Has anyone built an app before?

I want to make one that can be used on iphone and android and makes use of the camera. (specifically taking pictures and uploading pictures from your gallery) 

What language should I use and does anyone have any horror stories or common pitfalls to avoid?

+rei+    34352
Android I BELIEVE is Java, IOS is Objective-C.
Start with a tutorial and go from there

NetRepTodd    200

Developing for iOS mobile platform and developing android apps are two different things.

Objective-C is the language that is used for IOS development.   In terms of the android platform, there are various languages that could be used, but the most common is Java.

One thing that I played around with my senior year of college was developing using something called Phonegap.  you basically wrote an html/javascript/jquery web application with a mobile look/feel, then phonegap allowed you to wrap a native shell around it, without need to learn the language for objective c or java.  (well, some java knowledge is required, but not a complex amount)

http://phonegap.com/

• Upvote 1

+Mascis    4333

#picturesthroughcups the app?

+Mascis    4333

did i at least make it to the friend zone?

• Upvote 1

If you are doing iOS dev you will also need to buy into the apple ecosystem aka own a mac pc or notebook. If you want an easy starting point you can just follow some tutorials for android and they have the sdk + ide bundled together on the developer.android.com website.