La Flame    274

I haven't played in a very long time, but last I remember, Dust Tornado was a borderline sidedeck staple. 

What happened? 

I see people getting extra fancy with shit like Twister, MalCat etc. Why not keep it original? Not to mention its the easiest M/T removal/control to use aside from EP Decrees [ which can still be MST'd] . 

I was trying to understand why its been excluded so hard. Maybe its because decks nowadays set SO many backrows, but thats the only argument i can think of. 

3 MST 2 Dust and maybe 1 Malcat/Decree for heavy backrow [Or as you kids refer to it now, floodgates] decks seems like more than enough no ?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

La Flame    274

Twister is also only faceup cards. Malcat requires an attack, waiting a turn unless u went first, and can still be negated/destroyed before you use it.

Not saying its bad, Ive been running MalCat in my extra and gotten mileage out of it. I was just legit curious.

Ew Night Beam lol jk. 

oh and smd Donnie. 

La Flame    274

Like i said, been out the game since the beginning of 2014 . I come back and the playing field layout isnt even the same lol.

A lot has changed since Dragons / Mermails .

Donnie    2197

What a terrible post, hey I don't know anything about the game currently but why aren't you still doing this, could I possibly be out of the loop, could the game possibly have changed in 9 months?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Candela    550

it's a backrow format

thus cards that destroy multiple backrow but have a slightly more difficult activation window are more worthwhile than cards like DT because you can just outright win the game if you resolve them

• Upvote 3

La Flame    274

What a terrible post, hey I don't anything about the game currently but why aren't you still doing this, could I possibly be out of the loop, could the game possibly have changed in 9 months?

k.

• Downvote 5

Miss Click    2458

Twister doesn't get hit by Stun/Wiretap/Tools.

MalCat makes blowout plays in a format without Heavy Storm.

Most significant back-row is cont face-up cards, like Vanity's Emptiness, Stygian Dirge, Light/Shadow-Imprisoning Mirror, Macro, Fissure, Call of the Haunted*, And The Band Play On, Royal Prison, Royal Command etc.

*(You chain to the activation obviously.)

You generally wouldn't waste MST or Dust Tornado on cards like typical removal, which there is very little of in the first place (Prison, BTH, Timespace Trap Hole, Warning and Torrential Tribute being key ones), instead you'd just use one of your various Monster plusing archetypes like Dolls, Satellas and Burning Abyss to rectify that lowering of card count.

• Upvote 1

»victor    6391

Since you are coming back, this is a new card that hasn't really caught on yet:

300px-Typhoon-BP03-EN-C-1E.png

It'll soon be a Hand Trap on the opponent's first turn when try to Pendulum and what not, going to be relevant once we get a T1 combo that mad pluses (which is a given).

• Upvote 3

Dawgy    2045

It'll soon be a Hand Trap on the opponent's first turn when try to Pendulum and what not, going to be relevant once we get a T1 combo that mad pluses (which is a given).

But Twister is literallllllly the same thing but better since it can't be negated by Wiretap, Royal Decree, or Trap Stun and can be activated from the hand regardless of how many S/T are on your side and your opponent's side of the field.

I'd say all that alone is worth more than 500 LP, but that's just me.

Candela    550

But Twister is literallllllly the same thing but better since it can't be negated by Wiretap, Royal Decree, or Trap Stun and can be activated from the hand regardless of how many S/T are on your side and your opponent's side of the field.

the difference is that this can be activated from your hand on your opponent's turn

so basically the only significance is that you can use it t1 going second

• Upvote 1

MrMcThrasher    1277

I agree that Dust Tornado is overall the more powerful effect (blowing up any S/T as opposed to going after just faceups for 500 LP), but you mostly want to kill Faceups anyway, and Twister is quicker to do that.  Plus everyone and their mom uses Wiretap.

• Upvote 1

Dawgy    2045

the difference is that this can be activated from your hand on your opponent's turn

I shouldn't realistically be needing to destroy floodgates (the reason you'd be using this card in the first place) during my opponent's turn. They prevent me from playing YGO during my turn, not during my opponent's turn.

• Downvote 3

La Flame    274

Yeah Ive been noticing how real Wiretap is, but thats an issue for all the s/t removal excluding Twister. 

Im gonna test out Twisters in the side next after running MalCat pretty heavily. MalCat is like a 95% win if it resolves , but its not as easy to resolve anymore lol. A lot of people expect it , Ive been having having opp hold off on attacking until they draw into more real traps/removal/negation . Of course theres a downside to such a powerful card so im not surprised. 

Anybody have real success with Twister though? Only hitting faceups can get annoying until that Vanity is flipped it seems like, and I hate dead side deck cards.

Another question;

Where did the term floodgate come from lol.

Someone say it at a YCS interview and it stuck or something?

Dawgy    2045

Yeah Ive been noticing how real Wiretap is, but thats an issue for all the s/t removal excluding Twister. 

Im gonna test out Twisters in the side next after running MalCat pretty heavily. MalCat is like a 95% win if it resolves , but its not as easy to resolve anymore lol. A lot of people expect it , Ive been having having opp hold off on attacking until they draw into more real traps/removal/negation . Of course theres a downside to such a powerful card so im not surprised. 

Anybody have real success with Twister though? Only hitting faceups can get annoying until that Vanity is flipped it seems like, and I hate dead side deck cards.

Another question;

It stuck I believe around Dragon Ruler format a year or so back, when basically everyone using that deck was running 3 copies of Vanity's Emptiness + RFTDD as their only traps, if I'm not mistaken (please correct me if I'm wrong). In its prime, Vanity's Emptiness prevented the Dragon Ruler deck from basically playing YGO, which was comparable to flooding due to the mechanics of the Dragon Rulers all being at 3 (Plus their babies) alongside amazing draw power such as Sacred Sword of Seven Stars and the infamous Super Rejuvenation. 

Floodgates simply exist to prevent your opponent from playing YGO.

Miss Click    2458

I shouldn't realistically be needing to destroy floodgates (the reason you'd be using this card in the first place) during my opponent's turn. They prevent me from playing YGO during my turn, not during my opponent's turn.

I think the main consideration is trying to blow up a Qliphoth Tool but people would be silly to play Tool, play second Pendulum, Search, instead of Tool, Search, Second Pendulum.

There might also be something with Denkou Sekka

»victor    6391

Dawgy, I didn't mean to say Typhoon was better than Twister at beating floodgates, Wiretap considerations, etc.

I was mentioning the "hand Trap" to destroy Traps thing as a novelty in the realm of Dust Tornado like cards. Oh look that's cool.

I was trying to say if you're coming back, look at the Pendulum mechanic and how it might change things.

If there was ever a 2 Continuous Spell combo that pluses like mad (look at 3 Axis Fire Fist in its prime. Six Samurai which is itching to get Gateway back (Konami has steadily been giving us bits and pieces just as they did with LS, I mean they want Shien to be the anti-Pendulum, anti- Fusion Spell (Shadolls and Heroes), etc. deck it was supposed to be but it still hasn't panned out), and the fact that it's not hard to create a Pendulum interaction that says if you have these 2 things in your scales, you get a +2, I was just saying if you really want a card that would appreciate in value (not a joke like Spell Chronicle), it's going to go up with some degree of guarantee, sort of card, that's what I was getting at.

• Upvote 1

petqwe    288

But you want to destroy this:

InfernityLauncherTSHD-EN-SR-1E.png

Dawgy    2045

But you want to destroy this:

InfernityLauncherTSHD-EN-SR-1E.png

There are much better cards you could be siding vs. Infernities than Typhoon.

Like D.D. Crow.

Or Veiler.

Or Maxx.

Or Vanity's Emptiness.

Or SIM.

».ben.    7475

Another question;

It stuck I believe around Dragon Ruler format a year or so back, when basically everyone using that deck was running 3 copies of Vanity's Emptiness + RFTDD as their only traps, if I'm not mistaken (please correct me if I'm wrong). In its prime, Vanity's Emptiness prevented the Dragon Ruler deck from basically playing YGO, which was comparable to flooding due to the mechanics of the Dragon Rulers all being at 3 (Plus their babies) alongside amazing draw power such as Sacred Sword of Seven Stars and the infamous Super Rejuvenation. 

Floodgates simply exist to prevent your opponent from playing YGO.

The first time I heard it used was with regards to siding Dimensional Fissure against Dark World, which was a good bit before Dragon Ruler format. 

»victor    6391

One point in favor of Typhoon is that it wins the Twister vs. Dust Tornado catch 22 in Prophecy.

Before, Prophecy decks either had to MST/Twister Mistake (or other floodgates) but at the same time. conflict with SB of Crescent, or they could play Dust Tornado, but that being a Trap, slow, a turn too late.

But now Typhoon coming from the hand lets you better deal with the floodgate situation.

• Upvote 1

Yune    240

One point in favor of Typhoon is that it wins the Twister vs. Dust Tornado catch 22 in Prophecy.

Before, Prophecy decks either had to MST/Twister Mistake (or other floodgates) but at the same time. conflict with SB of Crescent, or they could play Dust Tornado, but that being a Trap, slow, a turn too late.

But now Typhoon coming from the hand lets you better deal with the floodgate situation.

Mistake will be chained to Secrets/RotA etc. and you can't chain Typhoon from hand since you control the Secrets/RotA.

Same thing with other floodgates chaining to s/ts, like Emptiness chained to Soul Charge or Shaddoll Fusion.