Gredinus

Burning Abyss - Deck Discussion

»Pengwan    7720
Sometimes I wonder if some people in Deck Discussions even play the same game
  • Upvote 19

Sess    280

Felice is awesome but it's really hard to justify playing the most unforgiving draw in the game and it basically necessitates that you play three Math.

I've really liked it in my testing as it makes a mathematician summon a potential threat and can force a lot of back-rows. I think the deck running a number of discard traps can somewhat justify it, so it might not just sit in your hand the entire game. Sometimes its nice having a light to send for mathematician that is useful when sent unlike veiler. I'm testing with 6 discard traps though. Also while it does put more emphasis on playing three mathematician, it give you more options and can make it useful after you play the first copy of mathematician.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Faith+1    47

That's a really bad suggestion.  There's literally three or four card in your deck that that card interacts with and the idea of drawing the Cat thing with an outlet and then basically being forced to discard it instead of an Abyss monster to get any value of it is just horrible. Not to mention the fact that you can't even chain and remove the floodgate so your opponent already gets value out of their card. There's a thousand more reasons why that card can't be run.

Lol i know....i was just rummaging through an old binder and saw it and thought of how shitty it was but figured i'd mention it for those that are running 3 pwwb 3 break...in hindsight I should have took a moment to realize how shitty it was before mentioning it... 

Doodlebug    613

To those of us who will be going to YCS Toronto this weekend, if there's a lot of other Burning Abyss players, I'd like to suggest the idea of siding Possessed Dark Soul for the mirror match.

PossessedDarkSoul-BP01-EN-C-1E.png

I've noticed a lot of the more inexperienced players don't immediately use their level three Abyss monsters or they try to wall themselves behind Scarm a majority of the time.  This would allow you to steal them and use them for your own Xyz monsters.  Perhaps this is nothing major, but it's an interesting card I noticed while looking for more level three Fiend-types to use with Tour Guide.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

RobertM    86

What, so your opponent can later plus from the effect of the monster you stole by using up your normal summon on an otherwise terrible card?

Sage.    757

Why would you use a card that's only good against the inexperienced players?  Shouldn't you be winning those matches anyway?

• Upvote 6

α    340

if you summon soul off TGU you can't steal their stuff

meh card, would consider if it did work off TGU, but it doesn't

»victor    6400

For what it's worth, if you play Stygian Dirge you can take LV 4s, e.g. vs Satellaknights, but we all remember the "combo backrow" concept that Sam warned about (LLAB and Black Horn of Heaven).

Possesed Dark Soul's claim to fame was always Adrian Madaj's Dino Rabbit deck back in the day (where he also played RFTDD), where you could steal Spirit Reaper and stuff. I mean there was a time people were playing Aero Shark to out Gellenduo, etc. , but this isn't 2011 anymore. (You could play Mischief of the Yokai and *combo* but that interaction is obsolete, what LV 4s do decks leave out that are worth taking? None.)

• Upvote 2

Soul    7942

so like, are people running math still? its just been pretty subpar for me, as has supply squad. sure its pretty good when you draw squad + math, but outside of that, i actually hate both cards. 

this is what ive been testing. obviously majesty sucks vs BTS/Fiendish, but standalone it just does everything you want it to. gets rid of the extra deck mon on board to dodge fusion, negates everything relevant, is a light for Sorc/BLS. easily summonable too obv. 

rFmVvxm.png

midnightoil    3
Been testing something stupidly awesome. Burning Abyss, Chronomally, Shaddoll + chaos monsters. The amount of floating and searching and looping is ridiculous.
  • Downvote 1

Mr Cook    473
I was testing out 1 Reincarnation (don't think I'd go over 1 copy) and it's been testing well so far, the reason it's better than Dark Eruption is that you're only using it on Dark monsters a small proportion of the time, its mostly used to get back BLS, Chaos Sorc, Mathman (in niche scenarios), also has uses to get back Monarchs/Veilers (if you play them)

Not the best card to see early game, so I may well consider cutting it, what Reincarnation gives you though is another shot at a win condition through milling BLS/Sorc, and it's pretty versatile, you can ditch a Moralltach to make your in-hand Chaos stuff live, or you can use it to combo off, such as pitching Graff (summon Cir) to add back Scarm, then normal Scarm to make a R3 still with two floaters in the absence of a TGU. I've used it to get back Math when my TGU gets Veilered so I can summon a L3 alongside it that turn to try and kickstart the engine. 

Fortunately, I've not drawn it overly early-game yet, in theory it will usually be dead T1, and potentially T2, making it a blank card in hand, which is probably the kind of card the deck shouldn't be playing, but I'll continue to test the benefits against the potential early-game brick.

For those (if anyone) who's decided to play the Artifact engine in here, normally I would play 3 Sanctum/2 Moralltach, however I've bumped Moralltach up to 3, due to the fact we will be milling with Dante in a lot of games, having an equal ratio helps with not burning through one or the other, and obviously Moralltach is a LIGHT to mill for the Chaos element of the deck, Just after a little feedback to see what kind of Artifact engine people are running in here.

With the addition of the Artifact engine I've made the decision to mainboard 2 MST. This deck grinds through a lot of backrow like no-one's business, and the only real backrow trouble this deck has is against Tellas (Nova), against floodgates (G2/G3), and against Emptiness. In a lot of occasions, Emptiness can straight-out win the game against this deck, apart from convoluted outs, the only real outs this deck has to Emptiness & big established monster is 3 PWWB, it feels like the deck needs somthing which can react to the Emptiness. MST also has the use of obviously being versatile, like EP clearing backrow, or popping Field Spells/CotH, or even MST on Moralltach to make it live and allow it to go to GY later for Chaos summons.

Also, I know there will be a lot who disagree, but at the moment I've cut Grenosaurus/Volcasaurus. Yes, stealing games with Astral Force is brilliant, however through testing I've actually never made the Greno/Volca combo once (20+ matches IRL, much more on DN) - and in addition to that, summoning the Grenosaurus telegraphs your next move really easily, you could make the point that you shouldn't be summoning Volca into backrow anyway, and it feels like on a lot of occasions I would much rather just RUM into the Pleiades or the Tiras/Durendal. At the beginning when I started ot with this deck I assumed Greno/Volca was staple in the Extra Deck, but when it comes down to it, there's a good few things I want to play over it, like the 2nd Alucard, and Downerd Magician.

Currently, the Extra for my build looks like this:

Extra(16):

2 Dante
2 Pleiades
2 Alucard
1 Bram
1 Angineer
1 Tiras
1 Durendal
1 Temtempo
1 Zenmaines
1 Acid Golem
1 Nightmare Shark
1 Downerd Magician
1 Gaia Thunder Charger

I still need to cut one card from it, I know a lot of people have fallen out of love with Durendal, but when playing the Artifacts, Durendal adds a lot more value. It's the only Extra Deck monster that can stop their Shaddoll Fusion, and Durendal is solid going 1st against Shaddolls if you don't open the Emptiness. I've summoned Bram a grand total of twice, and it seems like it could be an easy cut, it can however cut Tellas off from Altair plays by bringing back and cutting off their Denebs, and it's also something to RUM into from Alucard where when you summon Alucard, your opponent doesn't always read that you have the Astral Force. Also, 2 Alucard is just really really good, when you have to play through multiple backs, something as simple as 2 BAs into an Alucard, if it gets destroyed, you can bring back 2 more BAs into a 2nd one, or you can Soul Charge into it to pick away the backrow with your floaters.

Anyway, more ramblings, more theory, just throwing out more ideas for discussion.
  • Upvote 1

Crispy619    6

You should definitely consider Fortune Tune in your Extra Deck for time and to recycle TGU.

Anyways the pressure of Volca-Gaia is more mental. I've had people tell me after matches that they were afraid to summon Construct because I could swing for 5k, but when the situation boils down to it being able to burn for 5k is a lot different than the imaginary threat. 

midnightoil    3
Grena-->Volca-->Charger ends games, how can you drop something like that?

Bram is a weird card, it's effect has a lot to be desired, but it's the only graveyard disruption the deck has mained. It can't be dropped.

Mr Cook    473

As I said, I haven't had the opportunity to make Greno/Volca in like 40-50+ matches, the 2nd Alucard is something I definitely want to keep, I've made it countless times, and there are even times where I've wanted/made Downerd Magician more than I have Greno/Volca.

I think the Extra deck was too imbalanced towards the Astral Force combos anyway (I'll probably be cutting 1-of Tiras/Durendal as well) - as you will rarely be Astral Forcing more than once, twice a game at most, and this decreases in G2/G3 as well, the previous build was running 2 Pleiades, 1 Tiras, 1 Volca, 1 Durendal, 1 Bram, (and effectively 1 Greno) just to be used in Astral Force plays, whereas freeing up a couple of slots allows for more utility with the R3s, which you will be making a lot more than making your RUM combos.

Maybe a time will come where I'll wish I had Greno/Volca in the deck, but at the moment I've missed the 2nd Alucard and niche stuff like Downerd/Temtempo way more than I have missed the Greno/Volca.

Edit - Yeah I really like the idea of Fortune Tune in here, will probably include it :)

• Upvote 1

»Pengwan    7720
Now that I think about it after playing this deck every week I haven't went Greno-Volca since the day of the sneak. I still like to have the option to do so and Im not sure what I would add over them.

»victor    6400

Now that I think about it after playing this deck every week I haven't went Greno-Volca since the day of the sneak. I still like to have the option to do so and Im not sure what I would add over them.

If you are playing Angineer still, another Astral target aside Tiras (and Durendal if you play it) is Archfiend Seraph.

2900 ATK with destruction immunity and burn.

----------

Why are people playing Temtempo in here?

How often are you guys stripping Ophion so you can drop Chaos?

-----------

One point in favor of GrenVolcaCharger is that the entire play sequence is immune to Super Poly as none of it is LIGHT/DARK. But is that ever going to be relevant?

d3monized    106

Anyone ever test Non-Aggression Area?

The card was pretty relevant during the Dragon Format.

I think if it resolves it is pretty deadly and you should be able to put a lot of damage on the board.

i sometimes board felis out with maths if they bring macro etc, but the amout of time you snipe a black rose through is awesome, but might drop math altogether, not running SS kinda gimps it a bit

bram was amusing, tho i only seemed to abuse it vs a burn player killing him with his own stealth birds, half the time i feel pleides is the only rank 5 i want to AF to

G Λ r Ω N    5934
Bram is the only way you have to knock off a Leo when Shaddolls attempt to deck you out with it. Temtempo is your go to out for Cairngorgon, I'm sure there are more reasons to use them but these are definitely the most glaring. You don't need Durendal as an out to Shadoll Fusion because you can go into Dante/Pleiades and have better results.
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Why should Tiras even be played?

Prison is like tripled and passive indestructibility is meaningless since Bottomless, Torrent, and Dark Hole are meh now.

Tiras requires Angineer, which means you're probably expending your hyper stalled early.

2600 isn't relevant when Gaia is also 2600, and end-battle destruction is less-than-stellar because all relevant removal happens during battle.

Tiras also triggers Shaddoll Fusion without being able to fizzled it like Durandal, and Astral has inherent issues.
  • Downvote 1

Candela    546

As a side note to the mole comment - has anyone else tested Kaiser Colosseum in here? The deck has two cards that turn into another card when sent to the graveyard; one of which turns into a 2500 wall. Not to mention the type of monsters you Astral Force into are generally hard as fuck to get rid of. Kaiser Colosseum really punishes your opponent for playing Wiretap over MST and it doesn't actually hinder yourself at all like Vanity's Emptiness. It also takes advantage of the main power monsters the top 3 decks play like Tour Guide, Altair, and Falco/Soul Charge.

Ethan_Frome    27
How does everybody feel about going 1st vs. 2nd? I personally always go second. I feel like the extra card is worth the risk of running into first turn vanity/nova.

Storm Wolf    1205

Why should Tiras even be played?

Prison is like tripled and passive indestructibility is meaningless since Bottomless, Torrent, and Dark Hole are meh now.

Tiras requires Angineer, which means you're probably expending your hyper stalled early.

2600 isn't relevant when Gaia is also 2600, and end-battle destruction is less-than-stellar because all relevant removal happens during battle.

Tiras also triggers Shaddoll Fusion without being able to fizzled it like Durandal, and Astral has inherent issues.

Do not underestimate Tiras, it is one of the few cards that can permanently answer an opposing Shadow-Imprisoning Mirror. Dimensional Prison and Compulse are both threats to consider, but thrashing a heavy field with Tiras feels satisfying. Besides Pleiades, it is the only other Rank 5 that I summon more than occasionally.

How does everybody feel about going 1st vs. 2nd? I personally always go second. I feel like the extra card is worth the risk of running into first turn vanity/nova.

You should always choose to go first, especially after game 1. You can easily gain a +1 on your first turn with Tour Guide or Mathematician to get ahead of the opponent in card advantage from the start, and you want to prepare your disruption cards ASAP. I also do not think that you want to see a Shadow Mirror, Stygian Dirge, BTS, etc ruin the Tour Guide play either. Summoning Pleiades is also a great play on turn 1 to disrupt the opponent early game.

»Pengwan    7720

I don't
  • Upvote 1