Wild Caniac

The Official 2014-2015 NFL Season Discussion Thread

864 posts in this topic

NE < Baltimore

I feel like its gonna be an ugly game, but the Ravens just have more weapons than the pats do.

Denver > Indy 

Still don't trust Indy's run defense and Denver just has more firepower on both sides of the ball 

Seattle > Carolina

Game is in Seattle and Carolina isn't half the team it once was. 

Cowboys > Packers (my upset pick) 

Aaron Rodgers has been off the last couple of games and is banged up. I think Dallas's run game is much more effective against the Packers weak run D and it will travel. 

thats a joke right?

If youre going to pick a pretty big underdog atleast say stuff like the ravens pass rush will get to brady and make it tough for him, or that joe flacco will come to play and spread the ball around/they establish the run or something
Pats have Edelman and gronk and that's about it. As bad as the ravens corners have been, I trust Webb to get Edelman and a combo of mosely and hill to at least limit gronk. (See will hill vs jimmy graham )

Browner may actually be a liability against Torrey. SSS is better than lafell (even in the face of revis)

The run game should be better too.

I'm not saying the pats won't be able to score, but in terms of offensive weaponry I think the raven have the edge as yet will e able to run the ball effectively, and have better receivers to throw to with the exception of gronk.

Again tho I honestly think it will be an ugly game along the lines of 16 to 19 Baltimore

Ftr this is the same pats team that barely beat the jets ( with gronk against a worse secondary, and geno smith). Point it's an any given Sunday thing

74 953 7 TDs: LaFell
79 1065 6 TDs: Smith

LaFell did this as the third option.

It isn't just Edelmen and Gronk.

Graham went for 6 47 and 2 TDs that game lol.

Garbage time (one came when the game was already in hand for Baltimore). I don't remember who was covering on the first one ( Stewart iirc) even still 1 td for a guy like graham is a pretty good job of keeping him in check

Ftr this is the same pats team that barely beat the jets

They were missing Edelman in that game.

Also not sure why you think the ravens will be able to run effectively. There is no evidence to suggest they can.

Also not sure why you think the ravens will be able to run effectively. There is no evidence to suggest they can.

8th ranked rush offense

92 972 4 for Edelman so wr2 is by committee for the pats (ie belichick takes what's there) given lafells career I don't trust him as a weapon against a quality defense tbh

Ftr this is the same pats team that barely beat the jets

They were missing Edelman in that game.

And Connonly. The Pats do not have a viable 6th linemen.

they had to shovel out snow at lambeau lol

92 972 4 for Edelman so wr2 is by committee for the pats (ie belichick takes what's there) given lafells career I don't trust him as a weapon against a quality defense tbh

LaFell had consistent stats all year. His numbers (and Edelemen's for that matter) are essentially in 14 games. Edelmen missed the last two and LaFell had zero catches through the first two while becoming acclimated to the Patriots offense. His best games came against multiple top five D's (Bills, Broncos, Lions). It isn't so much playing against elite D. LaFell is competent enough to catch the ball if the offense is functioning properly. Getting open and catching the ball are not the problem. I trust LaFell to do his job.

8th ranked rush offense

Pats = 9th in rushing yards allowed, 3rd in rushing TDs allowed

Forsett's last 4 games. Something is amiss:

16 for 40 @ Steelers

17 for 119 vs Browns (32nd in rushing def)

10 for 19 @ Texans

16 for 48 vs Jaguars

Zero TDs

8th ranked rush offense

Pats = 9th in rushing yards allowed, 3rd in rushing TDs allowed

Forsett's last 4 games. Something is amiss:

16 for 40 @ Steelers

17 for 119 vs Browns (32nd in rushing def)

10 for 19 @ Texans

16 for 48 vs Jaguars

Zero TDs

Forsett got vultured by Pierce in that game for the TD and both our starting tackles were out, and while Yanda played alright, he is still a guard playing tackle and not having him at his natural position does affect our run game(Monroe should be back this week). 

The Texans game was an aberration for the entirety of the Ravens offense (I believe both tackles went down in this game as well, one for the season, the other should be back this week) 

Forsett apparently hurt his ankle during the jags game iirc, but even still it should have been better.

LaFell had consistent stats all year. His numbers (and Edelemen's for that matter) are essentially in 14 games. Edelmen missed the last two and LaFell had zero catches through the first two while becoming acclimated to the Patriots offense. His best games came against multiple top five D's (Bills, Broncos, Lions). It isn't so much playing against elite D. LaFell is competent enough to catch the ball if the offense is functioning properly. Getting open and catching the ball are not the problem. I trust LaFell to do his job.

http://www.nfl.com/player/brandonlafell/497302/gamelogs

The Detroit Game was good, no doubt. I don't know what happened to Detroit here as Edelman and Lafell had 20 catches combined in the game (11 for Edelman, 9 for lafell). Credit where credit is due, but Belichick had their number here. 

The Denver game I'd argue was actually awful if you go back and watch it. Brady had him lined up perfectly twice for what should have been 2  long touchdowns that lafell had go right through his hands (I remember this being the case for at least one, maybe Brady slightly overthrew him on the second, but I recall it was catchable altho difficult). Additionally he dropped one in the back of the end zone that was right in his hands. This was probably more a matter of volume than anything else (13 targets) Denver's corners also did not play well at all that game.  

Bills game I don't recall, but the stats say he was fine. 

His other good games 

KC - 119 yards - 44 of which came on a fluky garbage time TD. 

Chi - 124 yards - abysmal defense 

Other than that he has been held to about 60 yards (+/- 10 yards) in every game. So four games over 60 yards receiving, 2 of which were the result of garbage time or an abysmal defense. 

So missing a tackle for the season and Forsett being injured is an issue, especially against a good run def in NE. I've heard some speculation that Forsett is having trouble finishing the season since he's a journeyman who's never had such a large workload.

It's by no means a given that they will have success running the ball. The opposite outcome seems more likely to me.

So missing a tackle for the season and Forsett being injured is an issue, especially against a good run def in NE. I've heard some speculation that Forsett is having trouble finishing the season since he's a journeyman who's never had such a large workload.

It's by no means a given that they will have success running the ball. The opposite outcome seems more likely to me.

Eh speculation is speculation. Maybe he is getting worn out (his injury history and track record points to that), maybe the steelers decided to take away the run and force flacco to throw given we were starting a guard at RT and an undrafted FA at LT (don't know how much single high coverage was played off hand). 

I suspect having our LT back and shuffling the line can only help further Baltimore's ability to run the ball. Forsett is healthy enough to play and showed (albeit against the browns) that he can still run the ball effectively (guy is averaging 5.4 on the year and is right around or above the league average in most games) 

The only games where forsett was awful were against the Steelers (2.5 yards per carry but we were missing half the line and it could have been game flow), the texans (again injuries to the offensive line, and just an abysmal performance by the entire offense), and jax (where supposedly he first injured the ankle) 

game logs if you want to see

http://www.nfl.com/player/justinforsett/927/gamelogs

I doubt the Steelers would game plan to take away the run, given how bad their secondary was this year. Their run DEF was actually decent so I suspect that, combined with injuries to tackles and Forsett, is why the Ravens couldn't run.

Let's agree to disagree on this and see what happens tomorrow.

I doubt the Steelers would game plan to take away the run, given how bad their secondary was this year. Their run DEF was actually decent so I suspect that, combined with injuries to tackles and Forsett, is why the Ravens couldn't run.

Let's agree to disagree on this and see what happens tomorrow.

As the year progressed, I agree

Fair, should be a good game either way. 

falcons rise like phoenix

falcons rise like phoenix

still has only as many playoff wins as tim tebow lol (no but seriously matty ice is a good qb hampered by a bad FO) 

great job flaco stayed in the pocket and turned the quarter around

what a game

incredible