Sign in to follow this  
Urthor

Binding of Isaac Rebirth

+Urthor    10234

Game's pretty nuts.  Yeah.  Great modern roguelike.  Yeah.

Vincent210    510

I dug the game in it's first form and I have a feeling I'll like this one, too. A lot of the new items and powers are absolutely sick. The Ludovico Technique looks like you can end up with all kinds of weird combos.

+Urthor    10234

I dug the game in it's first form and I have a feeling I'll like this one, too. A lot of the new items and powers are absolutely sick. The Ludovico Technique looks like you can end up with all kinds of weird combos.

Ludvico's one of the worst ones tbh.  No matter how controllable it is, it really does nerf your DPS massively, which is true of basically any of the powers that don't give you autofire.  

Vincent210    510

Well as far as I understood it if you got ringworm/wiggleworm you did a hit for ever individual twitch it made and could do circles inside of a boss' model in order to get major dps because of it's already weird properties

+Urthor    10234

yea it is wow yea

I really love how Cancer is the best trinket in the game though, and it really kinda is.  Just pure DPS.  

»Paxman    4776

Cancer has always been best. I platinum god'd three times in normal Isaac. Is this worth the pickup? Different enough?

+Urthor    10234

It's the same game with all the content they released so far included, but the art is new, they've doubled the amount of items, which really throws you off because you haven't memorised all of them, added 30 new challenges, and like 3 new characters but I don't think any of them are that different idk.

There's probably new bosses, somewhere, but I suck and have only cleared the womb 2-3 times.    

Yea it's worth a pickup because Binding of Isaac is the tits, and it's only 15 

Bazoo    5701

It's free for PSN this month as well. 

Vincent210    510

So yeah that Boss Rush shit is insanely fun, if you shrekt Mom in 20 minutes or less (as in from start of game to finish blow under 20:00) you get access to a large room with four items. Taking one will cause the other 4 to vanish and then you fight allllllllll the normal floor bosses. All of them. In Mortal Kombat.

I mean this is probably old information because wiki's exist and therefore secret content does not but since this game still has that shining veneer of "new" on it I haven't been looking anything up that I haven't found yet and have been letting everything be a surprise. It's been a pretty great experience.

+Urthor    10234

So yeah that Boss Rush shit is insanely fun, if you shrekt Mom in 20 minutes or less (as in from start of game to finish blow under 20:00) you get access to a large room with four items. Taking one will cause the other 4 to vanish and then you fight allllllllll the normal floor bosses. All of them. In Mortal Kombat.

I mean this is probably old information because wiki's exist and therefore secret content does not but since this game still has that shining veneer of "new" on it I haven't been looking anything up that I haven't found yet and have been letting everything be a surprise. It's been a pretty great experience.

new to me lol, I'll go for it.  

I really think Isaac is a game that forces you to look up the items.  Like I really feel the game loses so much of value when you don't know what hte item you are trying to pick up does.

Like http://bindingofisaac.wikia.com/wiki/Dead_Cat, I picked up this guy with an 8 heart container Magdalen because I didn't know what it did.  

Never again. 

Vincent210    510

My only tip is if you have any single-target damage items or whatever (i.e. Bob's Rotten Head) you save them for the Carrion Queen because letting it fuck up the map with a buncha red-poop is a huge problem once you're trying to dodge around and realize you're gunna take damage for no reason.

As far as the item-lookup goes, I would agree. The caveat in this case that I'd propose is this game offers a unique space in which I can have my cake and eat it too.

Due to have played the shit out of the first Isaac (all characters, chest, etc. didn't plat god because some things were boring and [insert mundane excuse here]) I know what every single base game item does, either via wiki-lookup or just using them. Because of that it means I enter this game knowing the majority of the item pool; while they really did add a fuckton of content the fact remains that the base game represents the majority of the content available.

Ultimately, I know enough of the enemies and content that I can afford to be unaware of the new content. I can grab poor choice items and still be able to actively correct a run even if new items cause me to falter, and when new items work out for me it's just way more fun.

In other news, I got the consumes-hearts version of Bum Friend and he was my fucking herooooo. Input red heart drops, output spirit heart drops. He makes Azazel insane and can provide major sustain to any run that is already successful. Speaking of Azazel he is easily my favorite.

Groot    526

yeah i had that bum friend with the new conversion item (Basically turns a soul heart into a heart container, broke as fuck) as my first few items during one run yesterday. I basically had full heart containers before I was out of the basement levels

Sage.    757

Yeah this game is nuts.  I absolutely love Tech/Brimstone with homing tears - probably my favorite combo to get so far.  Azazel is bonkers.  Hard mode is actually a lot harder and the secret character is incredibly difficult and I love it.

»Paxman    4776

Get Ipecac and Dr. Fetus or Brimstone and Ludovico (sp?) Technique. Insta wins.

Also has everyone unlocked The Lost? What a weird set of requirements that absolutely no one would ever get organically.

».ben.    7437

I'll be honest - I have no idea what's going on when I play this. 

• Upvote 1

my favourite build i've gotten so far is:
double shot
chocolate milk
that stun tear
monstros lung

was hitting pretty much the whole room, 2 shotting bosses with the 1st one stunning them, it was a shame i did not have the key to vs mega-satan