Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chief

buying first car

21 posts in this topic

So I just graduated last summer, have a full time job, started to pay back loans and contributing to my 401k for work. I am now looking to possibly buy my first car but im clueless on how to decide or go about on picking. I travel about 70 to 80 miles a day. I have a little under 10k saved for a car and and finance the rest without a problem. Would i be better off buying a beater or something newer? Any help or tips would be great

Really depends on what your plans are later? Like you said, you have in the ballpark of 5 figures saved up. It's a good amount, but not much. Personally, I would buy a used hoopty. You'll find a pretty decent ride that will get you from point A to point B for around a fifth of what you have allocated. Then you can just put a decent sized down payment on a really nice ride down the road. You are still young, so I wouldn't be too concerned about how the car looks for now, instead more about how it runs. Obviously this is basic, but I'm not sure what kind of brand or model you'd prefer so can't really help you there. 

I think realisticly what I want to do is buy something newer that has a lot better mpg than what Im currently driving(20 mpg) and to also get my own instead of using my parents extra car. It also needs to drive well in bad weather i.e. heavy rain and more so snowy weather. Im a chemist so unless theres a 5 ft blizzard going on I won't be able to gurantee a day off using vacation days. For example right now I'm looking at a honda civic coupe. Something small and gets 30/38 mpg. But after that do I look to get the newest model or would I be better off buying an older model? Or would buying a beater just be more financially sound for me?

Tariq, you can buy a really good vehicle for around 1/2-3/5 of what you have saved up, 5k-6k easy. Make sure to test drive it. Make sure the engine and tranny aren't making funny noises, check the oil and tranny fluid and make sure it doesn't smell burned and make sure the oil doesn't smell like gasoline since that's a pretty big sign that the engine block has some seal issues. Make sure the engine block isn't oily or greasy looking since that's also a sign of seal issues. Make sure the belts are in good order and the pullies aren't making any noises or seizing up. Also, some things to note are condition of springs, tie rods and axles as both of these items are quite expensive to replace. You should be able to get a feel for these from the test drive. Honestly, your best bet is to go buy a certified pre-owned vehicle since those usually come with a decent warranty. Also, if it snows there a decent amount during the winter, make sure to buy an all-wheel drive or front-wheel drive vehicle since those are best for frozen/snow covered roads. 4-wheel drive is also an option but it's a truck only kind of thing and with the amount of driving you'll be doing, gas will most likely eat you alive. If you buy from a private party, if you can get receipts from maintenance (oil changes/plug and wire changes, etc) then it's a major plus. I hope this helped man. Good luck.

buy a used toyota or honda or subaru

Used not new is the more financially wise choice. Not ancient, but just slightly used.

If you are going for a new economic ranged car (<15,000-20,000) you won't get a lot of cuts, you'll lose value, and have higher insurance rates (although full coverage). But even from dealers, last years used models won't get a steep cut, when I was searching for used cars dealers really weren't offering good deals.

I had a month subscription to carfax when searching. One guy didn't disclose a big wreck, but he still wouldn't come down much on his price. I guess it helped me avoid that. 

I can't give much advice. 

But I bought a one year old model new, I couldn't talk them down on the price because it was already "at margin" or whatever. $13,000 but interest brought it up close to normal value. So it wasn't much a deal.

My sister bought a used car all in cash around $10,000 with less than 20,000miles I think. She later lost her financial stability, so it was a very nice call on her end. 

Both cars run fine.Not sure what to say.

Gas is pretty bad in my experience with the 2 Maximas I've owned. Toyota is a car that's in my family for a while and has always been reliable.

I was considering a sentra. I stopped by the dealership last weekend. They offered me about 2500 off msrp and 0% financing. It wasnt along the route i was considering but it seems like a good buy

Nissans are solid and reliable cars, not as good on gas, and holy fuck their power steering assist drives me nuts. Steering wheel gives no resistance whatsoever

I am buying a used car also as my jeep just gave out on me this morning on my way to work :/ 

I have two kids though so this is what I am looking forward to buying for our two trips to disney world and then mackinaw island 

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/4834618213.html

with a third kid coming in the near future possibly this will have so much space and will be comfortable just for the two kids and my wife and I to drive down to florida in.....

:( sometimes i miss the single life haha jk but seriously i hate having to drive family vehicles

Don't buy a dodge, i mean if your last chrysler product giving out on you wasn't a hint.
(don't buy a honda odessey either though they have transmission problems. Look for a toyota sienna or a mazda5/mpv - though in general the large SUV market is probably better for you if your kids aren't giant. That third row of seats isn't super crucial)

yea my daughter is six and son is 18 months so they arent big by no means lol, my jeep was at 215,000 so I cant complain about it finally giving out on me, i was just looking for the next cheapest thing to buy with low miles (I come from a family of mechanics) i just dont really feel like putting the money into my jeep thats over 200,000 when i could use that money to buy something else 

makes sense

http://www.drexelhillnissan.com/New-2014-Nissan-Sentra-S-Philadelphia-Pa/vd/22896111

This is the car. it has an estimated 30/39 mpg, but i know not to expect that since the numbers are usually fudged.  The only reason Im considering it is because of 0% fniancing. Looking at new honda civics and theyre about 4k more so Im defintely not willing to go that high over what I was originally willing to spend

The 2014 Sentra S with CVT's MSRP is less than that price dude, your'e getting bent over on a soon to be outdated model year, and the civic is more because you get more car.

WHat are Corollas going for? And if cost is such an issue have you looked at Yaris and Fit?

I havent been to toyota yet but on a dealers website close to me they have 2015 corollas for about the same msrp as the sentra

They would likely be a better purchase

Hey yo piggybacking at this

So I wanted a car probably around 8kish, with good gas mileage doesnt have to be any particular size but I live in the delmarvapa area which is a 50/50 coinflip on harsh winters.

What are ppls experiences with older model hybrids btw?How does age affect the tech? They seem to have meager safety ratings from a quick bluebook scroll :x