Aaron

learning japanese

Aaron    2057

does anyone here know japanese/has learnt it? 

I want to be able to play japanese video games and watch anime without relying so heavily on the subtitles..

any reccomendations for learning? online resources or books? I don't want to pay for lessons and i'm not interacting with people on a daily basis with japanese ever. after my exams (mid-june) i think i could dedicate around 2 hours a day to learning. possibly more tbh. 

I only know english ATM. very basic french, german . 

• Upvote 4

+rei+    34993
Pimsleur is good for conversational skills, not so good for reading anything
Good fucking luck reading kanji in any kind of short time, though hiragana and katakana are both fucking easy.

Plsnobully    776
I used Nama-sensei when I started off, it was fun - but he's not the best. Mainly because his characters are sloppy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZEA54VJEdE

And as weird as it sounds, 4chan has their Daily Japanese threads, and there is the text board with helpful links. The language is hard to pick up, but if you do lessons on it daily (I/e: beginning with Katakana reps) and you'll learn slowly through repetition.

The important thing, like learning any language is to keep trying at it and to notgive up even if nothing sticks.

Oh, and sorry for the lack of details - I'm on my phone at work.
  • Upvote 1

DarthChocoboz    292

I do it in school and my sensei is pretty bad so i learned everything for our textbook. You might be best off just buying a text book and learning like that although i have no idea how good online resources are. My books are Katakana Kantan (Easy Katakana), Hiragana Kantan (Easy Hiragana) and Nihongo Kantan (Easy Japanese)

Rei is right about kanji they're a dick

~ness00~    1013

Hiragana and Katakana are simple enough. You can learn those in a single weekend. There are millions of games, videos, flashcards, tutorials and anything you can imagine for free on the Internet for those. Pick whichever you find the most comfortable. Every Japanese course online out there starts with those.

(As for me, I used a shitty IRL book)

Once you know Hiragana and Katakana, use it to learn words you listen to. Anime uses a very bounded set of words most of the time, so every time you hear a word repeatedly, you should type it in Hiragana and look it up. There are plenty of good JP dictionaries. Rikaichan (Firefox app) is pretty glorious too.

You will mostly be looking up tutorials for sentence structures so you can fit those words you have learned.

Don't worry about stroke orders. You don't want to write. Don't think too hard about reading either unless you already know the words you are going to read. You didn't learn to read English before listening and speaking it.

Once you've mastered quite a few words and how to read them, get children-tier videogames in Japanese. They are all in Hiragana. People usually recommend Pokémon games, as they are pretty cool, and you can just play around them without reading a lot.

If you want to play a more serious game, you might need to learn about 2000 basic Kanji. It depends on how much of an asshole the creators are.

@textbooks: Some are pretty bad. Bad in a "they have fucking errors" way.

• Upvote 8

+rei+    34993
in highschool the text I had was "Japanese for busy people" - it was okay
  • Upvote 1

JackAtlas    469

I've been studying for about 5 years in it at college, and I safely say that you have to constantly keep some kind of motivation in it or you will forget it. Especially when it gets tougher, grammar patterns, sentence conjugation. But I can say it feels so rewarding when you actually are able to kind of piece words you don't know together, just knowing the basic meaning of two individual Kanji. 

Also, each time  you hear a new word, I definitely recommend that you take a note on it for later. Although all the words aren't used, it just helps at building your vocabulary. 

~Deadborder~    5156

Ness pretty much covered most of it

I learned hiragana and katakana when I was 12 and didn't take any formal classes until college

but I listened to a lot of stuff and watched a lot of shows which helped with pronunciation and random vocab

Start with a few basic kanji and grammar structures and keep at them or something. idk, it's hard for me to give advice since I try to look at a lot of Japanese stuff for things I'm interested in, like ocg stuff, pokemon doodads, manga, random wikipedia articles, recipes, etc. I also really like wordplay and Japanese has a lot of it.

but do keep at it or make sure you're exposed in some way every day. even a little bit helps.

• Upvote 1

iDunnoBro    822

I spend almost every day listening to 5+ hours of japanese music and/or streams/tv shows in addition to inconsistent study time, and have a pretty firm grasp on the spoken language. Unfortunately i was a retard because there is just so much more need to be able to read that shit in games that will never come here vs the extra 2 weeks max it takes for relevant anime to be translated.

Donnie    2189

I took a year in college, like ness said Hiragana and Katakana are easy, vocabulary is something you accumulate over time and practice. Kanjii is just bat shit crazy and I haven't the time for Furiganaless writing, in school they focus a lot on writing too which honestly not what I was looking for.

I will say taking beginners is the way to start, to learn basic structures, tenses, verbiage, etc, then teach yourself from there, watching anime/japanesetv is good way to keep your knowledge fresh, you'll start noticing a lot of phrases, and even see how things get lost in translation.

akageoffrey    26

I spend almost every day listening to 5+ hours of japanese music and/or streams/tv shows in addition to inconsistent study time, and have a pretty firm grasp on the spoken language. Unfortunately i was a retard because there is just so much more need to be able to read that shit in games that will never come here vs the extra 2 weeks max it takes for relevant anime to be translated.

This is one of the best ways to solidify your knowledge.  When I was learning Spanish I started watching novelas.  Really awkward at first, but as I started to pick things up it got a lot smoother.

And damn, those people be dramatic.

Azn_Boy    378

I took a semester of Japanese in college, I hated it because it required self-studying (memorizing) everyday when I had other, more important classes to worry about. I have hiragana memorized, but I forgot some katakana lol. But I've been watching j-dramas and variety shows since like 2007. I can't really speak the language but I can understand phrases and sentences most of the time.

I also can't really speak my native language (Vietnamese) but I understand it perfectly lol.

Nish    253

in highschool the text I had was "Japanese for busy people" - it was okay

I've only just started learning but I'm using this (borrowed the book from a friend who used to learn too) and it's not bad so far

Max    430

you barely know English :P <3!  if you find a program you want to go with, I'll be your study partner.  we can take the lessons together and Skype to practice.  my room mate is Japanese too so she could help a little.

Aaron    2057

oh man max how are you doing bro?? do you still play poker?

i remember the days we used to destroy ygo man.. wouldn't mind doing something over summer poker-related since i remember you being good before i left online gaming. 

Max    430

I don't really play any more as it's basically illegal in my state now.  I do want to learn Japanese though, and I'm just setting up a Skype account to talk to Wilson now.  are you on Skype ?

~NeoArkadia~    2794

Start with a few basic kanji and grammar structures and keep at them or something. idk, it's hard for me to give advice since I try to look at a lot of Japanese stuff for things I'm interested in, like ocg stuff, pokemon doodads, manga, random wikipedia articles, recipes, etc. I also really like wordplay and Japanese has a lot of it.

Get used to this and opening a dictionary a lot. For those of you who want to learn moon to read Japanese cards, it's pretty easy. Spend enough time and the sentences start making sense since card games in Japan, not unexpectedly, use a lot of repetitive terms and sentences in their texts.

(Also, I swear if Atem tries to make this into some sort of Org Initiative, I will eat him.)

»Pharaoh Atem    15772

Get used to this and opening a dictionary a lot. For those of you who want to learn moon to read Japanese cards, it's pretty easy. Spend enough time and the sentences start making sense since card games in Japan, not unexpectedly, use a lot of repetitive terms and sentences in their texts.

(Also, I swear if Atem tries to make this into some sort of Org Initiative, I will eat him.)

...damn it

we could've even converted Aaron and Suffridge into Nobodies

Nobodies based off of persons THAT ancient and crucial to old ygo would be EXTREMELY strong

• Upvote 1

+Silver    1012

I honestly want to learn it to the point I can speak it naturally but I feel i have to talk it everyday with another person than just by myself for it to be effective

~NettLEs~    73

Definitely agreed on classes. There's only so far you can go in a language without actual interaction.

der Koekje    48

Definitely agreed on classes. There's only so far you can go in a language without actual interaction.

That's true. Speaking, speaking, speaking. 

If you want to self-teach it, you'll need so much motivation to just go about it day after day and keep at it. If you want to go the self-help route though, ask yourself if it's really worth learning it as a skill. You could be spending that time (it will be a lot of hours for even basic communication skills written and spoken) learning a perhaps more useful skill for yourself or your career. Who says you'll still be playing Japanese video games and watching anime and say 5 years?

ggggg    3612

there was this 1 cute girl i knew who studied japanese along with business. she was rly cute and lives in tokyo now. she liked hotdogs, french guys, and being annoyingly boring.

moral of the story, don't be a fucking weaboo.