NetRepTodd

V.S. System LCG re-launch

NetRepTodd    202

Today at GenCon, UDE revealed their re-launch of a game called V.S. system,

[spoiler]VSBack.jpg[/spoiler]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~dates and information taken from wiki~

(excuse me ahead of time if I leave out any important information, at work and have a meeting to go to soon.  just trying to at least get the thread started.)

--------------------------

V.S. system was released as a collectable card game back in 2004; It's first expansion, "Marvel Origins", mainly featuring teams from the marvel universe (X-men brotherhood and Fantastic four sentinals).  Since then, roughly 18 main booster sets were released as well as 7 or 8 special expansions for the game, as well as competitive events such as the Pro Circuit and 10K events.  For many years, this game was thriving.  Metagame.com ran most of the coverage for the VS events as well as posted articles discussing theory and strategy.

The last set that came out was back in November of 2008, featuring X-Factor Exiles, X-Force Marauders, and Weapon X.  Since '08, the game has dropped off the map.  (This was around the same time as the legality issue of UDE printed YGO cards, konami sueing, lawsuits, etc...)

--------------------------

6 years later (8/14/2014, GenCon), they announce that they are printing a new Preview expansion for the new VS system LCG (still run by Upper Deck Entertainment), and revealed the preview set at GenCon.

We do not know how much will have changed about the game, in terms of mechanics and potential organized play.  All the card fronts in the pictures look similar to cards of the past, but the back of cards have a new logo design. 

More info will be released this weekend and within the months to come.

• Upvote 5

NetRepTodd    202

You're right, my b.  modifying op now.

Still though, quite exciting.  this is one of the first card games i've ever tried.

Miss Click    2475

They are re-releasing this as a LCG also. Not a TCG.

They got my money.

And I never really cared that much for Vs.

Miss Click    2475

QrRha5V.jpg

hv9SbgW.jpgXUwsyBg.jpg

Q8PPR5e.jpg

One wonders if they know that FFG owns the TM on LCG/Living Card Game and or FFG is involved in some way.

• Upvote 3

+Mascis    4563

very excited for this. i always though the VS. system was awesome and i hope this has a big comeback and a competitive scene. 

i've never played LCG though. it's basically like buying a board game though, right? like everything you need for a deck is one box and every box of that set/expansion is the same.

Miss Click    2475

very excited for this. i always though the VS. system was awesome and i hope this has a big comeback and a competitive scene. 

i've never played LCG though. it's basically like buying a board game though, right? like everything you need for a deck is one box and every box of that set/expansion is the same.

Essentially yes, there are typically three ways of release.

FFG's LCG Model: You buy a Core Set, priced around $30-$50 and you get about 4-8 sets of non-random/preset cards, each focusing on a faction, and with a shared set of "Neutral/Staples". So you typically can't make more than one deck out of the set but you can make any sort of deck you'd like from it. Every Month an expansion of 60 non-random/preset cards (20 x 3 copies) spread over a number of factions are released, usually priced $15 on average. You can't play these out of the Box but you can mix them in with your Core Set. Then about every 6 months, the cycle ends with a Deluxe Edition Expansion (usually priced around $25 on average) which is like a Mini Core Set that focuses intently on one or two specific factions.

Out-Of-Box Structure: This is basically like if Yugioh released nothing but good and full copied structure Decks about once a Month.

Box Expansions: Releases are slower but every set is a Core Set in its own right.

I think UDE are following the same deal as FFG. Expect to pay no more than $300 a year if you want every card ever.

The nature of this Model also means you'd avoid any excessive power creep and no retarded chase rare situations, outside of collector edition cards. Full, Alt and Extended Art are also very popular in this genre.

This is the core set contents apparently:

X-MEN

2x Bishop, Lucas Bishop
3x Colossus, Peter rasputin
2x Cyclops, slim
3x Cyclops, Scott Summers
2x gambit, Remy LeBeau
2x Havoc, Alex Summers
4x Jean grey, marvel Girl
2x Jean grey, Phoenix Force
2x Nightcrawler, Kurt Wagner
3x Professor X, Charles Xavier
2x Psylock, Betsy Braddock
3x Rogue, Powerhouse
3x Shadowcat, Kitty Pride
2x Wolverine, Logan
4x Wolverine, Berserker Rage
4x Cerebro
3x Children of the Atom
2x Danger Room

BROTHERHOOD

2x Avalanche, Dominic petros
2x Blob, Fred Dukes
1x Magneto, Eric Lensherr
4x Magneto, Master of Magnetism
3x Mystique, Raven Darkholm
3x Mystique, Shape-Changing Assassin
2x Phantasia, Eileen Harsaw
2x Pyro, St John Allerdyce
3x Quicksilver, Speed Demon
3x Rogue, Anna Raven
2x Sabretooth, Feral Rage
3x Sabretooth, Victor Creed
2x Sauron, Dr. Carl Lykos
2x Scarlet Witch, Wanda Maximoff
2x Toad Mortimer Toynbee
2x Lost City
2x Mutant Supremacy
2x Savage Land
4x War on Humanity

SENTINELS

4x Bastion, Leader of Operation: Zero Tolerance
4x Master Mold, Sentinel Supreme
4x Nimrod, Mutant Hunter
4x Senator Kelly, Anti-Mutant Advocate
8x Sentinel Mk IV, Army
20x Wild Sentinel, Army
4x Combat Protocols
3x Reconstruction Program
2x Orbital Sentinel Base
3x Underground Sentinel Base

GENERIC

2x Apocalypse, En Sabah Nur
4x Acrobatic Dodge
4x Nasty Surprise
4x Savage Beatdown
4x One-Two Punch
4x Finishing Move
4x Flying Kick
4x Cover Fire

• Upvote 2

Brian Clark    430

I played this game when I was a little kid after my yugioh deck got stolen I loved it then and im excited to play it now that  I actually know how  to play card games

Accel    153

I'll have to ask at locals if they're interested in supporting this. A card game that doesn't rape my wallet into oblivion would be a nice change of pace.

• Upvote 2

NetRepTodd    202

Any word on if DC is going to be involved? Or just Marvel?

At this point, no other information has been stated or shared.  Someone asked UDE on twitter, and they replied that "more information is coming soon."

Omega Red    100

Pretty careless that they didn't bother to update the card text to keep it in line with the way the cards were written later on. Even if they wanted to keep the old borders for nostalgias sake, they could at least update the templating.

Makes me worry this is a cash grab. DC is unlikely imo. Any word on whether we should expect brand new cards? What about the perfect opportunity we have here to retract the number of team affiliations? I'll wait for more concrete info before I get too excited.

NetRepTodd    202

Someone at gencon has apparently asked someone running this preview if old cards will be legal when organized play comes out.  They said "no".

Miss Click    2475

A lot of this is probably just promotional to build hype. Don't expect any graphic design to be final.

Schism    986

I used to play Vs system when I was younger and even went to a few pre-releases. I wasn't good at the game at the time but I also didn't understand card games as well as I do now. I'm definitely looking forward to this :) 

+Urthor    10229

Thread is not complete with Garon Williams and Muki Fific

• Upvote 1

this is dead before it even really exists. it's my understanding they haven't actually licensed the living card game model from fantasy flight games, which means, wouldn't you know, that ude is going to get sued again.

i really hope it actually works, though. i love vs.

Miss Click    2475

You can release things in an LCG Model (since it's just expansions), you just need to call it something else because FFG owns the TM on the LCG Term. Most common alternative I've seen is Expandable Card Game/ECG.

gobstopper    125

such great news! really hoping that this works and competitive play starts up! sucks the first set is gonna be so brotherhood dominated, but it is what it is. really hope ude doesnt fuck it up and we can have a game that lasts long and has good competitive play.

re: dc - part of the reason it fell origionally was cuz they lost the dc support. doubt dc is gonna be involved unfortunately

GeorgeTFP    24

I was really happy when i heard the news, but after doing a bit of research i am disappointed. I don't like this LCG model because it eliminates drafting which was day two, 9 rounds of the pro circuit which had about a million dollars in prizes, like MTG. From the interview with this guy from UDE, they don't sound to confident about re-releasing this game. They said if the fans are still there and buy the game, we will decide where to go from there. The fact the backs are different means we can't use old cards, which is stupid. All they had to do is make different formats like they use to have, Golden Age=all cards, Modern Age=latest sets. This could of made old cards worth alot if the game took off, like how dual lands are worth alot in magic. I love Vs System and i wish it gets support and something good comes from this, but i don't think it will happen. They should just sell the rights to someone and they should make it a TCG and have it compete with MTG and Yugioh. If they went by this MTG model and had big Pro Circuit like before, even if it wasn't as much money, just something decent like an ARG event, people would play. Its Marvel characters for god sake. Shit is huge right now. I however don't think DC will be involved since they dropped out of the game before the death. This might be why the old cards aren't legal. My 2 cents...

• Downvote 1

+Urthor    10229

The fact the backs are different means we can't use old cards, which is stupid. All they had to do is make different formats like they use to have, Golden Age=all cards, Modern Age=latest sets. This could of made old cards worth alot if the game took off, like how dual lands are worth alot in magic.

why the hell should they make the old cards legal?

It's a dicey commercial proposition to do this.

How does allowing the old cards to be legal help the game to survive commercially, when they've already said it's a shaky endeavour and they're anxious on what the card sales/overall take up of the game is.

They're offering a pretty great distribution model to consumers by the standards of CCGs.  Wouldn't it be 10x better for you to support UDE making their commercial product viable than complain that old cards aren't going to be allowed?

this is dead before it even really exists. it's my understanding they haven't actually licensed the living card game model from fantasy flight games, which means, wouldn't you know, that ude is going to get sued again.

what misclick said. Living Card Game as a release pattern isn't IP and can't be, it's a business model, not an invention.  There's just a trademark on the name, they can sell cards however they like, they just can't use the term Living card game.

well unfortunately they are using the term.

also drafting is perfectly possible. they just have to print packs specifically for drafting (which they will likely do).