OD Superman

Goat Format Tournament at ToyWiz in Nanuet, NY (10/25)

OD Superman    1122

So it occurs to me that I might not have all of you guys on Facebook and this is probably the next best way of getting the word out about this.

It'll go down on Saturday, 10/25 at 2PM but try to arrive no later than 1:45PM. There will be a $10-entry and 100% of what comes in will also go out, one way or another. I don't want to commit to a prize structure yet because I think the best structure will depend on how many people show up although I hope you guys can trust me to make it both fair and enticing when it comes time to play. I'll be sure to go over this at the player meeting to hear y'all out and make sure at least most of us are okay with whatever payout we decide.

It'll be a Swiss tournament of the April 2005 TCG format with everything up to but excluding CRV. Exarion Universe is okay, however burn/mill/OTK and all the other dumb stuff is not okay. For example, Morphing Jar and Cyber Jar are okay. Cyber Jar and Book of Taiyou fall into a gray area. Cyber Jar, Book of Taiyou, and A Feather of the Phoenix are not okay. That said, everything in the gray area may or may not be okay depending on the rest of your deck. (Note that you may proxy your extra deck.) If you're unsure if your deck is legal, just ask me now and I'll tell you because once Round 1 starts, it'll be too late to make changes to your deck and you'll get DQ'd. Once more, there will be a zero tolerance policy here. Please use common sense.

Decklists may not be changed between rounds and rounds will be timed (50 minutes) but the time limit won't be enforced unless absolutely necessary because no one likes losing in time and I want to free people from having to side an excess number of burn cards. On the other hand, note that once the time limit is reached, your match may be put into sudden death procedures at any time. The number of rounds will depend on how many people show up, and the same goes for how many people can make it into top cut. Both will be announced at the player meeting. All the top cut matches will be untimed and best 3 out of 5 games, whereas all the Swiss matches will be best 2 out of 3 games.

I encourage everyone with a Facebook account to join this Facebook group to ask questions, get answers, stay informed or otherwise just let me know that you plan to come. Better yet, join and add your friends to the group so more people show up and we all have a bigger prize pool. 

I also encourage everyone to buy the necessary supplies for this ASAP so they arrive in time. I bought a copy of my Boston deck for less than $20 (see below) on TCGPlayer. The whole process took less than 10 minutes and I was able to save a bunch of money because they have a really nifty feature called the "cart optimizer" which lets you buy each card in your cart from the cheapest sellers in a way that'll account for the "$1 minimum order per seller" rule. Anyway, check it out, you'll see what I mean. After using it once, I decided I'll never buy cards elsewhere ever again.

txMWRHh.jpg

Comments or questions? Share them below.

• Upvote 8

+Paraliel+    8032

Darn, I'm gonna be in NY the weekend before for the Circuit event shame I won't make this :(

oh lol this is in nanuet,

I was just hiking in Tuxedo last week

OD Superman    1122

oh lol this is in nanuet,

I was just hiking in Tuxedo last week

That's less than a half hour away! By car, I mean. Little longer if you're hiking, lol.

Why not just use a definite banlist instead of just leaving it up to the players who may or may not have the same intentions as you? I know I would rather see a list of cards that I know I can't use rather than show up to the event and find out that my deck is illegal because we have different ideas on what is "dumb".

For example, my store has implemented the following banlist, to great effect, in order to restrict what decks see play and to make the format more tolerable by getting rid of some the more unfun stall/OTK decks:

Armed Samurai - Ben Kei

Cyber-Stein

Rescue Cat

Book of Taiyou

Level Limit - Area B

Messenger of Peace

Monster Gate

Reasoning

Wave-Motion Cannon

Gravity Bind

Last Turn

Ojama Trio

Self-Destruct Button

Wall of Revealing Light

OD Superman    1122

Why not just use a definite banlist instead of just leaving it up to the players who may or may not have the same intentions as you? I know I would rather see a list of cards that I know I can't use rather than show up to the event and find out that my deck is illegal because we have different ideas on what is "dumb".

For example, my store has implemented the following banlist, to great effect, in order to restrict what decks see play and to make the format more tolerable by getting rid of some the more unfun stall/OTK decks:

Armed Samurai - Ben Kei

Cyber-Stein

Rescue Cat

Book of Taiyou

Level Limit - Area B

Messenger of Peace

Monster Gate

Reasoning

Wave-Motion Cannon

Gravity Bind

Last Turn

Ojama Trio

Self-Destruct Button

Wall of Revealing Light

Honestly, two reasons: 1. I wasn't prepared to revisit each set and I wasn't confident in my ability to recall all the dumb stuff off the top of my head. That said, I didn't want someone to buy cards for an OTK that I failed to specifically forbid, show up, and get pissed at me for DQing them. It was just much easier to say, "No dumb stuff," and leave people to ask me if they were unsure. Either way, I'm sure the results will be the same, so I still don't think it would've been worth the extra work on my part. 2. I don't want to stop people from innovating. As it is, I don't think your list is that great because I'd say 1 WMC is fine. I'd also say Wall is fine. And Reasoning might be okay too, in the right deck. It'd be cool to see someone use that in, I don't know, maybe a Zombie deck or something, and I don't want to outright stop that from happening.

Jazz    5332

Glad I saw this now. Ima try to make the trip up for this. :)

Got my deck in a few weeks ago, TCGplayer is legit +++

Also got a second deck if anyone needs one and can give me some collateral

Plsnobully    776
Edit: Making this with a friend.

Also, driving from Manasquan NJ to Old Bridge NJ then to the event. If you're on the way I have space in my car for 1-2 people. Edited by Plsnobully
  • Upvote 1

OD Superman    1122

Will try and make this with a friend. It's I think an hour and a half drive but should be fun.

Looking forward to meeting you!

If I go I'll have to take the train up. Unless there's someone coming up from NYC. Would anyone be able to give me a ride? Either from the city or from the nearest train station?

OD Superman    1122

If I go I'll have to take the train up. Unless there's someone coming up from NYC. Would anyone be able to give me a ride? Either from the city or from the nearest train station?

You mean, nearest train station to ToyWiz? I might be able to do that, depending on where it is and when you plan to arrive. HMU.

You guys should record some matches and upload to youtube. I think that would be cool. 

I think they were planning on doing this.  The guy in this video mentions uploading matches and doing deck profiles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDI4JJ8zPQw&list=UU9_5bSAKuBHmE7OLrvg7YKw

Plsnobully    776
I should mention now, but I'm bringing up a blank mat for people to sign/drawn on or whatever like I do at any event. So don't be weirded out and draw on a mat.
  • Upvote 1

Soul    7945
How much is a Goat deck approximately?

Nvm, just saw bottom of OP. Might attend this.

Soul    7945

Edit: Making this with a friend.
Also, driving from Manasquan NJ to Old Bridge NJ then to the event. If you're on the way I have space in my car for 1-2 people.

If you are serious about this, I live in Lyndhurst and would be down. Otherwise I would probably be training it there.

Plsnobully    776
I think that's on the way, I have room for one more so if you want a ride just PM me. I'm probably taking the GSP up.

Jazz and I are taking the train up. Set to arrive around 1230 if anyone wants to come with us or pick us up

Plsnobully    776
I'm looking for three thunder dragons, and my friend's deck won't be done in time. If someone can loan him one that'd be swellar. Also Soul if you still want a ride message me.

Jazz    5332
^yeah I've got an extra, it's pretty standard I think. Might not have full complement of fusions but Kris said we could proxy them

Plsnobully    776

Awesome, I'll let him know. If you want collateral for it I'll tell him as well.

Jazz    5332
Oh I have to leave by 8 btw, because the trains stop running =/

same. unless someone could give me a ride somewhere near nyc or cranford NJ