Sign in to follow this  
Twinwood36

Pokemon World Championship 2014

Twinwood36    26

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=UypuQg6nY1w

I for one enjoy the offical Pokemon Video Game Competition and I want to spread its popularity. 

You can watch the live stream of the Pokemon World Championship, VGC and TCG here starting at 9 a.m. Eastern Saturday 8/16:

http://www.twitch.tv/pokemon#/pokemon

Incase no one knows the format;

Double Battles, have 6 pokemon, use 4 in battle.

You may only use Kalos Native Pokemon born in Kalos except Xerneas, Yvetal, Mewtwo, Zygarde, so no Hyper Voice Gardivor.

No pokemon on your team may have the same Dex Number, i.e. Rotom-W and Rotom-H.

No pokemon may have the same held item on your team. So no 6 pokemon team leftovers.

Battles are a max of fifteen minutes (internal game-clock).

You are allowed to take notes of anything about your battles.

Top-cut defenitly does best 2 out of 3.

Incase no one has ever seen the pokemon tournament style. I attended U.S. Pokemon Nationals (Open) in Indianapolis and it was the best smooth tournament I have ever attended (I do play Yu-Gi-Oh!).  They could run 6 main tournaments at a time, give us a hour and half lunch break and have us out by 3(starting at 8) with 9 rounds of swiss.  I placed 29th overall in the master divison for my first tournament ever. Day two when best two out of three started with 6 rounds of swiss we still got our lunch break and done by 3.

The prize-support is decent.  I won a mat, and hat, a binder, a shirt, and pokemon cards(there's the problem).

Pokemon qualification for worlds is based upon a point system from all of your events from over the year.

I for one enjoyed this and want others to know about this.

Things to note:

Double battles add a uniqueness to the game by preventing some pokemon to become just overpowered, most notably Mega-Gengar Parish Trap and allows for moves that would never be used, used such as Quick/Wide Guard, Rage Powder, etc.

Time-Limit. I was sick of playing smogon where I had to wait and hour and half for my Skarmory to Whirlwind everything to death. No attack on 6 v. 6 just hour and half is a long time.

The limit on items, allowing for berries and some other interisting items to be used such as weakness policy and safety goggles.

No real defined meta-game except for one thing(Mega-Kangaskan).  Meaning you can pick your favorite pokemon within the qualifications and build a team off of it. My team was actually built around Mega Sceptile believe it or not, I just switched it for Switchroo Manatric.  EVs spreads can be designed for certain pokemon to be outsped or live certain attacks. 

Pokemon above level 50 reduced to level 50. Pokemon under 50 remain under 50.

In events of a time running out the winner is determined by: Number of Pokemon left then HP % left, then the amount of HP left.

No Suspect Test. (Alright that one is an attack on Smogon)

As for TCG, idk I don't play it.

IF you're a doubter, a hater, or someone new to this, I reccommend watching the stream for a few matches, espeically near the end of the tournament.  They are enjoyable and can change drastically with luck(probabilty) factors or outplays. Entry hazards are to slow for this style of play though Sticky Web would be pretty good, but calling back can be the most important thing ever.

Format will change with ORAS, though nothing has been speculated.

Example teams:

Mine:

[spoiler]
Kangaskan @ Kangaskanite

Scrappy to Parental Bond

-Fake Out
-Return
-Sucker Punch
-Heavy Arm
Jolly w/ 6 HP/252 ATK/252 Speed.

Manetric @ Choice Scarf

Lightning Rod
-Switchroo
-Thunderbolt
-Snarl
-Flamethrower

Timid w/ 6 HP/252 Sp. ATK/252 Speed.

Bisharp @ Life Orb

Defiant
-Sucker Punch
-Iron Head
-Protect
-Brick Break

Adament w/ 6 HP/252 ATK/252 Speed.

Talonflame @ Sitirus Berry

Galewings

-Bravebird
-Flareblitz

-Quick Guard
-Tailwind, I don't remember and I'm at work so I can't look on Showdown.
Adament w/ 252 ATK/6 Sp. Defense/252 Speed

Gyarados @ Lum Berry

Intimidate
-Waterfall
-Ice Fang
-Taunt
-Protect

Adament w/ 252 HP / 20 Atk / 20 Def / 28 SDef / 188 Speed

■Survives Modest Mega Manectric Thunderbolt 100% of the time

■2HKOs 252HP Tyranitar with Waterfall 100% of the time

Gengar @Focus Sash

-Dazzling Gleam
-Sludgebomb
-Will-o-wisp
-Protect

Timid w/ 6 HP/252 Sp. Attack/252 Speed

Throughout the tournament I learned a lot about my team and what needed to change. Bisharp was garbage, and took Talonflames item of choice or I should have banded my Talonflame. Snarl needs to be replaced on Manetric and I should have made my Gyarados Spread a little more offensive. But I learned(more like reaffirmed) Mega-Kangaskan is broken and Gengar was my MVP with Dazzling Gleam putting in such great work and standing off mega-kangaskans with burn damage.

bisharp.pnggengar.pngkangaskhan-mega.pnggyarados.pngtalonflame.pngmanectric.png

[/spoiler]

Unfortuantly I can't seem to find another detailed team that doesn't have Mega Kangaskan but they do exist.  Hopefully they reveal the next most overused Mega Evolution of ORAS this weekend.

I hope all Pokemon fans take interist and look into VGC.  Showdown does have a simulator with it, but unfortunatly they do level 100s and not level 50s (Since no one is going to take the time to change it and being at a sever disadvatage). And the time limit of 15 minutes and 45 seconds to choose a move also.

Oh P.S. No sleep clause and Dark Void is legal on Smergle. But not that relevant.

Complain, discuss, ask, comment, Pokemon.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

+canasian    4105
Why can I not remember where this is c/p'd from
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

+canasian    4105
Aside from that op's team is kinda bad and it'll take me approximately 5 seconds of browsing nugget bridge to find a competitive team without kanga

Edit: http://nuggetbridge.com/reports/komunist-manifesto-8th-place-us-nationals-report/ ta-da!
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Twinwood36    26

Why can I not remember where this is c/p'd from

Because it isn't CP'd from anywhere. It was my personal account.  As for looking for another team, i wasn't having any luck on nugget bridge trying to find a U.S. Nationals Team. 

The team I played actually performed really well with just a few things that needed super change (My talonflame was horrible, and Bisharp is a piece of crap.)  But the team did have it's merits as Manetric/Switchroo would clintch any 1 battlers and would win me games in 2 out 3s.

• Downvote 3

byak    4478
Does anyone know if there's anything to do at the venue if you're not playing in the main events? Only asking because I'm relatively close this year and I just found out about it.

Twinwood36    26

Does anyone know if there's anything to do at the venue if you're not playing in the main events? Only asking because I'm relatively close this year and I just found out about it.

I would assume so.  One thing they had at nationals and I believe they are continuing at Worlds is Multi-Battles.  So if you have a friend going with you it is the perfect thing to do. They also probably havinh First Chance Regionals going on too.

• Upvote 1

Twinwood36    26

Old U.S. Champion vs. Defending World Champion, pretty intense Game 1. I though Gavin had lost game one but had a come back.  I was glad to see another move used by Salamance than Dragon Pulse.  Great game overall, but I'm glad Gavin won because U.S.A. and loosing to a Sableye is cruel.

Can't believe they only revealed Mega-Slowbro.

• Upvote 1

+canasian    4105
This Korean guy using Pachirishu/Gothitelle is awesome
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

».ben.    7438

Is the twitch being recorded anywhere? I'd like to watch these but I don't have time today.

EDIT: I know this is heresy, but I wish Smogon would make a bigger push towards 2v2. It's clearly what the mons are designed for these days. 

realrarehunter    646

I love VGC and am starting to get into it, I feel like the 5-0 vs 5-0 match the guys didn't play or try, I feel like they wanted to give very little info and strategy info to each other. Crazy.

+canasian    4105
If they're both guaranteed top cut it probably wasn't a bad strategy

Though I'm thinking if it was intentional he shouldn't have packed the Hydreigon because it was really the biggest variable on his team (and he revealed that it wasn't scarf)

+canasian    4105
Enh, on paper that was a pretty relevant match (at minimum they were by far the most standard teams they featured all day), if they were actually playing that game would've been more interesting than, say "did this guy playing against AromaSnow pack Amoonguss" or something like that which would be more common at the bubble

Twinwood36    26

Lol U.S.A. Hax(Probabilty)mons.

Incase no one knew this, Critical hits ignore all negative effects to damage(except burn, not positive) So obtaining a critical hit with Tyranitar using rock slide even though it is intimidated twice will do normal damage x the critical hit rate.  Same if your opponent increases their defenses, critical hits ignore that.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

+canasian    4105
No need to talk down to us kiddo

Twinwood36    26

No need to talk down to us kiddo

Kiddo lol.  IDK where you get this sense of superiority.

If my posts seem to be showing a sense of superiority or demeaning, I'm sorry and I will try to stop that. I'm not trying too.

It was something I just learned last week.

I learned yesterday that a poison pokemon won't miss with toxic even when the other pokemon is missing.

I just wanna keep people informed especially if they are new to the pokemon competitive scene.  If you already knew that, which you made clear that you do, it does not affect you in any manner.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

Mascis    4468

dude literally everyone who pays attention to this section and plays pokemon on smogon competitively knows how crits work

+Urthor    10188

Can you get off his case.  That's the most obscure piece of Pokemon mechanics and I guarantee there's infinite competitive pokemon players who haven't even memorised the damage formulas for criticals and instead just rely on calculators.  

+rap tap    20150

Incase no one knew this, Critical hits ignore all negative effects to damage(except burn, not positive) So obtaining a critical hit with Tyranitar using rock slide even though it is intimidated twice will do normal damage x the critical hit rate.  Same if your opponent increases their defenses, critical hits ignore that.

underrated post

+rap tap    20150

Can you get off his case.  That's the most obscure piece of Pokemon mechanics and I guarantee there's infinite competitive pokemon players who haven't even memorised the damage formulas for criticals and instead just rely on calculators.  

>most obscure

it's been widely understood for a long time that crits exist in the game to counterbalance the ability to boost one's stats with moves like dragon dance, curse, quiver dance, calm mind, etc, because being able to accumulate enough defensive boosts would render something untouchable, and gamefreak doesn't like that

i like you urthor, but this whole "i know what i'm talking about but really don't" thing can really just fuck off

• Upvote 3

+canasian    4105

Pachirisu just won the finals I'm amazed

• Upvote 4

».ben.    7438

LOL i know! I loved seeing how pumped he was.

• Upvote 2

+rap tap    20150

fucking super fang

fucking nuzzle

fucking EATING draco meteors

• Upvote 1

+rap tap    20150

se jun is nuts