Sign in to follow this  
Kyary

Advice on Jobs

Kyary    2424

So I come asking advice of you once more, DG.

I recently got employed at Toys R Us.  It was really nice for the first few weeks, and I don't really mind working there.  I've made sure everything I do is top notch, and always helped whenever someone needs it.  Whether it's Customers needing to find something, an employee needing someone to cover their break, taking items out to a car, or backing up the registers; I'm always the first one to answer the call for help.

My main issue with this store is that the schedule is released every Saturday OR Sunday, usually giving me 1 day notice on whether or not I'm working.  They're extremely strict with how they handle time off requests, and are generally not accommodating.  For example, I put in a time off request for my birthday weekend (October 30-November 2) back in mid September.  They scheduled me to work the Saturday of that weekend, and when questioned they said "We never got your request".  I was told not to ask/bug them about the request, but I felt almost like I should have to see if they had at least gotten it.

I had asked to trade my shift for this upcoming weekend since I'm going to be working for an event (and getting paid ~$300 for doing so), but was only able to find someone to cover 3 hours.  No issue, I'll just use up some of my accrued personal/vacation time.  Lo and behold, I need someone to cover the full shift or nothing, which is something that has never been an issue in the past.  

They also got upset because I do work every so often for another job on weekends, but I made sure to not ask for time off during the blackout dates (11/23-12/31), and they told me I'm not allowed to request any time off for anything during November/December, which would directly go against what they had initially told us.  

I just really don't know what to do.  I feel like I'm not being appreciated for the hard work that I've done so far and continue to provide for them, and it's just really crushing to me.  I have to make a decision by either tonight or tomorrow on how I want to go on, but it's just really tough. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Hawkeye    365

Welcome to the industry of retail bro. They'll continue to treat you like shit until you either get fed up and quit or find another job and put in a two weeks notice. I worked for Wal-Mart unloading their Gen Merch truck 5 days a week 4p-1a and it was garbage. You don't get paid what you're worth and they barely want to treat you like a human; all you are to them is a slave pretty much. Either way you go, make sure you have something permanent and guaranteed lined up before you leave.

• Upvote 2

Kyary    2424

Welcome to the industry of retail bro. They'll continue to treat you like shit until you either get fed up and quit or find another job and put in a two weeks notice. I worked for Wal-Mart unloading their Gen Merch truck 5 days a week 4p-1a and it was garbage. You don't get paid what you're worth and they barely want to treat you like a human; all you are to them is a slave pretty much. Either way you go, make sure you have something permanent and guaranteed lined up before you leave.

Well, I don't know if I would be putting in 2 weeks notice if I can't work this weekend and wouldn't even end up coming in.  I don't know what the fuck to do.

»Paxman    4776

What do you mean you don't know what to do? Care less about the work, scrape by, look for a new job in the mean time. Then, when you're finished, go up to the manager who didn't get your request, tell him to lick your scrote, and then leave.

Kyary    2424

What do you mean you don't know what to do? Care less about the work, scrape by, look for a new job in the mean time. Then, when you're finished, go up to the manager who didn't get your request, tell him to lick your scrote, and then leave.

I mean that I have another job this weekend, and would be LOSING money by working at this place.

»victor    6400

Are there any Costco's near you?

People say those treat their employees really well.

Soul    7945
Yeah unfortunately this is retail. Try to become good friends with your bosses?

Flacko    2143

Well, you could be a slob that just mooches off of his/her friends but you need friends to do that so just to be sure I'm not spamming read that 

|

\/

The best plan to have here is to hang onto this job of yours until you can find a half-decent or better job, so toughen up or go live with your parents. (implying that you have parent etc.)

Medb    773

I was in the same kind of boat when I worked at Calvin Klein and Osh Kosh B'Gosh I eventually left because essentially the work wasn't worth it, on top of the managers never doing anything to help get the store set for the next day really.  From my experiences, if you go to a job that has a smaller amount of employees (I went from 8-10 at each Calvin Klein and Osh Kosh B'Gosh, down to 4-6 at Sunglass Hut), the work you do obviously gets appreciated and noticed a lot more, and since the stores can run on fewer people, the rate of pay tends to be higher (my rate of pay went up a dollar between retail locations). I personally understand where they're coming from in regards to the you wanting to take an hour of time off you've accrued, but from their standpoint, they're losing an hour of somebody working, which can delay everything.  Unless there was someone scheduled to leave within the hour of the part of your shift that can't be covered, it throws off the entire days schedule.  I've learned with requesting days off, to hand it directly to whatever manager makes the schedule if you are working at the same time as them.  Not to mention, they rarely pay too much attention as to what each individual person does, but rather just the company as a whole.

In regards to as to whether or not you should stay, that really all depends on whether or not you like the work and the environment.  At CK and OKBG, I felt like I was just spending 98% of my shift going around and cleaning up after customers, and cleaning the store, while the manager stood around the register (granted during slow periods like now, it was mostly just standing around talking with the manager).  But, I didn't like the fact it was minimum wage, and since I was working both jobs at once, there was frequent schedule conflicts since they're in the same mall, no real room for promotion (they both seemed to prefer to higher people from outside the store for management, rather than promote people).  Thats when I decided to go to Sunglass Hut instead since it involves more direct and personal interaction with the customer, and it feels like I get to truly help them, which is the part I enjoy about the job.

So, my advice, figure out first if you truly enjoy the job and what it entails. Most of what you said is just crap that happens in retail, and will continue to happen until you get into a job where you're more likely to be appreciated (whether it be because of less people, or because they actually pay attention to what the associates do).  So, determine what you like about the job, and figure out if you want to deal with the extraneous stuff. If not, find a job that fits what you enjoy more.  I'm not sure what Toys R Us' policy is on no-call-no-shows, but I'd probably have that person cover the 3 hours of my shift, and work the other job. If they can you, find another job. Around this time of year, a lot of places are hiring, and if you're a good employee, they keep you around.  As others have said, that kind of stuff won't go away, its retail, and the managers you work with (and possibly company policy).

I don't know if any of this helps, since I rambled a bit, but I hope my long-winded speech about my personal experiences can give some kind of guidance.