Slashtap

NAWCQ 2014

86 posts in this topic

dyu9lk.jpg

I died at "General M(a)o"

Ok now let me talk about the competitors.  I spent the entire day talking to people (I'll get to this in a sec cause it's moderately relevant), so I actually didn't watch any of top cut.  With that said, I'm not entirely sure who all made what place outside of the people I know personally.  I know Jimmy made it to worlds, and I just want to say that's unfortunate because he's a degenerate and a savage.  I never involve myself in Yugioh drama but I think sometimes I just need to speak up.  For instance, when Josh Graham came out with his $90 Yugioh lessons thing, I tried to play the neutral zone and not stir up any controversy.  But in hindsight, that just wasn't good of me.  I knew from previous experience that Josh scams, and I should have just flat out said that in order to help people who were considering buying his product.  Instead, I didn't say much, mostly just made fun of the advertisement.  Consequently, Josh probably made some good money off his Yugioh lessons with the swift takedowns and penis enlargement promises and what have you.  I apologize to dgz for not clearly explaining why that thing was a scam when I had the chance.  I'm writing a book on Yugioh and it's free.  Pat is going to start writing a book also and he'll probably not charge since ARG pays.  So there's that.  Now that I've learned my lesson on neutrality from the Josh thing, if it comes at the risk of causing drama, I'm going to bring up that Jimmy is a savage.  He topped a few regs this year, one of them with Infernity.  He tried to activate set cards the turn he set them against a number of players.  Scott says Jimmy just gets nervous and misplays, but that is not the kind of misplay you do more than once.  I don't trust that kid at all and honestly would root for another country before rooting for him to win as our representative.  He also pretends to be Scott Page on DN, which is creepy in itself.  Like he literally held a conversation with me as "Scott" and talked about himself in third person, "Jimmy."  In high school I knew this girl who made a fake AOL account to pose as this girl who was supposed to be her friend.  This creeper instead would message people and say things like, "I wish I was pretty as (creeper's name)" to make herself look better.  It was vile.  Jimmy reminds me of that.  Like if you asked me before the event the five people I wouldn't want at worlds, he'd be in there, along with like Sean Coovert, Roy, etc.

Your article, while lengthy, made some very valid points, especially within the DGZ community. Nevertheless, many comments and opinions you made were completely off-topic and illogical. I feel as if your hate for Jimmy is unwarranted and unnecessary. I am all for bashing Infernity players, as my history has shown, nevertheless Jimmy went on to top other events with other decks like HAT and Fire Fists. I've been told that you was caught yelling at him during Houston regionals while he was winning the event. A educated man in his mid-late 20's yelling at a kid. Any grown man who is self-upholding can agree that those actions are much more "Savage and Degenerate" and shameful on himself than anything you have proposed. I have no clue who are, but your malice towards Jimmy Nguyen is misguided and incorrect.

He was not loud, cocky nor belligerent during his successful WCQ run. He was humble, quiet, kind, focused and assertive. Qualities many of the people you cited does not exhibit, obtain or exude. And as far as the Dueling Network thing. Many players on DN and from Dallas has done the same thing. It is a running joke at our locals and regionals and are not to be taken seriously. I am sure Jimmy or Scott or whoever would apologize if you felt sheepish and taken advantage of Johnny. Also, to dare compare him Coovert or St. Clair is completely over-the-top and plainly deplorable and woeful.

Lastly, the example you gave about some disturbed girl from your school was not only somewhat frivolous and incorrectly applied to the scenario, but irrelevant and ineffective. Maybe you should consider rallying behind a local success instead of seeming like a classic example of a overachiever suffering from narcissism and "crab mentality". And if you do want to argue, please use solid backing from either logical, ethical or emotional support and/or proof next time.

how many "thesaurus" google searches did it take you to make that post

2 searches.
Johnny's hate is completely uncalled for.. it is best to let records speak for themselves.

Ok now let me talk about the competitors.  I spent the entire day talking to people (I'll get to this in a sec cause it's moderately relevant), so I actually didn't watch any of top cut.  With that said, I'm not entirely sure who all made what place outside of the people I know personally.  I know Jimmy made it to worlds, and I just want to say that's unfortunate because he's a degenerate and a savage.  I never involve myself in Yugioh drama but I think sometimes I just need to speak up.  For instance, when Josh Graham came out with his $90 Yugioh lessons thing, I tried to play the neutral zone and not stir up any controversy.  But in hindsight, that just wasn't good of me.  I knew from previous experience that Josh scams, and I should have just flat out said that in order to help people who were considering buying his product.  Instead, I didn't say much, mostly just made fun of the advertisement.  Consequently, Josh probably made some good money off his Yugioh lessons with the swift takedowns and penis enlargement promises and what have you.  I apologize to dgz for not clearly explaining why that thing was a scam when I had the chance.  I'm writing a book on Yugioh and it's free.  Pat is going to start writing a book also and he'll probably not charge since ARG pays.  So there's that.  Now that I've learned my lesson on neutrality from the Josh thing, if it comes at the risk of causing drama, I'm going to bring up that Jimmy is a savage.  He topped a few regs this year, one of them with Infernity.  He tried to activate set cards the turn he set them against a number of players.  Scott says Jimmy just gets nervous and misplays, but that is not the kind of misplay you do more than once.  I don't trust that kid at all and honestly would root for another country before rooting for him to win as our representative.  He also pretends to be Scott Page on DN, which is creepy in itself.  Like he literally held a conversation with me as "Scott" and talked about himself in third person, "Jimmy."  In high school I knew this girl who made a fake AOL account to pose as this girl who was supposed to be her friend.  This creeper instead would message people and say things like, "I wish I was pretty as (creeper's name)" to make herself look better.  It was vile.  Jimmy reminds me of that.  Like if you asked me before the event the five people I wouldn't want at worlds, he'd be in there, along with like Sean Coovert, Roy, etc.

Your article, while lengthy, made some very valid points, especially within the DGZ community. Nevertheless, many comments and opinions you made were completely off-topic and illogical. I feel as if your hate for Jimmy is unwarranted and unnecessary. I am all for bashing Infernity players, as my history has shown, nevertheless Jimmy went on to top other events with other decks like HAT and Fire Fists. I've been told that you was caught yelling at him during Houston regionals while he was winning the event. A educated man in his mid-late 20's yelling at a kid. Any grown man who is self-upholding can agree that those actions are much more "Savage and Degenerate" and shameful on himself than anything you have proposed. I have no clue who are, but your malice towards Jimmy Nguyen is misguided and incorrect.

He was not loud, cocky nor belligerent during his successful WCQ run. He was humble, quiet, kind, focused and assertive. Qualities many of the people you cited does not exhibit, obtain or exude. And as far as the Dueling Network thing. Many players on DN and from Dallas has done the same thing. It is a running joke at our locals and regionals and are not to be taken seriously. I am sure Jimmy or Scott or whoever would apologize if you felt sheepish and taken advantage of Johnny. Also, to dare compare him Coovert or St. Clair is completely over-the-top and plainly deplorable and woeful.

Lastly, the example you gave about some disturbed girl from your school was not only somewhat frivolous and incorrectly applied to the scenario, but irrelevant and ineffective. Maybe you should consider rallying behind a local success instead of seeming like a classic example of a overachiever suffering from narcissism and "crab mentality". And if you do want to argue, please use solid backing from either logical, ethical or emotional support and/or proof next time.

Ah yes... shallow and pedantic

can we get rid of this guy already

Speaking as someone that knows Scott and Jimmy, it's a running joke that a lot of people have accounts named after eachother in Dallas. We were probably in Skype together when whatever you're talking about happened.

Not gonna comment on anything about cheating, though. I don't know anything about it one way or another.

Okay so sorry for hijacking this thread, making this super long post, etc but if there's any OP that'll forgive me for something like this, it's you Johnny... thanks.

Here goes:

Donnell,

What you’ve heard comes from Jimmy’s friends giving you a biased view of what happened, from people who are known to exaggerate. I’m not saying Johnny isn’t biased but he’s not describing something on an intangible scale of “raising his voice” to “berating a child”, rather he’s claiming to have seen something. Binary 0 or 1; yes or no. Then, yes, he made an assertion based on seeing something multiple times. I do think that calling somebody out for cheating is also an acceptable thing to do. Perhaps he missed out on the mature way of doing it, sure. But even adults mess up all the time.

You’re the same age as Johnny and you’ve done actual physical damage to people at the card shop. Furthermore you’re a grown man who very vocally idolizes another person for playing card games.

Let’s be clear: You can call Jimmy a “kid” if you want but if he’s guilty—none of us have any doubt that he understands what he was doing is wrong. Furthermore, if you DO know he’s done wrong then everybody that’s congratulating him? You’re only reinforcing that this “child” continue doing this negative behavior.

Furthermore, you yourself have admitted to doing the same kind of cheating, it could be argued, in the Deck Discussion not too long ago:

http://duelistgroundz.com/index.php?showtopic=159495&page=11#entry3759322

Going to paste here in case you attempt any revisionist history:

Not to say the guy was terrible or cheating, but when I played him in round 7 and beat him his deck did brick on him because be was running shroom and not bandit. The two games we played bandit would have been better in all three scenarios. I also watched him earlier in the day and he was trying to tribute a sylvan for Lonefire then SS a Sage from hand from the Lonefire tribute.. So I'm honestly not sure how many times he did this without being said something to.

Oh. I was trying to get away with murder at that point.   :)

It’s B.S., man. Why do you think I gave you blank stares when you would try to tell me about your “success” with the Sylvan deck? YOU CHEATED. YOU’RE A CHEATER. IT DOESN’T COUNT. You’re not a “grown man”. You’re an overgrown kid playing children’s card games seeking the adoration of other children.

And because you’re not willing to do the work to actually get good at the game—you cheat.

That’s not legit. It’s NOT a good example to all of the actual kids that go to the shop or (for whatever reason) watch your channel.

I’ve said it before and I’m going to say it again: I wouldn’t want my children to play this game.

Look Donnell: You aren’t even bad, as compared to so many of the other people in this game. But that doesn’t make you a good example. Like, I don’t think you’re a bad person where there are MANY people in this game that are actually just EVIL (you’re actually a nice dude). Nobody in DFW really is genuinely “bad” (and that makes me even more scared about the idea of kids playing this game lol). But far, far too many of you are misguided... and THAT'S what I'm trying to get at:

Most of you value having recognition from others more than the feeling of knowing you’ve improved as a duelist. That’s the attitude that drives a person to cheat. It’s the attitude that makes people value other things over knowing you’ve improved as a PERSON. Habits in YGO slowly turn into habits in life and vice-versa. Encourage/set the example for a kid to cheat and he's going to be more likely to do so in school, etc.

Like, damn guys. It’s time for a wake-up call.

Being on Legacy doesn’t mean shit. Neither does beating them. Stop.

Respect what they’ve done within the game. But know repeating their success in YGO doesn’t make you successful in life.

I’m not sure if Poker is going to work out for Adrian (but good luck, man, so far so good from the sound of it), but every now and then he's made posts on Facebook about doing/being something special in life. Notice his posts imply his journey’s only beginning. He knows a few tops in Yu-Gi-Oh doesn’t mean anything. That’s perspective.

Everybody needs to begin to value self-improvement over what some kids at the card shop think. That goes for Epik, DFW and anybody reading this thread.

For me? It’s me vs. my opponent and their luck. How much better can I be than they are lucky? It’s a challenge of continuous self-improvement that remains stimulating due to the influx of new cards and new F&L lists. It's a way to "work out my brain after work". That’s where the fun is.

But all I ever see when I go to locals is people who want to best each other. It’s all about bragging rights; recognition. There’s no self-improvement. More talk than testing for many. Even the testing is often just mindless playing of cards rather than a true reflection on what could've/should've been done, etc

Taylor Wallace: I really hope you can be one of the people to actually take this message, as coming from me (somebody who everybody else at Epik sees as “not really one of the group”... even David’s never asked me to be in the Epik HOF) idk how effective it's actually going to be. But you? It took you being a massive retard to see you were messing up but if you stayed true to your word, and didn’t just pretend to “change” as a vain attempt to get something back, you understand what it means to become a better you… you know that’s far more rewarding than what you were doing before. But you also understand that, no, it’s not easy, and that it’s a continuous process. It means being an adult and I feel like far too many of the people who play are old enough to be adults but still chose to be children because they’re afraid. Help them get the courage to do it, man.

Anyway, back to Jimmy:

I haven’t seen anything myself from, so I’ll withhold final reservation. But there are obviously rumors. Then there’s what I’ve actually seen: I can’t say I’ve seen him play much (since he typically uses win/lose combo decks rather than ones that interact with the opponent) but card choices are sometimes questionable and come without much theory, as evidenced by the quality of his posts:

Randy Jr From Ep&Cards

See: “Reputation” and “Topics” (remember those are THREADS he created)

Even if Jimmy doesn't cheat, that's not acceptable posting/theory. Really they're just lazy and selfish more than anything. Half-effort attempt at asking a question, without any real input of his own, wanting to hear the in-depth reasoning from everybody else. All take, no give. Definitely not cool.

Based on everything I've seen and heard? I'm afraid to give you too many props, man. Clearly, cheating or no cheating, you made it to Worlds so you're not the average Joe. That means you have potential and it goes back to what I said earlier: If I don't think you're doing it the right way and I congratulate you on doing it the wrong way? That's reinforcing the wrong habits. And to reinforce that means saying it's okay to approach life that way and that's not okay with me. Especially if you have potential to do something with your life that's actually meaningful.

Quit trash-talking guys. You all aren't just joking; you're "joking". Stop trying to tear each other down. Start trying to build each other up. Both as duelists and, more importantly, as people. 

And no, ^I'm not trash-talking Jimmy. I'm being honest about the issues I've seen. Maybe I'm just wrong and it's fine if he wants to ignore that. In fact: PLEASE IGNORE IT... until after Worlds. That's important, man. It takes time/focus and you shouldn't be dealing with this until after that. But if any of the above was true and rung a bell (and perhaps only you know the true answer to that, Jimmy), then read this post a few times over. Self-improvement, honesty > what peers say/think, dishonesty. Be driven from within; don't let others drive you.

PS. I know how the Epik page works. Somebody’s going to take this out of context. Yeah, this is supposed to create a stir. But there’s more to the message that the one or two sentences you’re going to copy and paste and by doing so, you’re only taking away from that. I don’t really know what else to say other than you’re messing up, man. imo This is an important message that I hope people actually take to heart.

While your post is directed at DFW players, there is actually a lot to take from it regardless of where you live. (Probably even moreso in places like SoCal or NY.)

I think your point of view is a very healthy way of approaching Yu-Gi-Oh!, as well as very sportsmanlike. Everything someone does should definitely be all about self-improvement rather than recognition. And while I personally still find some importance in recognition, I definitely hold being a person of integrity more. And I wish more duelists could/would do the same.

Everybody needs to begin to value self-improvement over what some kids at the card shop think. That goes for Epik, DFW and anybody reading this thread.

For me? It’s me vs. my opponent and their luck. How much better can I be than they are lucky? It’s a challenge of continuous self-improvement that remains stimulating due to the influx of new cards and new F&L lists. It's a way to "work out my brain after work". That’s where the fun is.

But all I ever see when I go to locals is people who want to best each other. It’s all about bragging rights; recognition. There’s no self-improvement. More talk than testing for many. Even the testing is often just mindless playing of cards rather than a true reflection on what could've/should've been done, etc

For reference, this is specifically what I am referring to. I'm not sure who Jimmy is.

Jimmy Nguyen is a DFW player who top 4'd nationals.

I can firmly say without a shadow of a doubt that Sam and Johnny are the two best theorists I have ever met in this game. 

Donnell,

What you’ve heard comes from Jimmy’s friends giving you a biased view of what happened, from people who are known to exaggerate. I’m not saying Johnny isn’t biased but he’s not describing something on an intangible scale of “raising his voice” to “berating a child”, rather he’s claiming to have seen something. Binary 0 or 1; yes or no. Then, yes, he made an assertion based on seeing something multiple times. I do think that calling somebody out for cheating is also an acceptable thing to do. Perhaps he missed out on the mature way of doing it, sure. But even adults mess up all the time.

You’re the same age as Johnny and you’ve done actual physical damage to people at the card shop. Furthermore you’re a grown man who very vocally idolizes another person for playing card games.

Let’s be clear: You can call Jimmy a “kid” if you want but if he’s guilty—none of us have any doubt that he understands what he was doing is wrong. Furthermore, if you DO know he’s done wrong then everybody that’s congratulating him? You’re only reinforcing that this “child” continue doing this negative behavior.

Furthermore, you yourself have admitted to doing the same kind of cheating, it could be argued, in the Deck Discussion not too long ago:

http://duelistgroundz.com/index.php?showtopic=159495&page=11#entry3759322

Going to paste here in case you attempt any revisionist history:

Not to say the guy was terrible or cheating, but when I played him in round 7 and beat him his deck did brick on him because be was running shroom and not bandit. The two games we played bandit would have been better in all three scenarios. I also watched him earlier in the day and he was trying to tribute a sylvan for Lonefire then SS a Sage from hand from the Lonefire tribute.. So I'm honestly not sure how many times he did this without being said something to.

Oh. I was trying to get away with murder at that point.   :)

It’s B.S., man. Why do you think I gave you blank stares when you would try to tell me about your “success” with the Sylvan deck? YOU CHEATED. YOU’RE A CHEATER. IT DOESN’T COUNT. You’re not a “grown man”. You’re an overgrown kid playing children’s card games seeking the adoration of other children.

And because you’re not willing to do the work to actually get good at the game—you cheat.

That’s not legit. It’s NOT a good example to all of the actual kids that go to the shop or (for whatever reason) watch your channel.

I’ve said it before and I’m going to say it again: I wouldn’t want my children to play this game.

Look Donnell: You aren’t even bad, as compared to so many of the other people in this game. But that doesn’t make you a good example. Like, I don’t think you’re a bad person where there are MANY people in this game that are actually just EVIL (you’re actually a nice dude). Nobody in DFW really is genuinely “bad” (and that makes me even more scared about the idea of kids playing this game lol). But far, far too many of you are misguided... and THAT'S what I'm trying to get at:

Most of you value having recognition from others more than the feeling of knowing you’ve improved as a duelist. That’s the attitude that drives a person to cheat. It’s the attitude that makes people value other things over knowing you’ve improved as a PERSON. Habits in YGO slowly turn into habits in life and vice-versa. Encourage/set the example for a kid to cheat and he's going to be more likely to do so in school, etc.

Like, damn guys. It’s time for a wake-up call.

Respect what they’ve done within the game. But know repeating their success in YGO doesn’t make you successful in life.

I’m not sure if Poker is going to work out for Adrian (but good luck, man, so far so good from the sound of it), but every now and then he's made posts on Facebook about doing/being something special in life. Notice his posts imply his journey’s only beginning. He knows a few tops in Yu-Gi-Oh doesn’t mean anything. That’s perspective.

I also had a very negative view on Jimmy at first. I felt as if he was cheating and he was a "shady" character. I was also upset because he was using Infernity, which isn't justified honestly. Later, once I got to know Jimmy and once he began to be uninfluenced by bad cheaters that we have locally, I began to apologize. Jimmy, later just began to improve and I eventually apologized for the accusations I was making. Many people have apologized to Jimmy, WAY before his recent success because he had a bad first impression. I can understand how Johnny can view him negatively, since i also originally did the same.

Samuel,
even though I have a history of fighting in Yugioh card shops, i never tried to portray myself as a "Example" Yugioh player as you previously stated. Everyone makes mistakes and I was not proud of my attitude that day. I apologized to who I beat up and we are great friends to this day. That is what this thread is about right? Growing, accepting responsibility of your actions, making no excuses and finding more success in life. In reference to cheating, Many people cheat in this game, but I have never used it as an excuse for not improving yourself or your skills as an individual or as a person. I am MUCH, Much more honest than most Yugioh players and I admit to when I try and get away with cheating. It is very prevalent in our game sadly, especially amongst the pros and many of your friends, nevertheless it happens. I do not standby my actions of the past. I believe in karma and accepting the mistake you have made, as Johnny explained earlier. "It is your own fault if you do not do good enough".

I am not positively reinforcing Jimmy's cheating, if he ever did it. I am supporting positively reinforcing his success and growth as a player. I am a grown man as you are, we both play this "children card game" who is heavily played by adults. You said it yourself "I would not want my kids playing this game". I agree, at least not until they are in their mid to late teens. Kids are almost always victimized in this game, especially in competition and shops. So the fact you still refer to Yugioh, especially competitive Yugioh as a "Children's" card game in misdefined, but you have a right to your opinion. This game is NOT for kids and hasn't been for almost a decade in my opinion. Also, I do not seek the adoration of children nor do I care about my own self-promotion. I let people know where they can reach me, if they want to know my opinion on things and ideals.
Sam, you make great points in reference to Legacy and what they have done, but you seem to misunderstand the point. Everyone has their own qualities in life and goals. Some people keep reaching for their goals in the best way possible for them. Some people give up on their goals, in life and in yugioh, and move on to other things..... For you to judge other priorities and goals and saying they are in not good enough or acting like an "overgrown child" is simply terrible.

We do not need to tear each other down or try to best each other, we need to try to grow, improve and find success. In the game AND in Life. Since I graduating in a few weeks. I have been reflecting on myself a lot lately and making some final decisions.
Like you said before.
"Everybody needs to begin to value self-improvement over what some kids at the card shop or DGZ think."

I couldnt agree more!!
BTW Samuel. you always give everyone blank stares, so I would never be able to read you either way, since your so monotone, nor would I expect a miraculous response.

One thing that I don't think you mentioned is: Variane

Every card game has variance, but it is shown on a wider scale especially in such a diverse format. One cannot decide an opening hand, and if the opponent has all the answers or opens amazing, there is not much one can do about it. Someone told me a long time ago, Yugioh is 1/3 Luck, 1/3 Skill, & 1/3 Deck. Luck is a huge factor that I think you are dismissing, and the deck choices. I think you mentioned rouge accounts for only 0.5%, but rouge this format is around ~10%-15% if you take the statistics from the European WCQ.

The same goes for mirror matches especially, whoever goes first or whoever draws better usually wins. The skill is deciding when to play what card, and when to save what card for what time, but even those can be non-factors when playing someone of equal or greater skill.

On Dark Hole/Mind Control. Those are generic outs, and generally good throughout the duel. HAT mirror is grindy, so a well-timed Dark Hole/Mind Control for XYZ can put you ahead and flat out win the match. I don't see how it can be a bad choice to keep in such a crucial game (The Finals).

No sir.  There is so much flat out incorrect about what you've said.  Variance is an excuse for individual games (and even then only when you've played to perfection), not entire tournament results.  In a diverse format, you first identify which deck is out of equilibrium.  For this event, it was Sylvan.  Rock was played in something like 80%, therefore it was objectively correct to choose Paper.  One cannot decide an opening hand in the most literal sense only, which is to choose the five exact cards that appear.  This statement, however true, is redundant and meaningless.  You test and construct your deck correctly and "math it out" such that your opening hands will match or beat your opponent's opening hands by the largest margin you can enforce.  If the opponent has all the answers and opens amazing, then you've lost one game.  This absurd level of variance does not take place twice in the same match usually.  If it does, then you can BEGIN considering it a bad beat.  If it happens to you three times before round 11 is over, then you cannot attribute this to bad beats.  You have constructed your deck incorrectly, played incorrectly (surprise, there is such thing as beating developed boards and autowins), etc.  There is absolutely SO much you can do about it.  Most of it takes place before you register, which creates the ILLUSION that you could "do nothing about it."

I don't know who said the 1/3 1/3 1/3 thing but these kinds of meaningless mantras achieve nothing but the placation of players who would like to think they cannot improve their results.  The idea doesn't even make sense to begin with.  What does it mean?  1/3 of the time luck is going on, 1/3 of the time skill, and 1/3 of the time deck?  Obviously not.  A turn doesn't progress through stages like this.  There is always a combination of all three taking place.  So what, then?  The division of effort or time?  That isn't correct either.  You don't spend 1/3 of your time practicing technical play and 1/3 of your time thinking about your deck list.  Your technical play allows you to determine optimal card choices.  It isn't even possible to separate the three into distinct elements.  You construct your deck to reduce the luck factor.  They are not three equal forces.  If your hand "couldn't do anything" against your opponent's, it still cannot be called variance unless you objectively chose the correct deck.  Otherwise, your hand being unplayable may very well be a choice you made and just didn't realize, that choice being when you wrote down specific names in your deck list.

The next statement simply exhibits poor reading comprehension.  I never said rogue was .5%, I said the deck that happens to counter mine was less than .5%.  Rogue is 16.4%, and that has nothing to do with variance.  You take rogue into account when you build a deck.  My deck counters backrow decks, as is the nature of combo vs. permission, and just naturally has upwards of a 90% win probability against at least a two-thirds chunk of that 16.4%.  However, there are a few strategies that counter Sylvans.  For argument's sake, let's say there are only two, like the ones I've deduced, and they comprise a 2.5% chunk of hat 16.4%.  This, naturally, suggests that Sylvan is a great choice for the event.  There is no deck that leaves 0% uncovered in a diverse format.  2.5% is an amazing deal.  Consider LSR, for instance.  If you play that, you have 16% Geargia 4% Sylvan alone - at least a 20% chunk of unfavorability.  You simply choose a deck that gets that closer to 0.

I don't think I even want to touch the next thing you said.  It's so far from the truth that I think it would take not one answer, but layers and layers of fundamentals to tease apart all that is wrong with this statement.

Dark Hole is an incredibly awful choice in the HAT mirror lol.  They didn't play MC at all, which I pointed out as an error on both their parts.  There are far far too many cards that are better than Dark Hole in the mirror.  There is just no justification for what they did, as it is very unlikely that not a single one of the 15 cards left in the side was better than Hole.  Show me their main and side and I will tell you how they should have sided for the mirror.

You haven't merely said incorrect things here and there; the entirety of your philosophy is twisted and skewed.  I can identify concrete things I could have done before and/or during each premier event I didn't top this year that would have all but ensured my spot in the box.  You simply cannot convince me that variance is as powerful a force as "1/3" when both Pat and I are unable to identify a single failed top that actually was just a result of luck.  He and I and others in the community are identifying our mistakes constantly.  One of the most detrimental mistakes you can make is to think there aren't any just because you don't see them.  Did you see how subtle Pat's plays were in the OP?  If he had gotten his first warning repealed, he could have counted his Sylvans more carefully in top 16, and potentially made it to worlds.  Playing around warning (the penalty, not the Solemn) is the definition of subtlety.  If you don't look for these tiny things, then you start seeing only variance.  That's when it becomes easy to start talking about lucksacking.  Think about it: for it to be actually true that you didn't top a premier due to variance suggests that you are playing at a level that surpasses Pat.  Unlikely.

First off, I was just making generalizations, and when I said Variance, it covers more than I mentioned such as deck selection, card selection, skill, outside factors, mindset of the player, luck, ect... Variance does exist, and I would have a hard time believing that some players @ the NA WCQ did not experience some kind of variance. You mentioned that Variance can affect one match, but unlikely the next which I will disagree with. One can walk into an event, play perfectly and play the best deck, but still not top, and I strongly assume that has happened this weekend. Variance all adds up, and even if it's slightly, it affects the entire outcome. I am not using Variance as an excuse, but it's just a realistic hidden power that exists especially in card games.

If you say compare Yugioh NA WCQ to the largest fighting game tournament in the world such as EVO which just happened this weekend. Yugioh shows signs off MUCH greater variance than a fighting game. The top 8 in Melee in particular showed incredible amounts of consistency. The 5 "Gods" in the game: Mango, Hungrybox, Armada, M2K, & PPMD all placed within the top 5 in the bracket. The 3 "Gods" of Marvel vs Capcom placed top 3 in bracket as well: Justin Wong, ChrisG, Filipino Champ. If the NA WCQ was replayed over again, I am 100% positive that the results would be different. The same could not be said in yugioh for the fighting games I mentioned because last year the same players literally placed within the the top 8 the previous year.

The 1/3 Skill/Luck/Deck is another generalization, and has nothing to do with making excuses about being unable to improve results.  I know you work really hard at this game, and I truly respect you, but Yugioh is not a math equation. One can play the perfect deck, have the perfect tech choices, play perfectly, and still not win an event. I believe this to be a factor of variance. The winner Korey McDuffie is a very intelligent person, and has been on & off yugioh for years. He played a solid deck with solid matchups. HATs can just play is safe, summon/set a monster pass, and play comfortably. Combo decks have to worry about b.row and if this card works at this time, side-deck cards, yadyayda. According to your logic, did he play the best deck? No...so does that automatically exclude him from making a wise-choice? It's not always about the best deck. The best deck might give you the best chances of winning and doing well, but that does not always happen, and I'm guessing that's what happened to you, and probably other DGZers. Another part of variance is player skill and "mindgames" which I rarely see talked about here. It's an underlying aspect that makes the top players of this game the best. It's very underated, and I've heard how Korey used mindgames in his top 64 matches to get his wins. 

I don't think Sylvans are quite out of the equilibrium that you mentioned either. The deck loses to backrow & HATs going second, unless you draw a copy or two of your 6 reborn cards. Playing Kuribandit/Lonefire, then getting Sanctum'd, Miracle Fertilizer getting Ignition'd, the trees getting bottomless'd/knightmare'd/torrential'd, XYZ's Black Horn'd, ect...but many things can go wrong, and you will soon not be able to keep up once you stop drawing your reborn cards/lose too much life. Sylvans can draw bad too, which you experienced in your tournament report. The deck is really powerful, but not as consistent as you make it out to be. 150 matches is not a lot of testing tbh especially for a national event. It's a really good amount, and your effort in collecting data is noted, but I've seen people grind more games on DN + IRL together, and that is not enough, so maybe you didn't practice enough to fine tune all of the kinks in your deck.

Whoever asked for the Euro WCQ list: https://tcg.konami-europe.com/coverage/metagame-breakdown/  Rogue was roughly 16.4%(173/1057) of the meta @ the WCQ, and I imagine it to be similar for the NA WCQ.

On the contrary, Yu-Gi-Oh is a math equation. The answer your looking for just isn't what you think it is. You're looking for a zero-sum equation where it all adds to 100 and 100 means that you top (win) the event. If in actuality 100 is doing everything right, it is the number that gives you a better chance of winning the event than any other number. 

Perfect deck + Perfect Play = 100, Best chance of winning an event

I'd like to first congratulate my friend Korey McDuffie on becoming the 2014 North American Champion. I wish him the absolute best luck at Worlds and I know that he'll represent us well. That being said, the bellow example that uses Korey, HAT, and Sylvans doesn't just pertain to this one event. It could be any player and any two decks of the format. Using Korey's performance as an example just helps keep the following hypothetical down to earth and understandable and avoids us playing a game of alphabet soup. 

You say does playing something other than the perfect deck make his choice not a wise choice? Well, to be completely honest, yes. Why would you enter an event with a deck that you thought was inferior to another, even if it may be better than the majority? 47 and 50 does not equal 100, even if 47 is bigger than 40. 

Johnny brought up an interesting point to me Sunday night that gives an explanation for HAT outperforming the other decks over the course of 17 rounds. It's a hell of a lot easier to play. Sometimes I'll play a few games of ping pong with my friends. We'll start out very involved with our games, but as time goes on and we wear out I often forgo the fancy tricks and just try to hit the ball on their side of the table and wait for them to miss my side. 17 rounds is simply a test of who can punt the fewest games. 

If Sylvans is 49/50 the perfect deck and HAT is 47/50 the perfect deck, your greatest chance to top would be to pilot Sylvans to perfection. The problem becomes Sylvans and HAT are not equal in terms of difficulty to pilot. It's entirely possible that Korey was playing at let's say 45/50 perfect play points. Since the Sylvan player's deck is harder to play, it's possible that they were playing at something like 40/50 perfect play. In which case you get the following:

Sylvans: 49 Perfect deck + 40 Perfect Play = 89/100 for overall likelihood of winning the event

HAT: 47 Perfect deck + 45 Perfect Play = 92/100 for overall likelihood of winning the event

Therefore you can conclude that HAT is more likely to win despite it being an inferior deck because the Sylvan players are more likely to mess up than the HAT players. Now of course none of these numbers are anything but abstract demonstrations of a concept rather than hard numbers. This also serves as a gross understatement of all the factors that go into the likelihood of winning an event by reducing these variables to just perfect deck and perfect play, excluding things such as match-ups and how many times your opponent messes up,  and assuming that they both make up 50 potential points out of 100 potential points for the most likely combination to win the event. This is in fact no way a true statement as you suggest with your 33% luck, 33% deck, 33% play model. I would argue that having the perfect deck will account for significantly more than any other factor, including perfect play. 

Back to the original question of "was Korey playing HAT an unwise choice?" The answer depends on what terms you are looking at the answer. Perhaps 92/100 for overall likelihood of winning the event was the highest Korey could obtain given whatever constraints he had, such as time to learn the things necessary to get to 100/100. Perhaps Korey would have 30/50 for perfect play with Sylvans if he were to switch to them the night before. Despite Sylvans having a hypothetical 49/50 for perfect deck choice, he's now only got a 79/100 for overall as opposed to the 92/100 he has if he plays HAT. Therefore, for Korey, it would be a wise decision to play HAT based on some outside conditions that prevent him from going higher than 92/100 for best odds he can give himself of winning an event. 

That being said, higher does exist. It's possible that you were incorrect about a card interaction and tweaking it could give you the perfect deck of 50/50 and more hours playtesting the deck could have lead you to a mastery of the deck and always being able to identify the one correct play and doing so could give you 50/50 for perfect play. You've now got the 100/100 for most likely combination of factors to allow you to win the event. So if we're speaking in terms of whether or not Korey could have given himself better odds of winning the event, yes he could have and not doing so would be an unwise decision from a competitive standpoint.

Now even giving himself the best odds of winning the event does not mean that he will win the event. If you roll a 20-sided dice enough times, a 1 will come up sooner or later. It's just what you accept by playing such a game that has unknowns and can occasionally lead to the correct play working out worse than an inferior play. So how does Korey end up winning the event with 92/100? It was good enough. The stars aligned and even if someone was more likely to win the event than he was, enough went right for him that he won. Korey and this WCQ is no special occasion and this happens at every event. If you're saying I have to get lucky to get somewhere in a 1,600 person tournament filled with unknowns and contradictory paradoxes, well, I have to say no shit. 

That does not mean that you should not give yourself the absolute best chances you can and get as close to 100 as you can. You can't control luck, it's either with you or against you in any particular moment. You make the assumption that one or more individuals piloted the perfect deck and did so with perfect play, yet failed to see the top cut. Not only would I consider this false, I would say that no one has ever in the history of the game piloted the perfect deck with perfect play to a top cut finish in a premier event. You could be giving yourself better odds at some point along the way and be closer to that 100/100 by focusing on things that are actually in your control. Time is something you can't buy more of and as ready as you think you might be for an event, you only have a finite amount of time to prepare for it. Wasting it on silly things such as luck that you have no control over or mind games that maybe make up 2/100 in actuality when more games are won through deckbuilding and tight technical play than all other factors combined (it should be noted that Korey lost the game where he tricked his opponent into using Alucard on his set Moraltach). Utilize your time better and if you want to get as close to that 100/100 as you can, do so by working on things you can control and don't waste it throwing yourself a pity party about how unlucky you are. There's got to be some difference between you bubbling out every event and me consistently making the top cut and let me assure you we're not flipping coins and having me get consistently more lucky than you.

Variance is going to hit everyone and you can't control it, accept some responsibility and refine the things you can control. If you ever don't top an event it's because you didn't prepare enough for it and give yourself the best odds of performing well. And as Johnny said, if the one in a million chance you do get hit with truly uncontrollable circumstances three times in one tournament to knock you out, it'd probably do you a lot of good to assume that it was your fault. 

the fuck is that levertt kid doing? 

"lalalala, time to play pretend picnic"

After seeing the picture I had to ask him, I found the real response much better.

"I was showing my brother where Russia is."

I'm pretty sure this thread changed my whole life

I can firmly say without a shadow of a doubt that Sam and Johnny are the two best theorists I have ever met in this game.

You two are my Yugioh community.  I don't think I'd be able to go on if you both quit.  I told Sam earlier this year about when I attended my local LVAL sneak peek (to get Exciton and 101), it was one of the loneliest experiences I ever had.  100+ people who play Yugioh in the same room, and not a single one of them I felt I could actually talk to about Yugioh.  And it's not for lack of effort; I've made friends at locals.  But I can't shake the loneliness when I try to converse with them about the game itself.  Any motivation I have to continue writing for the audience that doesn't yet exist or to continue speaking with Konami about changes to the game would be sapped if I did not have just one friend actively playing who understood.  I do it for the community and for love of the game (and perhaps out of the emptiness of a little personal vanity), but even if a thousand read each article I wrote, I couldn't keep writing unless I knew there was you.  This is where Desmond chimes in about how gay I am.

----

@Donnell: I don't think you even understood what Sam wrote.  Two issues he brought up are: 1. that cheating is a binary activity and 2. a player should not be encouraged if his growth is for the wrong reasons.  Your reply to Sam indicates you have grasped neither of these points he has made.  You're telling me to argue from objectivity when the entirety of your post is rooted in subjectivity.  Sam also pointed out that you've admitted to cheating, and you literally replied to his post by confirming it.  You then argue that cheating is not as bad if you admit to doing it.  This is actually just hilarious.

Now, as for my outburst toward Jimmy at a regional: I'll fess up to breaking character there.  I yelled at him for cheating Julian.  A lot of people will selectively remember that.  This just comes with becoming a recognizable name; everything you do is scrutinized.  There's no place for anger, misplays, or the slightest sign of immaturity.  Side note, I still scolded Julian for letting himself get cheated.

----

Sam: No apology necessary!  You have not "hijacked" things.  As I stated earlier, any and every one of the bajillion subjects I brought up in this thread are open for discussion.

Someone finally said it.

I personally am very interested in what you have to say about what an ideal F/L List looks like. As much as I like the game and try and get better at it, I still don't have a firm grasp on what really makes the game healthy in terms of a banlist. Sure there's "ban the degenerate free advantage cards" or "ban the cards that create procedural nightmares," but there are the minute things like putting certain cards to 2 or 1 that I really would love to see explanations for.

It's certainly true that higher level players such as ARG writers have a certain insight that I and the vast majority of Yugioh players lack; when Patrick wrote his ideal banlist putting Pot of Greed to 1 and Geargiarmor to 2, I remember everyone around me going "what the fuck is this guy smoking?" Lo and behold, not too long later, triple Upstart and triple Reckless is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Soon after that, Geargia becomes dominant. It seems almost like a really well-trained sense of foresight to me.

Johnny I thoroughly enjoyed this article, but I really just had one question concerning the people you wouldn't want to go to worlds. What exactly is the problem that you have with Sean Coovert? Sorry if I am out of line or something asking this but I was extremely curious (as I have known Sean for years and have had 0 problems with him).

I am not positively reinforcing Jimmy's cheating, if he ever did it. I am supporting positively reinforcing his success and growth as a player.

Positively reinforcing his success if it, even if only in part, came as a result of cheating is to reinforce everything, including the cheating.

In reference to cheating, Many people cheat in this game, but I have never used it as an excuse for not improving yourself or your skills as an individual or as a person. I am MUCH, Much more honest than most Yugioh players and I admit to when I try and get away with cheating. It is very prevalent in our game sadly, especially amongst the pros and many of your friends, nevertheless it happens.

Where do you think my frustration on this subject comes from? I know it's not uncommon.

Being guilty of less counts of a crime than your counterparts doesn't make you any less guilty.

Sam, you make great points in reference to Legacy and what they have done, but you seem to misunderstand the point. Everyone has their own qualities in life and goals. Some people keep reaching for their goals in the best way possible for them. Some people give up on their goals, in life and in yugioh, and move on to other things..... For you to judge other priorities and goals and saying they are in not good enough or acting like an "overgrown child" is simply terrible.

Wagging the finger at me like you're my mother, saying "shame on you, shaaame on you" isn't really going to suffice as an argument. Don't pretend you've never judged anybody (note I'm refrain from "going in" on you any further). It's not as if I've "passed judgment" on you before. This is the first time it's ever come up and I only fired the ammunition that you yourself provided, and only did so because you were trying to do the same, judging Johnny, but in regards to something you only heard subjective rumors about. 

Perhaps the way I refer to it as a "children's card game" would be better within the context of this post:

http://duelistgroundz.com/index.php?showtopic=161295#entry3793062

To call Yu-Gi-Oh a "children's card game" is entirely accurate in the sense that's who should be playing it, and those who are playing it beyond that point truly do lack a certain level of maturity.

I'm not sure if you read that post or simply looked at and responded to the OP because Johnny was talking negatively about Jimmy.

I don't want to get into discussing the epidemic of children not "growing up" in today's society and so on, although you can easily see where I would go with it, as Yu-Gi-Oh is undoubtedly a likely hobby for those types. Doing so would imply many are like that when most aren't. We're both illustrations of that. But it doesn't mean YGO is the best use of our time. It's not truly useful. DJ working out and eventually becoming a personal trainer. That's useful. He's improving his health; his ability to have a longer life with his wife and children. He quit YGO to focus more on that and his family. He's also making more money in the process. It's all productive. Eventually we're all going to have those same kinds of responsibilities (one of the "life landmarks" I referred to in the post I linked), and the kind of opportunity to do something productive and even financially beneficial? That's what we make of it.

But recreational time/balance is important and we don't all enjoy something that's "truly useful" or know what it is yet, anyway. So.... Yu-Gi-Oh.

Back to "judging" people for playing: I respect when people chose to quit the game for something more important. I'm impartial/non-judgmental to people for simply playing the game (except ironically, maybe for myself). We all have our reasons. It's a hobby we all share in common. I'm no less of a participant. I myself have referred to it as "mental exercise" so it's not as if I don't think it can be productive under any means.

And I don't believe having goals in Yu-Gi-Oh is bad. I actually believe you should set goals for yourself: I want to get to ten tops. Why? Because it's a goal I have for myself. I already have the respect of my peers. Did you see what Hoban said about me a few posts ago? (Thanks Pat.) That's high praise coming from the person who might become the most decorated YGO player of all-time. But if I have a personal responsibility or opportunity that happens before I reach that goal? I'm out. I have the perspective to walk away. It's about my goals and because of that, it's my decision to change them as I deem necessary.

When do I judge people negatively for playing this game? When they lose perspective of what success actually is. When they think that gaining "respect" of fellow card game players is so important they have to cheat themselves (and their opponents) in order to get it, as if it really means anything.

I am a grown man as you are, we both play this "children card game" who is heavily played by adults. You said it yourself "I would not want my kids playing this game". I agree, at least not until they are in their mid to late teens. Kids are almost always victimized in this game, especially in competition and shops. So the fact you still refer to Yugioh, especially competitive Yugioh as a "Children's" card game in misdefined, but you have a right to your opinion. This game is NOT for kids and hasn't been for almost a decade in my opinion. Also, I do not seek the adoration of children nor do I care about my own self-promotion. I let people know where they can reach me, if they want to know my opinion on things and ideals.

You can say you've never tried to position yourself as a role-model, you don't want people's adoration, or you don't care about your own self-promotion. But if you're being honest with us, and yourself, we both know that you're starving for attention: YouTube channel. "D-Nasty" persona. Making sure everybody knows when you, or one of your ideas has any amount of success. 

Wanting attention doesn't mean wanting to be a role-model. That much is true. But you even acknowledged you wouldn't let your kids play this game at an early age and call them victims. Who makes them victims? It's the community. I've also heard you say having children is a very important thing for you in life. That's great. It really is. There aren't enough good fathers out there. But if having children and being a positive influence is so important to you, shouldn't you have more empathy for the parents that don't know better? And drop their kids off at locals? Shouldn't you try to leverage the influence you do have towards help creating a better community/environment for those children? At the very least, it would be good practice for when you do have kids, right?

It's a topic I've brought up before:

http://duelistgroundz.com/index.php?showtopic=157284#entry3643522

There are many examples that come to mind but as I mentioned before... I'm not really part of the "cool" crowd at Epik; partly because I've never wanted to engage in the trash-talk etc. But you? You're much more in the trenches of that part of the community. You actually have a better opportunity at turning it all around, or at least having a positive impact on the children than I do. Take advantage of it.

You want success? Real success? It's not doing well at YGO and having others respect you. You have an opportunity for true success by leveraging your place in the community and becoming a positive influence on the people around you. But it goes back to valuing what you think is important over the praise of others. Helping? People aren't going to be giving you "props". The reward of that will come from within. Maybe yeaaars down the road somebody will thank you for making their LIFE better. Think about that...

I'm not saying you can't try to do both: Be good at YGO and be a positive influence. If anything, I'm trying to illustrate here how the two kind of go hand-in-hand. It's all the same: Work hard. Work smart. Be responsible. Respectful. Genuine. What makes you a good/successful player in life makes you a good YGO player.

even though I have a history of fighting in Yugioh card shops, i never tried to portray myself as a "Example" Yugioh player as you previously stated. Everyone makes mistakes and I was not proud of my attitude that day. I apologized to who I beat up and we are great friends to this day. That is what this thread is about right? Growing, accepting responsibility of your actions, making no excuses and finding more success in life. I do not standby my actions of the past. I believe in karma and accepting the mistake you have made, as Johnny explained earlier. "It is your own fault if you do not do good enough".

I want to be clear about something: I don't think you're the only one that has cheated etc I'm not trying to pick on you. Really, you're just the one who had the courage to come forward. Hopefully you will read this a few times over, really understand the meaning and depth of what I'm trying to say and become a more positive example...

Great Post Samuel. I am surprised you recognized my serious attitude towards things like children, because I do not mention them often. I am graduating and going into the field of Social Work because of the very reasons you listed. I want to help people, people who really need help. I want to change lives and I love to share knowledge and experiences I have learned. I am glad we are in agreement and I am happy you realized I am the only one with courage to speak out, especially here on DGZ. You, Pat and Johnny obviously have a good head on your shoulders. My original reason for posting was to present the option that you guys, and maybe the Yugioh Community as a whole, are judging the kid a little preemptively, which is okay because I did the same. It is also human nature to stereotype and label anything, it is called "sorting".

Your right Sam, i did not read Johnny's entire post. I decided to glaze over the "Future Visions" part of his post because I felt as if it began to stray off-topic. Technically his "DGZ deck discussion" section did too, but I actually appreciated that strobe beacon of light.

Epik's "Cool Crowd" is not even a real thing. I am a strong personality and I guess an "Attention-whore", but it surely is not from conforming to the hi-jinks that take place there. I did not let the culture of that store change me. I promoted success and individuality, especially locally, and began to help mold it into something better, or I at least tried too. That's almost like me saying you're of the "illustrious ARG crowd" at events. We both should take advantage of our positions and spread the correct methods of doing things. If not through your expertise of logic and statisticals articles (which I have praised multiple times) on a macro level, then through my emotional speeches and discussions and truths on a micro and intrapersonal level.
Some of these kids don't listen though...  <+<  <+< 

I know you've "quit" or "taken a break from the game" as most have, especially at this time of year, but I hope and expect to see you at YCS Dallas in a few months working on achieving #10 and beyond. If not, thats cool too. I plan to keep working on #1. (ironically I met you there in 2011)

the fact that we even have to have these discussions about victim blaming is the best evidence that the yugioh community is not only full of, but run by pieces of shit. zizek once said that one of the great things about modern society is that there are certain things that we just don't debate about anymore, like rape. if someone tries to take the standard armchair philosopher devils advocate role in arguing against legal sanctions for rape, we do not engage them, we just laugh at them and move on. there is nothing productive to be done in arguing about whether or not rape is wrong. it just is, and the fact that it is is one of the foundations of our societies. somewhere you have to draw a line and reject relativism. there are some views that are simply not worth entertaining.

cheating in yugioh, or really any other game, ought to be another one, at least in the context of the communities of those games. it's actually that simple: if you want the time you spend playing yugioh to actually matter, in any way at all, it ought to be time spent playing yugioh, and not some other card game played with yugioh cards where you're allowed to arrange your opponent's deck, but only if he doesn't catch you, or whatever. very standard kantian principle of consistency here. so you just don't cheat! and i, and many other people, have found little to no trouble in following this little rule of thumb. yet in yugioh, when you want to call out a cheater, you have all sorts of hurdles to overcome from the peanut gallery. this is exactly the notion of "public opinion" that sam is talking about that so many players become lost in. one time i was at a local and was watching two of my friends play for the tournament. one of them tried to summon a red-eyes darkness metal dragon while the opponent had zombie world up. i told him he couldn't do it (the opponent was going to let it go) and he got so mad that he actually tried to have me kicked out of the store for "interrupting their duel" or whatever. as in i was the person at fault in that scenario, not the person who tried to cheat! that's actually what these local communities do to protect the "respected cheaters!" and this was an actual ethical debate in the minds of most of the players at the store that day, as in like i actually had to argue with friends, close fucking friends, over whether or not my action was justified. (for the record, to most people there that day, it wasn't.) i can't believe i was so socialized to value how much people liked me at the time to think that this was an actually productive use of anyone's time or breath. it isn't. these are silly elementary-school-level discussions that we simply shouldn't have to have in 2014. how are you going to be fucking cheating in yugioh in the year 2014?

in magic, needless to say, this just doesn't happen. if it does, we laugh at the person, and if it happens again, they're out of the tournament/store. done. end of story. no intra-store politics about "this team will stop attending this local unless you let this banned known cheater play in your tournament again," no fierce ethical debate over whether or not it's the cheater's fault or if everyone else should "just be smarter and more alert." we simply don't have to debate about this sort of thing. and it's fucking awesome. maybe yugioh will get to this point some day if we get more vicious about calling out cheaters. unfortunately, this would probably mean shitting on more than a few duelists who i like, respect, and even consider my friends. that's the price of having a cleaner game, and it's up to every individual player to decide whether it's a price worth paying. 

You two are my Yugioh community.  I don't think I'd be able to go on if you both quit.  I told Sam earlier this year about when I attended my local LVAL sneak peek (to get Exciton and 101), it was one of the loneliest experiences I ever had.  100+ people who play Yugioh in the same room, and not a single one of them I felt I could actually talk to about Yugioh.  And it's not for lack of effort; I've made friends at locals.  But I can't shake the loneliness when I try to converse with them about the game itself.  Any motivation I have to continue writing for the audience that doesn't yet exist or to continue speaking with Konami about changes to the game would be sapped if I did not have just one friend actively playing who understood.  I do it for the community and for love of the game (and perhaps out of the emptiness of a little personal vanity), but even if a thousand read each article I wrote, I couldn't keep writing unless I knew there was you.  This is where Desmond chimes in about how gay I am.

How would somebody get themselves into this theory-circle of Yugioh?  I used to play this game so much more back in the day when I felt there was theory readily accessible and debatable.  I remember spending hours playtesting Monarch, TroopDupe, Glads, etc with Hoban back on ETC.  I remember writing articles about the metagame and tech choices against popular decks (even though the articles would probably be bad if I went back to read them).  I really loved the theory aspect of the game, it's why I played.  It's also why I quit - ETC died down, Metagame shut down, I just couldn't really find the interest that I used to.  This is also one of the main reasons I switched to MTG, I had several good websites that provided theory (I read Starcity Premium articles for like a year before I even played the game), I could watch professional players in videos or on streams and get an insight into their mindset.  Even commentators at events were once professional players that can provide and in depth analysis of the current game, metagame, whatever.

Now, coming back into this game (if only casually) I still can't find the in-depth theory that I look for.  I can't find it, but I know it's there.  People talk about stuff like the theory behind Upstart Goblin, card ratios, tempo, floodgates.  A lot of this stuff wasn't discussed when I played and clearly progress is being made, but it doesn't seem to be out in the open.  Deck discussion threads are filled with people that understand these topics at a platonic level, but haven't put the time or effort into truly understanding them. I think that's the problem behind the problems with deck discussion that you mentioned in the OP.  People dismiss ideas just because they might seem bad on paper for one reason or another and ignore the practical applications.

You keep mentioning that you're writing to 'the audience that doesn't yet exist'.  I guess I'm just trying to find the best way to become part of that audience, because right now it feels like the circles of meaningful theorycrafting are sort of private (not that they shouldn't be, to some extent).