thoughts on the phones can help some people make their decision on which phone to get, though it seems that my opinion might be a little biased.  =)

*PS: Totally ignored the G2 and Z2, as did most of the other people in the store. I guess marketing really plays a huge part in the Smartphone Industry. Even if they have the better phone, they will lose out if they are unable to promote it well enough. Just look at the HTC M7, however HTC has really stepped up its game this year with those funny sketches to promote the "unreleased" features of the phone. It might even join the ranks of Samsung and Apple as one of the Top 3.

»...Arson    7758

i'll believe it when i see it. there hasn't been a phone in two years that was as good as rumoured outside of the note3 which was the best smartphone of last year, imo. 

Indignation    2855

My friend just got one of the new compact xeperia z. It is quite beautiful, same hardware pretty much but in a smaller body, and fits easy in the hand. They will probably announce a z2 compact soon. The GS5 looks beastly in power. How long is the battery supposed to last on it?

I have a Nexus 5 for about 7 months now and that thing is great. Definitely feels like it will last me a good 2-3 enjoyable years of use.