Gredinus

Burning Abyss - Discussion

Gredinus    268

So we now know about 5 Burning Abyss cards which is probably all we'll get from this set (I'll update the thread if I have to).

With that being said I wanted to start a discussion about these cards since I find their effects and interactions interesting.

Intro (taken from the wikia page):

The archetype is based on Inferno, the first part of Dante Alighieri's 14th-century epic poem Divine Comedy. The current Main Deck monsters are named after members of the Malebranche who guard the Malebolge– the fifth Bolgia of the Eighth Circle of Hell. They are known for their ruthless cruelty, and are responsible for the punishment of corrupt politicians by holding them under a boiling lake of pitch.

So far, all Main Deck "Burning Abyss" monsters are Level 3 DARK Fiend-Types, and share three effects: they are destroyed if the player controls a monster other than a "Burning Abyss" monster, can be Special Summoned from the hand if the player controls no Spell/Trap Cards and a third effect which is triggered if it is sent to the Graveyard.

The archetype's swarming abilities make it a potent Rank 3 Xyz Deck. They can perform Rank 3 Xyz Summons quickly while maintaining the player's hand advantage.

Archtype Cards:

Cir, Malebranche of the Burning Abyss

[spoiler]CirMalebrancheoftheBurningAbyss-DUEA-EN-

If you control a monster that is not a "Burning Abyss" monster, destroy this card. You can only use 1 of the following effects of "Cir, Malebranche of the Burning Abyss" per turn, and only once that turn.
● If you control no Spell/Trap Cards: You can Special Summon this card from your hand.

● If this card is sent to the Graveyard: You can target 1 "Burning Abyss" monster in your Graveyard, except "Cir, Malebranche of the Burning Abyss"; Special Summon it.[/spoiler]

Its stats are good for a lvl 3 fiend and it can revive the decks xyz with its effect. Pretty much the decks Abyssgunde.

Graff, Malebranche of the Burning Abyss

[spoiler]GraffMalebrancheoftheBurningAbyss-DUEA-E

If you control a monster that is not a "Burning Abyss" monster, destroy this card. You can only use 1 of the following effects of "Graff, Malebranche of the Burning Abyss" per turn, and only once that turn.
● If you control no Spell/Trap Cards: You can Special Summon this card from your hand.

● If this card is sent to the Graveyard: You can Special Summon 1 "Burning Abyss" monster from your Deck, except "Graff, Malebranche of the Burning Abyss".[/spoiler]

Weaker stats than the rest of the archtype but it compensates that with a better effect. Can set up quite a few combos with cards like Foolish Burial.

Scarm, Malebranche of the Burning Abyss

[spoiler]ScarmMalebrancheoftheBurningAbyss-DUEA-E

If you control a monster that is not a "Burning Abyss" monster, destroy this card. You can only use 1 of the following effects of "Scarm, Malebranche of the Burning Abyss" per turn, and only once that turn.

● During the End Phase, if this card was sent to the Graveyard this turn: You can add 1 Level 3 DARK Fiend-Type monster from your Deck to your hand, except "Scarm, Malebranche of the Burning Abyss".[/spoiler]

This is the decks recruiter. Not only does it have solid defense, it can also search any lvl 3 dark fiend (hello tour guide). Pretty much Sangans long lost cousin.

Dante, Traveler of the Burning Abyss

[spoiler]DanteTraveleroftheBurningAbyss-DUEA-EN-O

2 Level 3 monsters

Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card and choose a number from 1 to 3, then, send that many cards from the top of your Deck to the Graveyard; until the end of this turn, this card gains 500 ATK for each card sent to the Graveyard this way. If this card attacks, it is changed to Defense Position at the end of the Battle Phase. If this card is sent to the Graveyard: You can target 1 "Burning Abyss" card in your Graveyard, except this card; add it to your hand.[/spoiler]

This card would probably need a card discussion by itself. Its the decks beater that can trigger extra effects by milling the other Abyss cards, it going to defense is a pro and not a con because it screws with the hand cards/101. To top it all off, he turns into a reviving wall combined with Cir.

The Traveler and the Burning Abyss

[spoiler]TheTravelerandtheBurningAbyss-DUEA-EN-OP

Target any number of "Burning Abyss" monsters in your Graveyard that were sent there this turn; Special Summon them in Defense Position. You can only activate 1 "The Traveler and the Burning Abyss" per turn.[/spoiler]

The decks flood card. Seems a tad bit to situational but could work with a card like Kuribandit.

Non-Archtype Cards:

Tour Guide from the Underworld

The deck is primary composed of lvl 3 fiends and she turns off their destruction effects. Pretty much a no-brainer.

Crane Crane

Same reasons like Tour Guide, just weaker effect.

Kuribandit

Works like in Sylvans. Also a lvl 3 dark fiend for Scarm.

Mathematician

Becomes a +1 by sending Cir/Graff to the graveyard and summoning Dante/Scarm (the later destroying itself and triggering its endphase effect).

Creature Swap

Because givining your opponent a Veilered non-abyss or a Scarm is just evil.

Rank-Up-Magic Astral Force

Konami gives us a few combinations https://yugiohblog.konami.com/articles/?p=6461

Chaos monsters can also be splashed in with the addition of a few lights like Effect Veiler and Dante is already a light.

All their "send to graveyard" effects are "if" so basically any card that discards, mills or sends from the deck will work with this deck. Here are a few examples from the top of my head:

• Foolish Burial
  • PWWB
  • Raigeki Break
  • Divine Wrath
  • Needlebug Nest
  • Hand Destruction
  • Armageddon Knight
  • Dark World Dealings
  • Upvote 19
  • Downvote 1

Donnie    2189

You use the term floodgate incorrectly when you describe the Trap Card.

• Upvote 13

Accel    153

I was about to mention Gates but I don't know how important their ability to Special Summon themselves from hand is.

Gredinus    268

You use the term floodgate incorrectly when you describe the Trap Card.

[spoiler]Son_5937b7_807332.jpg[/spoiler]

Whops, that wasn't intentional.

If we were to go the Gates rute, cards like Skill Drain could be used since the cards activate in the graveyard anyway.

Also while we are at Dark World cards, Dark Smog could also be used as a side card.

Miss Click    2475

Number 49: Fortune Tune is somewhat of a ridiculous stall-out card in this deck.

Other than that, I don't know what else to contribute.

~NeoArkadia~    2794
Someone mentioned this to me, but Darkness Neosphere could do neat stuff, and its effect basically triggers the Malebranche.

Exitium    127

Someone mentioned this to me, but Darkness Neosphere could do neat stuff, and its effect basically triggers the Malebranche.

There all fiend type right?

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_Necrofear

This card looks super cute, since we are talking about cute looking cards and interactions. 

BUt yeah NEosphere's got some cute interactions too, you go even if you have a malebranche on field and in hand, and now you have a 4k beatstick applying pressure + bounces fiendish chains n shit.

Altheios    15

It also noteworthy that RUM Astral Force and Dante give you Pleiades access, and on top dantes effect works when he gets detached, similar to alucard and dullahan in RUM ghostricks. 

This might actually be a good route to take, because without Astral, the deck is unable to put actual threats on the boar

Sanjura    6663

I built this last night except I threw in Veilers and Sorc/BLS so I could do something with all these floating guys. It was working decently because you'd have 3-4 Light monsters in the main deck plus Dante/Brillant/Angineer and Pleiades for more fuel.

I didn't even consider Gates or Neosphere, shiiiiiiit. For now I think the Rank-up and Barian's Magic cards are the best ways to use these. FWIW since the main engine of this deck churns out Rank 3s, you can make Downerd Magician in MP2 into Barian's Force into whatever appropriate CXYZ or No C. monster you want. Not sure if that's really viable or reasonable, but the Extra Deck is not that cramped for space.

• Upvote 1

Gredinus    268

Another deck idea with them would be to use the Artifact engine for a chaos variant.

This would give you another way to acess rank 5s.

~NeoArkadia~    2794
Speaking of Continuous Traps: Call of the Haunted, floats everything in this Deck. You can trigger your effects during the opponent turn.

Huehuehue.

Neosphere's bouncing also lets you use the no S/T Special Summon clause.

I didn't even consider Gates or Neosphere, shiiiiiiit. For now I think the Rank-up and Barian's Magic cards are the best ways to use these. FWIW since the main engine of this deck churns out Rank 3s, you can make Downerd Magician in MP2 into Barian's Force into whatever appropriate CXYZ or No C. monster you want. Not sure if that's really viable or reasonable, but the Extra Deck is not that cramped for space.

HRM.

Well Downerd could turn into Number C104: Masquerade Umbral Horror

If you're going the Barian's Force Route, you probably want to go for:
Battlecruiser Dianthus -> CXyz Battleship Cherry Blossom
Mechquipped Angineer -> CXyz Mechquipped Djinn Angeneral
Tri-Edge Levia -> Number C32: Shark Drake Weiss
Dante -> Number C39: Utopia Ray

Really, Angeneral seems like the least worst of those, outside C104 (who's a pretty cool guy.) (and maybe C39.) C39 would be neat if there was a way to Rank Up to Leo Arms.

But I digress.

... also Alucard into Dorklord could be turned into C102.

There's something there with a Barian's Force option but I think it needs something more.

902    1773

so this is basically a free rank 3 every turn right? you can normal summon tour guide to get scarn and make leviathan, detach and search another tour guide for a 2500 beater if needed. this is insane and really does look like it will be used as an engine in the future 

Gredinus    268

So I tried out the above mentioned Artifact version against DN scrubs and it performed quite well (I need to get someone to seriously test this deck against meta with me).

I didn't like using the rank up spells so I replaced them with more generic cards aswell.

Tested deck:

[spoiler]G4VSFko.png[/spoiler]

Another deck idea I had was to make a Chaos Dragon deck, since both archtypes work with and provide milling.

Miss Click    2475

You can also use these guys with Gates j/s

Dark World Dealings and Hand Destruction are also relevant triggers.

This deck looks kind of silly.

Speaking of Continuous Traps: Call of the Haunted, floats everything in this Deck. You can trigger your effects during the opponent turn.

Also for traps that trigger BAs from the grave, that new Wyrm Soul Spring seems better than actual COTH.

300px-PhantomSpringofDragonSouls-NECH-JP

Activate this card by targeting 1 monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon that target in face-up Defense Position. It becomes Wyrm-Type. When this card leaves the field, destroy that target. When that target leaves the field, destroy this card.

Puts them in defense so Scarm can try to wall off 2000s, and not being in attack mode means you're not letting your opponent get the chance to freely punch you.

Soul Springed Malebranche retain their name, so they don't commit suicide unless you want them to.

The only difference is that Spring will self-destruct if you tribute or Synchro with the revived Malebranche (which COTH doesn't do), but it retains the ability for Darkness Neosphere to derp around and return it for further shenanigans.

• Upvote 1

iWank    411
Seems like an interesting Monarch engine.

Edit: Cancel that, Roger.

Sanjura    6663

For post Shadoll/Tellarknight format I think we need better LIGHT monsters that aren't Artifacts. I was only using Veiler because Veiler won't cause your monsters to self-destruct, and while it's good vs Tellarknights, it's not very good against this deck's biggest problem (Midrash). Artifacts aren't good vs Shadolls in any fashion except for killing Neph, and at best you're stopping an XYZ play for Tellars (but Altair->Deneb just sets it up again next turn, so....).

The problem is, no decent LIGHT monsters come to mind except Extra Deck ones. :(

+Urthor    10220

For post Shadoll/Tellarknight format I think we need better LIGHT monsters that aren't Artifacts. I was only using Veiler because Veiler won't cause your monsters to self-destruct, and while it's good vs Tellarknights, it's not very good against this deck's biggest problem (Midrash). Artifacts aren't good vs Shadolls in any fashion except for killing Neph, and at best you're stopping an XYZ play for Tellars (but Altair->Deneb just sets it up again next turn, so....).

The problem is, no decent LIGHT monsters come to mind except Extra Deck ones. :(

300px-ChronomalyCrystalSkull-REDU-EN-R-1

I mean, an entire archetype of cards that say "if you do not control any spells or traps" pretty much means hello Lightsworn in my eyes, but Chronomally/Artifacts/Lightsworn/Cyber Dragons are what's floating around right now

Honestly tho, I'm very sure that Burning Abyss "is meant" to have tuner monsters associated with it, it's a case of just waiting for them to be released.  The archetype atm feels like it's just like Spellbook after DUEA, good cards are chilling, but are woefully incomplete, and KDE expects people to play with an archetype without half the cards needed to make it work.  

»victor    6400

Well, Thunder Dragon or Thunder Seahorse, dump LIGHTs in grave without needing to be Summoned.

You can also used them towards discard outlets and Burning Abyss like them as well.

PWWB takes care of Midrash for instance.

300px-ChronomalyCrystalSkull-REDU-EN-R-1

I mean, an entire archetype of cards that say "if you do not control any spells or traps" pretty much means hello Lightsworn in my eyes, but Chronomally/Artifacts/Lightsworn/Cyber Dragons are what's floating around right now

Honestly tho, I'm very sure that Burning Abyss "is meant" to have tuner monsters associated with it, it's a case of just waiting for them to be released.  The archetype atm feels like it's just like Spellbook after DUEA, good cards are chilling, but are woefully incomplete, and KDE expects people to play with an archetype without half the cards needed to make it work.  

well NECH confirms there's going to be a burning abyss synchro, so there's likely to be a malebranche tuner or some shit

~NeoArkadia~    2794

Honestly tho, I'm very sure that Burning Abyss "is meant" to have tuner monsters associated with it, it's a case of just waiting for them to be released. The archetype atm feels like it's just like Spellbook after DUEA, good cards are chilling, but are woefully incomplete, and KDE expects people to play with an archetype without half the cards needed to make it work.

I'm pretty sure the DUEA Burning Abyss is supposed to be the "Engine" we're using, to get people interested in the theme so that they don't get mind poison rot from early cards being mediocre and decide the theme is unusable forever and ever.

Yune    240

Artifacts can kill Midrash, it just requires you to run Labrys, which has 2300 ATK, likely in place of a Beagall.

Sanjura    6663

kvkJHhf.png

Since I've been getting questions about what I'm running, here it is. Ignore the side (lol). I made this to be very anti-Shaddoll with the Breakthroughs, Chalices, mained Caius (amazing for the mirror to break the Dante/Cir wall). One thing I was thinking about doing is adding in a second Alucard since that comes up so much. I could cut an Acid Golem or Norito I suppose, but a Norito with 3-4 materials that all proc when you detach and backrow is going to be nearly impossible to clear.

• Upvote 1