confuse ray

First time living in snow - tips?

confuse ray    4211
Moved from Texas to Wyoming and its already fucking snowing over here. this is actually the 1st time in my life ive ever seen snow.

any tips for clothing,gear, shit i need for my car? i literally came up unprepared
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Down in Flames    128

Jackets, Beanies, Gloves, Boots, basically the regular gear. Idk about your car, though.

MAKE SOME SNOWMEN AND SNOW ANGELS.

• Upvote 1

aurirevoir    2860

give your car time to warm up in the morning or whenever you go somewhere.  technically you could just drive it right away but that's going to spell bad news for your car over time.  you probably want to leave your tank above half full at all times during the winter as well.  these have less to do with snow but are more about very cold temperatures

also get a snow brush/scraper if you don't have one yet

• Upvote 1

Jesus the Jew    985

Dress in layers. This is really important especially if you are going in and out of the building often. In the middle of winter I wear a shirt, sweater, jacket and then outer jacket. I'd even consider long johns to keep your legs warm.

• Upvote 1

+rei+    34402

give your car time to warm up in the morning or whenever you go somewhere.  technically you could just drive it right away but that's going to spell bad news for your car over time.

Vehemently disagree - your car needs to actually be doing something for the heater to really get working and for the engine heat to start climbing as necessary. Even diesels don't need to be babied like this. That said don't thrash the throttle either until car is at temperature (keep it at reasonable RPMs)

Snow tires are a godsend and really help a ton - I'd recommend buying a cheap set of steel rims to put them on - the initial cost is higher but at least here the cost of swapping tires on rims is like $50 (or do it yourself), the cost of putting new tires on existing rims is like $175 - if you're eating that cost twice a year the rims become worth it pretty quick.
In Canada at least snow tires drop your insurance premiums.

get a snow brush for your car, never let it leave your car.
good thin pair of leather gloves is useful for de-icing and starting to drive, doesn't need to be crazy bulky + hard to adjust the stereo with massive gloves.
I don't bother with a ton of emergency supplies but there are resources out there to google for shit to keep in your car in poor conditions.

Never put your high beams on in whiteout conditions

slamming on your breaks when you have no traction will go really badly for you

Plsnobully    776
Make sure you figure out if your car is all, front or rear wheel drive. Everyone else is right with their advice. I'd say bring a pair of extra socks in your car. Like that is super important since if your feet get wet through your boots you'll have the worst day.

If your car is RWD, like mine, be extra careful when driving.

IAmTheGreat    3772
Put a shovel in your trunk. Also an extra thick jacket and maybe even de-icing salt.
  • Upvote 1

+rei+    34402

If your car is RWD, like mine, be extra careful when driving.

Just to add to this - the reason that RWD has trouble in the winter is the lack of weight over the back tires. You can assauge this a bit by loading your trunk with sandbags to put more downforce on the tires
  • Upvote 2

+Paraliel+    8010

give your car time to warm up in the morning or whenever you go somewhere.  technically you could just drive it right away but that's going to spell bad news for your car over time.

Vehemently disagree - your car needs to actually be doing something for the heater to really get working and for the engine heat to start climbing as necessary. Even diesels don't need to be babied like this. That said don't thrash the throttle either until car is at temperature (keep it at reasonable RPMs)

Snow tires are a godsend and really help a ton - I'd recommend buying a cheap set of steel rims to put them on - the initial cost is higher but at least here the cost of swapping tires on rims is like $50 (or do it yourself), the cost of putting new tires on existing rims is like $175 - if you're eating that cost twice a year the rims become worth it pretty quick.

good thin pair of leather gloves is useful for de-icing and starting to drive, doesn't need to be crazy bulky + hard to adjust the stereo with massive gloves.
I don't bother with a ton of emergency supplies but there are resources out there to google for shit to keep in your car in poor conditions.

Are snow tires the ones with the chains? Cause I don't think you can use those everywhere

+rei+    34402
No they are not. they're just tires with a different tread patterns, chains are called chains and are illegal in a lot of places (including most of Ontario)

Angeles    213
I once used cat litter to get my tires unstuck from ice/snow. Found it on the internet and it worked. So keeping a small bag in the trunk won't hurt.

+rei+    34402
on a similar ghetto solution you can stick a candle in an empty pop can (cut the cenre and glue it in) - lighting the candle will heat the aluminum and help melt some of the snow away if you're stuck.

then put kitty litter there.

#redforemanlogic
  • Upvote 1

»CheyMcFly    4636

The North Face probably has the best winter gear.

However if you buy a northface jacket you are required to wear black leggings and tan uggs with it
  • Upvote 3

»CheyMcFly    4636
I like to keep a giant bag of rock salt in my house. You can never have too many pairs of gloves or hats.

If it is supposed to snow a lot over a day I would go out and shovel every hour/ whenever it gets to about an inch high. It makes shoveling a lot easier than if you waited yo shovel like 8 inches at once.

Space heaters are a life saver.

Some people really like to use these foot and glove warmers but I dont think ive ever personally tried them. But they are sold at rei.com so they must be good :)
http://rei.com/c/hand-and-foot-warmers

»Relianah    4515

Are snow tires the ones with the chains? Cause I don't think you can use those everywhere
didn't you ask the same question last year?
  • Upvote 1

Medb    772

However if you buy a northface jacket you are required to wear black leggings and tan uggs with it

What brands leggings would be best for winter? Have to make sure they're warm enough.

asfggh    3891

What brands leggings would be best for winter? Have to make sure they're warm enough.
If it's anything like here, from target or wherever similar is fine as long as you stretch them enough so they're see through
  • Upvote 2

Weevil    22

Some tips from your yung nigga out in canada namsayin fams;

Firstly, dont get caught in cold winter streets rocking converse shoes, shit aint a joke. Those shoes are not built for winter, and if you wear them in winter you will pay.

Secondly, skkraight up stick a shovel in your trunk in case u gotta shovel ur shit out a snow ditch.

You gonna need long johns if you gotta walk anywhere. They're like pants that you wear under your pants, they're like tights for real ass goon niggas.

If you dont got gloves, get rolled on.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

+rei+    34402
Do you live in Northern Sask or some shit? Long underwear isn't necessary... well, ever imo, but realistically at least not till -30