Samuel Pedigo

Article: Applying MtG Concepts to Yu-Gi-Oh

».ben.    7438

there's a lot of great stuff to digest there. Definitely worth a re-reading (or two).

ill miss your articles, man!

• Upvote 1

ralfiano    43
Genuinely one of the best ygo articles I've read :)
  • Upvote 2

Vincent210    510
Thank you for putting into words what I failed to in the Madolche thread. Defensive lineup expansion and reactive cards like Myrm and Hands were cute, but people were COMPLELTELY missing the fact that Madolches typically get put into the beatdown role and need to approach most gamestates aggressively I order to be in a winning position. Players saw problems dealing with consistency and backrow and tempo progression and learned the wrong lessons from it, seeing short term success that I was doubtful would result in a win. I'll admit to being one of the first to tune out when yugioh players start to talk magic on me, because I have no shared tapestry in the game. I do not play it. But more and more I am being led to the conclusion that perhaps yugioh is too young for that, and there are older and wiser roots to draw information from that I'm unfortunately denying. It appears I may seek to change that. Thank you for your article, and you're welcome for the read.

Castiel    98

This is incredible. 

Thank you for making this thread, thank you very much.

oukiqt    30
I agree that a lot of what YGO players have to learn comes from what people have discovered from MtG (it only took 20 years since inception to actually understand deck velocity as a deck building consideration other than something Deep Draw Exodia does). But a lot of it doesn't really translate too well or you have to twist the idea in order to somewhat relate it to YGO. Tempo is all kinds of whack to translate. Mana plays a large part of that but as you said can somewhat mean the one normal summon per turn rule. But then what do you do when you want to talk about going over the top or under the curve? You can't really choose to not block an attack and begin a race, which largely ties into determining who's really the beat down when not given extremely apparent late game win conditions such as JD or Future Fusion in your example.

I understand your point about how you have to kill Spellbooks swiftly before they start drawing two cards a turn with a recurring Fate. However, how do you tempo out a deck that can play backrow and a single threat like Bujins? There's no resource difference between playing 1 trap in a turn to 4 traps, a Crane, and a Turtle in a turn. Doesn't exactly seem feasible to play draw go against a Yamato nor an aggro plan against 4 backrow and relics.

One of the hardest parts of learning who is the beat down is assessing when to switch roles in the middle of a game which is probably only ever apparent in mirror matches while every other match up is really obvious to ascertain from the first card drawn in the game. It's still a rather foreign concept for this "young" community, so it's understandable that people will get it wrong all the time and not be aware of it.

I'm not trying to knock your post by any means. I want to make it a point for those looking to improve through reading MtG articles that not everything will translate well, but the general ideas are definitely there. I've been trying to translate theories from MtG for the reddit YGO community similar to how Matt Cash has been with his article for YGOrg translating Philosohy of Fire, though I've somewhat given up the endeavor as what Cash out succinctly, "We're writing for an audience that doesn't exist yet." Sounds poetic and hipster. Maybe I'll start up again.

It's definitely a step in the right direction that we're aware of this new need. I think we'll have a lot of fun trying to translate everything into YGO terms and probably discover new technology unique to YGO along the way. And hopefully one day there's cash prize support to actually make YGO grow up.

I'm sad to see you go, though. I've been a fan since I first learned of you in the Pojo Xsaber thread and went on to top nationals with Plants. I've always been too intimidated to introduce myself to you when I could.

Hope you find the time or passion to come back to the game some time soon.
  • Upvote 3

Titcombe    58

I feel like this should be pinned so in the future people have easy access to it, as I wouldn't want to not read this ever lol

Onion    12

Gunna get my hands on Chaplin's book!

The whole role thing about the aggressor makes a lot of sense.  We do it all the time like when LS rulers banish JD with eclipse you have to end the game fast. At first I only think about the decks themselves such as aggro, control and combo but knowing thier roles in a cetrain game state is super important! When I think about what I read, I see now why I and other people make certain plays.

».ben.    7438

pinned because no one pinned this yet