• Announcements

• rei

Battle of the Anime Characters   02/10/17

THE BATTLE OF THE ANIME CHARACTERS HAS BEGUN   Find it here http://duelistgroundz.com/index.php?/forum/615-battle-of-the-anime-x/
MrVincenzo

Remember when X was worth an arm and a leg back when ...

88 posts in this topic

Secret rare soul taker was 70+ for a little while

Judgment Dragon was going for 400$ on ebay when it came out. I pulled one.

Wait, if we're counting jump promos, legal slifer was 80-100 until reprint in gold dropped it to like 45

Judgment Dragon was going for 400$ on ebay when it came out. I pulled one.

I do not remember this at all. I only remember it reaching $200 the weekend it came out.

Play sets of ultra Plaguespreaders were going for $300 the weekend of the Crossroads of Chaos sneak. I had 6 of them at the time lol

Wasn't Destiny Hero Disc Commander going for stupid amounts during Perfect Circle and Dark Return because it came with some DR game and pretty much required you buying the game, taking the cards out and then returning the game or whatever? Lol

DMOC went for decent money for a long time.

i wanna play some perfect circle now

Judgement Dragon was $300 during the Nats right after it came out

Wasn't Smashing ground when it first came out as a common $15-$20? 

oh and super rejuv went from like 30c to $5-$15 a pop nats season.

Emersblade from $90 to 90cents smh

Substitaods were 20 ech here

D draws 110 ech smh

heraks 200 each smh

Sakuretsu Armor was pricy for a hot minute way back when. 

Smashing Ground was not that high right away.  They did get that high a few sets later though.

I had two super GK spies right around when recruiter came out. Sold them for 40 each.

Wolfbark used to go for like $60-70 last I checked, and I'm sure it was prob a bit higher at some point.

Wait, if we're counting jump promos, legal slifer was 80-100 until reprint in gold dropped it to like 45

I didn't realize this had dropped. Thought it was still around 100 due to the boss promo art from Takahashi.

Cards to hold

These cards have a special place in the game. Although, each card has its respective highs and lows, everything on the list was inexpensive upon release and remained relevant across multiple formats. These aren’t necessarily the hype cards like DAD, JD or Draco which fell in price. These cards rewarded the savvy investor who can predict value/time.

Cyber Dragon

supers: $15-20 à $30

ulti: $30 à $50

Cyber Dragon was the face of competitive yugioh during the beatdown format in September 2005. Goat control had been stripped of its power, and 2100 attack was quite difficult to overcome. Cyber dragon would see play all the way through the monarch formats and into 2007.

D Draw

$20 à $75

Destiny Draw peaked during Perfect Circle (Summer 07) and faded to $30-$40 by Christmas. Its relevance spread from release into Zombie and Teledad decks, but then the D-hero/dark engine got dismantled by the March 2009 banlist.

Detiny Hero - Malicious

$20 à $60

Malicious traded with D Draw as the most expensive card from DP05. It peaked to $50 in Spring 07 and faded away with its semi-limitation during September 07 format.  Then, Jonathan Labounty won the first SJC of the new format with the recently dismissed PC monarch deck. The price fluctuated between $30-$40, but the price reached its peak when they unlimited Mali in September 08.  

Card Trooper

$30 à $80+

Card Trooper, like the former Duelist pack cards set a trend for years.  Card Trooper was not originally run in DDT (the consensus best deck prior to banning Dimension Fusion). Once every tier 1 deck ran three (bazooper, DDT, PC, Monarch, Machine, Troop Dupe etc), the price jumped to $60, and then over $80 during nationals season when the machine duplication combo ran wild.

Dark Strike Fighter

$30 à$70

The fact that Dark Strike Fighter was a super rare made it much easier to pull. I’m not sure people realized how rampant the card would become. That is, until Summoner Monk got released March 31st 2009 and you could 2-card combo into DSF plus an airbellum. Cat Synchro, Blackwings, and even Glad Beast could play the card. Dark Strike dominated Nats 2010 and then quickly hit the ban-hammer.

Fiendish Chain

$5 à$50

An effect negation and battle deterrent in one? It was good to be Fiendish chain in 2012 (Through 2014, even after reprints). This card remained at $10 for an entire year, but the emergence of wind-ups and inzektors prompted its rise to staple status.  

Duality

$30 à $140

Everyone hyped duality and warning, but no one knew the importance of duality upon release. A few weeks and a Gravekeeper win later, the playset jumped to $400. Very few could compete without multiple duality, and the tin reprint was welcomed by many.

Warning

Super: $20 à $40 à $80

Ultimate: $30 à$50 à$100

There was no better trap in the game. You ran three if you had them, but most couldn’t afford triple warning and triple duality. Warning has maintained value all the way through each limitation and reprinting.

Vanity’s Emptiness

$.10 à$10à$15à$40+

No card has increased its value quite like emptiness. Its popularity began in the Mono-Mermail format. From there, the price stabilized at $15 until Duelist Alliance dropped. The card has remained a staple at three ever since.

Maxx “C”

$5à$80

Billy Brake popularized Maxx “C” to combat Wind-ups.  This is probably the best sleeper card besides emptiness or tour guide. The only thing that could kill its value was a reprint, and even then, the super rare was worth between $8-$12 up until Duelist Alliance.

Tour Guide

$20 à $200

The ultimate cash card. Very few people were willing to invest $30 on a card whose sole purpose was to tutor Sangan. During Tengu Plant format, this was a novelty. When XYZ dropped, it was a must. TGU pushed $200 during the “detach Sangan” days. Konami changed the ruling, and the value dropped to $80-$100 very quickly. Had you missed the early boat on TGU, this was your only shot because the card increased by $5 every day for the next 2 weeks.

Abyssmegalo

$40à$120

I sat at my computer looking at Megalo valued at $40 and thought, “I’ll wait. It’s just sneak peak prices.” Boy, was I wrong! Mermails had been the first legit tier 0 deck since plant synchro or x-saber decks prior. Lord of the Tachyon Galaxy brought decks which could easily defeat the tidal mermail decks of the time, but the water strategy persisted on into the January 2014 format, where it regained tier 1 status.

Dante

$20à$40à$60à$100

We are still in the Burning Abyss era, so we haven’t seen the end of Dante. Its price was unexpected due to Shaddoll hype and a lack of OCG comparison. Before New Challengers, Rubic’s effect was incorrectly leaked and everyone thought it had an effect to draw 1 and special summon itself once discarded. At this time, Dante hit a ceiling above $100.

Honorary Mention: Big Eye, Bujin Yamato, Majesty’s Fiend, Dracossack, Dark Armed Dragon, Wind-up Zenmaines, Judgment Dragon, Zaborg, Lavalval Chain, Crush Card Virus, Kizan, Gateway of the Six, Kristya

Cards to hold

These cards have a special place in the game. Although, each card has its respective highs and lows, everything on the list was inexpensive upon release and remained relevant across multiple formats. These aren’t necessarily the hype cards like DAD, JD or Draco which fell in price. These cards rewarded the savvy investor who can predict value/time.

Cyber Dragon

supers: $15-20 à $30

ulti: $30 à $50

Cyber Dragon was the face of competitive yugioh during the beatdown format in September 2005. Goat control had been stripped of its power, and 2100 attack was quite difficult to overcome. Cyber dragon would see play all the way through the monarch formats and into 2007.

D Draw

$20 à $75

Destiny Draw peaked during Perfect Circle (Summer 07) and faded to $30-$40 by Christmas. Its relevance spread from release into Zombie and Teledad decks, but then the D-hero/dark engine got dismantled by the March 2009 banlist.

Detiny Hero - Malicious

$20 à $60

Malicious traded with D Draw as the most expensive card from DP05. It peaked to $50 in Spring 07 and faded away with its semi-limitation during September 07 format.  Then, Jonathan Labounty won the first SJC of the new format with the recently dismissed PC monarch deck. The price fluctuated between $30-$40, but the price reached its peak when they unlimited Mali in September 08.  

Card Trooper

$30 à $80+

Card Trooper, like the former Duelist pack cards set a trend for years.  Card Trooper was not originally run in DDT (the consensus best deck prior to banning Dimension Fusion). Once every tier 1 deck ran three (bazooper, DDT, PC, Monarch, Machine, Troop Dupe etc), the price jumped to $60, and then over $80 during nationals season when the machine duplication combo ran wild.

Dark Strike Fighter

$30 à$70

The fact that Dark Strike Fighter was a super rare made it much easier to pull. I’m not sure people realized how rampant the card would become. That is, until Summoner Monk got released March 31st 2009 and you could 2-card combo into DSF plus an airbellum. Cat Synchro, Blackwings, and even Glad Beast could play the card. Dark Strike dominated Nats 2010 and then quickly hit the ban-hammer.

Fiendish Chain

$5 à$50

An effect negation and battle deterrent in one? It was good to be Fiendish chain in 2012 (Through 2014, even after reprints). This card remained at $10 for an entire year, but the emergence of wind-ups and inzektors prompted its rise to staple status.  

Duality

$30 à $140

Everyone hyped duality and warning, but no one knew the importance of duality upon release. A few weeks and a Gravekeeper win later, the playset jumped to $400. Very few could compete without multiple duality, and the tin reprint was welcomed by many.

Warning

There was no better trap in the game. You ran three if you had them, but most couldn’t afford triple warning and triple duality. Warning has maintained value all the way through each limitation and reprinting.

Vanity’s Emptiness

$.10 à$10à$15à$40+

No card has increased its value quite like emptiness. Its popularity began in the Mono-Mermail format. From there, the price stabilized at $15 until Duelist Alliance dropped. The card has remained a staple at three ever since.

Maxx “C”

$5à$80

Billy Brake popularized Maxx “C” to combat Wind-ups.  This is probably the best sleeper card besides emptiness or tour guide. The only thing that could kill its value was a reprint, and even then, the super rare was worth between $8-$12 up until Duelist Alliance.

Tour Guide

$20 à $200

The ultimate cash card. Very few people were willing to invest $30 on a card whose sole purpose was to tutor Sangan. During Tengu Plant format, this was a novelty. When XYZ dropped, it was a must. TGU pushed $200 during the “detach Sangan” days. Konami changed the ruling, and the value dropped to $80-$100 very quickly. Had you missed the early boat on TGU, this was your only shot because the card increased by $5 every day for the next 2 weeks.

Abyssmegalo

$40à$120

I sat at my computer looking at Megalo valued at $40 and thought, “I’ll wait. It’s just sneak peak prices.” Boy, was I wrong! Mermails had been the first legit tier 0 deck since plant synchro or x-saber decks prior. Lord of the Tachyon Galaxy brought decks which could easily defeat the tidal mermail decks of the time, but the water strategy persisted on into the January 2014 format, where it regained tier 1 status.

Dante

$20à$40à$60à$100

We are still in the Burning Abyss era, so we haven’t seen the end of Dante. Its price was unexpected due to Shaddoll hype and a lack of OCG comparison. Before New Challengers, Rubic’s effect was incorrectly leaked and everyone thought it had an effect to draw 1 and special summon itself once discarded. At this time, Dante hit a ceiling above $100.

Honorary Mention: Big Eye, Bujin Yamato, Majesty’s Fiend, Dracossack, Dark Armed Dragon, Wind-up Zenmaines, Judgment Dragon, Zaborg, Lavalval Chain, Crush Card Virus, Kizan, Gateway of the Six, Kristya

Beautiful. A great read.

But did Trooper actually hit $80 a piece ?!?

Warning

This actually wasn't strictly true. For most of the format, most decks preferred to only use the two. The exception was gravekeepers, but every other deck preferred using 2 because it wasn't actually as amazing as normal during the format, due to the composition of decks in the format (iirc the best decks were gks, frogs, plants, and blackwings). It only jumped to 80 when Six sams were on the horizen and people realized that not only were sams going to run all 3 because Shi En backed by warning was pretty much the game, but everyone else had to run all 3 solemns to try to beat shi en/gateway/united.

That, and the fact that six sams were so busted the only thing that you could really top with was sams or gk, both running the full set of 3.