Wild Caniac

The Official 2014-2015 NFL Season Discussion Thread

864 posts in this topic

Preseason starts sunday night, and DGZ has yet to make a fantasy football league either. What's up with the slacking guys?

This should be a fun season, lots of new storylines with this season, and even more bigger questions such as

How good is Seattle going to be again?

Will RG3 recover like Cam Newton did?

Which offseason acquisition will impact his team the most?

Are the Cowboys trying to put more fake beliefs in their fans by adding playoff tickets to their season ticket plans?

Will Stephen A. Smith have his revenge?

All that and more on this season of the National Football League!

Seattle will be just as good as they were last year. Their best players are back, Harvin will be in the lineup, and the biggest weakness (the o-line) was due in large part to injury (only RG JR Sweezy started all 16 games). There really is no reason to set the bar at 10-13 wins like they got last year.

AFC
1. Patriots
2. Broncos
3. Colts
4. Steelers
5. Texans
6. Chargers

NFC
1. Niners
2. Packers
3. Saints
4. Giants
5. Seahawks
6. Cardinals

Hope my chiefs can get back in. That 2nd half collapse against the colts still haunts me.

Wow what am I looking at. The Packers and Saints over the Hawks? Giants over Hawks and Cards? The Giants are not very good. What the fuck do you see when you see them play? You must be a Giants fan, and that is a ton of homerism.

Edit: You're a Chiefs fan... With the Steelers and Texans in... Wow. I don't... What the...

Wow what am I looking at. The Packers and Saints over the Hawks? Giants over Hawks and Cards? The Giants are not very good. What the fuck do you see when you see them play? You must be a Giants fan, and that is a ton of homerism.

Edit: You're a Chiefs fan... With the Steelers and Texans in... Wow. I don't... What the...

Do you understand how divisions and playoff seedings work?

I'd pick Philadelphia before I'd pick the Giants.

Do you understand how divisions and playoff seedings work?

I realized the seeding after my post, but to think that Houston and Pittsburgh are better than Kansas City or Cincinnati is silly. Houston is worse than Miami and the NYJ (shit, they may be the third worst team in the conference, ahead of Oakland and Cleveland), both of which are in the same class as Pittsburgh.

Obviously you haven't paid attention to the Niners: Aldon Smith will be suspended, they have no corners, Bowman will be rusty at best for a while, the d-line could cave at any minute if Justin Smith disappears, one of their lineman is holding out. I mean, they're on the "decline" in a way. Key players are hurt on defense and their back end is falling off. I don't see how they win the division.

The Giants are the second best team in their division:
Philly, Giants, Washington, Dallas

You talk about the other guy being biased, I think we all know you are a Seahawks fan, so it's not surprising to see you blast the Niners. I agree with most everything else you are saying, but you can't just write off the 49ers.

I don't even know how to respond to you. Sorry for not picking all of the favorites. The only thing people know for sure going into this year is that manning and Brady will be in the playoffs and the NFC west will be the best division.

I think Houston has a lot of talent on their team but they're awful at the most important position (qb) but talent elsewhere and an easy schedule I think they make the big turnaround.

Yes your Seahawks are the favorite to win the west. No they aren't a lock. That division is wide open. Even the rams I expect to be good.

NFC east is always wide open and I think Eli will have a bounce back year. (Can't get worse lol)

I'd have a hard time seeing both the Bengals and the Ravens missing the playoffs w/ the Texans and Steelers making it.  But stranger things have happened I suppose.  I don't see why the Giants are any better this year.  Rashad Jennings is horrible, so their ground game will be non existent.  Wilson is out the yr, Snee retired, which is  a massive blow to their o-line.  I don't see any reason why their defense will be any better.  I think it'll come down to Philly and Washington.  The Redskins D is so horrible, but that offense is going to be explosive as hell if everyone is healthy.  Though that's prob a long shot w/ Garcon, Desean, RGIII and Reed all as potential injury risks.

I believe in Jordan Reed. The kid is a monster.

AFC
1. Patriots
2. Broncos
3. Colts
4. Steelers
5. Texans
6. Chargers

NFC
1. Niners
2. Packers
3. Saints
4. Giants
5. Seahawks
6. Cardinals

Hope my chiefs can get back in. That 2nd half collapse against the colts still haunts me.

I say

AFC

1. Broncos
2. Patriots
3. Colts
4. Bengals
5. Chiefs
6. Ravens

NFC

1. Seahawks
2. Packers
3. Saints
4. Eagles
5. 49ers
6. Panthers/Cardinals. (Cant decide on which but i think it will be close between the two)

I see no reason why Seattle and Denver wont meet again in the Superbowl unless the 49ers or Colts upset one of them

Houston had so much talent they lost to the Jaguars twice. Andre Johnson is a ghost of himself, Arian Foster is hurt left and right, they have no tight end, and their o-line is pretty average, not to mention Ryan Fitzpatrick is the QB. Yeah, on defense they have Watt, Clowney, and maybe Johnathan Joseph? They didn't upgrade the offense, and that's what needed fixing. The defense was and will be good/solid.

I can see your take on me being a homer. I counter that by saying that the team hasn't really changed from the past 2 seasons, in which the team won 11 and 13 games. There's no reason to expect them to just clunk out. Jim Whinebag hasn't developed draft picks at all in his tenure there (only like 3 guys they've drafted have had consistent starting roles), and that their defense is going to struggle early in the year, which may be the hole that defines their season. I'm just saying, if you're making these predictions based on reasoning, then there is little, if any, reason to think that San Fran will win the division.

But yeah, idk how you can legit say that Houston will win enough games to make the playoffs. Atlanta is also dangerous, plus, I think the Lions are sleeper picks. They lost so many games at the end of games last year, that a little better coaching, and they could surprise people. They have talent everywhere but at defensive back, which the front 4 can help disguise.

Houston had so much talent they lost to the Jaguars twice. Andre Johnson is a ghost of himself, Arian Foster is hurt left and right, they have no tight end, and their o-line is pretty average, not to mention Ryan Fitzpatrick is the QB. Yeah, on defense they have Watt, Clowney, and maybe Johnathan Joseph? They didn't upgrade the offense, and that's what needed fixing. The defense was and will be good/solid.

I can see your take on me being a homer. I counter that by saying that the team hasn't really changed from the past 2 seasons, in which the team won 11 and 13 games. There's no reason to expect them to just clunk out. Jim Whinebag hasn't developed draft picks at all in his tenure there (only like 3 guys they've drafted have had consistent starting roles), and that their defense is going to struggle early in the year, which may be the hole that defines their season. I'm just saying, if you're making these predictions based on reasoning, then there is little, if any, reason to think that San Fran will win the division.

But yeah, idk how you can legit say that Houston will win enough games to make the playoffs. Atlanta is also dangerous, plus, I think the Lions are sleeper picks. They lost so many games at the end of games last year, that a little better coaching, and they could surprise people. They have talent everywhere but at defensive back, which the front 4 can help disguise.

Houston has a lot more talent than you are giving them credit for. Andre, over the last 2-3 seasons, averaged 1500+ yards and 8 touchdowns (a ghost of his former self as you said which is a testament to how good he is). The o-line is actually a point of strength for the team (strong at Center, LT, G). Foster while on the decline, should bounce back. 

The defense should return to form when it had Mario Williams with JJ Watt. Nix may end up being a steal and a quality NT. That + the run game should make Houston competitive at the very least. 

I don't think they will make the playoffs, but the team definitely will be competitive and possibly make a run at the playoffs given they severely under performed last year way below what their talent level should have allowed ala the Chiefs 2 years ago. 

I see no reason why Seattle and Denver wont meet again in the Superbowl unless the 49ers or Colts upset one of them

New Orleans actually has a defense now that, with their high powered offense, may actually be able to give Seattle a run (all bets are off it goes through Seattle obv, but this NO team is significantly improved by Byrd and Cooks). 

Denver has to go through a much tougher, and healthier NE. The Chargers improved defensively and got healthier. On top of that, they have to go through the NFC West so it wont be a cake walk schedule. 

New Orleans actually has a defense now that, with their high powered offense, may actually be able to give Seattle a run (all bets are off it goes through Seattle obv, but this NO team is significantly improved by Byrd and Cooks). 

Denver has to go through a much tougher, and healthier NE. The Chargers improved defensively and got healthier. On top of that, they have to go through the NFC West so it wont be a cake walk schedule. 

New Orleans will be incredibly solid. It's just hard to imagine them beating Seattle after the last game they played (they actually made it interesting towards the end though).

I don't think NE will be a problem at all for Denver. NE got stronger defensively but Denver will still shred right through them. NE can't run the ball and has some clock management issues (they got dismantled last postseason and the regular season game they should have lost). Chargers and Chiefs might be able to steal a game but Denver is still significantly better.

TBH you guys just sound a little too hopeful but some of your assertions are certainly plausible.

Home field advantage is going to be huge in the NFC this yr.  If Seattle gets it again, nobody beats them when they're @ home.  But I would give the edge to the Saints if they got home field.  I would have to pick Denver to win it all though.  There is just so much talent on both sides of the ball.

About Johnson, no, he's not averaging 8 TDs a year. He scored 9 TDs the last 2 years combined. All of his big years came in Kubiak's offense. On defense, you can't say Clowney goes from 4-3 end to 3-4 outside backer and becomes Mario Williams. Mario Williams did have some struggles in making the switch as a veteran, but, there is Brian Orakpo, so maybe.

In San Fran, NT Glenn Dorsey is now out for the year after tearing his pec.

On New Orleans, I don't know how much to buy into the hype of Cooks. Rookie wideouts typically struggle until their third year, and they plan on using him like they did Darren Sproles. Their defense could be good, but Vaccarro is coming back from a broken leg, and Byrd plays out of position a lot. They also have questions at corner. Oh, and the playbook to beating them is to just press Graham at the line and make him useless (see both Seattle games and the New England game).

I think the Bronco defense still sucks. Ware is already hurt, yeah Miller is a stud, but after his PED suspension he didn't do much, Ward sucks in pass coverage, and they have holes at corner left and right. They're kinda betting on Ware and Miller being unstoppable.

Atlanta is another sleeper. Healthy White and Jones, and even if their line improves a little (it got Ryan killed last year, and they did bring in a couple guys, plus, are getting Baker back), they go back to having a dangerous offense. Their defense will probably be average, but there is promise in Trufant, Alford, Bartu, and Worrilow.

I know it's only preseason but football is back😍

Arian Foster is going to have a monster year, and anyone who thinks he is a huge injury risk please let him drop to me in the 2nd round of all my fantasy drafts lol.

I would go:

1. Broncos

2. Patriots

3. Colts

4. Bengals

5. Texans

6. Steelers

1. Seahawks

2. Falcons

3. Packers

4. Eagles

5. Niners

6. Bears

Did Andy dalton really just get 115 million? I know quarterbacks are hard to find but wouldn't most people say the jury is still out on Andy?

RT @ProFootballTalk Actual base value of Andy Dalton extension is six years, $96 million, per league source. Escalators can push it higher.

Well, the jury is still out on Kaepernick but he got that monster deal. There was also Fitzpatrick before them. You almost have yo overpay or else you get stuck with garbage.

The Kaep deal isn't too bad since it's basically a yr to yr contract.  Hopefully it's the same for Dalton, otherwise the Bengals have tons of money locked into a qb that I can't see them ever reaching the super bowl w/.