Gredinus

Burning Abyss - Deck Discussion

+Urthor    10235

It sorta works vs Madolche and Infern but only if you really don't have other cards to side in and have stuff you desparately want to take out.  

It's not just ok vs Sylvans though, it's pretty amazing to take away Princesspout from that deck before it sets up, and it negates Bandit/Lonefire/Spore which are other relevant cards.  

Brosi    82

Reddit and the YGOorg actually link directly to DGz and that was a genuine problem for a short while and lead to a steady cylce of Yugi-redditers being banned for the cuddles.   

2nd/3rd tier deck discussion threads like Sylvans and Burning Abyss will just always be a problem because you struggle to attract good posters to a thread when the deck isn't a legitimate meta-call for this format.  It takes a certain kind of person to have a ton of fun tweaking Burning Abyss to be as good as it can be when it can honestly just not be an optimal deck to play for an entire format with its current card pool.  For every good player who plays Burning abyss because it's cheap,  there will be like inf people who think things like "hey, I have a job, I can play any deck I like, I don't have to play Burnign Abyss because it's cheap I can play Shaddolls,"  or "hey, Deneb is still incredibly underpriced for how good Satella is really this format, and i already own all the rank 4s, why not just play that instead for budget.dek"

Not to mention this is still pre-Atlantic City so "secrets" 

Like I don't actually think anybody has posted on DGz about Chain Disappearance yet which is kind of hilarious. 

Lol, when I opened my Sneak Peek packs and pulled the rare BAs it was the first card that came to my mind, just amazing side deck

»victor    6399

Like I don't actually think anybody has posted on DGz about Chain Disappearance yet which is kind of hilarious. 

It was mentioned in passing in a couple places.

1)

http://duelistgroundz.com/index.php?showtopic=161037&p=3787366

2) In a thread I bumped a few days ago,

For what it's worth, it even doubles up as Chain Disappearance.

»victor    6399

But on the topic of Chain Disappearance, it's in some sense, already accounted for.

I mean you were going to be siding Majesty Fiend, and Monarchs Storm Forth, etc. anyways because of Flying C, if you weren't already.

Also, Raiza and so forth.

So the focus is less on the Tour Guide and Scarm G2 and G3

-----------

And don't forget Trance Archfiend to counteract RFG, just as Dark World used to do.

Easy 2300 over Wynda with Gates, and the discard triggers BA. 

------------

You can also side Snipe Hunter and pick apart backrow, especially if you are playing Thunder Dragon.

And Transmodify as I mentioned before lets you trigger BAs and bring these 2 on demand.

---------

Another alternative is do as everybody else, side out the BA, bring in the Hands, and use them to wreck SIM, Chain Disappearance, Skill Drain, whatever people think of siding vs you. And they double as Trib fodder for Majesty, Raiza.

• Upvote 2

»Jeff Jones    13265
Victor I'm actually curious, how often do you actually get to play yugioh/do you just play yugioh?

I'm curious how often you get to test some of the more unorthodox ideas

»victor    6399

Victor I'm actually curious, how often do you actually get to play yugioh/do you just play yugioh?

I'm curious how often you get to test some of the more unorthodox ideas

I can play on DN if I prioritize (wake up earlier) for about an hour in the morning or evening each day, or if I do it at the expense of other hobbies (watching TV, etc.).

And I have friends, people I know who also give me feedback.

I mean if I was preparing for an event, I would definitely be more rigorous about it.

I work in the CS industry, so Yugioh is fun intellectually stimulating outlet for me, not necessarily a livelihood. I make enough that I can buy any deck, but I can't really travel around to ARGs or YCSs because of family commitments. 

• Upvote 5

foofatron    39

Victor's got a point with the monarchs tho. I've been testing a monarch oriented build and it has done well against shadolls. I think the normal variant is better against knights, but the monarch build has tested better vs. shadolls.

The fact that you can just ss a monster, which most won't stop, and then trib makes running multiple tributes not dead. I've noticed aside from breakthrough skill shadolls aren't running any traps that'll hurt the monarch style. Knights run a more varied trap line up making monarchs less effective.

But on the topic of Chain Disappearance, it's in some sense, already accounted for.

I mean you were going to be siding Majesty Fiend, and Monarchs Storm Forth, etc. anyways because of Flying C, if you weren't already.

Also, Raiza and so forth.

So the focus is less on the Tour Guide and Scarm G2 and G3

Another alternative is do as everybody else, side out the BA, bring in the Hands, and use them to wreck SIM, Chain Disappearance, Skill Drain, whatever people think of siding vs you. And they double as Trib fodder for Majesty, Raiza.

Exactly. This is a deck that's all about gaining tempo. It plays very similar to a chaos deck from several formats ago that used 3 TGU, 3 Photon Sabre Tiger etc. that was all about out-resourcing your opponent.

The BA monsters are an engine designed to put pressure on your opponent though cycling TGU. Half the time I'll summon into Alucard because I know it's going to clear backrow, and I know I'm going to be able to do it again next turn.

This engine pairs incredibly well with the Artifact engine as it is designed to disrupt your opponent's tempo. It also makes natural reuse of the Rank 5 engine and provides lights for the chaos route.

I think the conversation should steer away from cards like Thunder Dragon. Those cards do not do anything. 

AK-48    70

Interesting situation came up when I was testing with my bro...

I had a face-up Malebranche with an empty grave (eff not negated) and I summoned crane crane.

Summon was good. What happens next?

I know that the Malebranche destruction does not start a chain and I can't activate crane crane without a target...

But like, would the Malebranche be destroyed before the window to activate crane crane's effect (thereby leaving me with a target for crane crane)?

Also, I've been testing transmigration prophecy as opposed to using Tour bus.

Bus is terrible to draw and transmigration has proven to be useful in replenishing the deck and disrupting plays (e.g. call, Altair etc.)

Also, the fact that I can activate it when I need to as opposed to bus only activating when sent makes transmigration a much better pick IMO.

• Upvote 1

Tour Bus is as idiot bait as Cairngorgon is. You'll very rarely have it actually cripple someone unless you detach it from Alucard to shuffle Eclipse.

Back when Scarm and Dante were first revealed, I tried using 3 Guide 2 Scarm 1 Bus 3 Crane, and the only things that Bus ended up doing were either putting Guide back into the deck (due to dying off of Alucard turn 2 and simply lacking any other target) or disconnecting opponent's Eclipses (happened twice).

Transmigration was hilarious mained in pure Artifacts and HAT due to how you could interrupt COTH / Dio / etc while at the same time recycling Hands or Sanctums, and now that's been rebranded to apply against Cir / Altair / El Shaddolls.

You can pick Bus right out of the deck with Guide, but Transmigration is blatantly the better card because of just how much it does.

APNick1337    9
I've actually been testing a build with no Caius, but Raiza as the replacement. Alongside that, 2 Dynatherium along a very small amount of Level 4s since normally you wouldn't have any Level 4s in your graveyard anyway, to give it Rank 4 access.

With all these WINDS and DARKS, Dark Simorgh comes naturally. All my playtesting is only vs Shaddoll and that lineup is amazing against them. Not only does it get around any mained SIM (like in HAT or maybe even Satellarknights) but on top of that, they can't Set cards.

As for Chain Disappearance, anything that will give your monsters ATK points stops that. Things like Gates of Dark World will prevent anything from being touched, and it doesn't hinder the strategy too much.

»Pengwan    7724
I guess if your definition of doesn't hinder the strategy is all it does is turn my deck into a normal summon heavy pos and make my openers more reliant on opening certain cards to start the engine then sure it doesn't hinder you at all.
  • Upvote 2

»victor    6399

When I play against Shaddolls I have a really bad time dealing with Leo : /

Creature Swap doesn't target, FYI.

And neither does TMSF.

Storm Wolf    1205

And neither does TMSF.

What is a TMSF?

Nidoqueen    146

And neither does TMSF.

What is a TMSF?

The Monarchs Storm Forth.

I've been spending a few minutes searching as well.

O-H!    52
How are people dealing with swarming Satellers turn after turn? It's the only matchup I'm iffy against because we do not possess that otk play in this deck outside of double rank five which takes turns to set up.

foofatron    39

You float like crazy, run pwwb and vanity, and have access to Pleiades.

Knights don't do much except altair the only big momentum they get is by calling altair. Breakthrough skill helps when they try to summon on your turn and also stops them dead outside of soul charge/call on their turn. Getting pwwb negated can hurt, but I think you can play around the counter trap relatively well.

Besides dweller, which cannot get over dante, what do they make that threatens you? Make castel and bounce dante? That really won't do much in the long run.

Candela    546

How are people dealing with swarming Satellers turn after turn? It's the only matchup I'm iffy against because we do not possess that otk play in this deck outside of double rank five which takes turns to set up.

Needle Ceiling helps a lot.