Geargia - Discussion

TINA FEY    700

Curious how you play the Shadoll match-up. Do you avoid going into the extra to protect against Shadoll Fusion and play the Armor Advantage game?

If possible, yes.  Sometimes you're forced into the extra deck.  I wish my bubble match had been featured because I lost game 1 in 31 minutes and won the next two in 5 minutes each, respectively, just beating down with hands/grinding out advantage.  It illustrated the two sides of the matchup to a T. If it's game one and I'm against an unknown with Auger, Armor, and backrow, I opted to set Armor.  So, yes, ideally, the way to win that matchup was to outgrind them, whether it be with Armor or a hand.

• Upvote 4

El Scorcho    225

I'm chatting about your list with a friend and he asked about the Heartlandraco. Did you use it with Rhapsody in Berserk?

Neither of those cards came up this weekend.

Sorry. My first post was too vague. 

Our question was why did you use Heartlandraco without any applicable spells or was Rhapsody included specifically for that possible play? 

Well done, btw. 

BrandonBalls    1308
Heartland in the extra means just hitting for 6k with 2 gigants and a monster or something is basically lethal because you will have a gear and accel in hand, especially vs shaddolls who don't play real traps. I heartlanded for game 4 times.
  • Upvote 22

TINA FEY    700

10 rep for deck list

13 rep for explaining what Heartlandraco does

Balls you're too popular

• Upvote 18

cyoung6425    11

First of all congrats on the top Tina Fey. However i have a question. Did you really feel that 3 of each hand was optimal? Any time i have played a deck with 3 of each hand, i have bricked a lot due to having an excess number of monsters in the opening hand. 

Here's your top 4 Des Moines Gear deck : http://i.imgur.com/Go4Zzj9.png

Brandon Ball and I put it together as soon as we learned Auger would be TCG legal for the event. 

Spoiler:  From what I'm reading, you guys are way off with your gear-theory.

So happy to see gears top!  Just curious as to why you didn't use geargiano.  I always thought that floating gear gigants were good.

Hawkeye    365

Here's your top 4 Des Moines Gear deck : http://i.imgur.com/Go4Zzj9.png

Brandon Ball and I put it together as soon as we learned Auger would be TCG legal for the event. 

Spoiler:  From what I'm reading, you guys are way off with your gear-theory.

So happy to see gears top!  Just curious as to why you didn't use geargiano.  I always thought that floating gear gigants were good.

The days of floating GGX are over. Geargiano is an awful draw and the only reason it was ever playable at all was because it could be recruited from the deck as a lvl 4 machine via Geargiagear. I mean, I suppose the Accelerator/Giano loop is still a thing but the format is way too aggro for that to be a real strategy.

• Upvote 2

TINA FEY    700

To be succinct:

Four hands are underwhelming, don't do enough, and having two in hand means you can't push through boards.  Six clears boards.

Geargiano is bad.  I tried to convince RJ not to play it, RIP :( If you're playing the deck correclty, you're not just making GGX for the sake of having a GGX--I won several games vs. Dolls by just playing conservatively and beating them down without XYZing.  This being the case, it meant having Geargiano in the deck would have been contradictory.

• Upvote 1

Jurdinator    23

To be succinct:

Four hands are underwhelming, don't do enough, and having two in hand means you can't push through boards.  Six clears boards.

Geargiano is bad.  I tried to convince RJ not to play it, RIP :( If you're playing the deck correclty, you're not just making GGX for the sake of having a GGX--I won several games vs. Dolls by just playing conservatively and beating them down without XYZing.  This being the case, it meant having Geargiano in the deck would have been contradictory.

though with the 6 hands it'd seem like u'd have alotta cloggy hands, did that ever occur during the arg?

geargiano isnt horrible esp if ur playing gear box. opening auger+1-2 discard traps is incredibly good cause u just search out the geargiano and have it as discard outlet while making ggx a floater at the same time.

Strife    613

I'd much rather have Hands that can't search as opposed to running the risk of drawing stuff like Geargano or those discard traps without Auger. Just no point in adding potentially awkard cards when this deck is really one of the anti-meta picks nowadays, you have to be as streamlined as possible to win out.

• Upvote 1

TINA FEY    700

To be succinct:

though with the 6 hands it'd seem like u'd have alotta cloggy hands, did that ever occur during the arg?

geargiano isnt horrible esp if ur playing gear box. opening auger+1-2 discard traps is incredibly good cause u just search out the geargiano and have it as discard outlet while making ggx a floater at the same time.

I rarely monster clogged because even Armor set two is decent and then I have ice or fire hands to wall up or break what they put on board while drawing into traps.

I monster clogged game 2 of top 4 match (4 monsters, 1 Breakthrough Skill) and game 1 of my 3/4 match (4 monsters and Raigeki.) It was something we just happened would happen.  18/20 isn't an awful ratio, we weren't playing upstarts, and you can drop accels from hand so they aren't really that cloggy unless you draw them on their own.

edit: and to address the Geargiano/Box thing, playing both means you open one of them 25% of the time.  That's really awful.

Murt93    8

Congrats on the top Tina!

If you were to play again would you make any changes and do you think it would be worth it to play BoM? helps dodge veiler/fiendish/breakthrough and flips down winda? I know you had the hands and all but ignoring those would you consider it?

I haven't seen anyone mention the karakuri version(which I am currently playing), I feel that the karakuri version definitely has a much harder Shaddoll match up than any other variant but it has the ability to OTK with 2 cards and suits my playstyle more I guess I also main macro & soul drain atm. Is anyone else playing the karakuri version or does anyone have any an opinion on it?

On the topic of geargiano, i tried playing a minimalist engine geargiano x1, mk2x2, mk3 x1 & Geargiagear for the lulz so if you get mk3 & geargiano in your hand or grave and search/draw mk2 you can make XG when XG leaves the field you always get mk2 and next turn make XG again, I found that XG never really contributed to anything, it helped me to get win a few games with an pre-established board of karakuri's but I probably would have won anyway. It's not worth the inconsistencies that the geargiano's bring and you'll mostly need your searches for something better anyway. I regularly topdecked a dead geargiagear too.

• Upvote 1

TINA FEY    700

I considered Book of Moon but it seemed underwhelming.  I didn't see Winda often, I saw Constructs, and book doesn't help against that. The cutest application of book is flipping your XYZ down when they Shaddoll Fusion. It's a card I (and Brandon) considered, and it's something we'll consider going forward (especially considering how many games we lost to trap stun,) but for this tournament, we thought it'd be underwhelming.  There were some things that were not-so-good that I will be changing going forward, but I can't get into those with Chicago in a month. I think I'd rather the gear-hype subsides so I stop playing against my deck in DN rated -___-; 

• Upvote 3

deck seems trash come NECH, I just don't see what it can do against qlips, has no power plays and drain kills it, so it will be a fun 2-3 weeks before getting stomped back to tier 248 status, but seemed a nice call for the time, dunno what it will do in ycs london.

edit - nothing.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Murt93    8

I considered Book of Moon but it seemed underwhelming.  I didn't see Winda often, I saw Constructs, and book doesn't help against that. The cutest application of book is flipping your XYZ down when they Shaddoll Fusion. It's a card I (and Brandon) considered, and it's something we'll consider going forward (especially considering how many games we lost to trap stun,) but for this tournament, we thought it'd be underwhelming.  There were some things that were not-so-good that I will be changing going forward, but I can't get into those with Chicago in a month. I think I'd rather the gear-hype subsides so I stop playing against my deck in DN rated -___-; 

I guess the conclusion there is that your meta is a little different than mine, I tend to see Winda a lot more than construct, or maybe it only feels like that because I lose if I don't have an out xD 

Anyway goodluck with Chicago and let us know how you get on if you decide to play geargia at it!

┬╗Noelle    5848
I've been playing this deck quite a bit on the DN ladder in the past week and here are some notes I've come across:

Maining Shadow Mirror

5dba71d59d4edda1e9020a479ca63c63.png

I am 100% of maining all 3 copies. Shaddoll and Burning abyss take up a high majority of the field and, unanswered, this tends to create an autowin against them. Even in the case of the third most popular deck, Satellarknight (which is still quite a landslide down in popularity from Shaddoll and Burning Abyss,) the same interaction with Shadow Mirror actually being good game one against the deck has came up several times in my testing (albeit you're still siding all of them out anyways, obviously.) The situation is where you have a face-up hand and they Altair. Obviously it's going to be either Castell or Corn; and with Mirror not part of the equation Corn is obviously better and that makes your otherwise-dead Shadow Mirror useful. Of course this might be a mistake on their end because of the popularity of Shadow Mirror (thus making Castell over it when they have a read on a dead backrow of mine may be correct,) it is still an interaction that has come up several times nonetheless.

Maining Hands

f346721b6dd5b2a02211241712261f7a.png

I agree with Sean/Brandon that Hands are what the deck is missing. While they're not always the greatest against floaters; BA Alucarding Hands has been a blow-out so far. Another one is Fire hand killing Mathematician in BA or Dolls so they do not get the draw. They're also not bad against the LS or Artifact variant: Hands are just inherently strong against Artifacts, and they can deal with floating Raidens. Another great interaction is they don't really have an issue with Vanity at all; if anything Ice Hand beats it. Lastly; they equate to a ton of autowins against decks other than BA or Dolls too (which has also come up a lot) due to the time-old paradox of your set being a Hand or Armor. On how many to main, I originally had 5 but you actually just end up losing games to not having the 6th (the third Ice Hand,) so I think maining 6 Hands is best.

Post-NECH

8962d921f3cc82897eee8723fd5dfd6e.png

Unfortunately, I also agree with Ultimate Buffalo that this deck probably just won't be able to keep up with the power curve of the game come NECH and the dominant Machine strategy come then (it also is a factor that some will be siding Cyber Dragon to deal with Killer, even though I think, and many others do too, that Killer is awful for a plethora of reasons. Nonetheless, it will still be a card some side, along with System Down which may hurt the deck too.)

2 Puzzles

50e5851f0e4728cc511653c3b4e5648a.png

There have, however, been 2 situations in particular that I have not been sure the correct play. I was hoping you guys might be able to help here:

1. You're summoning a monster to kill your opponent. He has a backrow or two that have been there almost all game so you can probably read them as dead. You have a Geargia(rsenal) and a Fire Hand. It's game one and your opponent has not seen a Hand yet. You are aware summoning the Hand is the better play because it plays around slightly more cards (the right play in a vacuum.) However, this would let your opponent know about the Hands in your deck, even though they are popular where as they otherwise might not know at the cost of playing around a few less cards. Is the right play to summon the Arsenal to conserve some information, or summon the Hand because it is the better play?

2. This one is far more specific. It's late game in game 3 against Satellarknight. He has a full grave, as do you. You're both at topdecking, with 0 cards each. He starts, sets a backrow and passes. You draw Auger. his LP is 200 to your 3000ish. He has been through one Call of the Haunted this game, and you have not seen a Dimensional Prison from him throughout all three games. You have an Accelerator, among your last copies of other Geargias to search. Do you normal the Auger and attack for game into the backrow, or do you normal it and use the effect and make Gigant (thus giving him another turn?)

My Current List, for Reference

b78d07ca433b3fbb5f40ee67b5f90f01.png

Started with Sean's list, Giant Hand came up a lot so I threw that in and Cowboy has come up quite a lot too so I'm thinking about throwing that in as well. The side is Sean's, I might take out Dirge but I don't know what for, I haven't really fiddled with the side at all yet or gone that extensively in-depth with it. I did take out the Bottomless though because I don't think it's good this format. I couldn't find anything better to put in as the fourtieth so I just put in Upstart and have it at 39 right now (although I'm usually used to 37 and have been trying to incorperate 2 more.) Taking out traps for Upstarts obviously will comparatively lower your odds of seeing traps in exchange for a higher chance of seeing monsters (or your 2 real Spells,) this is because as opposed to when you draw the Upstart having been a trap 100% of the time, it is now only a trap x% of the time with x being the percentage of traps left in deck when you play it. I'm not quite sure if that trade-off is worth it yet, but I might not be looking at it quite right.

I also have some notes on the Geargiano cards along with more on the main deck and raigeki, I'll add when I get home.

That is all I have for now.
  • Upvote 7

Suuwo    647

1. Play the hand, most of the stuff that hurts the hands post side sucks really bad against gears. There's only a couple of choices in terms of what support engine you could be running (karakuri, hands, etc). It really depends on what outs are possible at that stage of the game.

2. I think I'd go for the killing blow. If he has call for altair, making ggx will end with you losing anyways as he searches for something off the revived deneb from altair. Castel + satellar will seal it if you only have 3kish.. All assuming you dont have something like geargiano to block a hit. Giving him a turn gives him the chance to draw into something like call, soul charge, altair (if he still has any), etc. If  the backrow is breakthrough or bottomless you're done you're in trouble, don't forget that.

Breakthrough on auger lets you attack nevermind

SQUIDS~    381
Also not to mention that you have nothing to gain other than topping an MST in the second situation, while they gain everything by having you play around it. If it's call you've lost either way, and if it's prison you still lose the tempo you would have had while giving them a chance to draw into a call or charge or something. In this situation it's probably worth the risk that they aren't running prison and just go for game. Additionally it'd be helpful if you stated how many cards each player has left, as well as graveyard content.

I've never even touced geargia so I'm not 100% sure that's the right play but it seems pretty straightforward.

What are peoples thoughts on the match up against qliphorts. Honestly i feel it will not be bad depending on your main deck choice. maybe im just over estimating its power but i feel "Time-Space Trap Hole" takes care of almost all of the problems with that match up, the problems that arent taken care of by space-time are taken care ok by mst. We are doing the same thing with shadow mirror right now. In testing of the card it honestly has solved my problems with the match up being the recur ability of the deck. although i honestly believe that Gears gain advantage alot better and faster.

What are peoples thoughts on the match up against qliphorts. Honestly i feel it will not be bad depending on your main deck choice. maybe im just over estimating its power but i feel "Time-Space Trap Hole" takes care of almost all of the problems with that match up, the problems that arent taken care of by space-time are taken care ok by mst. We are doing the same thing with shadow mirror right now. In testing of the card it honestly has solved my problems with the match up being the recur ability of the deck. although i honestly believe that Gears gain advantage alot better and faster.

If you have play tested against the deck then you would know that the deck doesn't explode and summon 3 of a pendulum summon. Instead you pendulum for one or two and then search spell and tribute for disk. Disk is the main card and since Space-Time doesn't do anything to the disk play than it is safe to say that the card is pretty irrelevant. Skill drain is also pretty real at 3
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Rahxen    14

I haven't played against qliphorts, but if they play 3 skill drain, and their main play is summon high attack monsters, the best way to beat them is the same way as we use to beat skill drain dragons: going into crazy box. From what I've seen, their highest attack monster under skill drain is 2800 atk, so crazy box can run over it.

Also the hands work under skill drain, which is nice. But we don't know if most qliphort build will be played like that, it might change. Remember the Pure artifact deck who turned into HAT when artifacts got released. Who knows.

wrw.chrono    155

I haven't played against qliphorts, but if they play 3 skill drain, and their main play is summon high attack monsters, the best way to beat them is the same way as we use to beat skill drain dragons: going into crazy box. From what I've seen, their highest attack monster under skill drain is 2800 atk, so crazy box can run over it.
Also the hands work under skill drain, which is nice. But we don't know if most qliphort build will be played like that, it might change. Remember the Pure artifact deck who turned into HAT when artifacts got released. Who knows.

Between the attack raising/lowering effects of their pendulum scales, the Qliphort that bounces a monster when tributed, and the attack raising trap and equip spell, Qliphorts will have plenty of outs to a Crazy Box.
  • Upvote 1

procards    17

can i summon geargiauger in mp2 and search and special summon accelerator and make gear gigant x? or only i can make geargiauger eff in mp1?